Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
I now know the true pain that is rust and corrosion. When a 17mm fits the bolt and after scraping all the rust off its actually a 14mm.

Anyways after snapping more brake lines I now need to replace a rear brake cylinder and the soft line, but that is just the beginning.

One of the bolts holding the rear cylinder looked like it had already seen a Swedish nut lathe or two and was stuck something fierce but after lots of swearing, hammering and goon gripping i managed to get it out.

After ruining as much of the brake system as possible I decided to start removing the rear trailing arm assembly's to replace the trailing arm bushings. Snapped 2 bolts and twisted another, the ones that did come out fought the whole way. Other side should be easier as the whole assembly was replaced at some point.

Twisted bolt

The list of parts is growing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If you do brake lines regularly, either at work or on your cars, do yourself a favor and buy an OEM 24364 inline flaring tool. Only fits 4.75mm/3/16 line but that covers about 99% of the market. It also only does double invert 45 degree flares, but again that covers a huge section of the market... bubble flare vehicles and devices notwithstanding.

I don't even know where my regular flaring tool (the one you posted) is anymore.

And yes, that brake line looks very familiar. Rustbelt brake lines are hell.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

If you do brake lines regularly, either at work or on your cars, do yourself a favor and buy an OEM 24364 inline flaring tool. Only fits 4.75mm/3/16 line but that covers about 99% of the market. It also only does double invert 45 degree flares, but again that covers a huge section of the market... bubble flare vehicles and devices notwithstanding.

I don't even know where my regular flaring tool (the one you posted) is anymore.

And yes, that brake line looks very familiar. Rustbelt brake lines are hell.

I will second the endorsement of the inline flaring tool and will do so for the rest of my life. I ran through three different part store bar-style tools (2 of which were brand loving new) and they gave me nothing but bullshit terrible off-center flares. Bought the inline and cranked out a perfect flare first time. Worth it at twice the price.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

This is the only time I have ever needed to flair my own lines, usually just get pre made pieces and even that is rare due to rust almost never being an issue so the tools I got will likely sit till the end of time.

Finally managed to get the control arm contraption out and take a look at the bushing although it don't really matter due to snapping bolts I now need to replace this entire side.

fell apart in my hands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2000-H...7CModel%3ACivic

I will never buy a car that needs an inspection again. gently caress this poo poo.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

I hosed up.

#20 in that diagram was stuck bad and after penetrating oil and heat and working it back and forth the nut that's welded on the inside of the uni-body broke loose so now the bolt just spins.
There is no access to the nut unless i start cutting up the floor\uni-body then the thing still has to pass inspection. Any ideas?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey dude someone melted your interior

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Muffler strap broke.

Was driving the sunfailure today, heard a clunk and she was snapped.

$20 for a new one, 5 minutes to install.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

less money mo problems.

Sunfire developed a fairly loud tick coming from the upper end of the engine. Sounds like a lifter or pushrod. went to start the car and it just cranked and almost sounded like it had no compression, let it sit for a few and tried again and it slowly sputtered to life and ran normal aside from this newly developed tick. sounds mechanical and from the upper end of the engine (head). I will pull the valve cover tomorrow and see if i can see anything or adjust the valves. gently caress this poo poo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Sticky lifters? Might be worth a dose of Rislone or MMO or something.

My 2.2 had a brutal lifter tick when it was cold.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

oh i found the problem

loving push rod had the top shear off.

Trip to the auto wreckers and a $5 push rod later its running mint again.
Is this a known issue with these poo poo nuggets or just my bad luck?

Bonus pictures

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's impressive. I remember back at the old drag nights the guys who used to run dry-shot Cavaliers with no engine management would hole the block and bend the rods on the way out but they were really asking for it.

If the pushrods are that bad how are the rockers? Could be oil starvation.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That's impressive. I remember back at the old drag nights the guys who used to run dry-shot Cavaliers with no engine management would hole the block and bend the rods on the way out but they were really asking for it.

If the pushrods are that bad how are the rockers? Could be oil starvation.

Oil Is super clean, no oil light no knocking and the head had lots of oil sitting in it when I pulled the valve cover. all the other rockers\pushrods looked mint.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Responded to a call at 3a.m this morning.

Guy goes move his wife's new 2015 caravan and instead of drive put it in reverse and managed to hit his other car, then go over his front lawn through a brick retaining wall before hitting his house. van is a write off and the car is pretty hosed.

my co-worker took some better pictures with a phone that has a non-potato cam, ill post those when he sends them to me.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

:captainpop: How... Just how do you even do that? Drunk? Old with poor reflexes? Just plain stupid?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

:captainpop: How... Just how do you even do that? Drunk? Old with poor reflexes? Just plain stupid?

