Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey guys, posted this in the 10 preview thread, but didn't get anywhere with it.

The Start Menu is managed using a service, with a database and poo poo. That database has been notoriously lovely for me, with fun issues like permanently becoming unable to detect start menu changes, even after a reboot.

The database is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\TileDataLayer\Database. The services using that database are "Tile Data model server" and "State Repository Service". They're constantly using the database, so there's no way to delete or rename it while it's in use. You can seemingly stop the services using services.msc, but they start right back up (within a second) and then refuse to be stopped again. They can be killed by using the task manager, look for appmodel under Windows processes. But, again, they'll start right back up.

Try this first, though it seems like killing the processes is still necessary.

If you're lucky, you might be able to kill the processes, rename or delete the database folder before Windows starts it back up. If you're unlucky, you might need to create a second user with Administrative rights and kill the services before deleting the database from your main user. It seems as though it doesn't hold on to the database of non-running users.

Anyway, with that done, the start menu went back to semi-normal. It still has hiccups where it stops refreshing certain apps or folders until a reboot, but at least it doesn't stop working permanently.

Cojawfee posted:

Now to just get it to actually search my installed programs so I can launch them like in 7.

It does. The old Start Menu location gets scanned normally, though it won't show more than one folder deep in the new "All Apps" section. I decided to go through and remove most of the subfolders, that gives a nice flat hierarchy.

But guess what! There's also a bug with the start menu that prevents it from displaying more than 512 entries.

Run Powershell and paste "Get-StartApps | measure". If that gives you more than 512 entries, enjoy cleaning up all those uninstallers, URL shortcuts and help files! If not, just nuke the tile database as described above.

p.s.: posting this from Safe Mode, which required booting from a recovery disc to enable, because some genius at Microsoft decided that modern systems boot too fast for the F8 key to be worthwhile! All of this because loving windows update installed a cumulative update and then failed to boot back to desktop! I love Windows 10!
:thumbsup:

Jan fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Windows 7: 6 years without reinstalling.

Windows 10: 6 days before reinstalling.

:negative:

edit: Reset done, "A fatal error has occcured. We'll restart for you." Then back to the black screen.

edit 2: Who would have thought! Running DDU and wiping AMD drivers has not only fixed the black screen, but now it boots in under 10 seconds again, instead of hanging on a black screen for a minute before showing the login screen!

Now to see whether this is just another instance of AMD confusing a bowel movement with a driver release, or if it's a hardware failure that conveniently occurred 24 hours after installing new drivers.

edit 3: Installing AMD display driver... Screen flickers... To black.

Welp, Radeon HD7850, you had a good run. :smithicide:

edit 4: Took GPU #2 into slot #1, and everything is back to normal... Including the slow boot. Here's hoping it really was an ill timed coincidence and not a card-frying driver. I'd rather this little trooper of a computer last me until I replace it with Skylake. And now I'll stop making GBS threads up the Windows 10 thread with what turned out to be a hardware issue.

Jan fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 13, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Antioch posted:

so far the only thing I'm not a fan of is the All Apps Start Menu. I don't like the big letters in between each category, and the entries just seem too big. Plus I can't figure out how to delete right from the Start Menu to clear out things I don't need in All Apps, like links to help files or whatever.

Right click, Open file location, that'll get you in the Start Menu folder and you can just clean house as normal. Again, note that since the start menu is a fancy overkill database, it won't refresh instantly. If you have my luck, it might have decided to stop refreshing altogether and you'll then need to wipe the database and start over as outlined earlier.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

poo poo.

Thanks for this, but it hasn't helped. In fact, things are kinda worse. All my Start Menu folders and live tiles are gone now :(

Ah, I should've mentioned that it's a destructive process. :(

I had to run the PowerShell command to get universal apps to show again, even Settings was gone.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Mine does the same thing. It won't find my programs. I was going to do something mentioned earlier but someone said it deletes all the folders in the start menu.

You lose your tiles, not your folders. It wouldn't be a very handy start menu fix if it deleted the entire start menu, yeah?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

when I click to expand it all the silly ancillary things barf forth with the rest of the icons, things that I would normally keep confined to their specific subfolders that in Win7 were nicely kept below the main launching icons of the rest of the folder.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb that they're limiting subfolder depth to one level. Since I never use all those extra start menu shortcuts ("Visit MyDumbCompany's Website!"), I ended up deleting the whole thing and adapting to the flat start menu list. It's actually kind of nice that way, but I wish there was a way to show folders in their own group, rather than alongside the alphabetical order.

But then, I wish I had more control over a lot of the things in Windows 10.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

it's something so simple that I feel like it should be a quick resolution.

