Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

When in Jerusalem, I highly suggest you visit the sexeteria.

Skunkrocker posted:

Here, I'll give a run down of the average game where I came from.

That's it.

It's really loving lame.

Interesting thread and thanks for the description. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. I played D&D like every other nerd when I was in high school so I get the general idea of roleplaying, but how are things actually resolved? In the example above where someone is going to "hack into the tv station's computer to get employment records", does the character in question simply have "hacking skillz"? Does it automatically succeed or do they have to do something? (In the tabletop games I played, someone would have to roll a d20 or something to see if it was successful). Does the GM arbitrate?

How is bad behavior discouraged? So if I'm at one of these sessions and decide I want to kill some other guy do I simply walk up and jab a foam knife in his ear? Do I tell the GM that this is what I'm going to do and the guy can try to thwart it? Is it simply "you can't do that" or you'll never be invited back?

I apologize if these are obvious questions, just trying to understand this culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

Camrath posted:

Speaking on behalf of multiple different systems, the way those things are dealt with in my experience are through a combination of so called 'hard' and 'soft' skills. Hard skills are what you, the player are actually capable of doing, soft skills are the ones listed on your character sheet that your character can do. So, for the hacking example (we had a similar situation in a modern horror game I played) you'd talk to one of the refs and explain what you wanted to achieve and why your character would be able to, together with possibly an explanation of how they'd go about it. Then a result would be decided by the game team. For the 'I want to kill you' situation you described, that would come down more to hard-skills for the most part- if you're able to get close enough to your target to stab them up and you have the weapon and skills to use it.. Then they get stabbed. I've seen some incredibly sneaky PvP violence before (and died to one particularly well executed hit); people can get very inventive and very sneaky. Then again I've also offed another PC by literally walking up behind them, pressing an airsoft 40mm grenade launcher into their back and firing. Which was anything but stealthy after the fact given the bang they make when they go off, but was considered a totally valid kill by the game team.

Thanks for this explanation. So if I'm in a session where there might be "somebody out to get me", I would have to essentially pay very close attention (e.g. not let someone sneak up behind me)?

To me sounds like it would be a lot of fun with the right people and in small doses, but based on this thread, it sounds like those two conditions are met only rarely.

Victory Yodel
Jan 28, 2005

Camrath posted:

For weapons and other large items that aren't attached to the body, or anything with a lammie left unattended, you can just grab it and take it down to GOD (Game Operations Desk) with a suitable phys-rep of your own (a phys-rep is a 'physical representation', IE a sword, dagger, bottle, scroll, piece of armour or whatever that the lammie is attached to) and transfer across the lammie to your posession- security then take posession of the stolen item and the owner can go down to collect it at any point. For stuff like gold, or anything in someone's pockets then you have to search them first- you spend 60 seconds roleplaying the search after telling them what you're doing, and at the end they have to hand across any items that they're carrying (obviously, this works best if the target is dead or unconscious at the time!). Actual physical contact as opposed to weapons blows or whatever is an absolute no-no without consent.

In other words, if I leave my nerf/latex sword, I can still get the physical item back but it is no longer in the game world? Where do the "lammies" come from in the first place? What's to stop someone from having the "bloody vorpal sword of killing you dead +5"? Do people every cry "no fair" on someone's items?

Also, if I wanted to play a brigand, I could whack someone with my sword from behind to knock them out but I wouldn't be able to physically touch them? I have no idea why I keep asking questions, I just find the mechanisms fascinating.

• Locked thread