Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
Got the jimmy and insured it with no problems.

Thing is a loving roach.
Got the 4wd working, the fuse was pulled but im wondering if it was pulled for a reason.
Big problem is it wont shift past 2nd. Its an auto and in D or OD it will shift from 1st to 2nd then drop to neutral. After doing some research it seems like a common problem and should be somewhat easy to fix ( i hope).

After trying some fixes i took it for a drive and the waterpump shat and it shot coolant out everywhere. limped it to a gas station and got it towed home. got a new water pump for $39 and will install it tomorrow. I need to sell this pos fast.

Only good poo poo to come out of the jimmy is this stereo stuff and a high end touch screen jvc head unit but the face plate is gone. we are going to contact the po and see if they will sell us the face plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so after doing more research it looks like the tranny is hooped.
its the 4l60e trans and its either the shift solenoid, speed sensor ( but the speedo works) or most common burnt 3-4 cluch packs. i dont want to buy those parts and not have it fix the problem and im sure as gently caress not putting a tranny in.
i will be lucky to get anything now. gently caress, dont even think its worth doing the water pump now. anyone wanna buy a jimmy cheap?

sometimes she goes and sometimes she doesnt go. she didnt go.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Rip the stereo out, vacuum, list on CL for $500 with tranny problems. Move on to the next project.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

the spyder posted:

Rip the stereo out, vacuum, list on CL for $500 with tranny problems. Move on to the next project.

at this point thats likley what i will do. i think i will just do the water pump and slang it for cheap.

im going to see what else is coming up in the yard but i just need to sell some of the poo poo mobiles i have now. i was counting on selling the jimmy to fund parts to fix and sell the other poo poo.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Did the water pump today. easy as gently caress. the water pump i took off looks like its from an auto wrecker, who the gently caress puts on a used water pump when a new one is $40?

Got someone coming down with a trailer to hopefully buy it and get it off my lawn.

made a little walk around video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEFxiSglOew

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Responded to a couple of good crashes the last few nights.

Mercedes S500 smashed some trees and hosed the car big times. driver is lucky to be alive.

Then last night was the biggie. 5 vehicles involved.
Drunk guy in a older dodge 2500 lost control and hit 4 parked cars. 3 of them belonged to 1 family.

Didn't get any pictures but all the vehicles involved are write-offs. I jumped in the big flat bed and got the 2500 and a dodge 1500, the 1500 had the rear axle twisted sideways and the gas tank was leaking along with flat tires and the 2500's front end was laying on the ground. made 2 runs back to the yard and the other night guy did 3 runs in a wrecker. I still smell like gas.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Sold the jimmy to a friend for $350, lost money but im glad its gone.
Just picked up a 98 cavalier for a mere $260 from impound and towed it home.
It only has 140k km on it and its a 5-speed. Has a sticker under the hood for a clutch at 70k.

loving dex cool

Only interesting find in the car

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

did a good check over on the cavalier yesterday.

Cleaned out the dex cool poo poo smear and cleaned it up a bit. noticed the engine was making sorta a slapping sound while running so i checked the oil. I drain drat near 6l of oil out to bring it back down to the full level. PO must have been dumping oil into it on the daily. after draining the engine sounds 100x better. Got the car listed for sale at $1200 o.b.o ill be happy with $700.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Hello 2200 SFI, my old friend,
I've come to compression test you again.

Does the muffler bounce?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Hello 2200 SFI, my old friend,
I've come to compression test you again.

Does the muffler bounce?

I have heard of head-gasket issues with these dinosaurs at as low as 50k km, i have a compression tester i am almost scared to check it although it seems to run as good as a cavalier can.

and no, the muffler strap was recently replaced.
The best things about the car are: full tank of gas and a new battery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
When these were really common in the junkyards I knew guys who would pull a motor out of the junkyard cars (doesn't take too long), slap a Fel-Pro gasket or some gasket maker on as a head gasket, re-use the head bolts and then shoot 50- to 100-shots of nitrous down a tapped hole in the intake manifold until the motor melted. Fuelling was provided by a vise grip on the FPR.

You could get them down to low 15s at our altitude which is seriously impressive for that dogshit of a motor.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Feels like an appropriate time to post this again: http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

(Yes I know a Neon =/= Cavalier but a shitbox is a shitbox, right?)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

eberbs posted:

Got the jimmy and insured it with no problems.

