Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

hahahaha what?

Go to any given US hobby convention - be it fly fishing or anime loli furry poo poo - and you will see all sorts of people spending waaaaaaaaaay too much loving money on niche hobbies. There is certainly a stigma attached to some hobbies about it being nerdy poo poo for the 40 year old virgin brigade, but that has nothing to do with wasting your hard earned capitalist dollars on frivolous pursuits. If you really want to get all sophomore year political theory on it American culture loving basks and revels in conspicuous consumption to the point where people are thought odd if they DONT spend money on all sorts of stupid, useless poo poo.
This is correct.

It's more like some things are considered weird and nerdy and others aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
My heart goes out to you, Ghogargi. What a tough spot to be in; none of us want to see our kids repeat our mistakes. For what it's worth from an internet stranger, I think it is fantastic that you are taking the steps you're taking. I don't want to play internet psychologist (I don't play one in real life either) so please take this for what it is...I want to try to encourage you somehow. I work with a lot of families and I tell parents this all the time:

You are going to screw your kids up, no matter what. They will need counseling because of some of the things you do, no matter how good your intentions are. Through your best efforts and your failures you're going to make mistakes as a parent that have a big impact on your kids. Even some of the things you do right will have some negative impact on them.

Some people, including myself, find that sort of thing comforting. None of us will be perfect parents, and our dysfunctions don't just disappear. In some ways, you're a bad parent. In some ways, you're a great parent. The fact that you've identified and are addressing some of the mistakes you've made, and doing so with honesty and humility with your daughter, is massive. Most parents never get there.

• Locked thread