Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Also win+x, u, u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MikusR posted:

You can try pressing alt+f4 a couple of times and then press enter. Or just press the power button on your pc. It will initiate proper shutdown.

I have a small program called Super F4 that is run at Administrator level—-I press CTRL+ALT+F4 and any program “focused, but hanging” closes. I programmed the hotkeys in-program, and mine works to kill processes even when a shutdown is hanging on a now-unclosable process. I use it in Win11, but I used it for a decade including Win7, 8, & 10, too.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also win+x, u, u

This I like the best. It didn't even ask for confirmation.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

If it is an occasional occurrence, you can right-click the input box, then select Inspect (both in Firefox and Chrome). You can then edit the live HTML and CSS directly for that element if you know what to modify.

I do not know what to modify. It's for Amazon, which I've just started to sell on, the biggest retailer on the planet with the shittiest back end. I always wondered why there are so many errors on Amazon pages and from what I can see there's no way to really manipulate the product description (which has a 3,000 character limit) outside of a tiny single-line box. Plus, there's no preview feature so you just have to make changes and wait 15 minutes for it to display on the website.

It's pretty crazy how difficult the website is to use.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sri.Theo posted:

I do not know what to modify. It's for Amazon, which I've just started to sell on, the biggest retailer on the planet with the shittiest back end. I always wondered why there are so many errors on Amazon pages and from what I can see there's no way to really manipulate the product description (which has a 3,000 character limit) outside of a tiny single-line box. Plus, there's no preview feature so you just have to make changes and wait 15 minutes for it to display on the website.

It's pretty crazy how difficult the website is to use.

For your sanity, type the description into Notepad or whatever to start with, then just copy and paste the text.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also win+x, u, u

I used this for a bit when diagnosing an issue with my video freezing up, followed by a system crash. When it didn't work quite as well (bluetooth keyboard control became unreliable), I used a shortcut to NirCmd, activated with a hotkey, to trigger a shutdown in 10 seconds.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to open a very old .sit file. It seems to be so old that Stuffit Expander for Windows won't work. This is the file in question: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2590-macintalk#d4277

Is there a way to open it in Windows, or is there someone on Mac who could open it with this and upload it somewhere for me? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unarchiver

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to open a very old .sit file. It seems to be so old that Stuffit Expander for Windows won't work. This is the file in question: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/2590-macintalk#d4277

Is there a way to open it in Windows, or is there someone on Mac who could open it with this and upload it somewhere for me? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unarchiver

You might want to ask in the Tech Relics thread, or maybe a Mac-oriented thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Nevermind I was able to install a version of Stuffit from 1999 in an emulator, then open that file in the emulator

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Phew, no need to get the old 68040 powerbook out and find a floppy.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also win+x, u, u

I like this. I've been doing 'win+r cmd shutdown -r -t 2' for like...15 years...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
slam your mouse into the bottom left corner, click, and then alt+F4, enter is my go-to.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I just hit the power button on my case, conveniently on an end table thus raising it to perfect finger height

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

NotNut posted:

Just for group knowledge, there is a tool called Universal Extractor.

https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2

The way it handles .sit is low-tech though, it embeds and executes unar which makes it seem like it's not doing anything until it suddenly completes.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I like this. I've been doing 'win+r cmd shutdown -r -t 2' for like...15 years...

Similarly I use windows button -> "shutdown -r -t 0" enter

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i just go down into the basement and flip the master switch on the breaker box

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Windows key + V is a very helpful shortcut for pasting multiple text snippets. What would be great if you could set it to paste as ‘value’ so it wouldn’t include links, bolds, italics etc.

Does anyone know if that’s possible?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Windows key + V is a very helpful shortcut for pasting multiple text snippets. What would be great if you could set it to paste as ‘value’ so it wouldn’t include links, bolds, italics etc.

Ctrl + Shift + V?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ctrl + Shift + V?

Only works if the application supports it.

The actual answer involves some explaining about how the Windows clipboard works. When you copy something to the clipboard, first of all sometimes it might not actually make a copy right then and there, but rather just set a flag on the clipboard that "I own the data on the clipboard, and can supply it on request". (It also is possible for the source application to put an actual copy of the data on the clipboard, it just isn't a requirement.) Second, is that the clipboard can actually contain multiple formats at once. MS Excel might be one of the best examples: When you copy a range of cells in Excel, it just marks those cells as "currently involved in copying", and then marks on the clipboard that it's able to supply data in Excel format, in plain text format, in RTF format, in HTML format, and as a bitmap image. When you then paste into something else, the destination application has to choose which of those formats it wants to fetch. For example, if you paste into Word it might make an embedded Excel object by default, but also let you choose to paste as a rich text table instead. If you paste into Notepad it'll paste as plain text. If you paste into a web browser on Gmail it'll paste as an HTML table. If you paste in Paint it'll paste an image of it. In each of those cases, Excel is doing the format conversion to the target format, not the receiving application.
What happens then is that some applications will understand Ctrl-Shift-V as a way to select that you want to paste the plain text format instead of whatever default preferred format the application otherwise selects.

(Hint, based on the above: Don't make screenshots of Excel sheets. Copy the cell range you want a picture of, paste into some image editor, then save the image from there. It'll generally look better, and avoid some ugliness that can come with screenshots!)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 16, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sri.Theo posted:

There is a number of third party clipboard replacements that can do this. I've never used any of them, so I don't know which are any good. It seems worth looking into if this is a significant part of your workflow.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can google this but maybe you goons have a go-to method for pinning a specific folder to the taskbar?

[edit]nevermind, you just make a shortcut and use 'explorer.exe c:\users\turd\documents' as the target, and then change the icon, then pin that shortcut

redeyes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 16, 2022

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thank you for the information about the clipboard. I’d never really thought about it in such detail.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Man with Hat posted:

This is the place to ask about weird windows 10 issues right?

