Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I haven't seen this movie yet and I'm sure it's as terrible as everyone says but one thing that struck me about it was how relentless the campaign against this movie was from Marvel fanboys. I mean even when the only thing known about it was that it was going to be directed by Josh Trank (who previously did a universally acclaimed superhero movie), star four critically lauded actors, and have its score done by Philip loving Glass, it seemed like everyone went out of their way to say "This looks like a loving cheap terrible grab by Fox!"

I mean, the fact they were right is lucky for them, but I honestly was really hoping this would be amazing just so all those people with Iron Man avatars would eat their hats. But in any case, no matter how good this movie would have been, there was going to be a HUGE online presence who would insist it was terrible. I mean, even Marvel canceled the Fantastic Four comic ahead of time to do everything they could to sabotage the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

^^^
I went in with an open mind and ignorant of most of the production drama. It makes sense reading about it now, though. What a hot mess.

The movie wasn't even that dark. It seemed like it might have been at one point, with Ben crying, but it never really gets there. It's stuck between gears the whole film and thankfully ends before grinding on too long.

Oh that's a good thing I can say about it! It's short.

Grem fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 9, 2015

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The problem is that Fox seems to think their X-Men cinematic continuity matters much more than it actually does, so it's impossible for them to put the Fantastic Four into the same universe even though the genius celebrity 'human but changed' heroes vs 'filthy mutant' heroes dynamic could carry a film by itself.

gently caress it, just introduce Reed as an ethical scientist in some X-Men film, have Ben saying he ain't so sure about those funny looking mutants, then have the after credits teaser be them getting approval for their science adventure.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Man, this is just like in Game of Thrones, when Ned Stark chose to return to the North and raise his family rather than become Robert's Hand in King's Landing------an abdication of responsibility that years down the line led to Tywin Lannister setting up all his ducks to finally have the Iron Throne and ironically left House Stark virtually destroyed. When Marvel sold off its properties in a desperate bid to remain solvent they abdicated responsibility and... wait no, Disney is definitely House Lannister in this comparison so I'm not sure where I was going with this yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
You know having read about the plot elements before, I thought the ending would be

the Fantastic Four somehow leveraging the disaster that happened to blackmail the presumably guilty complicit government into giving them a cool base/funding...

but, that doesn't really happen, right? I mean, say what you will about the military-industrial-complex's intentions after the experiment but this whole disaster only happened because some teens got wasted and went down there instead of non-drunk more-qualified people. It's not like their expertise helps them down there in any way, they're just like OH HEY ENERGY, LET'S GO LOOK AT IT. GO BACK AFTER PLANTING THE FLAG AND TAKING PICTURES, HAVING ACCOMPLISHED OUR GOAL? NAH THERE'S SOME GLOWY poo poo YO.
The thing is, they're not even trying to blackmail the government, right? Wasn't the implication just like "Oh yeah well we can beat you up :c00lbutt:"? In which case, are the Fantastic Four as depicted actually capable of taking on the combined military strength of the United States? Does Reed just assume the Thing and Human Torch are impervious to damage?
I guess they're assuming the government would rather just not go through the trouble of destroying/capturing them and is (I guess) thankful enough for them defeating Doom to just float infinite unending no-questions no-returns government funding their way in the hope they maybe get some scientific crumbs off that table (even though they specifically state their work is only their own). Like yeah, the Thing is effective in the War on Terror and Sue sure seems potentially powerful, but this ain't Man of Steel and they ain't Superman.

and who were those guys supposed to be in the base at the end anyway? It felt kinda funny, like HEY WE WERE WORKING HERE FOR TWELVE YEARS, GUESS WE WORK FOR YOU NOW, THIS PLACE IS YOURS TO DO...STUFF IN! Like a corporation of some sort? I'm assuming they had some sort of connection/working relationship with government operations considering they were "gifted" to the Fantastic Four by the U.S. government apparently.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 10, 2015

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

That was an incredibly strange movie, and not in a good way. None of it seemed to connect to anything else: the constant time jumps, Sue randomly not getting to go through the portal, Reed and Ben suddenly going back to being buddies, and the whole 'epic battle' at the end seemed like a wet fart. There was really very little action, and most of the time it didn't even seem like any of the characters liked each other. The actors all seemed like they had decent talent, but none of them got to show it off.

