Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

eberbs posted:

Tested the 70's VHS player today and it doesn't work. all the elastic drive bands are loose and crusty. thinking about getting it repaired.

Those old VCRs are easy as pie to repair and well documented if you wanted to do it yourself. You should be able to find replacement drive bands pretty easily. It's probably not worth having someone else do it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
dug into the free trailer a bit today.

the canopy is in pretty lovely condition so ill see if i can get a case of beer or something for it.

it was filled with mostly clothes and scrap metal.

heres the "good stuff" lots of knifes and shanks and a few random things i cannot identify

like what the gently caress is this thing?

must have had a sale on garden hose at cambodian tire because the hole thing was held together with it.

then took a 450km road trip in the noodle body with a co-worker to pickup a new motor for his 89 CRX.

V-Tec bro.

edit: so i think that silver cylinder thing is a strut for a door for like a school or commercial building and another item was a optic mount for a gun of some sort but i know nothing about guns, never even fired one but this is what i found about it.
https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/lpm-optic-mount-with-side-rail

eberbs fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 25, 2015

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Silver thing looks like the strut from an office chair.
Owl thing looks cool though

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

just got a call from the inspection facility where i took the silver civic.
it needs alot more work than i thought.

inner tire rod
upper ball joints
shifter linkage bushing
rear upper control arm bushings
rear trailing arm bushings
rear brake lines
front pads and rotors
drivers window roller
wheel allignment.
and a few other minor issues.

guy at the shop said it looks like the car took a big hit on the rear driverside tire and bent poo poo and the PO did a ghetto repair job and the alignment is out to lunch.
I think the 2 hardest jobs for me will be the inner tie rod because i dont have the tool to remove them and the rear brake lines (running from the front of the car to the rear) because gently caress brake lines.
im going to price out the parts and see if its even worth fixing this poo poo or just selling it as is with the inspection report.
loving hondas.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

eberbs posted:

loving hondas $200 cars

Fixed it.

I love this thread - I would have to own a place with a very big driveway if I had access to some of those deals you're getting.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

Fixed it.

I love this thread - I would have to own a place with a very big driveway if I had access to some of those deals you're getting.

im starting to get in over my head, i have a few more cars i can get my hands on for cheap but im out of driveway space while im working on getting the civic,corolla and now the ghetto trailer out of here. im going to need to rent a loving shop if this keeps up.
Im going to try and sell the rolled subaru as a whole car instead of pulling the drivetrain out because of the driveway space issues and i need the cash to put into these other poo poo heaps. one of the cars i might be getting soon is a early 90's f-150 4x4 with the 5.0l and a 5-speed. i will update when its a sure thing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Just rent the tie rod tool from Canuckistani Tire; their inner tie rod tool should help you knock out a Honda-sized nut.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just rent the tie rod tool from Canuckistani Tire; their inner tie rod tool should help you knock out a Honda-sized nut.

that's most likely what i will do. there is another tool rental place around the corner but i am banned from there but that's another story involving lovely widow maker spring compressors that just about took my head off.

got some pricing for the civic parts.

inner tirerod- $38 each
upper ball joints- $23 each
Trailing arm bushings- $44 each
Pads\Rotors $27 for pads and $34 for rotors if its the 240mm brakes a little more if its the 262mm, i have yet to look at them.
all the other stuff on the list i will be getting from an auto wrecker.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

found a guy who wants the subaru to replace his blown motor and hes doing a 5 speed swap, going to tow it to his house tomorrow and might get the shell back once hes done and make scrap value off it.

and for the civic i figure im going to go to the auto wreckers and just grab a whole rear subframe to avoid doing the bushings and also to hopfully avoid getting a full allignment to pass inspection.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

sold the subaru to the guy i mentioned before. towed it to his house and he is letting me pickup the shell for scrap when hes done with it, and we have a guy who wants the gas tank when we get the shell back. its the car that keeps giving.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

eberbs posted:

yes we could take the windows out correctly but where's the fun in that, plus we can show how difficullit actually is to smash a window. this is useful for lockout training as we mostly use air wedges to pry the door and slide in a long wire tool, and for emergency situations.

