Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CountingCrows posted:

I plugged in my usb flash drive and when I went to eject it to remove it I noticed I had the option to eject my main HDD and my SSD that's running Windows... What happens when I inevitably accidentally eject one of those?

System drives will fail the eject because they're being accessed kind of a lot (as you'd expect for the OS data store), but if there's nothing on the platters that the system actually expects to have access to right now it might just quietly unmount and not even have issues. The more frustrating part is it wouldn't work until detached and reattached, which would be kind of a pain since it's inside the case.

Solution: Turn off hotplug for those ports in motherboard firmware. Or for all internal SATA ports, if they can't be set individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Password login works, but pin causes this error and fingerprint fails silently. Presumably because of its dependency on the pin login.

Wouldn't normally be bothered, but I kinda like using the fingerprint reader for UAC prompts as it's located between the buttons on the touchpad, so nice for when mousing around.

Do I need to wipe the TPM then? TPMs are one area I don't have experience with. Windows 10 is starting to make me feel old. Is this what it's like for users all the time?

I don't know if it's actually a TPM issue (one anecdote is probably not a good argument for that, and I actually feel kind of bad for not clearing that up from go), and it's probably deeper than that in a 'does Microsoft even know what they're doing with alternative login' sense, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen if there's no hardware security store. Then again I only use a local account with a traditional password and no TPM even present.

I don't know what would happen if you cycled or disabled the TPM, but I would make a point of refreshing my backups before trying.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 2, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also if you try to download from Not Windows it'll just give you an ISO installer.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Lum posted:

Oh lovely. The December Intel graphics drivers still cause bluescreens if you have hardware acceleration enabled in firefox.

Bluescreenview gives me this. Not sure how useful it is.

The failure is cited as part of a system component rather than a driver component (not authoritative without debug tools, but worth noting) and the current patch level is 10586.36 while that environment claims to be at .17.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

Does anyone whether during activation check ups (every 90/180 days or some poo poo?) the client and server exchange and verify information about when the last check happened?

I'm asking because in regards to virtualization, I want to run an installation, update it as far as it goes, then freeze it in a snapshot and derive further VMs from said snapshot. The question is, say if I create VM 1 to run Steam in and VM 2 for whatever else, but use only VM 1 for months while mothballing VM 2. Now, if a few activation refreshes in, I unpack VM 2 and fire it up, and start changing between the two (only one would run at a time), do I have to expect drama?

--edit: Or am I mistaken and activation only runs once during the system lifetime?

You may be better off just using two virtual disks and switching between them in the same VM.

Do you know how to set up direct GPU access for your VM? If not, or if your system doesn't allow for it, what makes you think your games will work with virtual guest GPU drivers?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

Woooo, the insider builds. Assuming there'd be anyone serious about using Edge, he'd have to wait for the Redstone release to get this fixed? Which is what, a couple of months away?

Mid-year, I think?

They need to have extensions ready to go by then or no one will care.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Also yeah they need to stop naming all their poo poo after their shattered gaming dreams.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

What dsss said, they still get paid by the OEMs for windows. So never.

Also if they were legit worried about losing market share they could probably literally make it free (with Microsoft account) forever "pick up disks for all your friends" for home users to preserve small business and enterprise market share through familiarity. Pro would obviously still cost money.

Until companies realize they don't actually go much beyond the bounds of Google Apps or Zoho or web b2b financial/marketing service of the week except on the back-end (which isn't Windows-dependent nearly as often as you'd think).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 12, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

This was never the plan. The only thing that's free is upgrading from 7 or 8, and that's only free until next August, and it's only free to upgrade to the matching version (if you want to go Win 7/8 Home to 10 Pro you need to pay). The boxed retail copies cost money, the upgrades at stores cost money, and the OEMs have been paying license fees to have it as well.

Also lol "will they have the market power", like what do you think is going to happen? Apple finally breaks the 15% OS share barrier for the first time since the Mac came out? (they're currently around 6%) Linux actually takes off with non-nerds?

Hypothetical? The general public settles for iPads and Chromebooks (and similars/successors) because they largely don't care about what general-purpose computing offers.

At that point Microsoft might make Windows straight cash free for home users partly in a vain hope to drive paying traffic to their app store but mostly because they don't want people demanding to work from iPads and Chromebooks at work. OEMs on the other hand might still have to pay - slightly less because of negotiation leverage - but they will because the general public mostly isn't going to buy (or if they're really cheap, will buy and then promptly return the everloving poo poo out of) computers with no OS, or the kind of setup Windows involves (not much by our standards bu~~~~~t), or 'that weird thing with the ripoff interface and the occasional penguin'.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Boris Galerkin posted:

Selecting the empty drive does not let me click format, only "new" which creates the 4 partitions (and then clicking next gives the error and creates additional partitions).

Shift+F10 brings up the command prompt in Windows PE. You can run diskpart from here. Since you can blow away an entire drive's contents unrecoverably, you may want to disconnect anything that isn't the drive you want to install Windows on.

list disk tells you what drives are in your computer. list can also take partition and volume as targets, and you can guess why those are useful.

select disk # will point you at whatever that numbered drive is. Same extra utility with partition and volume.

You'll probably have to clean the drive to get it to take something akin to the proper partition structure again. This involves blowing away the old partition table. Now you see why you don't want other drives in your system. Also make sure you haven't selected your Windows installer or installing Windows will get a lot more tedious. Afterward convert gpt to make sure (unless you're doing Boot Camp which emulates BIOS+MBR, or your motherboard doesn't do UEFI).

If it still gives you a hassle on the partition page, you may have to make the Windows partition structure manually (BIOS+MBR equivalent). Namely, the MSR partition should always be 128 MB for Windowsy reasons. Also you don't need to label the partitions like the samples do; they'll get default labels from installing Windows.

I tend to make the PE and bootloader partitions oversized (1535+384) partly to ensure that they never get too full for, say, Defragment & Optimize to work with and partly because, with the empty megabyte Windows always leaves to start a disk (and the short megabyte on the PE partition), C:\ itself starts at exactly 2 binary gigabytes (which is mostly only useful for old/cheap/OEM SSDs with old/cheap/OEM erase block layouts, so you may not need to, but on the other hand if you're actually hurting for that lost gigabyte or so you're in trouble anyway).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 16, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Boris Galerkin posted:

Rufus doesn't seem to work under wine.

I just did this and just allocated the rest of the hard drive to be the Windows partition and the installer complained about to being able to create or locate a partition for Windows.

Oh.

Are you sure you're booting the EFI version of Windows setup, not the BIOS version?

A lot of motherboards won't boot EFI unless they're booting from a FAT32 volume (and you may still have to force EFI boot) - at which point the actual bootcode on the partition doesn't matter.

Seriously, try formatting your USB installer FAT32, do literally nothing else to it, then just copy the Windows 10 install image's entire file tree over. It should only boot EFI then. If that doesn't work try flipping the partition's active flag. If that doesn't work how many years behind current is your motherboard firmware. If that still doesn't work you might be screwed (read: stuck with BIOS+MBR (read: screwed)).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 16, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Hadlock posted:

steam v1.0.0.5 is the latest version available based on your source(s).

Chocolatey uses defaults. Steam by default installs to Program Files.

If you install Steam in Program Files, that's the only place (absent Steam Mover bullshit) you can install games on your system drive (which is presumably your only SSD, which matters for some games now), and being in Program Files is a good way to break games because games do dumb poo poo like take their mods or even save to their operating directory and this doesn't play well with the program file protection imposed on Program Files.

Don't install Steam in Program Files.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Okay, go try setting up a library on the same drive Steam's installed on.

I'll wait.

"why would I want to do that :smug:": You'd do it to avoid Program Files madness, if you can't spare 90 seconds to install Steam through its actual installer, to somewhere sane, like I just suggested. (And if you can't spare that 90 seconds, once in any given Windows environment - which should last for however long it is between Windows upgrades at least - how do you even have time for video games.)

"that's not how windows works :byodood:": Game programmers are notoriously bad at actually adhering to standards. You can get all granular about it for whatever system development rigor you're championing this week, or you can put Steam somewhere else, once, and not have to worry about it again. I'm not suggesting any other programs be installed outside of Program Files.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 20, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

nielsm posted:

No really, that makes no sense.

Also never had any issues with Steam being in Program Files.

Oh, well then of course it-

nielsm posted:

Though probably because of these permissions set up by Steam's installer. Yes arguably a bad idea, but really no more or less secure than having it anywhere else.

:ughh:

I'm legitimately surprised Microsoft hasn't talked to Valve about this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Just in case anyone else is affected, one of the latest updates broke VirtualBox and all VMs fail when you try to start them.

VirtualBox pointedly doesn't care about WebGL in Linux guest environments (or their emulation of 3D acceleration is irreparably broken but they aren't able/willing to commit to making it work so they bluster about how '3D acceleration' 'works'), so it's hard for me to care that their dumb software is broken.

Or they think it's fine because WebGL works in Windows (I don't know if WebGL works in Windows guest environments in VirtualBox), which would probably make me less sympathetic than I currently am.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

AlexDeGruven posted:

So here's a fun thing.

Windows 10's disk cleanup is stupid and doesn't work for poo poo.

I kept getting low disk space alerts for my SSD (which is 256GB; not huge, but not tiny), calling out many many gigglebites of "Temporary Files" with no other description. Clicking the handy Clean Up Files button did gently caress-all, and using the Windows disk cleanup utility was similarly useful (read: not at all).

Saw a MS forum post about using CCleaner (which I hadn't installed in quite some time on this system), and that worked a treat. Dumped 185GB of poo poo, and now I'm where I want to be.

Did you notice what the files were or what put them there?

Does CCleaner even tell you what the files were?

If this happens again, figure out exactly what is spewing dozens of gigabytes of files onto your drive, because that isn't normal behavior for anything Microsoft and odds are good some third party thing is ruining things.

Or your computer has Three Stooges syndrome and Event Viewer can't keep up or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

I once saw razer's lovely software generate and not clean up ~10gb of temp files before

They tried to DRM a mouse. I wouldn't trust Razer with a decorative pipe cleaner.

On the other hand, the attitude of people that would rather find a 'make it go away' button than learn how to operate and care for their things, especially things as powerful and as familiar with them as a general-purpose personal computer, frustrates the ever-loving Hell out of me.

I only don't believe in requiring accreditation to operate a general-purpose computer in this world because in this world it'd be corrupted and compromised in every way possible and locked up so it couldn't be used to punch upward anymore, and without a sea change in human nature that situation isn't likely to improve.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

It's always been Microsoft's operating system. It has been for 30 years. All that's different now is that you can't ignore that anymore.

What driver?

Jamesman posted:

I've been postponing upgrading to Windows 10. I downloaded it and have just been ignoring and closing the "Upgrade today!" messages until I feel comfortable with making the switch.

Now the loving thing is trying to force me. Got window that popped up now that said my system would upgrade and restart within the hour if I didn't reschedule or cancel to install, which is very upsetting for me since I leave my computer on and unattended on most days.

Windows 10 go away. :(

Quit lying to yourself; you'll never feel comfortable making the switch.

Now that you've rung the bell, you have three options:

1) Stop treating Windows 10 like a storybook monster, get familiarized with what's going to change, and commit. In my experience acclimation is everything.

2) Same as 1), but get ready to abort instead of commit. 'Rung the bell' is not an idle metaphor; it'll probably continue to shove Windows 10 at you for the life of your Windows environment because it's probably changed Windows Update to suit it in an irreversible manner - and that means reinstalling Windows, possibly from zero drive, and everything that entails. Keep in mind that Windows 7 will take most of the day to update from an SP1 ISO (and good luck installing if all you have is USB 3.0 ports; Windows 7 Setup can't see itself on the outside end of one) - you MIGHT be able to cut some of this time with the MSIs of whichever updates bring in the new certificate security protocols (I don't know them off the top of my head) but it might be a matter of parsing the update database and comparing it to your system state requiring n log n or n2 time or something, in which case only manually loading the updates will help (which will take about as long, and you can't check in on it after shopping or at half-time or whatever). Windows 8.1, if you're on it now, is less bad about this - for now - but also has most of the disadvantages Windows 10 accrued since 7 with few of the advantages.

And then you have to watch the updates and the update action preference like a hawk. For the rest of your time on old Windows. And not forget to update. And not get all grizzled about it like the Windows XP diaspora.

3) Switch to a non-Windows operating system. If you need to run things that only run on Windows, you're in trouble. If you aren't willing to learn Linux or can't afford a Mac, you're in trouble (and if you are willing to learn Linux you might still be in trouble because pretty much every Linux distribution has gone it own personal brand of insane).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 10, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Jamesman posted:

I had gotten into the queue to download Windows 10 when it was announced, and I assumed I would have the files and be free to install it on my own time when I was ready to once I had the information I needed (knew it was stable and secure, knew the interface was user-friendly, knew my programs would be compatible, etc). I didn't realize what I was going to get was indefinite, increasingly intrusive notices to install that are now trying to force me to upgrade when my guard is down. :/

I wouldn't treat Windows 10 like a monster if it hadn't constantly been presented to me like a looming, growing threat.

Y'ever look for it?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Can't? If it's software you only have one license for this is literally what trials are for. If it's desktop hardware stuff or software without trials, someone crazier than you is trying and will go off about it on social media. Also VirtualBox may be kinda crap compared to other VM engines but is still good enough for software testing, and dual-booting is a thing.

Or, you know, ask people in the forums thread for that sort of question (you're posting in it :ssh:)

As a rule, if it worked anywhere between Vista and 8.1 it'll work in 10. If you think it might be an exception, again, Google will find out for you.

As for phone-home stuff, good news: it all got backported to 7 and 8.1, where you can't even exert what control 10 offers you. Unless you want to do the 'watch updates like a hawk' thing.

Geemer posted:

On two of my computers I've actually gone into the GWX app and canceled my reserved copy. One before it was available to download and one three weeks ago.

Both have simply not bothered me about upgrading again, so far. Save for a rare instance of Microsoft unhiding the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows Update.

That was actually a reissue, but I don't remember if it was for Wave 2 or compatibility.

Like a hawk.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

'Defer upgrades' only counts for new builds, not patches. It's basically 'defer service pack' for the 'now instead of service packs you just in-place upgrade Windows' generation.

They don't let you just wait forever to reboot because of users who will literally put off the reboot forever (or at least until something else forces a reboot or the system loses power) because not even God knows what reason, usually nothing good. Something like 80% of the problems introduced in Windows since the start of Windows 8 planning stem from the fact that users suck BUT all the stuff they've built up over decades is based in the most general-purpose-computing-only parts of a general-purpose operating system and without that general-purpose operating system Microsoft would have nothing to sell. The other 20% come from Microsoft thinking they would have something to sell without one.

For the record, I'm still militantly pro-general-purpose-computing because, despite all the problems with it, a world where it was restricted from the public (even if only constructively so because who sells computer parts or even remotely open computers in a world where only custom ROMs and Linuxes ever get installed aftermarket) would make the balance of power in the world even more lopsided, possibly irreparably so, in favor of the people already at the top.

I don't know what you mean by 'a bunch of stuff'.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 10, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ciaphas posted:

I want to take the 'nuke it from orbit and start over' approach to some Windows problems I've been having. I think they're bad drivers/software rather than Windows itself but I've run out of patience trying to untangle the two.

If I choose to use the Reset PC stuff (wherever that is, I'm not at home, I forget if it's an F8 thing or what), does that require a Win10 disk or USB key? If I choose to wipe out all mystuff in the reset process, does that make it effectively equal to a complete format and reinstall?

Worth a shot but I don't know if it'll fix your driver matters so make an install stick anyway.

Also if it IS driver matters, note that, say, nVidia leaves gigs of old drivers around both in Program Files and System32/DriverStore unless you do a clean install - and if you do a clean install with an internet connection active Windows will see a GPU with no driver and grab it from Windows Update so unplug/airplane first.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ciaphas posted:

I got Win10 on free upgrade from 8.1 (itself a Win7 upgrade key) and I've looong lost track of that license key, will either Repair or Reset require me to have it? If so I'd have to buy a new copy of Win10. Not the worst thing in the world I guess, but still.

Nope! Tell the installer you don't have a key (if it even asks) and it'll reactivate against your hardware profile.

quote:

While on the subject, is there a 'canonical' way to get a Win10 ISO and get it onto a USB key? I find that every time I have to do this the process or software used to get it bootable on the key (BIOS, UEFI, boot method, whatever) or download method is sliiightly different.

Yup! In Windows, download and use the Media Creation Tool. Out of Windows, just get the ISO.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Twibbit posted:

security update for flash apparently.

Flash updates through Windows Update don't (or at least shouldn't and usually don't) require a reboot to install. If you restarted and it was on the slate it'll take the opportunity to update then, although it still shouldn't take that long.

Microsoft added Flash Player into the OS from Windows 8 so Metro IE wouldn't break a Web that was as of 2012 still like half Flash and still claim to avoid add-ons.

And they haven't removed it because Flash-based enterprise and Facebook poo poo is going to be around for probably another decade, and users aren't generally competent enough to blame their vendors or Facebook (EDIT: and shouldn't have to be wise enough to pester Adobe to set out an End of Life plan for Flash Player, but Adobe really really really needs to do this), and Microsoft doesn't want to deal with their harassment.

Death is too good for Flash Player.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 13, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

uhhhhh. What?
Bold your words, italic my add.

I agree people should be upgraded, but there should also be a single switch built into windows that a user can flip to say "gently caress YOU MICROSOFT LEAVE ME ON 7" that it actually respects and then stops bugging the user to upgrade for more than a day.

We saw how long people clung to Windows XP. Windows not-10 is about as close to a public health hazard as something that's purely electronic and not outgassing caustics or something can get.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 17, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Whizbang posted:

Skyrim runs better on Win 7 than 10 because of some dumb poo poo Microsoft did to old DirectX versions but that's the only thing I've heard about.

Skyrim is a pile of farm twine and duct tape disguised as code shoved out by notoriously rigorous* game** developer*** Bethesda Softworks. You probably shouldn't be using it to judge how well Windows does a thing.

That's like me saying Saints Row 2 is a good basis to slag Windows 7 for its CPU timing bug. It's true (and it only affects SR2 in 7 - Vista/8/10 are all good) but there's enough other problems with the game that I'd have to be stupid to build an argument off of it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 17, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Knifegrab posted:

So I plan on upgrading to windows 10, I have windows 7 so my understanding is that the upgrade is free, but is there any easy way to do a full clean install?

Yes, actually. You can get pretty close to a zero-drive install just by resetting your PC in Settings > Update > Recovery (have backups oh god).

If you've already upgraded to Windows 10 on that machine, you can do a zero-drive install, tell it what edition of Windows 10 (Core (no suffix) or Pro) you upgraded to, and NOT give it a key, and it'll pull down your hardware's license info from Microsoft's servers and activate that way.

Also a Windows 10 disk made since November (a new set including all the February updates went out on March 4) can take retail keys directly and pull OEM keys from firmware (I don't know if it works with Windows 7 OEM keys) and install the appropriate edition of Windows 10 from that. Not so much VLK or MAK (think pre-DreamSpark MSDNAA) keys.

Note that if you had or wanted to put Windows 7/8.1/10 Pro on a computer with a home/core license (or vice versa though I can't imagine why), it'll pull the home license from firmware unless you tell Windows with a {install-media}\sources\ei.cfg file to install Pro, and it won't activate this way unless you already activated a previous Windows 10 Pro environment with its hardware profile or use a valid Pro key (that still probably can't be VLK or MAK).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 28, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How do you know the images were updated on 4th March?

Media Creation Tool's images are updated when the MSDN/TechBench/other-OS Windows 10 install images are. Actually it's from February according to the internals but it went up on the 4th.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Nostratic posted:

So... Will I kill my 6-7 year old PC if I upgrade from win8 to 10? It's got an i5 cpu and an ATI 7600 graphics card.

As long as your hardware isn't broken Windows 10 will probably run on anything that could run 7 properly.

I had an E6300 with mismatched RAM on an nForce (!) motherboard with an nVidia GTX 260 (and admittedly a year-old Antec Neo Eco 520C). Had to roll the SATA controller back to generic so TRIM could work, but nForce SATA controllers have that problem on every version of Windows. Otherwise fine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno, are they? I'd rather not have any of the Ubuntu stuff installed by default if I'm not going to need it.

Also is it just bash now or is it possible to use something good like zsh instead?

As far as anyone's determined you'll use bash and (tolerate) it. Also it's, you know, Ubuntu.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ghostlight posted:

GeForce drivers have been pretty hosed since March across every Windows.

Oh goody; Kepler owners are starting to get The Fermi Experience.

I wonder how NV is going to ruin gaming in the GPGPU world to keep people from using GeForce cards as Quadros.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I actually hope the free optional update ends after a year because it becomes a free mandatory update. With a variance for enterprises to start stomping on vendor junk (in the figurative lawyers in conference rooms sense, hopefully not literally) if they try to use it as an extortion opportunity.

With SCADA and smart medicine and smart everything else the Internet has become too legitimately serious business to let Windows XP happen again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Space Cadet posted:

Because I did not want to do it until I had time to do it properly and actually had a desire to make the change.

What conditions would qualify, to your satisfaction, as "time to do it properly" and "a desire to make the change"?

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments. They're a company that sells a product to end users. MasterLock doesn't get to decide to change your locks because they decide they're not secure enough. Pillsbury doesn't switch the cookie dough in your fridge for a flavor they think you should be eating instead. Being a software company doesn't change this principle. The consumer decides how to use your product, and if they get hurt by misusing it then that's their problem. It doesn't matter if some people have insecure systems, the company doesn't get to override their choice. That's the job of a government, not a corporation.

What do the words 'social contract' mean to you? Just curious.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Node posted:

This long derail kinda got my previous question lost in the middle of it. How can I import Outlook's email history from Windows 7 (on another drive) to Windows 10's default email program?

I can, and probably will, change to a different email program but for now I'm just going to stick with this fancy thing that is stock Windows 10 software.

If it's IMAP you don't have to because it's stored serverside. If it's POP3 as far as I know you can't.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

HalloKitty posted:

Nah, I'm certain the main reason is to expose people to their new revenue stream; the Windows store.

I don't think even Microsoft believes the Windows Store is nearly a profit center right now.

... Then again they're still under the delusion that "a million apps" matters, especially when 99.someodd% of apps are somewhere between worthless and malicious, when they should know that competing on quantity is dumb as hell.

Imagine an app store that actually curated their apps, and not in the 'a person looked at (rubber-stamped) it what more do you want' sense. Maybe MS should try that. Really they have to already because Xbox, so it's more an expansion of existing protocols than an invention of new ones.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Apr 17, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Khablam posted:

I'm going to agree to disagree on this. Windows 7 has all the same hallmarks as XP as an OS that will go completely EOL with people still clammering to stay on it. Just look at the complete outrage here, and elsewhere, about MS offering them a free upgrade.
Couple the usual inertia to self-proclaimed experts and bloggers writing their 'why 7 is my OS forever <3' pieces and you have the complete recipe for it. You even have the same usual suspects of scaremongers with an audience warning their audience against it and writing lovely tools to prevent updates (comically doesn't disable backported telemetry it claims is the reason to stop the update).

Do you think 10 would have better adoption than 8/8.1 if it wasn't being pushed this hard?

Don't forget the part where tens of millions of computers (depending on which survey you pull up on Google, possibly a hundred million!) are still running XP. Even the most optimistic estimates, which show XP being about as used as Linux, still represent enough computers to DDoS actual important parts of the Internet. This IS Mad Max, and not the fun Thunderdome or movie Fury Road but the terminal-biosphere-decline despair-is-rational video game Fury Road.

And the same driver issues, where poor-faith vendors are refusing to upgrade their existing five-six-figure CNC/medical/research equipment past 7 same as they did with XP to force new sales (speaking of climate and scarcity issues) and OEMs telling people not to upgrade usually because of something like being too lazy to support the new OS or knowing they screwed up bad when they picked parts for their big box specials.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

xamphear posted:

Has Microsoft said anything about System Restore?

On a clean install of Win10 build 10240, it's disabled. So I turned it back on. Then I upgraded to 14393 and it was turned off again. My boot drive is a 120gb SSD, with plenty of free space, but maybe it's defaulting to disabled for "small" drives or SSDs or something?

This is exactly what's going on, and it is based on size. Also you couldn't system restore to a previous build even if you did have enough storage space for system restore to be default-on.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

They figure the system can't afford to devote space to System Restore, especially if they're installing things like desktop software or desktop games instead of just stuff from the Windows Store. Keep in mind that Windows (or at least the Store side of it) doesn't really expect a computer to have multiple user-accessible storage volumes inside the computer - not that it comes up much outside of tower computers and stuff, but still.

xamphear posted:

Yeah, I know you can't roll back to a previous OS install's restore points. It doesn't just remove the previous restore points, it disables the feature completely. But you're saying it's based on OS drive size? What's the minimum size for it to default to enabled? Do you happen to know, or does Microsoft have the number documented somewhere?

All I have observed is that it's off by default on my computers with 128 GB SSDs and on by default on my computers with 256 GB SSDs. If the line is at 128 GiB exactly then most 160 GB drives should be over the line unless they aggressively over-provision and every 128 GB drive would be well under the bar. I personally have no idea where the line should be but the next power-of-2 down is 64 GiB which is probably way too close a cut.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Quick question: Did any 1507 build before 10240 or any 1511 build before 10586 get a patch that took it above its initial patch level?

EDITED to reflect that 1507 started at 10240.16384, not .0.

EDITED AGAIN because never mind other 1607 builds have before today.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

On the same note, if I want an early upgrade, what's the best way? Enable the insider Fast ring, let it update and disable it again?

Insider Release Preview ring, if you want to jump the gun but don't want beta risk. Insider Slow if you want it today (still probably 6 to 12 hours away depending on when they add something to Windows update next); I don't know if anything is going to hit Fast alone at this point but I doubt it.