Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Do black people LARP? If so are they different than everyone else? I just don't see it happening.

Also OP i'm not sure if it's something you want to share with the thread or anything, but you talked about therapy and your mental issues and everything but did you receive a diagnosis? You don't have to answer just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah, black people LARP but not a huge amount as you can probably guess. It's a big ol' bone of contention in the UK LARP community at the minute as to whether PoC are not interested in LARPing because at its core LARP is pretty loving nerdy and therefore the domain of white neckbeards, or if the actions of the LARP community like having drow in blackface parading around is turning PoC off the game. A mixed-race member of my group was unironically called half-caste to his face by a white guy so clearly there are some unresolved issues, although that could just be because a lot of British people are big ol' racists whether or not they are LARPers.

Jesus christ.

Also a common theme was playing out your internal fantasies outwardly with others so I had to imagine when you put a mask on a mask on a racist, or a hood and made it somewhat anonymous then yeah... People could get carried away

Taran posted:

To throw another perspective onto the pile, I'm a New Englander who can be accused of (combat/boffer) LARPing while black, and yeah, there aren't many of us! I can think of maybe 6-7 people I know in the community around here that I'm in (out of maybe 300-400?), and in most of the games I've been involved in in the past year or two, I'm the only one. My real-life race hasn't been of much relevance to my gameplay, since most people aren't going to write "you need to be white to play an elf" in their rules, and people these days hopefully aren't going to try to give out different stats for people based on skin color. I'm not writing "Black" on my character sheet, I'm writing "Human Paladin" or "Elf Wizard" or whatever.

However, in terms of barriers to entry for the community, you still have to get past things like the lack of minority representation in fantasy (or better yet, the thing where "black" = "evil" in many works) before you get more people of color interested in fantasy stuff as a whole, never mind getting into the hobby of spending a weekend in the woods pretending to be an elf with a padded sword. For me it's no problem, but I can see how many people wouldn't even consider it.

Is there any extra camaraderie with everyone else or is it not like that?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Taran posted:

If you're asking "do the black folks in this circle associate with each other especially often due to race?", I'd say no. I hope I'm answering the right question though?

Yeah that's what I was asking. I kinda get why they don't but I feel like they should ohhh well.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Going back a little bit I'm not sure how I feel about the unironic blackface, arms and legs. Like I'm genuinely conflicted how to handle that.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

Uh, follow-up question, why aren't you conflicted by ironic blackface? Blackface in general is pretty bad, I feel.

Maybe that is just me.

Edit: maybe this isn't the time or place to get into this...

Irony involves a sense of mindfulness and understanding of what you're doing vs when it's unironic there is zero sense of how hosed up what you're doing is. Should you be more upset over someone doing something horrific in tongue and cheek knowing it's ok in that environment, or someone doing something with zero understanding of what they are doing, and that is literally the human person they are in the world outside of that one.

If there were black people there i guess doing it ironically is purely horrific, but if you knew the crowd I guess doing it ironically isn't as bad as there being someone just so out of it that they go ahead and do something like that. Like I'm a dark elf I have to be black in all ways!!!

If I've learned anything gently caress LARPing I'd lose it at some point and not in the fun internal loss but on someone. And then in a jail later.

Edit: These are my personal view points and not necessarily representative of any or all black people's personal viewpoint

Veskit fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread