Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
rear end in a top hat neighbors are the worst!
One of my roommates friends stopped by around midnight last night. They drive a 99 Civic, not overly loud, they stay the night and find this on their mirror.

This kind of poo poo makes my loving blood boil. I know who it is but without proof what can i do? My roommate took the picture to our local police and they started a file but thats all they can do.

Me and my roommate have been going out of our ways to be extremely loud tonight. I would love to catch these rear end hats pulling some poo poo so I can bat the motherfucker out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
This sounds like an excuse to use bear traps. :tbear:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got called to assist for a recovery of a 4runner stuck up to the roof in water.
Owner of the 4runner was drinking and got stuck good and sunk the truck up to the roof. I was the lucky one who got to climb into the back of the truck to attach lines to the trailer hitch. The water was loving freezing so i could only keep my hands underwater for a few seconds at a time. it sucked.

The first truck got slightly stuck so we had to pull it out with the second truck before recovering the 4runner.

Im the one in orange hanging out the hatch of the 4runner

the best part was opening the door to let the water out.

Oil was about double full but the coolant was low. If it didn't hydrolock and bend poo poo i bet it'll still run.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What an rear end in a top hat.

I can't believe he put family stickers on something that clean.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Co-worker towed in this brand new gt3 something or other, only has 50km on the odo and its in our yard for a week for speeding.

looks weird because of frost.

I would not want to get a flat tire on that loving thing.

Later in the night I got to assist in a double decker transit bus tow with our 27-ton tandem wrecker.

Gotta pull all bolts that hold in the rear axle then hit the center of the axle with a sledge hammer to brake them loose so they can be slid out.

one massive axle removed

then a cover gets bolted on to stop oil from leaking out.

at the transit depot, just a pallet of rims.

and tires

the mother load.

The bus apparently snapped the crankshaft.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Drove by some sort of new dealership today and had to stop and take some pictures.

then another bus tow

and to finish off the night I got called to assist on a bus tow after the bus hit 3 people. investigation is still ongoing but here's the news article.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/pedestrians-taken-to-hospital-after-being-struck-by-b-c-transit-bus-1.2154596

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

I've noted those little green plastic arrows here as well. What's the deal with those?

The ones I've seen go > < > < > < though.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

They're little plastic tabs that go on under the wheel nuts. Their job is to make it more obvious if a wheel nut falls off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

they also lock onto the flats of the nuts too, so if they start to back off its an easy visual that your nuts are loose because the little tabs point all sorts of way.

Easier than checking all those nuts are done up to the requisite 500ft/lb with a torque wrench!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Ferremit posted:

they also lock onto the flats of the nuts too, so if they start to back off its an easy visual that your nuts are loose because the little tabs point all sorts of way.

Easier than checking all those nuts are done up to the requisite 500ft/lb with a torque wrench brap brap brap brap braaaaaaaaaaaaaap!

I fixed something for you.

I'd always thought they were meant to interlock and prevent any one nut from backing out without tightening the 'paired' nut?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

got some pictures of the bus accident last night, a friend was watching and took some pictures.

thats just a jacket laying on the ground.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

A Bi-law officer knocked on my door today and told me I have to move all the cars off my yard because people are complaining, so much so that they are complaining that nothing is being done.
And this comes a week after I moved the civic off of my front lawn, fuckers.
He said I have 3 weeks to move them or he will contact my landlord (who gives no fucks) and after that its $100 a day in fines.
Im just going to tow 2 of the corollas to a buddys house clean up some of my tire stacks and call it good because the amc eagle isn't going no ware and bi law don't intimidate me.
Also as a backup if they do try and gently caress my I will go around the neighborhood and collect a list of all the property's with uninsured cars (there are alot) and call in every single one to bylaw just to piss them off.

A quote form the officer: "people pay almost $300,000 to live here and they don't want to look at a used car dealership. our town is changing"

rear end-hat, I was here before all this poo poo and all these apartment buildings and my house is getting torn down in a few years for more apartments anyways so just let me be dammit!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sounds like your neighbors just want you to start street parking.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

so after talking to some friends I realized my house is literally Kenny's house in sodo sopa from southpark.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Had this arrive in the mail today

It's made of metal and is thick as poo poo and comes with magnets for mounting. next one I get will be back to the future then probably smokey and the bandit, gotta catch em all.

https://displate.com/

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Spent a few hours today pulling the dash and wiring harness out of the gts.

Lots of lovely 15 year old alarm wiring removed.

