Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ghogargi posted:

I really felt a wave of panic and misery, just by being around that sort of conversation/quip. That cannot be healthy.

I get that feeling right now from online roleplay. After my first and only life-absorbing MUSH experience came to an end last October, I haven't been able to get into any form of online roleplay at all -- not that I really feel the need for it? But, I've tried a few times, just writing collaborative stories with my boyfriend, and I keep getting these awful feelings. Working through that has been tough! I wish you the best of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

How come people like that can't be the least bit original? Is it just "everyone wants to be edgy", or something more specific?
Actually, is it a LARP thing or a Vampire (and similar) thing? My knowledge of Vampire (never played, but heard about it) and online RP would hint towards the latter, but you guys know better. At least I'm glad we don't have that kind of thing in my DnD game, but it's a whole different crowd.

You know that really popular character everybody loves? The one with the tragic backstory that broods all the time and becomes a reluctant hero or a badass villain? I'm sure you can think of some very popular games with characters that everybody worships.

The fantasy is to be That Guy.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Serperoth posted:

How come people like that can't be the least bit original? Is it just "everyone wants to be edgy", or something more specific?

Originality is loving shunned. Not joking either. One concept I came up with was for a character who was basically the personal iPod for a Fae, and no longer could communicate except through song lyrics, and this was vetoed by the domain storyteller!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Skunkrocker posted:

Originality is loving shunned. Not joking either. One concept I came up with was for a character who was basically the personal iPod for a Fae, and no longer could communicate except through song lyrics, and this was vetoed by the domain storyteller!

Uhhhhh

:yikes:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Not sure why that reaction, but okay.

Basically in the games about being outside of the mainstream, being weird, being an individual... original concepts outside of what is the new normal are verboten. Be average and contemporary or be busted, as Jello Biafra would say. Nine times out of ten characters will have the same lovely backstories as everyone else. The other one will be something so weird that other people won't accept it, and that weirdness comes in the form of not being like everyone else. You have to conform. At least in the Cam anyway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skunkrocker posted:

Not sure why that reaction, but okay.

Basically in the games about being outside of the mainstream, being weird, being an individual... original concepts outside of what is the new normal are verboten. Be average and contemporary or be busted, as Jello Biafra would say. Nine times out of ten characters will have the same lovely backstories as everyone else. The other one will be something so weird that other people won't accept it, and that weirdness comes in the form of not being like everyone else. You have to conform. At least in the Cam anyway.

I've never LARPed but have table topped. If someone said "my character only communicates by singing, enjoy!" I'd instantly ban them or make them think of a gimmick that was not insufferable.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Going back a little bit I'm not sure how I feel about the unironic blackface, arms and legs. Like I'm genuinely conflicted how to handle that.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Veskit posted:

Going back a little bit I'm not sure how I feel about the unironic blackface, arms and legs. Like I'm genuinely conflicted how to handle that.

Uh, follow-up question, why aren't you conflicted by ironic blackface? Blackface in general is pretty bad, I feel.

Maybe that is just me.

Edit: maybe this isn't the time or place to get into this...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Skunkrocker posted:

Uh, follow-up question, why aren't you conflicted by ironic blackface? Blackface in general is pretty bad, I feel.

Maybe that is just me.

Edit: maybe this isn't the time or place to get into this...

Irony involves a sense of mindfulness and understanding of what you're doing vs when it's unironic there is zero sense of how hosed up what you're doing is. Should you be more upset over someone doing something horrific in tongue and cheek knowing it's ok in that environment, or someone doing something with zero understanding of what they are doing, and that is literally the human person they are in the world outside of that one.

If there were black people there i guess doing it ironically is purely horrific, but if you knew the crowd I guess doing it ironically isn't as bad as there being someone just so out of it that they go ahead and do something like that. Like I'm a dark elf I have to be black in all ways!!!

If I've learned anything gently caress LARPing I'd lose it at some point and not in the fun internal loss but on someone. And then in a jail later.

Edit: These are my personal view points and not necessarily representative of any or all black people's personal viewpoint

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 3, 2016

Ghogargi
Aug 10, 2015

Veskit posted:

Irony involves a sense of mindfulness and understanding of what you're doing vs when it's unironic there is zero sense of how hosed up what you're doing is. Should you be more upset over someone doing something horrific in tongue and cheek knowing it's ok in that environment, or someone doing something with zero understanding of what they are doing, and that is literally the human person they are in the world outside of that one.