Plus glass is only 25-30 a panel at the local yard, so it's almost not worth pulling it instead of popping it after you consider getting the drat door panels apart and stuff, and how fun it is to blast safety glass windows.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so I have a problem and maybe someone here has some insight.

I sold the rolled over Subaru to a guy for $600, half of what I was asking. delivered it on the tow truck and he looked it over for a good 30 minutes and started it up for him.
He said it was perfect and wrote me a cheque (he seemed like a straight edge guy). and i dropped it.

He emails me the next day saying the engine is rougher than he thought and it was 195k miles not km because the trip computer was set to miles. I understand him being a little pissed about that but he had every chance while looking over the car to find that out. plus he was removing the engine to rebuild it.

So I asked him what he think would be fair due to the mileage issue. he emails back and said he wants me to come get the car and give him his money back, after he has removed and reinstalled the engine.

Now today I check my bank and he has bounced the cheque on me. I emailed him and he says he is going to part out the car and give me the money he gets from it.

I emailed him back and told him if he doesn't pay me the $600 I am going to call the police and or take him to court.
Im loving PISSED!
Did I do the right thing?

And to top that off one of my neighbours called bylaw officers on us because they said my roomates Cressida is leaking fluid. I lost my poo poo on the bylaw officers and told them to prove it and showed them all the other oil stains from other vehicles, then the said they were going to call a tow truck so i said "call a tow truck and see what happens" they didn't like that. at this point my roommate comes over and basically gets me to stop my blind rage. i walk away and my roommate dealt with it and it was all good. i apologised to them for being such an rear end and that i was having a lovely day.
Now i want to get revenge on these shithead neighbours. any ideas?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eberbs posted:

I emailed him back and told him if he doesn't pay me the $600 I am going to call the police and or take him to court.
Im loving PISSED!
Did I do the right thing?

What he did sounds illegal; screwing around with cheques is not something the law looks kindly on at all (it's criminal fraud). Still, dealing with the legal system is no fun, even when you're in the right, so see if you can come to a more amicable arrangement even if it ends up with you taking less money. Still, I would insist that any agreement involves you getting the money up-front, not after he's parted the car out and you're trusting him to honestly report what he got. The only thing that could bite you in the rear end is the miles/kilometres discrepancy, but that's a much smaller issue than cheque fraud, so you're probably still in the clear.

I'm not a lawyer, mind you.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Problem solved!

Just got an email from the guy apologizing and attached was a $600 email money transfer.
It lovely because after i left his house after i dropped the car of to him i was happy and thought it was a good deal for everyone.
Live and learn i guess, but i will never be taking any cheques again.
But in the end i know he will sell the parts for more than $600 if he doesn't end up using them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

eberbs posted:

Just got an email from the guy apologizing and attached was a $600 email money transfer.

Dude was totally trying to take you for a ride but you called his bluff, congrats

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Helped a co-worker install fog lights on his 90's F-250 IDI 7.3 he just got.

Then stopped by the auto wreckers and found a grill for the noodle body and on the way home stopped in at princess auto and found some sweet fog lights for $20. then come with the full wiring harness with fuses, relays and switches.

They have a high and low setting as well as a blue running light.

installed behind the new grill.

And put the canopy from the free trailer on the truck.

Installed a set of $20 trailer lights from princess auto on the trailer and had to rewire the trailer wiring on the truck because the PO did it completely wrong.I bought some bearing buddies for the trailer but they don't quite fit but the bearings on the trailer have grease fittings on the inside but they won't take grease and need to be replaced.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

loving Noodle body died on my roommate in the middle of a busy downtown intersection and had to get it towed home.

Alternator packed it in, im guessing the cooler weather might have had an affect on it. $40 for a auto wrecker alt and we are back up and running. Never a dull moment when you drive pieces of poo poo on wheels.

Bonus tow truck pic:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Just another night on the road.

