Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

to save the rest of your from my inane renderings I've created this wee thread. a bit like the idiot projects, only more art rather than project focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the electromagnetic spectrum chokes on cock

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they added a bunch of poo poo to Reason and I can't catch up anymore so my creative endeavours are dead

for now
get back into it my mate

thats iphone 4 resolution. its not finished rendering but thats going to be for my phone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

the app background and the lock screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Linux Pirate posted:

im digging the faded look of the first one

keep it up echinopsis

ketupnosis

cheers bud. sun and sky lighting when it's low angle tends to do that, it's a naturally low contrast time of day which helps with photos! yeah I kinda like it too an it works well as home screen wallpaper coz it's not too in your face

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

noice renders mate *cracks open fosters beer in your honor*

imagine if I could trade renders for key cap sets. man I would be set for life. thanks for the virtual beer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that couldnt make me happier :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

Yeah, that's great and all echi

but is it as cool as the Apple logo if it were made of cocaine?

i like your simulation friend. the high levels of particles makes it solid. love

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like your work doctor

iphone 4:
more samples

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

extremely cool poo poo echi

thanks brother

axolotl farmer posted:

post some links to the software and tutorials and stuff

blender.org
luxrender.net

the tutorials is me trawling forums trying to pick poo poo up and reading the manuals and using my "creative prowess" lmao

if anyone has cool ideas I might executre them if I find time. i can't thnk of anyting new myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking, instead of projecting the light from the logo onto a background, I project it on to a very thin scattering volume with a higgh scattering rate, it would look similar but then I could have an alpha channel on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BONGHITZ posted:

render a dick and balls

now see theres my problem. im poo poo on the modelling side of things. maybe i could give it a go.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah what happened to that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i started like the 5th iteration after deciding that I needed to simplify significantly if I ever wanted to finish it at all. but then I remembered all the cool things I had done that werent in this one. and I couldnt make up my mind abuot things or get things looking the way I wanted because I am terrible at 3d modelling. i have tumblr blogged about my intentions lots but they never pan out

and then ther is the simply fact that the indie game market is so incredibly saturated, and there is virtually no way to make any money off it, and it takes a lot of time and effort to finish a game, and just so no one will ever play it? i have more fun making it and so I just came to a point where when it wasnt fun anymore, I gave up, because finishing it for the sake of it seems a bit pointless

im still proud of what I managed to ahcieve

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jony ive aces posted:

all you need is a cylinder and some spheres

then make it shoot light into a prism

jesus

atomicthumbs posted:

does it have to be computer creativity

Ligature by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

nice! and yeah post your non computer creative poo poo for the winnnn

NoneMoreNegative posted:

echi try Sculptris, its free and is very much a non-3d-brain person's modelling tool - it's just virtual clay you can tug and squeeze

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

Its what I used to sculpt Frank here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:217184

in a few hours while learning the prog.

Also I was covering a cabaret tonight, but I'm sure sword swallowing and knife throwing photos wouldn't fit in with all the computer stuff.

I use the sculpting part of blender, I like the dynotopo feature. I just don't have the patience for great modelling usually. I'll post some horrendous poo poo I've made another time

vodkat posted:

This is really cool and I too want to play about with light and computers and poo poo, where should I start?

blender and luxrender are what I use and they are open source and currently maintained. the initial learning curve is a bit steep but once u get the hang it's fine and I can answer the questions

PLATONIC ANAL VORE posted:

try modelling, echi, low poly stuff is easy and fun

im working on a calendar thing right now

yeah I like te low poly poo poo, and have done a fair bit but I still don't tend to have the patience to make poo poo look good,

ironically I can spend hours fiddling with variables to get the render to look better :/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just thought this place/thread could also be a free crit thread. dont aim to hurt peoples feelings

at times I'm not sure how sure to react yo your pictures. im always intrigued by each image but not always sure why... and in part they make me feel not good enough to view them, or not good enough coz i don't get them? idk.. america has lots of photo opportunities but its amazing how america is always america... drat son. thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just what the internet lacks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what> i dont use wondiows 10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

this program is neat but it crashes every time I get too excited pressing things in it

blender is surprisngly capable at sculpting and it had a dynamic topology thing where you can just add mesh density on the fly when sculpting depending on your needs which is actually a handy as gently caress feature . it's not as good at millions of polys like the pro apps but fine for what you're wanna do I suspect and then also u have direct rendering pipeline rather than relying in something else

scultpris might be capable too but it feels like a toy, like baby's first sculpting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

don't make game

make demo

like a demo of the game? I already did kinda. I released it and you could do some poo poo but there is just so kuch else for people to in life rather so

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DNova posted:

one of you nerds should make me a sw8 rendering of total internal reflectance in a parallelogram with some dimensions I can specify after I shake you down for your lunch money

bring it

NoneMoreNegative posted:

gently caress newfangled led-based stage lighting that puts out a bunch of narrow colour bands that play havoc with camera sensors. I'm mad as hell :mad:

/makes pics black & white as a Hail Mary.

sucks for you but interesting overall

sensors will need to get beta

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eh so I made a parallelogram and threw some light at it. dispersion dawgs

there is this thing called cauchy and its a value and if you put it at one it disperses liek fuckin mad. its not the same as IOR, i think its more, how does a change in IOR affect different wavelengths.

anyway, i cranked that value and then animated the IOR. this is just a quick min/frame render. its somewhat unimpressive

and a bit bigger but still noisy as poo poo

currently constructing an animation of the parallelogram spinning on the through the page axis over 120 frames.. a minute per frame is noisy as poo poo but still 2 hours total lol.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont know the phenomenom where a small bandwidth of wavelengths is reflected off at the top but those colours are nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im setting up an overnight render atm. shame i can't rope my gpu into doing this poo poo for me i'd get a much nicer result. thanks for the positive

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is how nice it gets overnight

I posted this one the first post but I left it rendering for another half day on top of that. still a bit of noise on the inside of the prism and i dont know whats going on with the big blue dot but its smooth

wish i had a render farm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cranked up the scattering on the inside of the parallelogram.. you can visualise the light splitting a bit easier BUT coz its scattering it's losing fidelty in doing so. welp

noisy as poo poo too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the abruptness is not what i was expecting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
doing a few stills from when the beam hits the point and it splits many ways, at different IORs

Sham bam bamina! posted:

cool render echo :toot:

thanks for readsing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a still.. the parallolgram had lots of noise so i used this thing where you can focus the samples but its made it look photoshoped or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
next up -> pentagram????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://gfycat.com/CelebratedBackAfricanpiedkingfisher

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the cool red flash part is where the IOR goes <1

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
index of refraction

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fu8ck yea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah it looks splotch

just had another idea what I want to so but my rig is broken down and in boxes ready for transport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

is it a bug, or is it accurate?

I think basically it's uneven in it's progress towards convergence of the correct solution

• Locked thread