Steering column out

Cleaned out

ECM\ECU felt like it was empty

And 90% of the wiring harness

Next step will be to use the tow truck to raise the rear to remove the rear subframe and gas tank.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Moved my Corolla to my buddys house yesterday to get by-law off my case and spotted this:

It was holding a corvair ramp side to this trailer.

And This was kinda awesome:

Bonus picture I found from years ago from my brothers farm.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Been hustling to get the GTS stripped and out of the driveway. Got the rear sub-frame and some other stuff out.

I am thinking within a week I will have it gone.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I love this thread. What ended up being wrong with the noodle body's charging system a few months back?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

stevobob posted:

I love this thread. What ended up being wrong with the noodle body's charging system a few months back?

It ended up being the alternator along with a lovely ground so I swapped the good one in.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Why would someone crash their car and keep driving until the cops get them? because they are drunk.

Just look onto the drift camber. It was on 3 flats as well. and remember he drove like this for at least 3-4km.

That civic is doing 30 to life in car jail now (likely write off ).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

96-98 Civic sedan, going by the lights - so just the wheel damage would be enough to total it. The sedans aren't worth much at all.

Kinda surprised it hasn't returned to the earth yet to be honest, those things rust even down here. I see more 5th gens on the road than 6th gens.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Been cleaning the yard up and moving cars around. gently caress bi-law.

Got a dumpster delivered and filled it with poo poo from my garage in all of an hour, but now i should be able to stuff 2 cars in the garage.

And I saw another Eagle while at the local pig iron (princess auto) and waited for the owner to come out and boy was it worth it. He owns multiple amc cars and runs a used amc parts business and gave me his card and told me he has tons of parts for eagles.

Also saw this on a friend of a friends car

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got the Bin picked up today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syUGQM3nVzA

Then worked my rear end off to finish stripping the GTS and getting it out of the driveway

The butyl that holds in the rear taillights didn't wanna let go

yanked her up the deck.

Guy at the scrap yard had a good time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4RJCYtNktk

Got the Civic and the trailer parked in the garage. i can almost see the finish line.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got a deal i could not refuse today.

Bought another sunfailure. 2001, 5-speed, 114k km. $100. Got it from work and it ran when it was impounded 3 months ago but now just cranks and wont start. Has spark but i can't hear the fuel pump. I suspect its either the fuel pump or something preventing the fuel pump from engaging, but for 100 Canadian peso's I couldn't say no. Just gotta keep it hidden from the bi-law dicks.

Muffler doesn't even bounce.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
JAY-BODY ahoy. It reminds me of the Sunfire one of my first girlfriends drove. Sweet, and well worth the cost.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Huh, I figured they got the Ecotec by 2001. Guess not. This is a good thing for you though, the earlier Ecotecs were prone to timing chain tensioner failures.

How is that thing not a pile of rust by now?! They rust even down here.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Huh, I figured they got the Ecotec by 2001. Guess not. This is a good thing for you though, the earlier Ecotecs were prone to timing chain tensioner failures.

How is that thing not a pile of rust by now?! They rust even down here.

That 2200 was a host to all its own failures. Also I don't believe that the exhaust doesn't bounce like a two year old hopped up on MT dew .

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ecotec didn't show up until 2003.

I have warm memories of the 2200 SFI but I'm not going to call its little pushrod rear end a miracle of modern engineering. It was just too stubborn to die.

I replaced the exhaust hanger on my 2001 Cav like.. four times? Cops in the ghetto here use it as pretext for a pull over and search.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

hosed up night.

Got a police call to go tow a car, when pd calls us they don't tell us much they just say where they are and how many trucks they need. I get to the location on the call and don't see any cop lights. then sitting almost in the middle of the road in complete darkness with no one around is a caviler that is absolutely hosed. every wheel is dicked out and the whole side is stoved in. I call dispatch and ask what the hell is up. Cops came and had another high priority call and had to leave. Then someone comes out of a house and it's there car and it was parked and was hit and the person drove off. How the gently caress they drove away is beyond me considering how hosed the caviler was. Then to top that all off my string lights (the magnetic lights that go on the car being towed) shorted out and caused my truck to loose all running lights, loving great. had to roll back to the yard with the beacons and hazards on.
Just as i finnish with the caviler i got a call for a roll over.

2015 mustang. lost control and hit a support cable for a telephone pole and the car road up about 5-6 feet up the wire until it snapped and the car rolled onto its roof. wish i had gotten more pictures but the recovery was flawless and it was an easy tow.

wipers were still going when i flipped it onto its wheels.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
It always amazes me how easy it is to flip a car over. A couple weeks ago I heard a loud smash outside, and I ran out to find a car with a smashed up front, and another car entirely upside down, but pointed the right way down the road.

