Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
I work as a tow truck driver and come across some deals on cars that are just too good to pass up.
Here are a few of my projects.

87 Nissan Noodle Body

Got this out of impound, painted it black, dropped the torsion bars and put in a glass pack.
Wiring in the truck was a loving joked, some cobbled start switch and headlights wired to a switch then straight to power, no fuse, no relay.

See, Noodle Body!

My plans for the noodle body was to trop the rear, weld the diff and swap in a KA and 5-speed, buuuuutttttt a few days ago this appeared!

Mother loving headlight luvers!

Now my plans are to take all the good bits off the ramen machine and put them on this 86.

Air Horn!

Now onto the AE92's

89 Corolla GTS Bigport

88 Corolla LE 4-Door

Plans are to rip apart this mint GTS and put all the good poo poo into the 4-door, should be fun. so if anyone needs 2 door ae92 body parts let me know, even the front fenders are rust free!

450,xxxkm and still going strong.

And The AMC Eagle, last on my list of things to do.
83 4.2l L6 Automatic 80's time machine.

And my tow truck,

2010 F-350 V-10 gas whore, Lowered, 5-th wheel plate, wintch. 6-foot for underground parking lots. also has a 450pound counterweight because the v-10 just isn't heavy enough.

I will try and keep this thread updated, work on the noodle body should progress fairly quickly.

edit: fixed huge pics.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Your cars are huge.

I've always wanted an AMC Eagle, but the working ones are auto and the manuals are broken by some idiot.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 9, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Why do they call it a noodle body? Flimsy flexible frame?

...And I never really thought people used a gasoline engine in a 350-class truck for actual work. Is it just that it's cheaper up front than a diesel or are there other advantages?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Friar Zucchini posted:

Why do they call it a noodle body? Flimsy flexible frame?

...And I never really thought people used a gasoline engine in a 350-class truck for actual work. Is it just that it's cheaper up front than a diesel or are there other advantages?

Its actually called a hardbody, I just called it a noodle body because of all the swiss cheese rust.

And the reason its a gas-pot is the company I work for was having lots of issues with 6.0 and 6.4l so they got 6 gas trucks, the gas trucks are being phased out now since the 6.7l is out.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

A few more pictures of the eagle and 4-door rolla

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Eagle owns. If I had unlimited land and cars, an eagle with a 99 5mt cherokee merge would happen.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Bonus Toyota Content Alert

My roommate was driving his 88 cressida today and lost brakes. Got it home and the problem was quickly found and repaired

Replaced the rubber line and all is good. The retaining c clip was a bastard!

Bonus pics:

we swapped in a 5-speed from a supra about 6 months back.

ah 80's digital dash.

Plans for the Cressida are to turbo it and install this divorced downpipe, and eventually a 2jz.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So i found out today that the blue nissan truck needs a clutch, not a big deal, just need the cash.
In the meantime i have started to remove the engine in the corolla gts.

front subframe is ready to drop, then just need to do the same to the 4-door.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

More progress on the gts tear down.

My Cambodian tire Mastercrap impact gun took a poo poo so i took it back for an replacement.

*don't return to store* gently caress that!

Found some rust under the side skirt, but gently caress it this car is getting scrapped.

test fitting the side skirts to the 4-door, just gotta drill some holes for mounting.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

On the subject of towing,

Had to help recover a twin-steer cement truck that got stuck when the ground under the rear wheels gave way.
Brought out the 1998 western star tandem wrecker.

Only damage was a dent in the fuel tank.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Holy cow that Hardbody. Too bad about the rust. I'm pretty sure the automatics are super rare. I've only personally seen one, and it had a column shifter.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

More Towing pictures:

Towed a absolutely pristine 1974 MG MGB.

Owner swapped in a all aluminum Buick V8 similar to the Rover V8, 5-speed trans and 4.11 posi-track out back, headers and full exhaust, even had racing harnesses installed.

Bonus Motorcycles!
After opening his garage to put the MG in i spotted the holy grail of motorcycles, he was nice enough to let me snap some pictures.

Mint Honda Super Sport

Drag Bike

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

eberbs posted:

More Towing pictures:

Towed a absolutely pristine 1974 MG MGB.

Wow. Those are in amazing condition. What was the story with the MGB? Failed Lucas electrics? Any good stories from the road?

I suppose I shouldn't complain about Lucas, I daily drove an MGA for 2 summers and was never once left stranded :britain:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Gorson posted:

Wow. Those are in amazing condition. What was the story with the MGB? Failed Lucas electrics? Any good stories from the road?

I suppose I shouldn't complain about Lucas, I daily drove an MGA for 2 summers and was never once left stranded :britain:

Not sure on the exact issue, owner said it would purr like a kitten then out of nowhere it falls flat on its face, more than likely electronics like you suggested.

I have a few good stories, I can write them out and post them although some of the senior drivers have some good stories, lots of bodies found in trunks in the impound yard.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

eberbs posted:

lots of bodies found in trunks in the impound yard.

