Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
This whole thread is fascinating, and I want to thank everyone who is giving me a look into this strange subculture.

It sounds like the lifers will spend huge amounts of money on whole wardrobes. Does this mean players who wear cheap costumes looked down on? Is wearing the same costume every event acceptable?

I would guess a lot of the "fun" from these things comes from playing dress-up, but are there any consequences to having too much fun? Would they ban someone for dressing up like Count Chocula, or would they just work around it?

Also, I don't know much about Vampire, but I played the video game. Do people RP as the crazy vampires? How does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
This thread is amazing. More stories about LARPers!

Some part of me thinks I could actually enjoy that kind of thing. I've done a few murder dinner party things, and I love doing improv even though I'm terrible at it. Reading these stories makes me glad I never got involved in that kind of community.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Liquid Communism posted:

You've... never heard of Airsoft, have you?

In the history of the United States, police have never mistaken an airsoft gun for a real gun.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

:thejoke:

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Anoia posted:

When I quit playing I tried keeping in touch with some of the more tolerable players and sooner or later they'd still end up talking about the latest incredible make-believe happenings. We ended up drifting completely apart cause holy poo poo I don't care about how you bluffed your way past a demon lord we're in a coffee shop people are staring.
Bluffed his way past a DEMON LORD????????? :aaa:

Your friend is awesome. Who wouldn't stare? They wanted to hear how his noble quest ended. Please tell us his story.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

MikeCrotch posted:

Yup. Also, like any nerdy hobby the moderation is important. Some systems will ban remorseless dickheads and will tell others to tone their activity down, while others are much more hands off and so tend to be populated by more griefers and arseholes.

When I think griefer, I think of video games where fat ogres stand in doorways so nobody can pass or teamkillers in FPSs. Some are dumb and some are really funny, but they tend to be people going out of their way to get other players mad, particularly the ones who take the game too seriously.

Is this was a LARP griefer is? Or is it more an rear end in a top hat personality thing? Does anyone have any funny griefer stories?

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

MikeCrotch posted:

Dude had made his character for the first time that event, walked onto field in his cumbersome dragon gear only to get jumped and stabbed to death by some guy 6 feet inside the entrance to the playing area. RIP

In the stabber's defense, it sounds like this guy griefed himself. If I'm roleplaying a hero dude and a dragon shows up, that dragon is going to get stabbed and looted... That's what dragons are for, after all.

Edit: Are there any good pictures or videos of racially insensitive LARPers? Sounds hilarious.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
LARPers: please tell me about your character.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
To be fair, if they did need treatment they probably would have anyway, with or without your involvement. I'm not convinced that the correlation between LARPing and mental illness is evidence that otherwise normal people can end up damaged by any make-believe experience they have while pretending to be a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I've heard stories like these about "normal" nerd conventions, so probably the latter.

Nerds are loving terrible.

This. I've never LARPed, but I have backed out of a few otherwise-fun hobbies because of the toxic personalities I had to deal with. The worst part is that it only takes a few people to ruin an entire community.

This doesn't seem to be exclusive for nerd hobbies, though. I chose to quit a real-world, costume-free sports league because I was couldn't stand some of the people.

People are terrible.

• Locked thread