Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The level of damage from LARP is really starting to look like a chicken and the egg kind of question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
After doing a GIS of "WoD LARP" I can affirm that it looks awful compared to foam sword battles in a field.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I've never LARPed outside a couple of a couple murder mystery dinner party "once and done" scenarios, but the couple of guys I used to know who did were definitely in a LARP environment more akin to WWE than sexy court politics.

They'd mostly grandstand and make bawdy speeches then hit each other with fluffy weapons and get mad when the archer used too much draw weight and left welts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

1500quidporsche posted:

The parallels between autocross lifers and LARP lifers minus sexual deviancy are pretty frightening, it was the exact same issue described in this thread. Newcomers don't know poo poo, casuals don't give a poo poo and the lifers take advantage of that. I'm sure there are plenty of activities like that, it usually just doesn't involves a cat elf giving blowjobs in a backwoods cabin to a bunch of fat nerds.

You found the worst auto cross club. Most I've attended have erred on the side of bending rules to make it more accessible to newbies and most of the best drivers/lifers are eager to either ride codriver with new drivers or take new drivers along with them on their runs, minus their last record run.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

. But, yeah, corsets are the exception for some reason and would just grant armor points.

I'm sure part of it is so nerdy dudes can peep girls in corsets but it may also be that women want to be viable in battle without looking shapeless or wearing a bunch of heavy gear. It's not only straight men who lead to fantasy/sci-if/whatever armor often showing at least some semblance of feminine curves in pop culture.

It's a way to look more stereotypically feminine if one desires while still looking fantasy/olden days and without adding a ton of weight but not becoming as weak as a wet bag. :shrug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm lolling at the idea of using vampire LARP investigation preceding a to just file a civil suit or go to the cops.

"Your honor this lawsuit is frivolous I already lost prestige points!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

dogcrash truther posted:

What...what does this mean?

It means I still can't tell if this thread is performance art.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mario Party owns, though, except for those nasty blisters the N64 version would give you if you were committed to winning.

Everything I've read about vampire LARP in here points to a game that revolves around attention-seeking, preening, and either being there the longest or being under the protection of those who have been there the longest, all with sexual and mental-games overtones. It remains a case of chicken and the egg conundrum to me as to why it is THE WORST.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Milky Moor posted:

My Facebook feed has been filled with people histrionic about the fact they have 'post-LARP depression' after a weekend away.

Part of this sadness involved an 'epic' quest line where the final thing was one guy convincing another depressed character to commit suicide - for the good of their faction, you see.

Ask me about Facebook destroying my life and my soul.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Is this was a LARP griefer is? Or is it more an rear end in a top hat personality thing? Does anyone have any funny griefer stories?

My favorite LARP griefers were the unintentional kind when this group who always larped inside the university student union building were role playing giving first aid or poison treatment or something to a wailing woman lying on the ground.

One of them yelled at like the fifth person to try to see what the gently caress was wrong because they were ruining their role play experience.

Then again, larping in a central foot traffic hub is just a bald plea for attention and oh so random.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The grossest and most goony part of that story is that buying in-game massages is even possible. Yuck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Camrath posted:

I'm not about to defend the dude, because he sounds like a loving cancer on the hobby, but what's wrong with that? I just got back last night from an LT event, where for the past three years now I've been running an IC tavern and brothel; you pay some plastic coins and then get a 15 minute backrub from one of my ladies or gentlemen in the back room, as well as cakes and booze.

"OOC this is a back rub but IC you're tugging my magic wand" is still pretty goony to me.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shbobdb posted:

If I started an anti larp documentary kick starter would you be down?

I cannot fathom a time continuum in which this would work out well. Bitter ex-larpers hanging out together handling a project requiring positions of authority, management of resources, and coordinating events while attempting to excoriate LARPers who fail at the same is a recipe for some prime drama though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Serperoth posted:

How come people like that can't be the least bit original? Is it just "everyone wants to be edgy", or something more specific?
Actually, is it a LARP thing or a Vampire (and similar) thing? My knowledge of Vampire (never played, but heard about it) and online RP would hint towards the latter, but you guys know better. At least I'm glad we don't have that kind of thing in my DnD game, but it's a whole different crowd.

Back when I table topped a little bit I had a backstory for a character that amounted to a down on his luck worker getting fed up with limited work opportunities and having a lovely boss and deciding to try his luck hunting for treasure. I gave him a completely basic sword which I explained by saying his father was a vet who died comfortably of old age. DM thought this was not nearly "deep" enough and suggested I add in poo poo like a murdered family or baron stole my family home or my beloved being abducted or something.

That trite poo poo is just baked into so many origin stories, and so everyone feels they need a special snowflake origin story.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skunkrocker posted:

Originality is loving shunned. Not joking either. One concept I came up with was for a character who was basically the personal iPod for a Fae, and no longer could communicate except through song lyrics, and this was vetoed by the domain storyteller!

Uhhhhh

:yikes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Skunkrocker posted:

Not sure why that reaction, but okay.

Basically in the games about being outside of the mainstream, being weird, being an individual... original concepts outside of what is the new normal are verboten. Be average and contemporary or be busted, as Jello Biafra would say. Nine times out of ten characters will have the same lovely backstories as everyone else. The other one will be something so weird that other people won't accept it, and that weirdness comes in the form of not being like everyone else. You have to conform. At least in the Cam anyway.

I've never LARPed but have table topped. If someone said "my character only communicates by singing, enjoy!" I'd instantly ban them or make them think of a gimmick that was not insufferable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Apparently local LARPers are getting mad about Pokemon Go players taking over their usual public park stomping grounds. lol. Nerd on nerd violence.

The fisherman are equally annoyed and amused by both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I might've already posted this, but there was a small group of 4-5 people who constantly did conversation heavy LARP in the center of our university student union, an area ripe for parent and VIP visitors.

One day the lone woman in the group was role playing, very loudly, some sort of ailment or injury and when bystanders came up to help, the LARPers would then yell at them for interrupting the scene. Repeatedly. It was some of he most attention seeking bullshit I've ever seen.

• Locked thread