Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Camrath posted:

StarwarsMUSH

Whoa. You're the first person I've ever met out in the rest of the world who was on that. I was active for about 3 years in high school, probably ~1999-2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Tabletop RPGs are like sex: when it's something you do with people you have known for a while and it's part of a larger relationship it's great. When you start meeting strangers off the internet for it poo poo gets weird fast.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

They're also the people who will drop thousands of dollars on your next expansion or card set or whatever. They're the ones who drive the market for better or worse. MMOs are a perfect example.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Goddamn yeah. Ugh the waste. It's not like you even learn to write well.

While I didn't get into the RP aspects of it, a few years spent on SWMUD did have one positive side affect: it really kick started my touch typing speed. That has had some pretty long-term benefits for me as a big chunk of my professional life now involves a lot of composition.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Some people never get past high school mentally and love feeling like their life is a dramatic soap opera. That isn't just s larp thing. My guess is that a lot of those people love the batshit crazy drama (the OC stuff also not just the vampire prince poo poo).

I spent way too many of my weekend nights as an angsty teen smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee in Shoney's with a super drama "queen of the geeks" type. EVERYTHING was a crisis, everything was the most important/scandalous/SERIOUS BUSINESS/etc. thing ever. Admittedly some of our friends were pretty hosed up (people with opiate problems create all sorts of crazy poo poo just by existing) but a lot of it was just making drama to have something to sit around and feel adult about while chain smoking and drinking lovely diner coffee at 1am. That's pretty normal. Most people grow out of it, have a few life experiences that teach them that real drama isn't as fun as the zero-consequence HS poo poo, and generally mellow out. Some people stay that way their whole life and are pretty miserable to be around, and some of those people end up pretending they're ancient werewolf master beekeepers on the weekend.

edit: really the only thing about any of this that stands out as over the top for geek drama is how much they get involved in that one single thing. The sex part is pretty par for the course for socially awkward people who think that because they got picked on nothing can ever be criticized and who cluster together into very tight, incestuous social groups. I've known more than one chubby-ish, kinda average looking girl who became Queen of the Nerds by dint of being "sexually open/mature" (aka willing to gently caress people casually) and hanging out with guys who had a near-zero chance of getting laid in highschool. Every single one of them thought of themselves as a seductress as well, which in hindsight is loving hilarious. Those guys could get "seduced" by a microwaved trout.

edit x2: and before I seem overly harsh, I was one of those guys - only I never even managed to get any of the sex. I was truly spineless before college.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 26, 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LARP is like any other nerd hobby. There's usually nothing wrong with the thing itself, it's just the people who enjoy it that can be loving toxic.

You could easily have a thread titled "Ask me about how hanging out at a comic book shop in highschool destroyed my life and my soul."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I wondered for years why everyone immediately asks if it's a sex thing when I tell them about LARPing. Then I found this thread. Mystery solved I guess.

I'd say it probably has to do with most people immediately having a sexual connotation if you say you're into role-play. Most people go to playing quarterback and cheerleader in the bedroom, not pretending you're a half-elf wizard.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BiggerJ posted:

The reason American larps are like this, from what I've read, seems to be that people in the US are a lot more judgmental about hobbies than Europeans are. The US tends to be more capitalistic, so putting a lot of time, money and effort into something that doesn't make one money is often looked down upon.

hahahaha what?

Go to any given US hobby convention - be it fly fishing or anime loli furry poo poo - and you will see all sorts of people spending waaaaaaaaaay too much loving money on niche hobbies. There is certainly a stigma attached to some hobbies about it being nerdy poo poo for the 40 year old virgin brigade, but that has nothing to do with wasting your hard earned capitalist dollars on frivolous pursuits. If you really want to get all sophomore year political theory on it American culture loving basks and revels in conspicuous consumption to the point where people are thought odd if they DONT spend money on all sorts of stupid, useless poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm just a random lurker in this thread who reads it for the bad geek stories, but take care of yourself. I'm not going to lay the none of it is your fault line on you but remember that you're no use to her if you're busy tearing yourself s new one.

It sounds like you two have very similar issues. Perhaps consider some joint counseling in addition to whatever she's doing on her own? Just a thought from someone not licensed or educated to give real advice.

Take care of yourself, though. You can't support her if you're spiraling yourself.

• Locked thread