:cenobite:

Start here please. Don't leave out any details.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

RIP Paul Walker posted:

:cenobite:

Start here please. Don't leave out any details.

These are all stories that were told to me by the old timers.

Dave goes to a call for an illegally parked car called in by the police. Cop is on seen and says he is unable to contact the registered owner of said car. Dave then motions for the cop to turn around and as he does Dave says "is that him". The owner was hanging from a tree 15 feet in the air.

Box truck that had been Jerry rigged into a workshop\camper was towed into the yard. Has an odd smell but when the back was opened to inspect only tools could be seen. Weeks later the smell is to much to ignore, then the camper area was discovered in the middle of the truck separated by a door. Old guy died and sat in there for who knows how long.

Big accident about 10 years ago, 4 teens in a yellow honda crx (2 seater) 3 in the front 1 in the hatch, 180km down the highway and they loose control and hit the median sending them into a ditch. the guy in the hatch was thrown so far into the bushes it took hours and a search dog to find him. they suspect he was the one who initially called 911. they all ended up dieing and one of the girls was an organ donor and all they could save was her eyes.

Cops search a car and then release it to us to impound. while looking through the car to catalog its contents a gun is found under the seat. cops didn't check that well.

Guy gets clipped by a pup trailer of a dumptruck and squished. driver shows up and finds the guys un eaten mcdonalds on the ground picks it up and starts to eat it. i think he said it made one of the cops ralf.

Girl gets pushed infront of bus and head is pancaked. teeth stuck in the treads of the bus tire.

And lots of dead bodies found in trunks after the smell gets bad, dont know if its mostly suicide or murder or what.

I will write out some more when i can sitdown and do it and will see if i can find newspaper articals on some of this poo poo.

Here is a video of that cement truck recovery if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3ZOt2Gmic

eberbs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 16, 2015

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Story time.

I usually drive a wrecker unless its the weekend and the ramp drivers are off and they really need me to switch into a ramp.
So i get a call to pickup a 1956 Benz 300sel that just sold for over 2million u.s. its that nice. So i jump into the hino 238 ramp and get to work.

The load goes flawlessly.

Then the unthinkable (sorry in advance for the lovely potato pics i was still shaking while taking them).

The motherfucking truck starts to roll away as im about to start unloading the loving 2 million dollor car! gently caress!

Due to the changing angle of the driveway as the truck rolled the deck began to drag and lifted the rear axle into the are causing the truck to pickup more speed.

Amazingly absolutely no damage to the car and just a few scrapes on the hino thank loving christ. The truck was stopped by a few large rocks, if they had not been there the truck would be sitting in there living room.

Still trying to figure out what caused the truck to roll but after getting back to the yard and testing the hand brake it was found to be not doing a loving thing. The truck was in park also so the trans may need a looking at. When the truck began to roll i heard the airtank blowoff witch usually indicates that the rear airbags are re-inflating and the pto is slowing down because the truck thinks it going forward. I suspect the PTO system has a short somewhere and it dissengaged and caused all sorts of poo poo fuckery to ensue. All in all very very lucky. the truck is parked and going to the shop tomorrow until this can be figured out.

PTO- power take off (runs the trucks hydraulics) Truck must be in park with the handbrake on to enable.

edit: forgot to mention the truck has a micro lock for the brakes (locks all 4 brakes). I suspect the valve is faulty and pressure bled away. Usually the trucks are kept in pristine running order, it was just the perfect storm for me to poo poo my loving pants.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 17, 2015

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

With the absolute worst load on deck, too. :stare:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
So was the owner standing there as it started rolling away?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jesus loving christ, that would be terrifying.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought line lockers on trucks released air, thus locking all the drums on all the wheels?

I guess keeping some chocks around would be a good idea

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

You Am I posted:

I thought line lockers on trucks released air, thus locking all the drums on all the wheels?

The truck has juice brakes, and yes a wheel chock would have been a good idea but you can bet your rear end I'll be chocking like a mad man now.
The trucks get a full government inspection yearly and a full service ever 5000k. It is going in for a full re-inspection.
Might be awhile before I want to jump into that truck again, loving thing.

And yes the owner was standing behind me and after it happened calmly said "I need to go make a phone call" and went inside.
He and his wife were very cool and understanding, we move cars for them on a regular basis.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Dumb question... What kind of licence do you need to drive a tow truck? Class B?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Dumb question... What kind of licence do you need to drive a tow truck? Class B?

It's a class 5 (regular car licence) for wreckers and single axle flat beds with juice brakes and a class 1 for our 7-ton single axle wrecker , our 27-ton tandem wrecker and our tandem axle tractor/land-all trailer combo. So basically regular licence for anything without air brakes.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Big crash this morning.

Cops think he was going about 150kmph and hit a tree, driver was ejected and is in a coma and possibly paralyzed.

And the flatdeck that rolled away on me came back from the shop. e-brake now works, line lock was replaced and a few small issues were fixed.