There's no resolution possible if the code simply doesn't work.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I'm wondering if there's some sort of RAM compression, forced paging or other memory management scheme going on behind the scenes? Basically, whenever I'm working on our game, which involves Visual Studio and a good ~4GB average footprint from Unreal Engine 4, I'll often have Chrome tabs go inactive, resulting in a full refresh whenever I'd open them. This isn't exactly convenient when it decides to deactivate my Spotify or Google Music tab. It's not exclusive to Chrome either, when I reached near max usage once, I actually looked at UE4Editor's working memory set get instantly pushed down to 1GB (with a corresponding decrease in responsiveness) before steadily working its way back up.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Ah, thanks. Now that you mention it, it was System that was growing quickly, not UE4. Back when this happened, I'd tried searching for "Windows 10 RAM compression", but all I could find was a reddit thread that was adamant that MS wouldn't use memory compression because it's inefficient. I wonder if there's a way to disable this? I certainly don't care for the current implementation which knocks out tabs and Visual Studio nilly willy.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

This is only on in the recent insider previews. If you're not running the insider previews then that isn't your problem.

Well, I don't see what else could be causing programs to suddenly experience a drastic decrease in working set memory while System's skyrockets. I don't think it's new to an insider preview and they only chose to mention it just now, possibly accompanying some actual improvements to that functionality in said insider preview.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Decompressing in-memory is really fast, and the compression should only kick in when you're somewhat low on ram. I'd be surprised if that's the problem, rather than a driver hogging your memory. Have you checked if there's any page file access while things come back?

"Somewhat low on RAM", as in a game engine editor taking up 3-4GB, running alongside Visual Studio compiling a hot reload and a handful of Chrome tabs? Yeah, I'm absolutely low on RAM. Hot reloading is in UE4 has been a pathological memory case before switching to Windows 10 and I definitely ran out of RAM on my poor old 8GB workstation.

I'm extremely skeptical that it's a driver issue because the timing fits perfectly -- System memory goes up, UE4Editor/Chrome/etc. memory goes down. I could always snoop around with WDK a bit to be sure but yeah.

I have no doubts that the RAM compression/decompression is fast, what bothers me is that it's not transparent (Chrome tabs deloading).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

...and did you hide the update afterwards?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I only feel that when you drag a window to the side it tries to be a little too clever. I almost never get what I want: a window that only fits half of my screen (and even if I do it requires one additional click to confirm). In any way it's not important.

Just use Win+Left/Right arrow keys. Using the mouse to snap windows? :psyduck:

e: vvvvvvv
Yeah, I know Aero Snap is a thing, I just meant that it's faster to use the keyboard shortcuts for it. Not to mention it's finnicky as hell to aero snap on a multiple monitor setup -- currently at work where Windows 7 doesn't even allow it but IIRC, Windows 10 added a small margin where it occurs?

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 10, 2015

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

So, two things:

1. The memory compression thing has in fact been live since RTM was pushed out. It's definitely what's happening.
2. My issue with Chrome tabs going inactive seems to be a tangentially related feature of Chrome where it automatically discards backgrounded tabs when memory usage grows. I'm willing to bet Chrome doesn't take into account the compression store memory and just starts killing off tabs left and right despite that memory being "available". That issue page has a command line option to disable auto discard, so I did.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Huh, I'd never seen that discarding behavior, interesting idea but sounds like it needs work.

It's only been in beta and dev builds. It was only in the dev build for a while, and people started flagging it more once it recently got pushed to beta, so apparently they've turned it back off to rework it a bit.

Dylan16807 posted:

But if anything the compression should delay the point where memory looks full, right? Unless chrome is calculating memory use in an extremely wrong way.

Well, I don't know what API Chrome uses to get available memory, but the discarding behaviour rarely even occurred in Windows 7. Something about Windows 10 is making it more finnicky and it always triggers as soon as I spend the 3-5GB to launch the UE4 editor. Maybe it's using just available physical memory in 10 but it included pagefile memory in 7.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Isn't it possible to get the Windows 10 key from an activated upgrade using ProduKey and phone activate directly using that?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

It's like OEM keys, only worse. :cripes:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

..btt posted:

Unless your internet connection is faster than your hard drive you probably shouldn't be downloading linux ISOs to your SSD - it's likely to put a great deal of wear on it moving very large files on and off constantly for no appreciable benefit.

Write endurance isn't anything to worry about for normal usage.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

I hide it repeatedly and still keeps coming back almost each time I run update.

You'd think they'd take the loving hint. :shepicide:

This is my work computer, assholes. Stop hassling me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Riso posted:

FYI optional updates are not automatically installed.