How often do you have to recover flipped cars? What's the recovery process like? I watched the guys here for about an hour, it seemed to take them a bit to figure out what to do.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Raluek posted:

It always amazes me how easy it is to flip a car over. A couple weeks ago I heard a loud smash outside, and I ran out to find a car with a smashed up front, and another car entirely upside down, but pointed the right way down the road.

How often do you have to recover flipped cars? What's the recovery process like? I watched the guys here for about an hour, it seemed to take them a bit to figure out what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHiASSVoW68

That's the easiest way on flat ground and roll overs are few and far between. took me about 20 minutes total in and out, but it was easy as rollovers come. Also a few more pictures of the mustang.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

What I'm curious about...

I know a rollover is an easy writeoff for most cars - newer ones because 50 airbags go pop all at once, older because, well, older, and the roof is part of the crash structure on everything that's not body on frame anyway.

What's the mechanical damage usually like, aside from the suspension damage? I can't imagine it's good for anything, but how hard would it be to get that Mustang running again? Is it just a matter of "flip it over and try to start it (and since Ford, find the fuel pump shutoff that popped when it flipped)"? Or is it usually more like "flip it over, spend several hours going over it, cross your fingers"?

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

What I'm curious about...

I know a rollover is an easy writeoff for most cars - newer ones because 50 airbags go pop all at once, older because, well, older, and the roof is part of the crash structure on everything that's not body on frame anyway.

What's the mechanical damage usually like, aside from the suspension damage? I can't imagine it's good for anything, but how hard would it be to get that Mustang running again? Is it just a matter of "flip it over and try to start it (and since Ford, find the fuel pump shutoff that popped when it flipped)"? Or is it usually more like "flip it over, spend several hours going over it, cross your fingers"?

its hard to say most of the time. something like an older jap car will probably start right up and drive but the mustangs engine took a beating, the hood smashed the head so hard it cracked and i think if the insurance company knows its been rolled onto its roof they just write it off. Ill see if i can take a few pictures of the engine tomorrow.

99% of the time when a car rolls all the loose change will get stuck in the gaps around the windshield and are very difficult to remove, not to mention what other loose poo poo flying around can do or where it will get stuck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A few other things that can happen, in no particular order...
- all the brake fluid may have drained out of the reservoir and lines
- power steering fluid. power steering fluid everywhere. at least if the cap doesn't seal very well.
- coolant overflow may or may not empty out, depending on how well the cap seals and where the spill neck is located.
- oil usually ends up in the cylinders and/or intake and/or swamping everything under the valve covers because it's upside down, so it leaks past the rings and the rest makes its way to the new lowest point in the engine. If it's left running for any appreciable amount of time, this results in the engine spinning bearings. Can result in kinked or broken rods if someone tries to restart it right after righting the vehicle if the cylinders are full of oil.
- diffs, transmission, transfer case etc usually barf some or most of their fluid through their breather tubes and/or dipstick tube

Aside from that, it really depends on what car it is.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Got some more pictures of the stang. the hoods stuck shut now so I couldn't get an engine pic.

The Caviler from last night already went to the insurance salvage depot.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That... actually looks like it held up really well. I'm impressed.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Found a used fuel pump for the sunfire at a local auto wreckers for $40 if i pulled it myself. New retails for near $200.

In the mud sitting on the frame rails i had to pull the fucker.

got her home on the tow truck and used the wheel lift to put the rear end in the air making the job X100 easier than at the wreckers yard.

tank out. gas smelled like poo poo and there was a bit of crap in the tank.

But now she runs mint. just gotta find someone to buy it.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finished cleaning the sunfire and drove it around all day yesterday.
It needs nothing. the oil change is even good for another 3k km and it cleaned up really nice.

Have it listed for sale at $1650, thats a steal but i need it gone quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Spent some time fixing some of the remaining issues on the civic

Cleaned out the inside and found the missing battery hold down, replaced the battery and replaced all the burnt out brake lights.
Then onto the hard poo poo. Brake lines.

I have replaced brake lines before but never flared them myself.

$20 pig iron flaring kit and $5 pipe cutter

Worked good but was a cock sucker to use in the confined space under the car.

The car must have come from back east because i have never seen brake lines this rusty. The rest of the underside of the car was bad for B.C standers as well.

Coming along well

Had to go to the parts store like 5 times today and gotta go tomorrow and get more poo poo that broke coming apart.

Then put a drip pan under the car when i was taking it apart and thought it was catching the fluid but hours later and my floor is covered in brake fluid.

And still trying to sell the sunfire. I think im gonna stop buying cavaliers and sunfires.

• Locked thread