Seriously, how does a mistake like that end up with that much damage? Like, I get accidentally putting it in the wrong gear because you're not used to a new vehicle, and even taking it far enough to bonk into the vehicle behind you. But how does your foot end up on the gas enough that you end up blasting into your house and across the yard?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I once watched my friends dad throw his van into reverse nod off(due to shooting up just recently) and he drove threw two fences and crashed into a house. But still wasn't as bad as that. Dude should get an award for destruction.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

young guy early 30's. sober. Im guessing he was in a rush to get to work or still half asleep.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
New kid? Would explain the minivan and the sleep deprivation.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

This happened last night JUST up the street from my house, somehow i didn't hear it or the rescue crews.
http://victoriabuzz.com/2016/04/west-shore-rcmp-involved-early-morning-crash/

The officer died. Mother of 2 in her early 30's. Driver of the truck was drunk, driving 120km in a 50km zone with no headlights and struck her car on the drivers side. sad.

eberbs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2016

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

More on the crash:

looks like the cops were in pursuit of the truck and the officer who was struck had just pulled into the intersection to block when the truck hit the gas and rammed her.
Both vehicle's are in our lockup compound.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat that really shows how horrible Panthers are in a side impact. I refused to let my wife get another one because of it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

To be fair, that's likely at least a 3/4 ton truck (so curb weight of at least 5000 lbs), and 120 kmh = roughly 75 mph. Nothing is going to hold up well against that.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

http://www.cheknews.ca/eyewitness-account-of-horrific-cash-that-saw-west-shore-rcmp-officer-killed-160600/

so sad.

And one of my co-workers knows the guy who was driving the truck and this is not the first time he has caused a crash and injures while drunk driving.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Finally sold the sunfailure.
Sold it for $1100 to a dispatcher who works at another tow company up the street.
Things have been crazy around work and near my house in the aftermath of the rcmp officer getting killed as the location it happened and the rcmp headquarters are a stones throw away. Still have the cop car in secure lockup and i have to walk by it all the time :smith:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Tow truck rolled over to 200k today

It will likely be sold by the end of this year and I will get a new 6.7 diesel truck.
The sister truck to mine finally came back from the shop with a new motor and its only got about 150k on the truck.

And I had a call to unlock one of these

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_262C

it was a black 2-door and in great shape. looks like a chop top.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Saw the funeral for the RCMP office killed down the street last week. It was amazing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sarah-beckett-rcmp-regimental-funeral-1.3531674

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Helped my co-worker put a stretch kit on his Honda ruckus.

Stock:

Only issue is the rear brake cable is a little short but still works if its routed above the plastic but that will be resolved when we install some shorter handlebars that will give more slack to all the cables.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Co-worker posted this to facebook today, they used my truck to load the 5th wheel onto our land-all trailer because the tires on the 5th wheel are rotted to poo poo. Was on my days off but that just means it will have a full tank of gas and be washed (hopefully).

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Its been a minute since i last posted so here's a few small things.

Had to go boost this 2CV. It's in great shape, summer driven, sat for 7 months and started right up and smelled like a dirty ol' 2 stroke should.

And scored these awesome side mirrors for the noodle body for $7 on clearance at princess auto.

Mirror on one side, Light on the other, and the mirrors are motherfucking heated! don't think i will be wiring up the heat option tho.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

On this installment of buying lovely cars for dirt cheap, a 1992 Saturn. 134k km, Auto, Good shape.

Just waiting for the papers to get signed so hopefully it will be mine in a few days, clean it a little sell it and put some money into the honda.

Also got given this sweet old 220v welder from a co-worker. should have some fun with this.

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
I've always heard really good things about the sc2 actually. The auto might spoil it but I remember hearing they had a pretty sporty ride.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah the sc2 was kind of sporty but the one I've driven and been was stick.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

Was the DD for my roommate last night and while picking him up from the bar i was instructed to lay a heater. Lots of wheel hop from the winter tires, then a bang some clattering and endless neutral.

This U joint is only 6 months old.

Car is an 88 Cressida with a swapped in 5-speed and lsd. It's a pile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hell yeah manual Cressidas give me the Cressida Madness.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is.. is that u-joint welded in? :stare:

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Is.. is that u-joint welded in? :stare:

Yah, it was taken to a "reputable" drive shaft shop and that's what they did. It also looks like the u joint is too small, but im no expert, wont be going back there again tho. Looks like a custom 1 piece drive shaft and a different shop to make it is going to be the solution to this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The original was probably staked in place, a lot of the older imports and (to this day) Subarus do that. Some kits use an ISR retention setup on the replacement joints, others weld it in. Long as you get the side play right, center it properly, and don't burn up all the grease you're really not doing any damage.

Rockford Driveline probably has a replacement ujoint for that... with ISR instead of weld-in.

e: http://rockforddriveline.com/Staked-In_U-Joints.pdf looks like you need a Rockford 430-10, same ones used on my 2000 Forester :v: If you don't like Rockford, you can also get a TUS-10 joint (same as a 430-10) from theujointstore.com which doesn't involve calling on the phone and talking to an old man to place an order, so as a telephone-phobic goon I did this.

kastein fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 24, 2016

• Locked thread