Yeah. But that update is "special" and shows up as a full size "Upgrade to Windows 10 now" that takes over the regular update installation section. You have to click some "Show All Updates" link to bypass it, so I might as well click "Hide this crap" while I'm ahead.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Speaking of Windows Update, it stubbornly refused to apply a cumulative update. I ran sfc /scannow, it restored the Start Menu shortcuts I'd reorganized and then the update could install.

Start Menu shortcuts.

:negative:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Duo posted:

Do you know if it is the KB3097617 update? I've been trying to get it to install and it just won't. Everytime I boot it will say it couldn't complete the update and it reverts changes. It will boot fine afterwards but just repeat the same process next time. I tried manually installing it with a setup file from MS and it didn't work either. Also tried the sfc /scannow before doing that and it found nothing. Anyone have any ideas? :(

Yeah, it was. But it wasn't failing at reboot, it was failing before that...

I did get a previous update that failed at reboot, but I think that was before I did a System Restore thinking my dying GPU was a software issue.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

xamphear posted:

Service packs just install some new files into your current OS installation. An upgrade moves your C:\Windows folder to C:\Windows.old and sets up an entirely new OS install. That's what this November update does. It's identical to the process of going from 7 to 8, or 8 to 10. Absolutely identical.

See, it's "Windows" vs "Windows.old", it's just semantics! :pseudo:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I heard on this thread about how major updates ("service packs") are actually installed by a full system reinstall, with a new Windows folder. I always figured I'd get one of those sooner or later, but it's been a while since I last saw it mentioned and it never happened to me. I do get regular Windows Updates regularly, but I'm wondering if I'm somehow out of date? Can I check build version without being on Insider builds?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

fishmech posted:

Simply open the command prompt:

Oh, derp.

I'm on 10.0.10240. Apparently this is what Defer Upgrades does, rather than let you choose when to install updates as I'd previously read. Guess I'll untick that option whenever I have the time to deal with this.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Out of nowhere, I booted my Win 10 computer and some processes never started/worked properly. (Task Manager wouldn't show, Chrome failed to load pages, Windows Defender wouldn't open.) All of these worked in Safe Mode. I tried SFC /scannow, MalwareBytes, reinstalled some drivers, to no avail. So I just shrugged and did a Windows Reset, which was fairly painless last time I did it.

Except this time, it decided to nuke my Program Files folder along with Windows proper. I've been reinstalling what few programs I have that live there, but I'm not sure what changed since the last reset I did? Did I overlook an option beyond "Keep my files" in the reset screen?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

OEM keys are not unique -- they are issued for certain computer manufacturers (i.e.: Dell) and are hardcoded to query system information to make sure they are being installed on that manufacturer's hardware. They are not meant to be installed on any computer as retail keys do.

Go break some kneecaps.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is somewhat accurate for Vista and Windows 7, for keys you'd recover with software from an existing install. Never for the stickers though and the system works totally differently since Windows 8 anyway.

Ah, my mistake. I was basing myself on my experience setting up Win7 workstations around the office -- an OEM sticker key from a retired workstation refused to work on new one that had a different motherboard vendor, and a cursory search pointed to the OEM key being the cause.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Now that I have a new NVMe SSD and brand new system, I'm finally taking the plunge and doing a proper UEFI system install. Except... Everywhere I'm reading says Microsoft's media creation tool creates BIOS/MBR bootable media instead of UEFI? Considering this is just the bootable media, does it actually matter? It seems to me like the installer should be able to just format the new boot drive as GPT and create the UEFI partitions regardless of what it booted on... Unless it's a limitation of UEFI booting in legacy mode that I'm not aware of.

Not that using rufus to create a bootable USB drive is especially hard, I'm just wondering if Microsoft would really just disregard this functionality with their media creation tool.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Khablam posted:

[now defunct] Windows USB/DVD Download Tool

Yeah, that's what the guides I was looking into seemed to be using. I guess those are the results show up when googling "Windows 10 UEFI" because you don't actually need to specifically do anything to target UEFI now.

This does look marvelously simplified from the early days of Windows 10 -- just create media USB, enter Windows 7 key, done. :science:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

SinineSiil posted:

What's the advantage of using tools to make Windows install USB drives? I have just copy pasted everything to freshly formatted drive since Win7.

You kind of need something to boot from and make the initial Windows install to that freshly formatted drive.

Unless you mean literally copying an existing Windows directory (:psyduck:), in which case the advantage is that it's not a bad idea to start from a fresh Windows install from time to time?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Well, if your BIOS allows disabling MBR booting, then that effectively forces a UEFI install, which is what I ended up doing. It took me a bit of faffing around to enable Legacy USB so it'd boot off the USB key, but once that was done, everything went smoothly. I am now in the process of uninstalling all the crud that comes with a fresh Windows 10 install. :shepicide:

Thank gently caress this old MSDNAA Windows 7 license was for Windows 7 Professional, I don't know how I'd live without gpedit.

That said, I could swear I had it setup before so my user folder Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc. were pointing to a different drive without having to do a symlink/junction. Using the "move" option actually moves the directory, leaving nothing behind in the user folder. Does that sound right?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

New Win 10 Home system.

Problem: Entire system freezes up if the system idle timer turns off the monitor. I've set 'hard drive shutoff' off in the power options to disabled but it's still happening. Where else should I look?

Are you sure it's the monitor and not sleep? Sleep issues are far more common than display issues.

Eletriarnation posted:

Yes. I did it two days ago with a Windows 7 OEM key because my retail 7 ISO wouldn't install using it, but 10 was perfectly happy to take it and activate.

Windows 10's installer wouldn't accept my Windows 7 retail key, but I was able to install without a key and then reactivate through my previously activated Microsoft account. Of course, this only applies for a reinstall, but I wouldn't be surprised if I could've just entered the retail key post-install to activate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The name of the option is "Defer Upgrades", not "Stay in the stone age until Windows XP costs hundreds of thousands in engineering salaries to support Upgrades". MS isn't going to repeat that mistake, so sooner or later it does actually perform the upgrade regardless of if you want to or not. This is what happened in your case.

I do wish the upgrade process wasn't so disruptive, but it currently is essentially a Windows refresh so that's how it goes. I use defer upgrades, and simply choose a time when I'm willing to put up with the overhead of the upgrade. This time around, I did set up a powershell script to automate removing the Windows Apps I don't use and disable the group policies for Cortana, Windows Consumer Experience, etc. which I'll get to test next time it happens.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Does the anniversary update contain security patches that somehow couldn't have been implemented otherwise?

No, but their approach seems to be to stop pushing security updates to previous releases once the "deferred" branch gets pushed. Although I am skeptical that they fully stop since they do have to support the long term/enterprise branch too.

Not sure why Defer Upgrades would be greyed out on Pro, you might want to fix that if you want more control over these.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

PirateBob posted:

Is there a way to shut down a task when it has frozen and made the screen black (a game)? When I do ctrl-alt-del and try to bring up the task manager, it is hidden behind the blackness. Right-click-close doesn't work on the task bar. Right now it seems the quickest solution is to ctrl-alt-del and log off... any alternatives?

Don't play games in exclusive fullscreen, use windowed fullscreen.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

I just helped my dad set up a new laptop, and I was surprised at how snappy Edge was -- I actually used it for more than just getting Chrome. I'm basically just waiting for 1password support, which apparently needs API changes, and then I might give it a honest go.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

the most popular webcam model in the world

Microsoft has introduced support for iPhones? :confuoot:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/windows-10-anniversary-update-breaks-most-webcams/

No, but they broke support for Logitech C920, the most popular USB webcam, great work from the insider crew, you get what you pay for in this case I guess.

Joking aside, yeah, that's pretty egregious. Glad my camera is too poo poo to capture 1080p. :v:

On Windows 10 and SSD booting super fast: Whenever I boot, there seems to be a short delay before network gets set up, and in that time Windows decides it couldn't reconnect my mapped network shares. I get this notification every time:

I'm not using Windows 8 fast boot, since there really is no point (Samsung 960 EVO boots in 10 seconds flat :stonk:). Is there some sort of group policy or something I could enable to force network shares to wait for a valid connection, or some such?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Waiting for network icon to be ready: Completely defeats the purpose of booting fast? :shrug:

"Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" policy: No go. Sounded promising but it probably doesn't do poo poo if you don't have domain controlled login.

Fixed IP: Partially fixed. I don't think this matters if the delay is from initializing the network interface rather than obtaining a DHCP lease. But that put me on the right track -- so I looked at the driver instead.

Fixed Driver Link Speed: Intel's driver, by default, waits for the link to establish and then determines what speed to use. In my case, since I know it's always going to be connected to a 100 Mbps network, I just turned off auto-negotiation and forced it to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. I also set Wait for Link to Off in the advanced settings.

With those settings, the network icon was instantly ready during logon screen and I could just login right away.

Hooray for fixing minor daily annoyances. :toot:

e: vvvv

Oh, for sure, this is a personal computer fix, not a domain fix. Although if you have standardized workstations and imaging, I suppose it'd be possible to include whatever driver settings are necessary in the original image.

Jan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2017