T-Bone collision on the TC-1. Didn't get a picture of the other car but it was about a 2010 mustang. pulled the focus out of the street and had to recover the mustang out of a ditch after the fire dept cut out both occupants. But i smashed my loving knee hard on the back of the tow truck and just about passed out from the pain and had to take 10 while my co-worker finished hooking up, now i cant even push down the e-brake pedal in my truck.
But its all worth it because nothing gets my boom up like a good crash. :unsmigghh:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I like to daydream that I could handle something like ocean salvage. Going to site, patching poo poo up to get some crippled/burning ship home, not getting killed and enjoying a beer afterwards.

Road salvage though? gently caress no, seeing that kind of carnage and injury everyday would kill my mental state inside a month.

Good on you man, I salute your mental fortitude. Also I love reading this thread.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so bylaw came by again today and slapped a big orange sticker on my roommates Cressida for "defacing public property" and stating it will be towed in 12 hours because they say its leaking oil.
My roommate got them to come by and look at the car and basically told them that they have no experience and they are not certified mechanics so they cant tell if its leaking or not.
In the end the bylaw told him to put some cardboard under the car until the oil leak is fixed (there is a very very small oil leak). But I know even after that the fucktard neighbours will still call it in.
But the asswipe neighbours have a parking spot right in front of there house they like to use but I parked the noodle body there and that will be its new permanent residence. im sure they will love to wake up in the morning and see a lovely hard body starring at them. -1 parking spot for poo poo neighbours.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

eberbs posted:

so bylaw came by again today and slapped a big orange sticker on my roommates Cressida for "defacing public property" and stating it will be towed in 12 hours because they say its leaking oil.
My roommate got them to come by and look at the car and basically told them that they have no experience and they are not certified mechanics so they cant tell if its leaking or not.
In the end the bylaw told him to put some cardboard under the car until the oil leak is fixed (there is a very very small oil leak). But I know even after that the fucktard neighbours will still call it in.
But the asswipe neighbours have a parking spot right in front of there house they like to use but I parked the noodle body there and that will be its new permanent residence. im sure they will love to wake up in the morning and see a lovely hard body starring at them. -1 parking spot for poo poo neighbours.

Sounds like you should also go out in the middle of the night and take a poo poo on their lawn, just to be safe. I hate whiny busybodies like that.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

I would love to poo poo on their lawn but its all fenced in. I was thinking of removing their valve stem cores but i don't want to deal with the fallout.

Helped out with a big truck call today. Tandem axle garbage truck blew its engine.

Had to hook a chain to my F350 to the back of it and pull it 20 feet back so our tandem could pull in front of it. GVW of 56k but the v10 powered through it.

Had to drain the air out of the tanks and i swear more water than air came out.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

one of the local auto wreckers told me he was getting a 88-92 corolla today but didn't know what model or anything else about it. stopped by today and its a 91 4wd all-trak wagon. nothing from it i can use unfortunately.

looks like this

but i snapped some pictures of some cool old poo poo.

couple old land barges

I would drive the gently caress out of this thing.

old rear end firetruck

don't know if i would drive this nugget

12valve 3 cylinder.

the battery looks like its out of a loving power wheels.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 10, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That wagon is mint, holy poo poo. Is he just gonna junk it?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That wagon is mint, holy poo poo. Is he just gonna junk it?

that's not the actual car, the one he's got has the usual fender rust and a blown head gasket but has a new rad, tires, belts and battery so it was looked after. but he will most likely just part it out, there are a few still driving around out here and he has another one out in his yard. i think the wagons are ugly as sin but I'm waiting to find an all-trak sedan i can swap all my poo poo into but they are loving rare.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

oh what a day.

