Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MikeCrotch posted:

There is also the fact you allude to that some systems end up with a 'lunatics running the asylum' situation, where powerful, old characters are the ones making key decisions for everyone, and unfortunately are pretty unlikely to take a hit to their own power for the good of the new guys.

It also doesn't help that you have people getting a serious sense of entitlement once they've been in a game for a long time. I've even had to deal with this in pen and paper stuff from time to time. "I've been in this campaign for years and I earned my power! Why did you start the new guy at level 13?"

Because the party is level 15 and I don't want him to die instantly if a monster looks at him funny. "But he can survive if I cast Finger of Death at him!" Good, your dumb rear end doesn't need to be lording power over the new guy and ruining it for him. Besides you go to be here for all the cool story poo poo and he's just joining; don't act like you missed out. And by the way I wouldn't let you randomly Finger of Death the new guy anyway.

Needless to say I don't play with that guy anymore. Few things are more disruptive to games than somebody who just has to twist the story into "hey everybody look at how much more powerful I am than the rest of the party!" Bro, I'm trying to tell a story here and you're supposed to be participating in it not ruining everybody else's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

How come people like that can't be the least bit original? Is it just "everyone wants to be edgy", or something more specific?
Actually, is it a LARP thing or a Vampire (and similar) thing? My knowledge of Vampire (never played, but heard about it) and online RP would hint towards the latter, but you guys know better. At least I'm glad we don't have that kind of thing in my DnD game, but it's a whole different crowd.

You know that really popular character everybody loves? The one with the tragic backstory that broods all the time and becomes a reluctant hero or a badass villain? I'm sure you can think of some very popular games with characters that everybody worships.

The fantasy is to be That Guy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Puppy Time posted:

I think it's mostly that White Wolf's designed- from gameplay to aesthetic- to appeal to the edgelord demographic.

Never saw anyone's backstories written down, but I tend to assume that the bad spelling is just a universal across all of humanity. Some people just can't grasp the mechanics of the written word.

Whether or not they're deliberately courting that demographic is irrelevant; that demographic would glom onto something as bleak and apocalyptic as World of Darkness anyway. Now they're kind of stuck with that fan base whether they like it or not.

The setting is very well-designed and interesting; it's quite unlike other stuff but boy howdy does it attract massive poo poo lords. I haven't LARPed much but Vampire has always been one of my favorite settings but wow do people get way into their crazy power fantasies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

99% of why Werewolf was the only good OWOD game. "gently caress it, we're just going to be superheroes." works there.

Eh, werewolf attracts its own band of morons. Also never, ever play that with somebody who thinks they're an alpha male (you know the type) because they'll max all their combat skills and spend the entire time challenging pack hierarchy until they're at the top. Then they'll make God awful decisions and blame everybody else when they go wrong.

The other twits are insufferable furry pagans who want to spend all their time in the spirit world interpreting the symbols but fail to get the most obvious things you throw at them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Camrath posted:

See, I absolutely love the old Werewolf setting- racial stereotype werewolves banding together to be a hard-18 version of Captain Planet will never not be awesome. However the LARP rules are just /too/ ridiculous for me to even consider trying it, even without the baggage of dealing with WoD LARPers. The whole 'I represent transforming into a 9' tall slavering death machine by putting my arms up and making myself look big' thing just sounds so awkward and stupid..

Werewolf is one of those games that just plain doesn't work for LARPing. The setting is great if you do it right but god drat do people tend to never, ever do it right.

• Locked thread