It was just one example of the general social obliviousness that permeated the culture. Same as the dude wearing the 'gently caress You You loving gently caress' shirt in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Or the chick who was told by hotel staff to please put on more than a draped scarf over her chest when walking through the public areas of the hotel. It was a constant thing. There was a reason that people were told at opening ceremonies to please remember to take showers.

And I don't know if it was the disconnect from reality, or the fact that they were socially inept to begin with.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ghogargi posted:

And I don't know if it was the disconnect from reality, or the fact that they were socially inept to begin with.

I've heard stories like these about "normal" nerd conventions, so probably the latter.

Nerds are loving terrible.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Ghogargi posted:

I mean, if you're socially inept, you generally aren't too in touch with reality anyway, on account of nobody invites you anywhere so you just sit inside and watch animu/play vidya/read dumb poo poo/chat with other people who just don't get why people make such a big deal about social mores I mean really, man, we're all born naked, I shouldn't have to wear proper clothing if I don't want to!

The former kind of springs from the latter.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've heard stories like these about "normal" nerd conventions, so probably the latter.

Nerds are loving terrible.

This. I've never LARPed, but I have backed out of a few otherwise-fun hobbies because of the toxic personalities I had to deal with. The worst part is that it only takes a few people to ruin an entire community.

This doesn't seem to be exclusive for nerd hobbies, though. I chose to quit a real-world, costume-free sports league because I was couldn't stand some of the people.

People are terrible.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I've never LARPed but have table topped. If someone said "my character only communicates by singing, enjoy!" I'd instantly ban them or make them think of a gimmick that was not insufferable.

Yeah, and I never said that so... okay, moving on.

Ghogargi posted:

It was just one example of the general social obliviousness that permeated the culture. Same as the dude wearing the 'gently caress You You loving gently caress' shirt in the lobby of the Ritz-Carlton hotel. Or the chick who was told by hotel staff to please put on more than a draped scarf over her chest when walking through the public areas of the hotel. It was a constant thing. There was a reason that people were told at opening ceremonies to please remember to take showers.

Admittedly most conventions I've gone to things like that happen.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

Yeah, and I never said that so... okay, moving on.

Close enough; "Can communicate only through song lyrics" is one of those gimmicks that's clever for maybe fifteen minutes, but gets increasingly grating in 99% of cases. I'm all for weird gimmick characters, but that's a one-trick pony.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Wow, I'm actually kinda weirded out by how similar everyone's White Wolf experiences are, both to each other and to mine, down to the whole inappropriate amount of violence and sexuality included in backstories. It's like people think they're being edgy, but they're just being creepy. Although I'm curious how much bad spelling people have seen, because that was another big feature of backstories. Sentences like "He surly had a gapping wood.", or translated from bad spelling, "He surely had a gaping wound".

That said, I think it's the continuing plot that seems to be the source of trouble in all of these. I've had way more fun in one-offs than I have in campaigns. It ensures there's not too much whining about things like how powerful a character is. If someone is overpowered, who cares? That character could be you next time.

Ghogargi
Aug 10, 2015

Domus posted:

Wow, I'm actually kinda weirded out by how similar everyone's White Wolf experiences are, both to each other and to mine, down to the whole inappropriate amount of violence and sexuality included in backstories. It's like people think they're being edgy, but they're just being creepy. Although I'm curious how much bad spelling people have seen, because that was another big feature of backstories. Sentences like "He surly had a gapping wood.", or translated from bad spelling, "He surely had a gaping wound".

My personal favorite was - "He mustard up his courage."

Absolutely slayed me.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Domus posted:

I think it's mostly that White Wolf's designed- from gameplay to aesthetic- to appeal to the edgelord demographic.

Never saw anyone's backstories written down, but I tend to assume that the bad spelling is just a universal across all of humanity. Some people just can't grasp the mechanics of the written word.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Puppy Time posted:

I think it's mostly that White Wolf's designed- from gameplay to aesthetic- to appeal to the edgelord demographic.

Never saw anyone's backstories written down, but I tend to assume that the bad spelling is just a universal across all of humanity. Some people just can't grasp the mechanics of the written word.

Whether or not they're deliberately courting that demographic is irrelevant; that demographic would glom onto something as bleak and apocalyptic as World of Darkness anyway. Now they're kind of stuck with that fan base whether they like it or not.