(Also, I've heard Miles Teller is a douche and apparently sued his college roommate for some reason.)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I guess I just assumed that the government had been working on their own version of the matter shuttle but had gotten nowhere near as close as the Baxter Foundation, and the facility at the end was that. They probably would have scrapped the project (now that they had Storm's machine and his project notes) altogether if they hadn't opted to just give it to Reed and co.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It feels as if there was a good film in there somewhere, but it got lost along the way. It has some good bits at least. Like that kid calling Reed a dick. Needed some more comedy I think. Not completely slapstick, but it could cheer up a bit.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

There were a few bits I liked: the scene where Reed is crawling to Ben, sees Johnny burning, and realizes his legs have stretched out was incredibly horrifying, as were all the scenes in the government torture base. Doom's rampage in the base was impressively done, as well. Everything else was boring and underdone.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 10, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Just to confirm something I heard about "It's clobbering time" in the movie

Is it what Ben's brother used to say before abusing him?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The bandwagon of negative buzz around (an admittedly pretty mediocre/shoddy) movie has kind of inflated this. It's just one scene where Ben mouths off at his older brother and his older brother smacks him upside the head or something but gets immediately interfered with by their enraged mom who smacks the older brother a lil all like "hey cut that out! what the gently caress is wrong with you?!"
The way people were talking about it all GRIMDARK CHILD ABUSE is nothing like what's actually on screen, you don't see like a pattern of constant abuse. He's just got a douchey older brother who says that one time. It's not cool but it's been inflated by like, clickbait articles.
Ben isn't shown as having the greatest home (I mean he lives next to a junkyard they operate) but the way people talked about it I expected more.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Reposting this here I guess since talking about Fantastic Four was a distraction in the Comic Book Movie Thread:

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

From what I understand, everything in the trailers was cut.
This isn't actually true. Going by this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuV4BCYv-YY

-Some of the dialogue is slightly different or appears in different places, as is the norm in trailers.
-We don't see Ben smashing the Grimm family sign with a baseball.
-The Negative Zone looks very different, and has green and sparkly parts to it in the final film. Here it's red and fiery and gives more of a primordial Earth feel, rather than something alien.
-The "you don't know anything about what's coming" stuff isn't in the film. They didn't leave a door open to the other world.
-Franklin Storm does not advise them about stopping Doom. In the film, he's dead almost as soon as Doom's back in our world.
-The Thing's air drop is not in the film.

So the majority of what's in the trailer actually is in the film, but enough stuff's different that you can tell something major changed in production.

Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgnQdiZFsQ

This one's closer to what's in the film. The Negative Zone's now green, we've got our bad child actors opening the film.

However:

-Johnny's joke about the space he needs to work with isn't in the film; instead we see some very brief montage footage of him working with the government scientists. It's safe to guess that a bunch of cut stuff was lost in the ONE YEAR LATER time skip.
-Similarly, Thing wrecking up some tanks isn't actually seen in the movie as its own scene, it's stuck on a montage monitor in the background.
-The Thing's still being air dropped in, still doesn't happen in the final version.

