Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Camrath posted:

For the Camarilla it's entirely down to your character sheet- combat is played out with scissors-paper-stone. For the systems I play, it's a mix of hard and soft skills (as I defined earlier in the thread), but for the most part if you have the hard skills you can do better than someone with lots of soft skills and no experience. In my case I have about 15 years of sabre fencing under my belt, and at least up until I broke my shoulder last year (at a LARP event no less) I was confident of beating almost anyone in the field, all other things being equal- and I have a collection of tournament wins to prove it. Even now I'd put myself in the 99th percentile, though I can't use 42" swords anymore due to the risk of aggravating the injury. You find a lot of different styles of combat represented- fencing, kendo, escrima, HEMA and of course a lot of people who have no real idea how to fight (I also teach LARP fighting professionally and have run a fair few masterclasses in the subject). However no style is entirely suitable for field use unmodified- for example thrusting with swords is absolutely verboten; you have to pull all blows and so on. And sometimes someone with no formal training can surprise you with what they come out with! My biggest problem in the past few years is switching from playing a heavily armoured tank with a full warrior build to.. Well, playing a pimp. I only have 2-3 hits per location including armour, so I'm something of a glass cannon these days!

Soft skills in the LT can make your blows have special effects- ignore armour, break shields, that sort of thing. So while they make you more effective, you still need to actually land the blows and defend yourself.

This is quite interesting, you've kind of already answered my question! I've done a bit of Kali/Arnis/Escrima, and was watching your video thinking that whilst you'd obviously done something related to fighting, the other guy really didn't know what he was doing. I've got a few friends that do some LARP (it's not my thing), and they always hold that knowing what they're doing in an actual fight makes the pretend fighting loads easier. I guess it's like you say, the 'hard' skills make a whole lot of difference. It's an interesting thing to learn. I've always found the whole LARP thing cringey as gently caress, in fairness. Each to their own, but it's not my thing. However, one of them died recently, and guess where his wake is going to be? I'm going to be borrowing some armour...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Camrath posted:

If you're scottish/from the Aberdeen area, colour me scared at the smallness of the world.. (a close friend of mine from Uni and LARP died last month and we're holding his wake at the Gathering this year.)

And yeah, having any sort of background in a combat sport helps. I'm not sure about how well unarmed martial arts would transfer across directly, though I guess even just the concept of maintaining your balance and responding to incoming blows would help. I've seen some truly awesome escrima-based ambidex fighters in my time; my own ambi style is more a combination of my fencing background and being genuinely ambidextrous rather than any formal training. Fun fact. I broke my shoulder at the start of a linear (I guess the equivalent of 'an adventure', where a smaller group goes to deal with plot/monsters in a seperate location of the site); my right arm simply stopped working so I switched over to my left, fought on for the next hour until I was the last man standing and THEN went to first aid. Not my smartest of moments, but eh.

No, I'm from Cornwall! The Kali two-sticks (or stick and dagger) type stuff seems to be great for building a bit of ambidexterity, you just get it forced on you till it makes sense. I think my friend went to something called Dumnonni (I'm not sure)?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Camrath posted:

Yeah, Dunmonni chronicles. A game I've always been interested in checking out- I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Condolences about your friend. It shouldn't surprise me that two larpers died in the same summer; the community is actually pretty big in the UK. Still feels weird to think about though.

Condolences to you too. I knew my friend through our martial arts club, he trained for years, was a healthy little motherfucker, and only mid-thirties, had a heart attack and died. Clean living dude too. It's been weird since he died, finding out just how heavily he was into the LARP scene, I knew he was into it, but he was into it on the scale of building actual roundhouses and poo poo. I'll be at his wake, so I will get to see first-hand what I've always mocked, maybe I'm wrong. I'm happy to be open minded about the whole thing, and I'll certainly honour his memory in the way he would've wanted (getting hosed up in a roundhouse, I believe).

• Locked thread