Also saw this at a shop today, no idea what it was.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Judging by the number plate, it's an Allard M1. Only made for two years by a tiny firm in London. You're probably never going to see another one.
e: They made just under 500 of them, and apparently Dirk Bogarde drove one. It might even be that one, I don't imagine many of them made it to North America.

Wolfsbane fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 23, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Those rims make me think VW kit car. And not to be rude but any time a liberty is taken off the road its a good thing.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

SouthsideSaint posted:

Those rims make me think VW kit car. And not to be rude but any time a liberty is taken off the road its a good thing.

i should have taken a picture of the inside of the allard but it is definetly not a kit car. and i aggree with the liberty statment.
and the guy in the liberty was ejected so far they thought he had fled the scene.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine anybody bothering to make a kit car of the ugliest allard. Especially when legit l-types are only worth about 40 grand.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

eberbs posted:

i should have taken a picture of the inside of the allard but it is definetly not a kit car. and i aggree with the liberty statment.
and the guy in the liberty was ejected so far they thought he had fled the scene.

That's cool. I was just internet speculating and thought those looked like old bug rims. Plus by me almost all old cool cars that look like that are sitting on a Volkswagen frame :downsgun:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Did a flat repair on a 2015 jeep.

That's a metal coat hanger stuck in the tire. who the gently caress even uses those anymore?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
^
Dry cleaning places.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eberbs posted:

well, they weren't wrong, it just wasn't voluntary on his part.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

^
Dry cleaning places.

Also underground abortion clinics and AI shadetree TIG welders.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Had take that liberty out of our compound to the police station so they can do there thing with it.

Took more pictures.

Used a forklift to unload it.

just giver a tune-up and she's good for another 5000k

Edit: also picked up a 2001 ford focus with 150k km for $300. I know they are heaps of poo poo but it was too cheap not to buy. Just gonna vacuum it and flip the bitch.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 25, 2015

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

You Am I posted:

I can't comment on tow trucks, as I drive semis, but yes.

The brake cans on air brake trucks contain springs, which are compressed by air pressure when the system is charged. When you want to park, you are cutting the air off, allowing the previously mentioned gigantic coil springs in the brake cans to squeeze the brake shoes against the drums. Air brakes are essentially fool proof and incredibly strong, assuming you actually pull the buttons, which I have seen multiple drivers fail to do, including one gigantic sleeper at a truck stop. It rolled all the way through a fuel aisle, down a small embankment and up onto a curb, where it came to rest. The only occupant being the driver's dog and the only damage being to his pride.

I don't trust anything over 5000 lbs without air brakes. Air gives you an unlimited supply of braking power, short of a gigantic leak which triggers multiple warning sounds and lights long before the brakes lock, plus you can usually easily hear a leak. As a bonus, you can generally fix most leaks with emergency tape. Basically the margin for error with air brakes is massive.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 25, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Holy poo poo that transfer case is inside out! That's an amazing crash.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So progress on the Nissan's and Corolla's has basically come to a stand still until I can sell this ford fuckus I got for $300.

It was impounded because the owner was drunk and they hit a parked car.
Bent the upper and lower rad supports but other than that its in good shape aside from being a 2001 ford focus, im just hoping the valve seats don't drop on me.

And on a side note we have a bobcat in impound that was used to dig a hole that a body was buried in. I have a feeling its going to be here awhile.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Took the Noodle body (87 hardbody) for a trip today and was tooling around on some logging roads and heard a large bang followed by the sound of metal bouncing and dragging on the ground.

Got out and found this:

Wish i had taken pictures but i passed right by a Forrest fire that was still burning just outside port renfrew on Vancouver island.
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/updated-port-renfrew-lake-cowichan-road-reopens-1.2039848

I still smell like smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

More Tow Stories:

These stories are from an old timer who has seen just about everything.

Black ice:

Call comes in on the Malahat (very dangerous and winding mountain highway on vancouver island), black ice has coated the road and caused a fatal crash.

car rear ended a semi and another semi rear ended the car squishing it in between. 2 passengers in the rear survived but the driver was decapitated with her hands still gripping the wheel and her head sitting in the back seat. The car was tarped and towed with the body still trapped inside.

Out of gas:

Motorcycle pulls infront of a cement truck at a red light, truck doesn't see the biker pull infront. light goes green biker gets crushed.
Turns out the bike ran out of gas sitting at the light. there were finger marks on the front bumper of the truck were the biker had tried to pull himself out. His head exploded like a watermelon inside his helmet.

Armour-All:

Motorcycle Armour-all's his tires tread and all, takes a tight corner and ping pongs off 3 cars, lost his foot and some fingers but he lived.

Street Racers:

2 dumbass teens street racing downtown lose control going in excess of 120kmph and slid into a crowded bus stop killing 1 and injuring 3. The underside of the car was caked in blood entrails and small body parts. The car was taken to a secluded racetrack for testing, measuring yaw and tilt and all that poo poo to find out exactly what happened. stupid loving street racers.

edit: incorrect body count.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 28, 2015

• Locked thread