Everything else big is there, just, as always, recontextualized/moved around a bit. The "nothing in the trailers is in the film!" thing is weird and wrong.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I worked on a couple of fox films and I believe the director. Fox movies are directed not by the director but by fox executives. Marvel is pretty much the same but at least the marvel corporate know how to make good decisions for their IP.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Maybe in 20 years we'll get Fan4stic: The Assembly Cut v:shobon:v

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean even when the only thing known about it was that it was going to be directed by Josh Trank (who previously did a universally acclaimed superhero movie), star four critically lauded actors, and have its score done by Philip loving Glass,

Hold on, do you mean THE Philip Glass?!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hold on boys I know the trailer looked like poo poo and public interest was negligible as well as an extremely troubled production and it's another reboot movie of a team no one wanted in the first place but we got a score composed by Philip glass here.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Check out this smokin hot preview of the score composed for the Definitely-Now-in-Preproduction 2Fant4stic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GL3yNFmv0o

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As bad as Fantastic Four craters, it still won't be the biggest flop of the year. Jupiter Ascending still cost way more and did a little bit worse.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.
Horrible casting for Mr. Fantastic. I want to punch Mr. Fantastic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

I just got done watching Whiplash and Teller sucked in that too

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

As bad as Fantastic Four craters, it still won't be the biggest flop of the year. Jupiter Ascending still cost way more and did a little bit worse.

Didn't Jupiter Ascending kill it outside of the US?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neo Rasa posted:

Didn't Jupiter Ascending kill it outside of the US?

It made about 75% of its money outside the US.

The budget was around 170 million and it's made over 180.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Drifter posted:

I swear, this is completely loving dumb. NO ONE gave a poo poo about Guardians of the Galaxy until the movie came out, not in pop culture. Saying the same of Fantastic Four and giving that as a reason for why the movie sucks is retarded.

You gotta be trolling with that whole post. Comic bubble, years ago, et cetera? Haha.

I think there might be somewhat of a bubble in that when it comes to blockbuster movies the studios are hugely reliant on people going to see a movie multiple times. Fantastic Four is marketed towards the guy who saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3 times in the theater, but that guy has already heard the negative word of mouth and seen the lackluster marketing and isn't going to see the movie at all. Hence it becomes a colossal bomb.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

For domestic gross the studio gets about half of it back, overseas gross they only gets about a quarter of it back. Which means that Jupiter Ascending got the studio less than $60 million for that $175 million production budget. I suspect that the marketing budget was especially bad on it too since they had two separate campaigns due to pulling it from release and then rescheduling almost a year later, but those numbers are things that they don't have to report.

With the way studios cover production costs these days you can never be completely certain, but there's no way that Warners didn't lose well over $100 million on Jupiter Ascending (I wouldn't be shocked if it was close to $200 million when everything is added up). Fox is probably going to be in that same ballpark with Fantastic Four...

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I still don't understand why sue wouldn't be around to come with them. i mean they literally call up some childhood friend back home to come look at their millions dollar teleporter, but gently caress you, lady who actually built the thing with us

if they wanted to sell her as the reasonable one why not have a scene where shes all "dont gently caress with that poo poo you idiots" as they ignore her advice

like whats the point of not naking grimm a part of the group from the start and cutting the scene where they ring him up, not like the film was strapped for time

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
This sounds just really sad. I was semi-interested from the trailers, was surprised how this movie got mauled immediately after release, and now it seems quite justified. What a waste of effort and money, and Trank will probably get all the blame.

Not that I care about seeing a good FF movie, but it can't be that hard to do.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
"Sorry Sue, we wanted to invite you, but we looked and didn't see you were around!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

I still don't understand why sue wouldn't be around to come with them. i mean they literally call up some childhood friend back home to come look at their millions dollar teleporter, but gently caress you, lady who actually built the thing with us

if they wanted to sell her as the reasonable one why not have a scene where shes all "dont gently caress with that poo poo you idiots" as they ignore her advice