The setting is very well-designed and interesting; it's quite unlike other stuff but boy howdy does it attract massive poo poo lords. I haven't LARPed much but Vampire has always been one of my favorite settings but wow do people get way into their crazy power fantasies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Sabbat game I played in back in high school was pretty good, for a Vampire game. Everyone came out and made monsters, then reveled in it. Much less bullshit goth queening when a lot of the playerbase considers 'Fine, I hit you in the face with a shovel until you shut up.' to be a valid character response.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Domus posted:

Wow, I'm actually kinda weirded out by how similar everyone's White Wolf experiences are, both to each other and to mine, down to the whole inappropriate amount of violence and sexuality included in backstories. It's like people think they're being edgy, but they're just being creepy.

FWIW I knew of (although did not play in) a Changeling game that was intended to be "do stupid poo poo, go crazy, then make a new character and start over." The GMs had a policy of taking almost every player request, so Hypnotoad and Legolas and Peter Pan and Batman and so on showed up a lot for a while, and then after about 18 months it inevitably went to poo poo when some drama queen got too attached to the in-game power and started using the game as a proxy for her interpersonal problems. She did the same thing in a different larp (Dark Heresy, which is a terrible choice for social roleplaying), but the GM team (me) just killed her off. I'm not sure if White Wolf games just lend themselves to that kind of thing more easily, or if the people playing them are more tolerant of it. Probably some of both.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

There is a person I know in my judo club that used to take part in NERO and stopped due to his Masters, and training for Judo. People tried to pick fist fights with him at NERO meets when he used to go to them because he figured out the rules for maximum efficiency with his character. The man is a Heavyweight Judo champion, placed 8 times in Canadian Nationals, and 310 pounds of pure destruction. Maybe it is because I train with him,and feel the full force of his throws all time, that I could not imagine that someone would want to fight. Something tells me that LARPers might be the exact type who would pick a fight with someone that would bowl over them from first glance is like the happiest, nicest dude I know when you talk to him for 5 minutes.

The guy on the left in white is the dude who did LARP:

I know who this is. I've trained with him too and while I have always known him to be a respectful and extremely skilled competitor I certainly wouldn't want to tangle with him outside of a dojo... and I am about his size too.

(Also, hello fellow denizen of Fredericton).

Fearless fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 3, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Funny, I know someone a lot like that too; big, bearded, does LARPing, teaches martial arts, nice as pie, really wouldn't want to face him in a fight.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

So what I've read from this thread is that you need to more or less check out a community before you invest any time in something like this because more often than not you run into people who don't have a grip on reality? Are certain games or groups more prone to being weirdos?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BERGfu posted:

So what I've read from this thread is that you need to more or less check out a community before you invest any time in something like this because more often than not you run into people who don't have a grip on reality? Are certain games or groups more prone to being weirdos?

There's always going to be weirdos, drama sponges, special snowflakes and the like. The trick is to find the people who are having fun but not investing their whole lives and identities into playing make believe.

Which, admittedly, can be like panning for gold in a sewer sometimes.

On an unrelated note, Tom Garnett's photos of the previous Empire game are absolutely stunning, they really look like movie stills.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 7, 2016

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's always going to be weirdos, drama sponges, special snowflakes and the like. The trick is to find the people who are having fun but not investing their whole lives and identities into playing make believe.

Which, admittedly, can be like panning for gold in a sewer sometimes.

On an unrelated note, Tom Garnett's photos of the previous Empire game are absolutely stunning, they really look like movie stills.

Much as I know it's not the game for me, I do envy how awesome empire looks compared to the LT.

Which has had a massive burst of drama at the event just gone, after pvp broke out following a hit attempt on a faction leader (played by a dude called Matt Strange, who is pretty much the definition of 'LARP famous') and led to a group being exterminated; various people posted long video rants about it all, the leader of the wiped out group claiming they didn't know who they went after, getting everyone properly whipped up into a state of nerd-frenzy.

In response to this a friend of mine who runs one of the guilds wrote and posted this song (sneaking in an advert for one of his events too): https://www.facebook.com/michael.rees.1272/videos/10157251580900251/

Which then went viral, with a shitload of people from the system recording instrumental accompaniments to it and resulting in this: https://www.facebook.com/will.segerman/posts/10157388001640721

Which has spread all over the place, got radio play at several stations and loving ear wormed people so bad that people who don't even know what LARP /is/ found themselves singing it to themselves.

