Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How good is Windows 10 at synchronizing other services? I always kept my "Google poo poo" and my "Microsoft poo poo" separate. I like to have my contacts, email, calendar, and other such things with Google because I use an Android phone and like to have easy access to that when I'm not in front of a computer and I figured it would be kind of silly to have more than one collection of contacts. At the same time I would like my PC to be able to access those things upfront without having to use a web browser, but it seems up until now I never really had that option(?). Mail and Calendar seem to communicate with it just fine. It even correctly imported my Gmail labels! Though I'm a bit disappointed in Mail because it doesn't seem to have a lot of features (such as "unread first" :argh:).

I also loathe Google Docs and prefer to use Office for literally everything Office does and last I remember the OneDrive (then SkyDrive) Android app was absolute trash a few years ago and I could never retrieve my files from it.

I'd love to consolidate everything because I really hate being dependent on two separate services like this, and always have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

isndl posted:

I've been in a similar situation but unless something's changed recently and I hadn't heard about it, Google contacts and calendar events still do not sync properly with other services. Google has no interest in compatibility as far as I've seen, and even their little syncing app for desktop Outlook seems to be deprecated.

Well that's fantastic :buddy:!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lum posted:

The build in mail and calendar apps in Win10 seem to play nice with Google for me, even Lightning for Thunderbird isn't too bad, apart from one really irritating bug.

isndl posted:

The Win10 ones may have improvements to make them work, I haven't tried those yet. The Win8 calendar definitely didn't, the mail app did but had some weird quirks that I can't remember off the top of my head.

Two-way synchronization seems to work fine after fiddling with it a bit. I kind of like the Calendar app, but Mail is kind of a pain to use right now because I'm too hooked on Gmail's layout.

How is (Android) phone syncronization via the Phone Companion for photos and other files? I'd be okay with something like that working because I really loving hate Google+ and photos and all of Google's other awful :airquote:social networking:airquote: services.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

dissss posted:

Photos has been separated from G+ now.

You know I knew about that for a long time but only now just noticed the Photos folder in Drive :sweatdrop:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

When running 8.1 my computer used to lock the screen after sleeping and that seems to be gone in 10. Where can I find that option?

Also anyone know if Secunia PSI still works? I had it for a while but it kept complaining about updates that are normally handled by Windows Update, but apparently Windows is entirely up to date according to the OS.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz posted:

When running 8.1 my computer used to lock the screen after sleeping and that seems to be gone in 10. Where can I find that option?

Any ideas?

Another problem (this time a bug, presumably): I can't seem to make Windows 10 pick a folder for the wallpaper slideshow. I'm able to browse to it, but selecting it doesn't do anything. The folder isn't actually added to the list and it doesn't read any images from it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

icesoldier posted:

I had the same issue, only when I set the wallpaper folder to what I wanted it to be, it changed it directly to My Pictures rather than keeping what it was already reading from (namely, the folder I was trying to select).

Yeah, that's actually what's happening to me too.

icesoldier posted:

The only way I could set it back was to find the Personalize menu from the desktop (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was essentially the theme picker screen from Win7) and picking an old theme I had previously saved that already had the wallpapers folder properly set.

Unfortunately, that isn't available to me :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ghostlight posted:

I had the same issue and solved it in the most Windows 10 manner possible.

Run "control.exe /NAME Microsoft.Personalization /PAGE pageWallpaper" and you'll get the old Desktop Background settings dialogue.

:allears: Worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

E: looks like the answer to my lock screen question was actually in the power options :ughh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 17, 2015

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Optimus is working fine for me without any problems now and it worked fine on 8.1 as well. I'm using Lemovo's drivers rather than Nvidia's, but it hasn't given me any reason to change that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

FYI, if your Windows Store gets stuck and errors out with "Our server stumbled" (or some poo poo) on and on, it's probably because some updates have been queued up and Windows didn't get around installing them yet. But instead of telling you something specific, it's the usual Microsoft manner and you get served with a lovely HRESULT instead of a cleartext clue.

Good to know. So far the first and only thing I tried installing from the Store gave me a "Well this is embarrassing!" error without any context or explanation.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SinineSiil posted:

Optimus works fine for some people? I have to manually set every third game to run on proper GPU instead of integrated one with that super slow Nvidia control panel. (how can it be so slow?)

Mine is pretty good at auto-selecting the core for certain applications. I think the only exception was Age of Empires II HD. As for the control panel itself... yeah, it does need a bit of work. Mine opens pretty quickly but I have a SSD and also don't keep a huge library of games installed at once.

The one game Optimus seems to poo poo itself over for me is TrackMania United Forever. Can't get the game looking good worth a drat because it thinks I only have like 48MB of video memory.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Is Secunia PSI busted in Windows 10 or is it just my machine? It can't seem to detect secure versions/updates of existing programs, resulting in it never performing any updates (because it doesn't know anything is actually out of date).

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sometimes my taskbar gets stretched a few pixels too long and extends offscreen to the right. Why on earth is this happening? It doesn't happen to the desktop at all, just the taskbar :psyduck:. Futzing with the display in some way, like flipping it upside down and back again or changing the resolution, fixes it. It's a laptop screen and I'm using Nvidia Optimus drivers. I can't seem to pinpoint any cause. I just look down sometimes and notice it.

Note that these two images are from the exact same area on my screen (i.e. the bottom-right corner is the bottom-rightmost pixel):

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

frogbert posted:

Dumb question but you don't have two slightly different images in the same folder that your desktop is rotating through do you?

No, I use this app that sets my background to the Bing image, which changes every day. The image for both clips are the same background.

I'm probably not explaining it clearly, but those two screenshots are of the exact same portion of my screen and there actually is no more to be seen beyond the right edge of the first shot. The right edge of both images is the 1920th vertical line.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

frogbert posted:

I realise this was posted ages ago but I've just had this exact thing happen to a Windows 10 Pro VM. So it's likely not your laptop or video card drivers.

That's good to know. I guess it's just one of those wrinkles that'll be ironed out eventually. Still kind of annoying though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how do i get rid of this auto-flight-awway mode thing. i'm using a desktop.

Yeah, it's definitely not something that comes with Windows normally. Clicking on the Action Center (the speech bubble icon) will bring up all of those controls and more!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 because I haven't done so since upgrading from 8.1. I had this problem before and I can't remember how I fixed it. When I pop up the input switcher (Win+space) I have three options: English (US), Swedish (Sweden), and English (Canada). I only want the list to show the US English and Swedish options, because the Canadian input option is useless to me.

My Region & Language settings are:

And only US and Swedish are available if I go to the input settings on the control panel:

so I have no idea why the Canadian input is showing up. Is it because I have my region set to Canada in the Region & Language settings? I'm pretty sure I fixed this without changing that :confused:

It's not hugely important I guess, just a nuisance. I just like hitting Win+space to quickly swap between two input methods and I don't really like having to cycle through three of them.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Iron Rose posted:

How's optimus on windows 10 these days?

The display driver? I've had literally zero problems with it on my ThinkPad T540p from the start. I've heard complaints coming from other users here, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Did you notice what the files were or what put them there?

Does CCleaner even tell you what the files were?

If this happens again, figure out exactly what is spewing dozens of gigabytes of files onto your drive, because that isn't normal behavior for anything Microsoft and odds are good some third party thing is ruining things.

Or your computer has Three Stooges syndrome and Event Viewer can't keep up or something.

This is what I was thinking. How the hell did they end up with over 180GB of temp files :psyduck: