Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

c0burn posted:

Do I need to give a poo poo about retpoline on an AMD Ryzen 1300x?

You can just wait until 19H1; it's a performance thing, just a faster way to do a Spectre mitigation that - if you have updated firmware - is already covering your system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

c0burn posted:

Thanks for your help. I think I wasn't clear though. Does the performance improvement apply to my CPU?

The registry edit floating around on the Forums and the greater Internet applies to anything recent. While Skylake and up on the Intel side can't use retpoline, they still benefit from import optimization, covered by the same edit.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

MagusDraco posted:

They were specifically asking about their AMD cpu though, a Ryzen 1300x I believe, and if retpoline would help with performance on it. AMD CPUs are also affected by the specter and meltdown mitigation stuff?

By recent, I mean like Sandy Bridge or Construction cores. Anything that actually got patched up for Meltdown or Spectre. Yes. The 1300X qualifies.