Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

You Am I posted:

I thought line lockers on trucks released air, thus locking all the drums on all the wheels?

I guess keeping some chocks around would be a good idea

I can't comment on tow trucks, as I drive semis, but yes.

The brake cans on air brake trucks contain springs, which are compressed by air pressure when the system is charged. When you want to park, you are cutting the air off, allowing the previously mentioned gigantic coil springs in the brake cans to squeeze the brake shoes against the drums. Air brakes are essentially fool proof and incredibly strong, assuming you actually pull the buttons, which I have seen multiple drivers fail to do, including one gigantic sleeper at a truck stop. It rolled all the way through a fuel aisle, down a small embankment and up onto a curb, where it came to rest. The only occupant being the driver's dog and the only damage being to his pride.

I don't trust anything over 5000 lbs without air brakes. Air gives you an unlimited supply of braking power, short of a gigantic leak which triggers multiple warning sounds and lights long before the brakes lock, plus you can usually easily hear a leak. As a bonus, you can generally fix most leaks with emergency tape. Basically the margin for error with air brakes is massive.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread