Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

cat doter posted:

So I've had windows 10 installed on my system for about half an hour now, and why does some of the font rendering look like garbage? I mean, some of it looks fine, then I go into device manager and UGH what the gently caress, it's a blurry mess.

Because it IS a blurry mess. Because you have scaling over 100% and some windows get rendered at 100% and stretched.

You probably don't use Device Manager enough for it to be a dealbreaker, but yeah how the hell did they not catch that.

But you're right how the hell did they not update the Management Console to be scale-aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm partial to OpenOffice's Writer, it's what I've used for years: http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html It's open source software and doesn't feel as polished as Official Word, but handles every word document I've thrown at it just fine, and is very customizable.

Apache OpenOffice is hardly touched anymore since The Fork; you're almost certainly better off with LibreOffice.

Also anyone who uses LibreOffice: 5.0.0 introduced stable Win64 support, though you'll have to go down the Fresh download page for it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Acid Reflux posted:

Just as an item of interest, the new Win 10 Dell desktop machine I bought to run my CNC router table doesn't even have a Windows key sticker on the case.

EFI allows license keys to be stored in firmware and - in the rare event you'd have to install from media - drop right into the product key line. License labels are superfluous.

For the record, Windows 7 wasn't actually all that EFI-compliant; it just happened to work with it sort of (it had to boot compatibility-mode even with true EFI video cards, for example).

In fact, I'm a little surprised Microsoft hasn't shoved a media retrieval tool into the firmware itself yet.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Factor Mystic posted:

What a weird thing to say.

Were you using any extensions in IE? Most people who use IE were not using Adblock's IE plugin, or intentionally using any other plugin I suspect. So restated, you're saying "huh, they built this new default browser which has some neat features and is noticeably faster than the old default browser but didn't ship with a replacement for barely used functionality... why the heck did they bother making it at all?? What were they thinking????" How about because it has some neat features? How about because it's noticeably faster? Why did the release have to be gated on MORE stuff?

Not to mention can update it more frequently now that they've changed release models and won't be locked into the requirements of ancient legacy compatibility.

Tracking Protection Lists do most of what an ad blocker can do - the major deficiency was they couldn't do jack vs. YouTube ads. There is no good substitute for those in Edge yet, and I'm wondering if that isn't by design. (Also I was under the impression that AdBlock for IE had been broken for yonks.)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ryguy005 posted:

I'm having problems with software I downloaded. It's saying that it's blocked software and won't install. Is there a work around? Thanks.

SmartScreen hides the 'run anyway' option behind 'more information'.

Sometimes it takes a day or three for it to figure out that some obscure/OSS thing is legit.

Sometimes the administrator (corporate IT, your partner at their place, etc) has the only authority to go ahead with running the file.

But sometimes when it tells you that gently caress your download it's right.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

d0s posted:

Trying to install my Samsung scanner software and getting this error

I'm getting it from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCX-4100#manualsDownloads

[EDIT: Also I guess this addresses Ryguy005's issue.]

Ooo, that's a rare dialog box.

Upon further review: The certificate the installer was signed with was explicitly revoked (File Properties > Digital Signatures > Details). I don't know if Microsoft broke its certificate database (happened before) or whoever countersigned the publisher's certificate Blew It™ (could happen if someone did bad things under cover of that CA) or what.

Yeah, Admin Prompt/Powershell is a pretty reliable way to do a thing, but whatever happened happened either on the publisher's watch or Microsoft's and definitely wasn't supposed to.

v v v I get the same dialog he got with that file in my Windows 10 Pro environment on that setting.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 17, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Neowyrm posted:

Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? My notifications bar is really widely spaced. I mean it's not really technically affecting anything, but it is annoying me.

Is that a touchscreen?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

KillHour posted:

I use InputMapper, and it works great.

Why are you using a driver with ads.

Especially why are you using a driver with ads after MotionInJoy.

No it's not the only thing fit for purpose, because DS4Windows exists, but if it was I really would tell you not to use a DS4 with Windows.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I'm guessing at this point I'm going to have to just buy goddamn Windows 10

No you aren't and I don't even know why you'd say this.

Use the Media Creation Tool on a working Windows computer to make a 64-bit install image (it should be able to do this even on a 32-bit computer now, but no promises). Then install it like you did Windows 7 or 8, skip any key prompts, and it should activate as soon as it sees Internet because you activated that hardware before. Arguably this isn't a bad idea immediately after activating the upgrade the first time just to clear out any weird inheritance from 7 that even a reset doesn't always get rid of.

Considering you were already willing to sacrifice your Windows environment you should have backed things up already and you don't get to complain about having to wipe your drive.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 1, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I misunderstood the way the licensing worked with the Win10 upgrade, some of what I read implied that a fresh install would require a key, either they were wrong or I misread. I'll give this a try.

There was an incredible amount of confusion about the licensing terms of the free Windows 10 upgrade (as in it literally defied credibility). But experimentation has determined that a fresh install on something that had done the upgrade should reliably give you an activated Windows 10 environment. What happens after the year is anyone's guess, but there's not a lot of reason to turn off that re-activation method even if Microsoft stops licensing fresh free upgrades that way.

quote:

All of my personal files are backed up, but I didn't have a backup of my Win7 install, I had got rid of it since the first day or two Win10 seemed to be working fine, then in went to poo poo after one of the updates. Yes I know, bad idea, but it was taking up a big portion of my small SSD and it didn't seem like it was needed anymore.

Even then you'd want a system image of it on your backup drive (Windows native, Macrium Reflect, whatever) to save space. And I don't know about anyone else but I would really rather not go back to 7 or 8.1 at this point. There's nothing wrong with 7 (8.1 still doesn't let you set a third-party handler for ZIP files, and I don't know why) but a lot has been done to improve Windows' internal infrastructure in the six years separating 7 from 10 and it shows.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

If it's anything like it was originally stated back when Windows Activation first became a thing, activation device matching draws heavily from motherboard and first network adapter signatures. Given that ethernet's been integrated on most motherboards for a while, at least in the XP days that made the motherboard able to make or break the hardware signature all on its own, and as sophisticated as I'm sure it's gotten since then I wouldn't be surprised if it's fundamentally still pretty similar.

Lum posted:

Yes it does.

If it's 7zip, you need to run 7zip file manager manually as admin, then change the option as 7zip doesn't bother to elevate when you try to change this.

Try it. 7 yes. 10 yes. 8.1 doesn't even recognize that you can change the program associated with the ZIP format in particular and even when setting directly in elevated 7-zip Windows always clawed the association back to Windows File Explorer somehow.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 1, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Well, at least in this case a totally new MB and processor (with the ethernet integrated) didn't trip the license activation. No idea why, but I'm not complaining. We'll see when I get home whether the fresh install from the Media Creation Tool usb wants a key or not.

It'll ask for one, again in out-of-box if you skip it in setup, but you should be able to skip both and have it work. It worked for me that way on every computer I have, at least.

If it doesn't, try doing a from-media upgrade within Windows 7, freshly-activated with your old 7 key, no Windows Updates needed. They might have changed things after they started putting Windows DVD Player in upgrades from 8/.1 ProWMC and 7. No it doesn't destroy your Windows 7 license; it just works like the old upgrades where you can't run both the old and new OS simultaneously without breaking the license (dual-boot is fine (I'd recommend separate physical drives if you must do this), one being a VM inside the other isn't) and it eats the rollback data after a month to save space but you can activate 7 again later if you have a reason to.

Truga posted:

My 8.1 opens files with 7z normally, both at home, and on the computers we have at work. They are all Pro editions, though. Do you have the Home edition? Maybe someone with a home version chime in.

Other than that, I have no idea what could the issue be. Possibly broken registry.

All the other file formats 7-zip handles were fine. It was just .zip, and it was on Professional.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 1, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Irritated Goat posted:

Think it was just your box. I ran 7-Zip and never once had an issue. :shrug:

I was just talking about file associations (as in 'I told Windows nine times to use 7-zip for zip files but it still opens them in Explorer'), by the way. Of course opening zip files if you're already in 7-zip or use Open With is going to go flawlessly.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what's up with this? I did some Googling and it looks like it's some problem with how Windows updated...but I can't find any fixes that's not "unplug all the drives, reinstall Windows".

That's because the fix is to unplug all the drives and reinstall Windows. Unless you want to lose access to Windows if your platter drive ever kicks it (and that's sort of what platter drives do, so...)

Or, you know, figure out which port on your motherboard is actually the first SATA port Windows will look at (not necessarily the port the motherboard's screenprinting says it is) and plugging the drive you want Windows on into it.

And still unplug all other drives and reinstall Windows. Unless you want to build the recovery/system/EFI protective partition on the SSD by yourself...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Volcott posted:

How do I get Windows 10 to stop offering me an Office 365 trial?

Uninstall "Get Office".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ModeSix posted:

Login with your Microsoft account?

This has literally nothing to do with licensing the free upgrade from 7/8.1.

TheAsterite posted:

I did the whole upgrade process on my Win 7 install, and it put the upgraded OS onto my HDD. I bought a new SSD and did a fresh install of Win 10 on that, but windows is saying to activate. When I go to settings to activate, however, it just says that the product key doesn't work. I still have Win 10 on the old HDD, but the HDD isn't plugged in. Is there anything special I need to do on the old drive to deactivate or transfer the license?

Did you put in a license key at any point?

If you did, you shouldn't have, and it's basically impossible to take out at that point. Try re-installing Windows 10 without entering a license key at any point; the licensing service should get the info associated with your hardware hash from Microsoft's licensing servers and assign it the correct edition and keys.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ModeSix posted:

Wasn't sure, I upgraded then did a wipe and clean install, thought it might be tied to the Microsoft account.

At least for me it worked with a local-only account. v:shobon:v

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

TheAsterite posted:

Nope, I never had to put in a license key. But right now I'm guessing the activation is still on the old HDD? Maybe their servers see 2 different activations?

Edit: I don't want to wipe the old HDD yet until I have this situated out, or I know that a wipe will fix the issue.

That... SHOULDN'T cause a problem but it might be.

If you installed on the HDD before they started handing out Windows DVD player to Media Center havers they may have changed licensing somehow. You may have to install Windows 7 then free upgrade on the SSD as though you had never done it on the HDD. You can do this through the Media Creation Tool (make an ISO anyway) so you don't actually need to do six years of Windows Updates.

On the other hand that should work pretty reliably (and should allow a from-nothing install from an ISO or USB install image, but do a Macrium Reflect or something of the new SSD Windows 10 beforehand anyway) so you may as well.

Edit: Actually, before you do that, if you used an MSDN ISO before (I won't ask), try a Media Creation Tool image before trying the free upgrade cycle again.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 8, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

The free upgrade is done within an activated Windows 7/8.1 environment.

Windows 8.1 should install okay against the firmware license key, but you'll need an MSDN ISO for it because Windows 8.1's media creation tool won't let you download against an OEM key. Google its SHA1 or something MS doesn't really care as long as it's not someone handing out pirate keys or hacks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

wookieepelt posted:

Is there a reason to use ad blockers from a security standpoint? I know that a lot of sites only function because of ad revenue, and I haven't used an ad blocker because of that. I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, just curious as to why ad blockers seem to be such a big deal that people don't use Edge because of the lack of ad blocking.

Flash and JavaScript ads are pretty much the way people get infected with bitcoin miners or CryptoLocker, or get social-engineered by Robert Hackerman at the Office of Password Management or by people saying iPhone Antivirus is out of date or oh no someone's planted Bad poo poo on your computer hit this to get rid of it or whatever. No one seems interested in cleaning up the ads, not even actual you'd-think-they-do-due-diligence ad services like from Google or Microsoft.

You can drop Flash without much effect these days, aside from unfortunate things like your local jury duty's online orientation only using flash videos, LA COUNTY COURT (unless you play Facebook games or something, in which case you idiot) but thanks to HTML5 and web apps becoming a thing dropping JavaScript pretty much costs you the Web so you need something else to intercept the ads.

Hence ad-block.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Marinmo posted:

Does anyone else's start menu just stop working at seemingly random times? Happened a few times to me by now; pressing win or using the mouse to press it renders nothing, it's as if it wasn't there. Solved by restarting afaik, didn't try to log out/in yet.

Edit: logging out/in fixes it too.

The Start Menu's no more special than any other universal app; it just happens to link to the start button on your desktop/tablet/keyboard.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I'm thinking of going for the upgrade, and maybe doing a clean install as well.

My motherboard does not have a Windows 10 drivers section. What do I actually need from this: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO/HelpDesk_Download/

And would the Win8.1 drivers work?

Note that if, for some reason, you want to do your driver updates manually (in case MS botched a driver or something*) the old "go directly to Intel/Realtek" trick works.

*The Synaptics drivers from Microsoft are meant expressly for the HP Spectre line, because that's what Microsoft used to promote Windows 10 instead of the Surface line for some reason. They still do dumb poo poo like put the tray icon back at restart even if you explicitly tell it not to, which HP's version of the Synaptics driver doesn't do. And turning 'show all tray icons' off is akin to putting your eye out.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hadlock posted:

Lol yeah definitely waiting until early next year to upgrade my primary desktop/laptops to Win10.

That's preview version problems, though. Happens sometimes when you run a preview OS on a computer you actually do stuff with.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

pwnyXpress posted:

So using Chrome on Windows 10 I seem to get an issue where after a while the Shockwave Flash plugin stops responding and will refuse to work until I reboot the entire computer, not just the browser or plugin. Any thoughts?

That's a feature. :v:

In "even terrible things should work as advertised" terms, Flash for Chrome doesn't work like Flash for other browsers does, because Chromium made their own plugin interface (Pepper) to replace NPAPI and then Google and Adobe worked out ways to break out of the API just for Flash, which is all kind of adorable as no one else makes Pepper plugins anyway.

In practical terms, Flash for Chrome probably just didn't close out right when Chrome did. I don't think it actually gets a process labeled Flash in any way, so actually exit Chrome (hamburger > Exit or Ctrl+Shift+Q), wait a few seconds, and then kill any remaining Chrome tasks maybe. Also are you sure you actually closed Chrome the last few times this has happened?, because if you have background apps for it it keeps running even with no windows open.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Chrome still disables GPU rasterization categorically, not because Google thinks there's anything wrong with it anymore, but because :effort:. You can switch it on manually in chrome://flags.

You can also switch it back off that way if if it turns out anything is wrong with it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I just realized something:

What the hell ever happened to OneGet?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Win10 tablet/hybrid machines being sold with only 2GB RAM, such as the Asus Transformer Book series.

Am I right in thinking that Win10 with only 2gb is going to be utter poo poo and I should be looking at 4gb minimum?

Maybe not, but it's an easy way to make using a Windows machine an utter nightmare over a long enough timeframe.

They're doing that because Windows licenses cost less on 2 GB machines. I suspect that loophole was made to drive manufacturers to make more Windows 10 tablets, but Microsoft hosed up by allowing for it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ijyt posted:

loving Windows 10 Pro keeps enabling US Keyboards while I'm using UK English and it's infuriating. I've already tried the dumb "enable US to disable it" trick that shouldn't even be required and it keeps coming back.

I'm not sure if it's too late for me to revert to W7 now.

Worst happens you can just, you know, reinstall Windows 7. All 10 does is clear out the old environment after 30 days to save space.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

I've noticed that when I wake up my laptop, some windows that were maximized become un-maximized. How can I start tracking down what's causing this? It isn't happening on my desktop, so maybe it's something with the Intel integrated graphics?

Display probably got logically disconnected - think DisplayPort turnoff.

Everything reverts to 1024x768 in a situation like that because of course it does.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Indeed it does sound right.

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool (will only work and may only download in Windows) to generate a current-patch-level install medium, or download the RTM ISO direct from Microsoft (will work from any OS but may only download from not-Windows without a product key).

For the MCT output or the ISO you want just "Windows 10" - it works with both Home and Pro - and always ALWAYS go 64-bit. And by always I mean a computer old enough or simple enough that it can't run 64-bit Windows 10 probably shouldn't be running any Windows newer than 7 - or maybe not running Windows at all. Microsoft probably shouldn't have released 32-bit Windows 10, but gently caress the future because we gotta build market share!

Twibbit posted:

It is because the site needs a plugin and they have not enabled Edge to use plugins yet

The entire purpose of Edge is to not expose a plugin API. Extensions are a different beast and they probably made an exclusive hook for Flash Player (that they probably shouldn't have, but gently caress the future because we gotta build market share!).

