Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
So I'm traveling in New Zealand for a year, and I'm trying to find a suitable car for driving. I'd prefer a hatchback I can sleep in to save on accommodation, and hope to be able to sell at the end of the year. I'm currently looking at http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/toyota/auction-924431541.htm, and some others in a similar price range.

My goals are:

Relearn driving manual (with my left hand this time!)

Be able to evaluate the general health of my vehicle.

Resell without losing too much money in the process.

Do you goons have any advice, recommendations, or warnings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming

Anphear posted:

For a $1600 car you are still going to be spending $250-300 on Registration for the Year, 2, 6 monthly inspection $50 ea. and probably $400 to 500 for full insurance cover, which may or may not include your possessions.

Unfortunate for me my budget leans towards 2000, but I'll be able to talk this guy into something closer to 1000 as he wants to get rid of it. The reg is going to be brought up to date by him,
[quote]
It should be noted that we have plenty of Cheap/ free camp grounds around the country. Please refer to this bad boy https://www.rankers.co.nz/respect

I'm actually shopping in country right now. The carib sounds okay in running, and my atrophied manual skills didn't detect a lovely gear box. Points against it are a chunk missing on the wheel well left rear, and a chunk of wood replacing the handle.

I am looking at others as well, but this trip is more about learning what my limits are, this includes camping rough or convincing backpacker that it's worth more than I paid. I won't necessarily spend the entire year in it, as a friend I made in Australia has offered her house rent free.

Being in Auckland kinda limits my search for the moment.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming

Two Finger posted:

Where in Auckland are you? The Ellerslie car fair is on every Sunday morning and you can find half decent things there, BUT you need to be aware every dodgy motherfucker trying to flog a clapped out van is gonna be there too.

I'm in the CBD, and I'm starting to lean towards the Carib Sprinter.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
So I ended up getting a Subaru Legacy, and I'm currently chilling in Cambridge. New features I've discovered on my car:

The FM band on the radio cuts out and goes no higher than 90.0.
The driver's seat will not lock into place. I only tried to recline the one time!
The passenger seat will not so much as budge from it's position. It's basically exactly opposite.

All that said it drives, and maybe I can figure out how to fix these things.

• Locked thread