My tow truck got a screw in the front tire but it wasn't leaking and my truck gets new front tires in literally 2 loving days so i just said gently caress it and left it there.
Go to pickup a vw corrado and as soon as i drop my wheel lift the screw pops out and the tire starts loosing air fast. I tell the customer i need a few minutes to figure it out. he's cool about it and jokes about having to call a tow truck for a tow truck.
luckily i am one of the few tow truck drivers in our fleet that carries tire plugs (our service trucks carry plugs). so i cram a plug in and tow the guy home. about 2 hours later i get a call out in butt gently caress nowhere for a lockout and when im walking back to my truck i hear the loving tire hissing again. it chucked out the loving plug and im in the middle of nowhere. I reamed the living poo poo out of the tire doused the plug in rubber cement and stuffed the plug in then used all my on board air then had to stop at a tire shop for more air but shes still holding and i hope it does at least for 2 more days.
Then came the rain. lots and lots of rain like crazy once every 5-10 years rain. got a call to tow a guy whos wipers stopped working. ok fine. well i find him on an on ramp to the TC-1 facing the wrong loving way. the guy drove a km in the wrong direction in the rain until he saw headlights coming at him then pulled over and stopped. then got a call for a no start on a mid 90's lexus ls400 (i think) v8 has power but wont crank and i know the starter just needs a tap but i couldn't find it. quick google and its under the loving intake in the Valley just like the 32v northstars. gently caress gotta tow the bitch.
then to top it all off i responded to a crash and got airbag powder and poo poo all over me and that poo poo stinks something fierce. i can still smell it. there was more bullshit today but im trying to forget.
but i still wouldn't trade this job for the world.

and we got a scrap lexus ls 300 (i think) with a v6 and its got some loving voodoo oil driven rad fan. loving weird.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

eberbs posted:

and we got a scrap lexus ls 300 (i think) with a v6 and its got some loving voodoo oil driven rad fan. loving weird.

Some Camrys also had the same fan setup. It's voodoo, but works really well.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

some texas redneck posted:

Some Camrys also had the same fan setup. It's voodoo, but works really well.

Until you have to replace it. It's so expensive. I hear it fails a lot on the sc300s that are driven hard.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got called to a few crazy crashes today.

Jeep and a Corolla T-bone and the jeep goes into a brick sign and some bushes

cant tell in the pictures but the brick under that sign was all knocked out on the other side.

then on my way home i get called to a accident. a 90's integra hit a pedestrian at a cross walk. the car is in our lockup awaiting a mechanical inspection. i suspect his brakes fail due to the large puddle of brake fluid under the car. lovely deal.

Not pictured for obvious reasons is the huge puddle of coagulated blood i had to pour absorb all onto then the police gave me a full escort back to our compound.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

90-91 Integra if that's the stock front clip. Most likely 91. Pretty sure that color was only offered on the RS (higher tirms got a deep maroon instead of bright red), so it's probably a base model. All 90+ Integras had a sunroof, and all 90-93 Integras had fog lights.

(I used to have a 91, roommate at the time had a 90...)

Upside for the owner is he/she never went to JDM lights, so that's one less thing they can hit him with (the JDM lights are far brighter and have a much sharper cutoff, but they're technically illegal in the US, despite being superior in every loving way to the USDM housings)

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

just found both accidence on the local news back to back. if you start the video at 15 minutes you will see both crashes.

http://www.cheknews.ca/10pm-newscast-oct-13-2015-119009/

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

few more pictures of the crash a few nights ago:

And finally got new rubbers on the tow truck

they are some Chinese brand i have never heard of but they don't last long on the front anyways, they are a 16.5' rim and a 17' tire so steers are not available, our bigger trucks use a 17.5' i believe and steers are readily available.

also having problems with the noodle body:

copied from the stupid questions thread.

so my lovely little 87 2wd nissan hardbody isnt charging the battery.

I have been having starting and charging problems with this loving thing since i got it, the po was retarded and i am still finding little surprises.
I just replaced the alt thinking that was the issue and that didnt do poo poo. checked the fusable links off the battery and checked all the fuses and am getting around 12 volts from the fully charged battery and am getting the same reading on the alt. i am pulling my hair out with this poo poo heap. any suggestions are welcome.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Towed a Mitsu Delica out to buttfuck no ware to a private mechanic and he had well over 30 of the loving things in his yard.

sorry for the lovely pics.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

decided I would make a video of my current projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgU33JuK_hY

I found out how to insure the trailer and its easy as gently caress, $28 to register it $18 for a plate $50 for a years insurance and some tax.
fixed the trailer light bracket.