like whats the point of not naking grimm a part of the group from the start and cutting the scene where they ring him up, not like the film was strapped for time
Yeah, I wasn't thinking about this at the time but it was pretty lame of em to just go boy's club. She deserved to be one of the first there too and in their drunken way they're unwittingly doing the same thing to Sue they're afraid NASA will do to them. I guess Sue kind of feels like the narc of the group, there's no way she wouldn't have just told her dad. Unless they could've gotten her wasted and convinced her with a spiel about Apollo too but Sue just felt too level-headed and not wrapped up in her ego compared to the rest of them. I mean if they're loving with poo poo she's not going to just tell them off and let them do it, as the Good Kid and not drunk/insane she'd probably go tell Doctor Storm or at least make sure a bunch of drunk kids stopped hanging around the machine (and hey who's this random guy you snuck in wasn't he at the science fair). Especially not with her brother at risk.
I found that whole series of events believable and amusing though, just a bunch of drunk dumbasses. Just like Doom's eyeroll-worthy line about waterboarding in the fourth dimension maaaan. I liked that they were young often brash and foolhardy mumbley brats, just too bad about the writing and a whole lot of other poo poo.

There were more than four pod things on the transporter, right?

And yeah I don't get the point of Grimm just being off on his own, when he was following Reed in at the beginning I'd just assumed he'd also gotten that new position because this vital genius Reed had been like "this is my valuable lab assistant, I know this is unconventional but he's been a vital part of my work". I guess they wanted the foursome of Reed-Sue-Victor-Johnny early on.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 10, 2015

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I think the only way a Fantastic Four movie ever works is if it isn't afraid to be goofy as hell. Without having seen this (because practically everything about it looked like garbage) outside of Michael B. Jordan, I don't think anyone involved could be part of a successful Fantastic Four movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Actually, if you want punch him, isn't it great casting?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Drifter posted:

Even considering what Random Stranger said, breaking even for a 170 million dollar movie is still considered bad in the business, even if it wasn't overseas and they made it all back.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 10, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This movie was a trainwreck, but the worst part is that I could see hints of an interesting movie underneath the surface. I really wish they would have played up the body horror aspect up a lot more, because the scenes where they get their powers and they're being experimented on in the military base and the scene where Dr Doom emerges from the portal and start slaughtering everyone were both really great, fantastic even.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MonsieurChoc posted:

Actually, if you want punch him, isn't it great casting?

He's the leader of the Fantastic Four, a humanitarian, and a husband and father. You're supposed to root for him, otherwise it makes no sense that Sue would love him or Johnny and Ben would follow him. I know modern comic writers like to knock down their idols because that's like super edgy and poo poo, but a guy has to be an idol before you can knock him down. Unlike comics Reed, who has been a hero for 50 years before they made him eeeeeeeevil, movie Reed's just some dweeb who's Accutane prescription ran out. Make him unlikable and the whole film falls apart.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Irish Joe posted:

He's the leader of the Fantastic Four, a humanitarian, and a husband and father. You're supposed to root for him, otherwise it makes no sense that Sue would love him or Johnny and Ben would follow him. I know modern comic writers like to knock down their idols because that's like super edgy and poo poo, but a guy has to be an idol before you can knock him down. Unlike comics Reed, who has been a hero for 50 years before they made him eeeeeeeevil, movie Reed's just some dweeb who's Accutane prescription ran out. Make him unlikable and the whole film falls apart.

Reed Richards: decent, sane person

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

most people who watch FF films will have never known about current rear end in a top hat reed richards or anything else

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Drifter posted:

It sounds like this went pretty much according to plan for them. They're not going to sell it. Their goal was to keep the property, and a movie going tits up isn't going to make them reevaluate that.
They spent $120 million on this movie. That's a rather big upkeep cost. They could have instead done what Constantin Film did: make a really low budget adaptation and not release it so as to legally hold on to the rights.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Reed Richards: decent, sane person

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oldpainless posted:

Hold on, do you mean THE Philip Glass?!

Unless there's a John Williams situation where there is Star Wars John Williams and classical guitarist John Williams I am going to say yes, the Philip Glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

For domestic gross the studio gets about half of it back, overseas gross they only gets about a quarter of it back.

[citation needed]

• Locked thread