AND WHAT'S THE STORY WITH THAT CLEAN CORNBINDER?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

jammyozzy posted:

Feels like an appropriate time to post this again: http://www.ag.auburn.edu/users/parmega/articles/neon/

(Yes I know a Neon =/= Cavalier but a shitbox is a shitbox, right?)

I knew what that link was before clicking on it, still read the entire article for the millionth time. Sadly I don't think you can get away with doing poo poo like that to rental cars anymore.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

StormDrain posted:

AND WHAT'S THE STORY WITH THAT CLEAN CORNBINDER?

The International is for sale by the owner for 6k. Its loving mint.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Last night my roommates diff locked up on him exiting the highway so i had to go grab him in the wrecker and bring it home. He's hoping to rebuild and weld the diff or find a cheap lsd.

Did the front brakes on the civic today, still have lots to do before its ready for re-inspection and sale.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the front upper ball-joint for the civic pressed out and in for $20.

next up is the rear brake line and trailing arm bushings.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Serious question, why did you bother with the screws? Those are generally only used at the factory during assembly to hold the rotor against the hub - many (most?) aftermarket hubs don't even have the holes.

Once the wheel is on, that rotor ain't goin nowhere.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Serious question, why did you bother with the screws? Those are generally only used at the factory during assembly to hold the rotor against the hub - many (most?) aftermarket hubs don't even have the holes.

didn't really think about it, i know most cars don't have them and they can be a major bitch to get out, but if its going for inspection i don't want them to fail it for something stupid like missing those screws. plus i wont be the one taking them out next brake job :wiggle:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Ran out of heating oil today so i filled a jerry can but didn't feel like standing there for 5 minutes while it drained into the tank so i stacked some tires.

then took a poo poo ton of recycling and garbage in with the noodle body and trailer combo.

driving it with strong arm steering and that tiny trailer is a loving bitch

edit: Also found out next week my work has an auction for 3 old rv's a 2003ish mustang v6 and that green international pick-up.
The pick-up is going to be way out of my price range but the rv's will probably go cheap. one is a Winnebago and the other 2 are mid size ford e-250's all from the 80's.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 1, 2015

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Attended some good crashes this week but didn't get any pictures but i do have a funny impound story from a few nights ago.

My work has a few contracts with parks around the city for towing after dark when they close. 99% of the time when we get there the cars are already gone.
I get a call for 2 cars parked inside the gates after dark so i head in and see a honda fit and dodge caravan parked side by side in the middle of the parking lot. If i had been in a flatbed i could have grabbed both in one go but i decided i would grab the fit for no particular reason. as im hooking it up and unlocking it to release the parking brake i have all my work lights and beacons on just in case the owner sees me before i take off (once i have hooked onto the car there is a $50 drop charge). Finish hooking up and leave as my co-worker is on the way to grab the van. I get about half way back to our yard and the fit guy calls our office losing his loving poo poo, now keep in mind its loving pouring down rain dark and freezing cold way down in a park. The guy is demanding we bring his car back and dispatch tells him he can pickup his car tomorrow morning as we don't offer 24 hour release, more yelling and swearing and he gets nowhere. Now as my co-worker pulls in to grab the van he sees it pulling out and as it passes him the passenger (i suspect the fit driver grabbing a ride) fingers my co-worker and speeds away. Just another night.

Still trying to sell the cavalier for $900, but no one wants this amazing automobile around x-mas.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So the Green international pickup got sold for $300 loving dollars!! to a coworker. alot of my coworkers including me were pissed but he got it so cheap because no one else bid expecting it to go for 2k+. he got the loving deal of the century. No bids were placed on any of the motor homes so it looks like i can take them for free if i want i just dont have the parking so i might look at them pick the best one and park it at a buddy's house. One is an old dodge ones a ford and one is a Winnebago. Ill take some pictures soon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

eberbs posted:

Ran out of heating oil today so i filled a jerry can but didn't feel like standing there for 5 minutes while it drained into the tank so i stacked some tires.

People still use oil heaters? They seem to have died out in Australia between the late 70s and early 80s. I still remember seeing some old 1950s houses that had the oil tank on the outside.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You Am I posted:

People still use oil heaters? They seem to have died out in Australia between the late 70s and early 80s. I still remember seeing some old 1950s houses that had the oil tank on the outside.

