Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So what’s the trick to getting Windows 10 to stop nagging me about logging it into a Microsoft account?

In fact, any guide for how to completely disable all telemetry would be welcome. I don’t feel like giving them every click I make or every character I type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Thanks for that, that should sort me.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Klyith posted:

MS accounts:

You can't completely disable telemetry without Enterprise edition. Setting it to Basic / Required is IMO pretty unobtrusive -- you are only sending minimal hardware & device info and crash reports that are basically "butts.exe crashed at address 0x00690420". No memory content. Turn everything in Settings - Privacy off and you're good (and don't use Edge).

FYI doing this Group Policy hack did not shut up the nag screen. It popped up again today asking me to "finish setting up my computer" by logging in to a Microsoft account etc.

> navigate Group Policies -> Computer Config -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts

Maybe it's because I had set it to "Users cannot add new Microsoft accounts". I'll try setting it to the third option "Users cannot add or log in to Microsoft accounts". (My translation, I'm running a localized Windows.)

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 3, 2023

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeah once a month seems to be the interval. It's funny because the "no thanks" button is labelled "remind me again in 3 days".

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
If you try to install an OS on a PC with broken RAM, you're going to have a bad time. The new install, or the restored backup, or whatever, will likely be corrupted even worse by your bad RAM chip, because all the processing of the backup happens via RAM. Solve your problems in the correct order or suffer the consequences.