Also had to move the Honda onto my front yard, now my yard is full.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Loaded up one of our last old 6.4L trucks. End of an Era.
Sold for around 30k, but the head gasket needs replacing, it blew 2 days before the truck was to come off the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
gently caress the 6.0/6.4 forever.

I hear good things about the 6.7 though. Both of them, that is.

e: I had no idea the mitsu delica even existed. Those are kinda cool, in a funky weird tinyvan sort of way.

kastein fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 28, 2015

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

kastein posted:

gently caress the 6.0/6.4 forever.

I hear good things about the 6.7 though. Both of them, that is.

e: I had no idea the mitsu delica even existed. Those are kinda cool, in a funky weird tinyvan sort of way.

yah the 6.0/6.4 are loving garbage but all the trucks we had with those motors had straight through exhaust and sounded loving mean when you spool the turbo. we have one left and its sold and off the road in 3 weeks. drivers gotta drive it like its stolen now.

90% of our trucks are now 6.7's and i hate them. they sound like poo poo and feel gutless because the turbo takes forever to spool. also the egr\exhaust fluid system is stupid. Also a big problem with the new fords we have is the airbag light coming on after popping the e brake. the e brake pedal pops so hard it shakes the computer or sensor for the airbag and the light comes on. no airbag deployment yet though.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finally got around to doing some work pulling apart the GTS.

Got the motor\subframe dropped.

In the process of dropping the motor the car moved forward about a quarter of a foot, not a big deal except now my garage door wont close. And topping that off the nissan is parked behind it with the steering box pulled (swapping it for a manual box), so after poo poo kicking the wheels of the nissan straight and hooking a tow rope from the nissan to the gts and pulled it back a few feet. Now i just need a co-worker to stop by with a wrecker with a boom on it so we can lift the front of the car and slid the motor\subframe out. now i either need to get the steering in the nissan done or tie the wheels straight and tow the nissan out of the way so i can lift the gts.

In other news, tomorrow i will hopefully be picking up a 94 (i think) GMC Jimmy. Its safety orange with more bondo than paint but its not covering rust just lots of dents. has a v6 vortec and a body lift. interior is loving trashed but it has a good sub and amp im going to pull out. it looks to have a good headunit but the faceplate is missing. I only looked at it for a few minutes but it has tons of new parts and seems to run good but the 4X4 doesn't seem to engage, i push the 4 hi button and it flashes i hear a click then it goes out and says its still in 2wd. hopefully nothing big. i will post pictures and poo poo tomorrow if i get it.
I say if i get it becuse it was impounded because the po was printing fake regi slips. so hopefully its not stolen and i can transfer it into my name without any issues. but for $300 i don't really care,if it turnes out to be stolen than ill just call the cops and i will find something else out of the yard to buy. im just going to sell it for whatever i can get, i figure $600-1000.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 30, 2015

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
How do I buy cheap horrible cars from towing companies? Do I need to work there? I guess that people working there get first pick, but do you get randoms off the street coming in and buying cars from you guys? I want a cheap Focus or Escort or something, but don't want to pay much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

blindjoe posted:

How do I buy cheap horrible cars from towing companies? Do I need to work there? I guess that people working there get first pick, but do you get randoms off the street coming in and buying cars from you guys? I want a cheap Focus or Escort or something, but don't want to pay much for it.

Most places will allow the public to buy cars, atleast all the tow yards here, but like you said the employees get first dibbs and luckly everyone i work with has no interest in poo poo heaps and most of the public has no idea we sell the cars. we have one rich guy who flips cars and he buys anything in the yard over about 5k and that leaves the poo poo heaps to me.
one of the best parts anout getting a car out of the yard is looking at all the po's old poo poo, but cleaning up the poo poo aint fun.

I would call tow yards in your area and see.

I am off to go grab the jimmy. im going to drive it home if all goes well, hope i make it.

• Locked thread