Oh yeah, pretty common in some parts of Canada.

My old man just replaced his with gas last year.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

El Scotch posted:

Oh yeah, pretty common in some parts of Canada.

My old man just replaced his with gas last year.

The oil furnace works great and its the original 1974 that came with the house. I have it hooked to a Honeywell wireless thermostat so i can control it from my phone. gave it a tune-up a few years ago. Im sure gas is leaps and bounds better but my poor rear end cant afford that poo poo.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

eberbs posted:

So the Green international pickup got sold for $300 loving dollars!! to a coworker. alot of my coworkers including me were pissed but he got it so cheap because no one else bid expecting it to go for 2k+. he got the loving deal of the century. No bids were placed on any of the motor homes so it looks like i can take them for free if i want i just dont have the parking so i might look at them pick the best one and park it at a buddy's house. One is an old dodge ones a ford and one is a Winnebago. Ill take some pictures soon.

What the hell! The windshield alone is worth that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

They're still the normal method of heating in the US Northeast: http://nhenergy.blogspot.com/2013/03/closer-to-home-energy-conversion.html We're slowly transitioning over to NatGas, but oil is very common. I had a 250 Gallon tank in my house, which I emptied, cut in half, and scrapped when I put in my gas boiler.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Took a peek at the motor homes today. There is no dodge like i first thought there 2 fords and the Winnebago.

The 2 fords are loving roached but the Winnebago looks to be in a somewhat decent state.

Inside the winne

and the dash on one of the fords

The other ford

and both the fords interiors were trashed.

I am seriously considering taking the winne and storing it at a friends house till i can figure out what i want to do with it.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Responded to a crash this morning involving an F150 and Police cruiser.

Not sure who's at fault or if the cop had his lights on but it looks like he tried to avoid the truck and the truck thought they could make the gap.
Cruiser looks like a write off but the ford just got bend control arms and tie rods.

Also the Noodle body will be off the road for some time as the rear end is trying to escape and some welding of the rusty frame will be needed, for now me and my roommate just have the caviler to drive and if that sells were walking when i don't have the tow truck.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I love that you have like 10 cars and right now only one is driveable. True AI

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

After breaking a million impact driver bits i got to the point where i just torch them out now without even thinking about it.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

My roommate pulled an LSD diff from a parts supra. Cressida should be back on the road in a few days.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
88 corolla le was me very first car i ended up buying back 2 more times from the friends i sold/traded it to. I loved that thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Preoptopus posted:

After breaking a million impact driver bits i got to the point where i just torch them out now without even thinking about it.

I've always just drilled them out. :shrug:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Been a long cold week. 4.8 magnitude earthquake while i was sitting on the couch last night was slightly unnerving.

But in car news the Cressida is ready for the new lsd diff to be installed. Stopped by the parts store and 2 quarts of gear oil and lsd additive was only $23, was expecting way more than that.

Old diff:

Dry to the bone, not one drip of "oil" came out.

lots and lots of sludge and metal.

New Used LSD unit:

Hope to be laying rubber with both wheels in a few days and stop driving the underwhelming caviler, then maybe even get one of my own cars on the road to drive. gently caress.

On a unrelated side note, i breed rats and had a prison break 5-6 months ago and a few rats got out and one never came back (they usually come back to the cage because they know the food and water is there), but i saw a rat in my garage last night and it might be the lost rat so i have been trying to capture it without success even with this rat having 1 eye shes a smart fucker, at least i hope its her and not some huge sewer rat.

bonus rat pic of one of my males Big Papa:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finally got around to fully removing the engine from the corolla gts with a boom truck today.

Also went around the yard and started all the cars and revved them up to make sure they all still run.

LSD is in the Cressida and she cooks tires nice and good.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

So I decided taking one of the motor homes isn't the best idea when i already have 9 cars 8 that are un-insured so I took one down to the scrap yard today. Spent a good 15-20 inside loving the interior with a tire iron to relieve stress.

and added a few more stickers to the noodle body

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Decent!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I need that 5 speed anti-theft sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

I need that 5 speed anti-theft sticker.

http://www.ihatedecals.ca/

• Locked thread