My computer sometimes starts automatically scrolling through certain menus and apps as if one of the arrow keys on the keyboard is held down. Not in all apps, just in some and almost always built in stuff. Like right now if I open the start menu and type in c it immediately brings up Calculator as the first advice and then the marker goes directly to "Open" on the right. If I press the left arrow it goes left for .01 second and then back

Picture for referense.

Also, if I open the calculator right now it scrolls the selection all the way to the right. If I click on 5 with the mouse it scrolls to the right to mark subtract. Having notepad open I can do whatever I want and no arrows are "pressed".

This goes away for a while on a restart and for some insane reason it seems to go away longer if I unplug the power for a few seconds, which is also the only tip I've found while trying to google this.

Earlier it's mostly been a phantom up button, it going right now is new.

I've checked for viruses, ran antimalware stuff, restarted the computer (fixes it for a bit), restarted explorer (doesn't help at all) and probably a bunch of other things I can't remember right now. Any idea where I can start looking for the cause of this?

From way back but it seems NVIDIAs GeForce Experience was causing this somehow. I turn it off and the issue disappears. Just in case anyone runs into a similar problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I got this usb GPS receiver, VK-172 based on U-blox 7, from aliexpress when it was on sale for like $3 because why the hell not. It's recognized and some drivers are installed but then I've no idea if it's actually doing anything. I checked the Maps app and it does show my location but that could very well be from spying on my WiFi networks.

Is there some built-in or 3rd party way to see what it's actually doing, like the GPS Test app on Android? Of course I googled it but there seems to be shockingly little available

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mobby_6kl posted:

I got this usb GPS receiver, VK-172 based on U-blox 7, from aliexpress when it was on sale for like $3 because why the hell not. It's recognized and some drivers are installed but then I've no idea if it's actually doing anything. I checked the Maps app and it does show my location but that could very well be from spying on my WiFi networks.

Is there some built-in or 3rd party way to see what it's actually doing, like the GPS Test app on Android? Of course I googled it but there seems to be shockingly little available

It should appear as a serial port, and if you then open that serial port with PuTTY or something (4800bps 8N1 normally) you should receive a constant stream of data that resembles what you see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183#Sample_file

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
There is a update which is KB5021233 and is causing computers to blue screen with a 21a error code. The fix is get to a command prompt via recovery. Xcopy C:\windows\system32\drivers\hidparse.sys c:\windows\system32\hidparse.sys and let it overwrite the file. Presto!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redeyes posted:

There is a update which is KB5021233 and is causing computers to blue screen with a 21a error code. The fix is get to a command prompt via recovery. Xcopy C:\windows\system32\drivers\hidparse.sys c:\windows\system32\hidparse.sys and let it overwrite the file. Presto!

That's some good stuff right there. Happy holidays.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

That's some good stuff right there. Happy holidays.

thanks bro! I've fixed multiple computers with this stupid bug. Seems a legit fix. Happy Holidays!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

redeyes posted:

Is it exclusive to Windows 10 or is 11 affected too?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have that update installed as of 12/13 and there have been no issues for me. Also, I checked my system32 folder, and, after making all files visible, it seems I'm missing the hidparse.sys file. It's in \drivers, though. I'm running Home Edition, maybe this only affects Pro/Enterprise?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I dunno, I've setup a dozen computers this week with Windows 10 Pro, all updates applied, and no issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

more info -
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-kb5021233-causes-blue-screens-with-0xc000021a-errors/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

It should appear as a serial port, and if you then open that serial port with PuTTY or something (4800bps 8N1 normally) you should receive a constant stream of data that resembles what you see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183#Sample_file
O cool, it does work, thanks!

It couldn't actually get a fix indoors even near a window but it's now warm enough that I could stand on the terrace a bit.

Eventually I found Ubox has a piece of software called U-center which does all the decoding work. The Maps app also eventually gets the location.

(assassination coordinates removed)

E: I thought I posted this in the Windows Software thread but it it just popped up on the page lol.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can create a Haus of Tech Support thread if I need to, but has anyone ever had this happen? I am using an Xbox One controller connected via USB, and after it disconnects it causes constant downward scrolling in only some applications. All the Windows setting menus, start menu, the Windows mail program, but not anything third party like Vivaldi or Discord or LibreOffice. The only thing I've found to fix it so far is rebooting the computer.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I may be mistaken, but I think back in the day older controllers like that the problem was leaving them plugged in when you weren't using them, especially on start up.

There was some mystery weirdness in some games and the answer to fix them was don't start the computer with a controller plugged in.

Could be a bit of stick drift and windows mistaking it for a mouse, I've not heard of it doing stuff to windows itself though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Starting with Win10 controllers (well, xinput ones) can be used for the start menu and stuff and it catches everyone sometime

why did MS do this? we just don't know

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
So I finally got around to buying a hi-res 4k display, but the scaling is not so stellar on Windows 10. It's great with Brave, all its elements seem to be resized accordingly. But Libre Office and ~Windows Explorer~? Nah. I mean I get Libre, but Explorer? Why does a Windows application not scale?

Anyway, I'm asking because I was wondering if Win11 is better at doing all this.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

busalover posted:

So I finally got around to buying a hi-res 4k display, but the scaling is not so stellar on Windows 10. It's great with Brave, all its elements seem to be resized accordingly. But Libre Office and ~Windows Explorer~? Nah. I mean I get Libre, but Explorer? Why does a Windows application not scale?

Anyway, I'm asking because I was wondering if Win11 is better at doing all this.

Explorer scales. Can you post a screenshot?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pixel-peeping on that screenshot, your File Explorer window is definitely proper high-DPI. It's been rendered in the native resolution with sized-up fonts etc.