Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Man. Nerds being crazy are in my experience the weirdest of weird.

Tell me your craziest story, or at least begin to lampshade it with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ghogargi posted:

I played in a few different LARPs. World of Darkness was the main one, and it’s the focus of this stuff.

Oh man, say no more. Crazytown.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Man, loving tabletop games. I've only done LARPing the once, but finding out that of the original group I played in usually one or two were sex offenders. I learned that about them way later in life. I played with them for a few years before they cleared out and I started to bring in not creepy people.

Later I ran games. Most people were pretty chill, but occasionally when I invite someone they think that I'm giving them carte blanche to be a creep.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Armagnac posted:

But for Fantasy Style Larps, the best way to tell if it's any good or the people playing are going to make it fun is the costumes. If they look good, it's usually a good group. The biggest tell is the shoes. If the photos of the larp have anyone with sneakers in it, it's probably super creepy and full of weird kids.

Why sneakers exactly?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Ghogargi posted:

He didn't read a drat thing he was handed. At the end of the night, the Storyteller revealed that it was my husband's character who'd been orchestrating the coup that was the main focus of the game. My husband was like 'It was?' The Storyteller said, 'Yes, it's all in the notes I gave you! Didn't you read them?' and my drunk husband just said, 'Nope'. The Storyteller was furious and sputtery the rest of the night. No one else cared - they'd had a grand time interacting with my husband and enjoying the in-character party. It was glorious. I would have felt bad if the Storyteller was a good dude who was just trying to give us a good time, but the guy was such an unbearable know-it-all and a squelcher of all things fun.

See, this is when my own mind goes directly into "It seems that he is and he is way too faded to realize it". This week the backstabbing wasn't coming from the last person you thought it was coming from, it was from a person who was so obvious you wouldn't believe it. You have been outwitted by a self-absorbed, foppish gently caress up and you should all be ashamed. Then I make urging motions and then get him to roll with it.

Sort of like a modern day Cataline Conspiricy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catiline

Or it doesn't even have to go that far. Sometimes conspiracies include weird, larger than life people, or tremendous screw ups, or people who you swear just stepped out of a comic book.

I would be mad that what I wrote wasn't read, but the show must go on. Don't give plot relevant information to the obviously drunk person next time.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

SneakyFrog posted:

drat YOU FITNESS

i get this mental picture of him daintly skipping ahead of some huge overweight behemoth heaving after him panting

Physical fitness is OP.

• Locked thread