To be honest, probably the best possible response to in game drama.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Camrath posted:

Matt Strange mockery

yessssssssssss nerd tears

Empire is this weekend and there have already been some salty tears on Facebook from one of the nations who just lost one of their territories to the barbarians, while the senator from our group in another nation managed to raise 500 thrones (a Big loving Sum Of Money) for the purposes of having what is essentially a giant party for the newly elected Imperatrix. Luckily the response to most of this whinging has been "git gut scrubs", so it's business as usual to continue laughing at internet tryhards.

Haha, dude in the middle of the shot in the black armour and red beret is me

MikeCrotch fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Sep 8, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Your costume looks great!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

my cat is norris posted:

Your costume looks great!

Thanks! I've been adding feathers, brooches, poofy trousers and ribbons to everything because i've reading about 16th century dudes too much the Military History thread. Dudes knew how to war in style

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

BERGfu posted:

In my experience, stay the gently caress away from anything White Wolf related. Vampire, Werewolf, etc. And double the stay the gently caress away if it's their official group (Camarilla I think?). I do fest or combat larps, and every time the worst (unbalanced, lovely attitudes, difficult to deal with) players in them are from vampire or related games.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently local LARPers are getting mad about Pokemon Go players taking over their usual public park stomping grounds. lol. Nerd on nerd violence.

The fisherman are equally annoyed and amused by both.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

mlmp08 posted:

Apparently local LARPers are getting mad about Pokemon Go players taking over their usual public park stomping grounds. lol. Nerd on nerd violence.

The fisherman are equally annoyed and amused by both.

On weekends we play in a public park at night on the local university grounds, so occasionally you'll get people coming through walking their dog or riding bikes. So everyone has to stop fighting and stand around awkwardly while the normies get the gently caress out of dodge as soon as possible because holy poo poo weirdos with swords in the dark

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can't really imagine LARPing in a public place. Practising, sure, but not actual LARPing. One edge of CP's main site partially backs onto some gardens, so occasionally people will open their gate and watch if the larger battles take us all the way up that end, but otherwise its a private site.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've mostly LARPed in semi-isolated campgrounds. Pubbies had little reason to go to a reserved group campground unless they were really exploring the entire park, so we had only rare encounters. One guy was passing by on his motorcycle whenever a downpour broke out, so he had to take shelter in the camp's kitchen hall (the "town tavern"), where he was surrounded by LARP for like a whole hour before he could get the gently caress out.

Fortunately, he took it pretty well, and nobody was too weird to him.

The only time I've LARPed in a public space was whenever someone's city park pavilion would get rented out for one day events. That was more difficult because we'd run into families and weirded-out parents. I don't miss those days.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The group in Melbourne LARPs on a big public football field near a well-used public walking path.

poo poo gets jacked from the sidelines all the time. Bags, phones, even LARP equipment.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Used to do combat practice in a very small park in St John's Wood, central London.

It's a very jewish area, and at the time we did it you'd get all the kids walking back from synagogue with their folks and wanting to try it out. There's something awesome about seeing several orthodox families in full regalia swinging around battle-axes.

As for other public stuff- SlenderLARP has done a few games which have been in the middle of towns/public areas, but that system's low combat and present day, so that was workable. Can't imagine doing a fantasy or sci-fi game without a closed site.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I might've already posted this, but there was a small group of 4-5 people who constantly did conversation heavy LARP in the center of our university student union, an area ripe for parent and VIP visitors.

One day the lone woman in the group was role playing, very loudly, some sort of ailment or injury and when bystanders came up to help, the LARPers would then yell at them for interrupting the scene. Repeatedly. It was some of he most attention seeking bullshit I've ever seen.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't really imagine LARPing in a public place. Practising, sure, but not actual LARPing. One edge of CP's main site partially backs onto some gardens, so occasionally people will open their gate and watch if the larger battles take us all the way up that end, but otherwise its a private site.

Hence why we do it in the dark, the University doesn't allow us to do it during the day. We only get interrupted a couple of times a session (several hours long).

Probably more of a surprise for the joggers this way though...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

There's no way I'd LARP in public, I want my escapist, drinking/fighting weekend to be as far removed from real life as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Veskit posted:

If I've learned anything gently caress LARPing

It's a typo, but same.

• Locked thread