They'll have to come up with an HTML5 method for getting manual Windows Updates. Or they simply won't, and will bury it in enterprise land somewhere.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 25, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

I disagree. Win10 runs so much better on poo poo hardware than Win7 ever did. Its hardware requirements are what Vista's should have been on launch day.

You would install a 32-bit Windows to a physical computer, even once, while not under duress, in 2015?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 25, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

I was thinking of those 2GB RAM tablets that are becoming increasingly common. Possibly even HTPCs.

That's the fault of Microsoft OEM licensing terms. In a just world those things wouldn't exist and my opinion from last page stands.

I wouldn't be surprised if they underperform an AMD POS netbook I bought in a fit of bad decisions a few years ago whose battery is dead and whose fan prays for it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

shadow puppet of a posted:

I got booted out of the Insider program and lost my free Windows 10 license for something as minor as a simple motherboard, CPU and ram change. I mean, the keyboard, mouse and several fans are all the same. What gives MS?

At present all free upgrades are OEM upgrades regardless of your previous license. ^ ^ ^ There is talk of accepting old Windows keys in future builds but I don't think anything's born it out yet.

Also Ultimate upgrades to Pro (there hasn't been an Ultimate edition since 7), but yes you can go direct from 7.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

terre packet posted:

Is there a way to tell my monitor to go to sleep immediately in Windows 10?

Not that I've found, but locking your session cuts the monitor timeout to something like one minute as long as it's normally not "never".

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

install.wim or .esd is the part of a Windows Vista-or-later install image that holds Windows.

Do you have any way to verify that image?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1) You want as few drivers as you can get away with before you install 10.

For that matter, once you do the upgrade the first time (activated and online before you start, and either Windows Update or upgrading within Windows from whatever the Media Creation Tool spits out) and it registers as activated in 10, you're clear to wipe the disk down to zero and reinstall by booting off your install medium.

If you're okay with a clean install.

2) I haven't had any significant issues with Windows 10, other than:

If you use DS4Windows you have to exit Explorer to turn on Exclusive Mode (Xinput-only mode) for it to work. You can use its Exclusive Mode button OR ctrl+shift+right-click on the taskbar to get an 'exit Explorer' option that ends explorer.exe gracefully. ... That second part is probably useful in a lot more places than just a PS4 controller app.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

Is there a good option to open JPGs? paint.net takes forever (like, multiple seconds!) to load and the photos app is terrible.

IrfanView hasn't really ever stopped being the 'swiss army knife' of Windows image viewing. (Now in 64-bit!)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Sheep posted:

Anyone have any idea when he ISO download tool will start pulling the new image that lets you just plug in your 7/8 key to install?

Downloaders within Windows build their USB/ISO/whatever through the Media Creation Tool; they'll get it when the Windows Update ESD or whatever hits.

Downloaders outside of Windows download an ISO directly; they'll get it when it hits MSDN.

There's no declared timeframe but you can rest assured Microsoft will let you know when it happens.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

No, but I do have a USB mouse on a monitor hub and a PS/2 keyboard (hey, the keyboard and mainboard both support it, so why not) and the same problem as they have.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Melmac posted:

Well that's the thing. From what I can see, the hardware isn't benefitting from the 64-bit OS because of its permanent 2GB of RAM. Unless I am daft on the subject.

Rest assured, you are.

Many CPU operations are length-agnostic - that is, the CPU can do as many of them in a given span of time whether the data is 32- or 64-bit - so running in 64-bit mode is twice as fast. This includes de/compression and de/encryption, both of which are things that come up on the Internet occasionally.

Also 64-bit architectures have better security management, code rigor enforcement, etc.

Melmac posted:

what sevenforums said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

She just said it's a local account, and given her experience it's safe to assume she'd have said if there was a Microsoft account ever involved. I'd be equal and massive parts impressed and terrified if you could fix that through the Microsoft Account devices page.

Lum posted:

So how do I fix this on my Win10 Pro laptop, not phone, not RT, local account only:

This is a surprisingly hard issue to google.

The only thing I could find that isn't for phones or a link to a bullshit forums harvester site is an unsupported claim on HP Support that it's a TPM panic. Edit: It IS consistent with the recent spate of Windows 10 phone preview security panics, so I'm guessing it's a Windows 10 common trunk security gently caress-up.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2016