Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
My brother and I drove all over the North Island in a Suzuki Cultus we bought for $300 with a bit of body damage and gave it away to family when we left. I'm pretty sure it's still on the road.

If I were you I'd buy a kei van like a Suzuki Carry; 4WD if you can find it. Stick in a mattress, an icebox and a few rubbermaid bins for storage and off you go. I think all the kei vans have a full 6 foot cargo area, but check just in case. These vans are about as simple as transport gets, a handful of wrenches, 2 screwdrivers and a hammer make up a full toolkit and they are light enough that one person can get unstuck from sand or gravel with a few tools.

I'm not sure where you are from and therefore what kind of currency you are converting to fund your travels, but if you're American you are in luck, the dollar is back to trading about $2us to $3nz so gas is only about $5.20/gallon instead of the $8/gallon it's been in the last few years. Still it makes a light fuel efficient vehicle make sense. It's a small country and all the things worth seeing are way out on small tar-sealed roads, you'll rarely be making better than 50mph.

What kind of adventure is it without the fear of death from a parking lot speed wreck?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/suzuki/auction-926720381.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread