Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

What's the verdict on Windows 10?
Marginally better than Win8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

At the very least, better than Windows ME.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

dpbjinc posted:

Try using Disk Cleanup and selecting Thumbnails, then log out and back in.

No luck :(

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Have you tried throwing some rice over your shoulder, restarting the computer 5 times in a row, then saying a prayer to Gates?

That or unpinning then repinning the programs in the start menu (right click on them)?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

ElrondHubbard posted:

Have you tried throwing some rice over your shoulder, restarting the computer 5 times in a row, then saying a prayer to Gates?

That or unpinning then repinning the programs in the start menu (right click on them)?

Gave that a shot too - the unpinning and re-pinning - with no love.

Oddly enough, when I use something like Stardock's Start10 start menu replacement, it loads all the icons correctly.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Can I change the source of the News app's news? Or is there a good RSS reader app with a live tile?

Also, is there an easy way to get Gmail, google calendar, etc (basically all the stuff tied to my Google account that I've created on my phone) into live tiles?

I really like the idea of those tiles, but I'm not setting up everything on a second account just to fit the MS format.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

My preferred RSS reader is Nextgen Reader, syncs with Feedly. You used to be able to change the source for the news app in the 8.1 app, but I can't find it in the 10 version. :psyduck: It still uses the sources I set up in 8.1 though, so that code exists somewhere.

You can just go into the mail (and calendar) app and link your Google account, making sure to set the sync settings to your preference. My Gmail accounts show up in there just as well as my MS account stuff and they populate the live tiles when new stuff comes in.

Also, a cool thing: you can right click on the name of each email account and pin it as a separate tile from the main mail app, to get a live tile for just that email account, so you could separate out work from home if you wanted. The best live tiles are still the weather and the translator app set to the large size. :allears:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Quick question. My girlfriend needs a new laptop but we're trying to stay away from Windows 8. If we buy one with Windows 8 installed, are we still eligible for the free upgrade or is that only for users of 7/8 prior to the release date of 10? I'm guessing the former, I just wanna make sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good app that can let you read Word files (besides..you know...Word)? The normal Word app sucks at letting me enlarge text on my screen and whatnot.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Quick question. My girlfriend needs a new laptop but we're trying to stay away from Windows 8. If we buy one with Windows 8 installed, are we still eligible for the free upgrade or is that only for users of 7/8 prior to the release date of 10? I'm guessing the former, I just wanna make sure.

If you have 7 or 8 and it is before July 29 2016, you can get 10.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know of a good app that can let you read Word files (besides..you know...Word)? The normal Word app sucks at letting me enlarge text on my screen and whatnot.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/office-editing-for-docs-s/gbkeegbaiigmenfmjfclcdgdpimamgkj?hl=en

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

e: whoops

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 12, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

d0s posted:

Got my Subox, a world of difference compared to my EVOD2

But I'm using the EVOD tip because the weird barrel thing really sucks, it's ugly but works much better

What's a good US-based site to order replacement (1.5 ohm) coils from?

Have you tried the windows store?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If you have 7 or 8 and it is before July 29 2016, you can get 10.

That's what I figured. Gracias.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

d0s posted:

Got my Subox, a world of difference compared to my EVOD2

But I'm using the EVOD tip because the weird barrel thing really sucks, it's ugly but works much better

What's a good US-based site to order replacement (1.5 ohm) coils from?

Where does the SSD go?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks, but I already have this. I don't really want to go micromanaging with stuff on Drive too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
What do you mean? You just double click and it opens like any other file. If you have the default set as something else just Open With Chrome.

Or do you mean stuff on OneDrive and it not working with them or something? I've never used it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

uhh my bad thought I was posting in the ecig robocock thread

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 12, 2015

Big_Gulps_Huh
Nov 7, 2006
Where are my hooks?
So I just got a new Lenovo Y-50 with windows 8. I have an old copy of windows 7 laying around which I definitely prefer to 8, but I also have my upgrade to 10 ready to go. Should I just jump into 10 since I'm learning a new OS anyways? I'm not super tech savvy so I was planning on waiting until the kinks were worked out but I am pretty uncomfortable with W8; I feel like it's just a ton of bloatware and apps that I can't get rid of. Any advice?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know what would cause the windows 10 upgrade going from 7 to outright fail? I left the install running by itself and didn't mess with it, but after the upgrade was finished it kept coming up with this screen with a stupid sadface with a message that said something like "attempting to recover your windows installation". After trying that a few times and failing it just rolled back to my windows 7 install. The gently caress?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DemonMage posted:

What do you mean? You just double click and it opens like any other file. If you have the default set as something else just Open With Chrome.

Or do you mean stuff on OneDrive and it not working with them or something? I've never used it.

You can't actually open a Word file with Chrome, at least Chrome doesn't show up in the list...

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Does anybody know how to install security updates in Win7 without upgrading to Win10? Even with the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" optional update unchecked, installing updates displays "Downloading Windows 10". I can't currently manage an OS upgrade but the security updates out today are kind of critical.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm partial to OpenOffice's Writer, it's what I've used for years: http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html It's open source software and doesn't feel as polished as Official Word, but handles every word document I've thrown at it just fine, and is very customizable.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Does anybody know how to install security updates in Win7 without upgrading to Win10? Even with the "Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro" optional update unchecked, installing updates displays "Downloading Windows 10". I can't currently manage an OS upgrade but the security updates out today are kind of critical.
In the Windows 10 update screen, right click on these two updates (KB3021917 and KB3035583) and click "Hide"

e: actually you'll have to uninstall those two updates first, as you probably already have them installed. Go to "View Update History" then click on the "To remove and update, view Installed Updates" link on the top of the screen, which will get you to ANOTHER screen where you can select updates to uninstall. Uninstall the two listed in the screenshot above.

May need to go under "Optional Updates" and hide the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update as well. Now you can go on your merry Windows 7 way, and it should give you just the regular security updates.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 12, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm partial to OpenOffice's Writer, it's what I've used for years: http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html It's open source software and doesn't feel as polished as Official Word, but handles every word document I've thrown at it just fine, and is very customizable.

Apache OpenOffice is hardly touched anymore since The Fork; you're almost certainly better off with LibreOffice.

Also anyone who uses LibreOffice: 5.0.0 introduced stable Win64 support, though you'll have to go down the Fresh download page for it.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Aaaaand I just rolled back my tablet from 10 to 8.1. The 'tablet mode' is absolute trash. Edge has little to no concessions to tablet usage compared to IE 11: no gestures, the UI controls are hard to hit with finger taps, etc. Battery life was worse, performance was awful, really disappointing. The most annoying part was getting double notifications for Twitter, so I uninstalled the app.

For some reason, it didn't actually uninstall properly, and it left a weird entry in the Notifications panel that was Microsoft.Explorer.Notification{a GUID}. Reinstalling the app not only didn't fix it, but didn't add a Twitter entry, and somehow my Twitter app settings had persisted, leading me to believe that it didn't uninstall properly.

I could've tried a reset, but that removes the ability to rollback to 8.1, and I'm just not ready to make that leap. I'm sure my experience is not the majority's, and I've heard good things about it on the desktop, but that's my story :saddowns:

Tablet: HP Stream 7.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I've got this weird problem since I upgraded to Windows 10 from 7. When I shut down my PC, Windows seems to shut down everything nice and quickly but then the screen goes black and the PC stays on for around 5 minutes before it powers down. Restarts are fine and when I was running Windows 7 this problem wasn't there.

I tried googling to see if anyone else was having the same issue but it just leads to those dodgy SPEED UP YOUR COMPUTER sites.

Help goons :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks guys. I'll give LibreOffice a try!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Also, what person decided that tablet mode required a taskbar at all times because holy poo poo.

I get that the general public reaction to 8 was 'Too much tablet' but this is way, way too far in the other direction.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Chasiubao posted:

Also, what person decided that tablet mode required a taskbar at all times because holy poo poo.

I get that the general public reaction to 8 was 'Too much tablet' but this is way, way too far in the other direction.

You can set it to autohide but you have to swipe it up to get it to appear and there's a decent chance you'll also stretch it up in the process.

But yeah, Windows 10 is pretty terrible compared to Windows 8.1 on tablets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've got pretty used to W10's tablet mode now, all I'm missing in regards to functionality is fullscreen mode for Edge, but I have my taskbar on the left so swiping the bottom of the screen to show or hide isn't an issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm curious, how many of you having all these quirky issues did clean installs? I did on my desktop, I just went with the upgrade on the surface as there wasn't much on it anyway, and I'm still running the preview on the laptop. Aside from the 5.1 audio thing on the desktop I've had no concerns. I like it but I didn't really think 8.1 needed any upgrading, 7=Xp=garbage as far as I'm concerned.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Currently running Win7 x32
Just bought a new SSD. Want a clean install of Win 7 on that, but want to upgrade to 10 at some point in the future

So: upgrade 7 to 10 on the HDD, download ISO of 10 x64
Swap SSD for HDD, install 7.
Then at later date, can install 10 from ISO and enjoy the free license

Or, should I just bite the bullet and go for 10. Any horror stories of older software not working?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Apache OpenOffice is hardly touched anymore since The Fork; you're almost certainly better off with LibreOffice.

Also anyone who uses LibreOffice: 5.0.0 introduced stable Win64 support, though you'll have to go down the Fresh download page for it.
Oh thanks, I had no idea that had happened. I've just had the same version installed for a long time, maybe LibreOffice will fix some of the minor but weird issues that have popped up.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't get it. What's wrong with the zoom slider in the lower right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

spog posted:

Currently running Win7 x32
Just bought a new SSD. Want a clean install of Win 7 on that, but want to upgrade to 10 at some point in the future

So: upgrade 7 to 10 on the HDD, download ISO of 10 x64
Swap SSD for HDD, install 7.
Then at later date, can install 10 from ISO and enjoy the free license

Or, should I just bite the bullet and go for 10. Any horror stories of older software not working?

What edition of 7 is it? Pro can switch between 32 and 64, I don't think Home can.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm shutting down my laptop for the night, and it's decided to install 25 updates, which are taking ages. I'm using windows 7, and reserved a copy of 10 months ago, but decided to put off the actual upgrade until everything's sorted.
...it wouldn't upgrade without my permission, would it?

E. Nope, didn't.

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 12, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

What edition of 7 is it? Pro can switch between 32 and 64, I don't think Home can.

Nah, no version of Windows has ever let you switch (cross-grade?) an installation from one CPU architecture to another, in particular not x86 32 bit to x86 64 bit either. It also isn't possible to upgrade a 32 bit version of any system into a 64 bit version of some system.

However, since Vista, a license for 32 bit is also good for 64 bit, and vice versa: You can take your laptop with OEM 32 bit Windows 7, format it, and install the equivalent 64 bit edition of Windows 7 on it, using the license key on the sticker. For Windows 8 and 10 OEM it should be able to install using the key stored in firmware.

Presumably that also means that once your system has been registered for free Windows 10, you can format and install a different bitness version of the correct edition on it, and get it to activate.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get it. What's wrong with the zoom slider in the lower right?

I don't have Office 365 and I can't actually edit with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's what I was talking about. If he has Pro, he can install 64 bit and use his key.