Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh god, my mom upgraded to windows 10 because it asked her to. "Why can't I log in to my Facebook or email? Where did all my passwords go?" Whhhhhhyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is she now using Edge instead of whatever browser she used before the upgrade?

She tried using edge, yes. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with her webmail thing. :psyduck: She used IE before, which seems to be gone in windows 10. I got her back into her email so she'd calm down about everything being gone. Then a few minutes later she told me she'd figured out how to roll back to windows 7 on her own.

Everything has been quiet for a while, so I guess it's going well. Or she's left the house on a murder spree. Either way, op success.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm still using the insider preview because I'm an idiot. I built a new computer in June and keep putting off buying a license until next month. Usually the only bad thing is occasionally moving my taskbar from the side to the bottom, and swapping the @ and " keys for no apparent reason, neither of which has been a big deal.

Last night it updated to build 10532 and things have gotten very odd. The taskbar moved to the bottom and turned black. My wallpaper disappeared and was replaced by the glowy blue window thing. The worst part is the Start, Search, and Task view icons do nothing. They highlight when I mouse over them, but refuse to accept clicks. Pressing the windows key on my keyboard does nothing too.

I read that the start menu going AWOL was a common problem so I tried logging out and back in. Tried restarting. Tried turning off my computer for 10 minutes and then restarting.

Weird, but I'd usually just wait it out until the next update. Except when I try to start Archeage (a bad game) the Antimalware Service Executable goes nuts and takes my hard disk to 99%. The game never completely launches. I can kill the process for the game in the taskmanager, but that doesn't stop the madness. With the hard drive running at 99% the computer is pretty much useless, and the only way I've found to stop it is to reboot. The advice on the archeage forums is to give glyph and archeage an exemption in the anti-virus so it won't go nuts over this sketchy rear end game. Except I can't because I have no start menu, no search menu, and no obvious way to launch the windows defender interface screen.

fake edit: Oh, it looks like a newer build is out for fast ring insiders. Maybe I'll just switch to the fast ring and . . . nope. The 'open action center' icon on the taskbar isn't working either.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Novolin posted:

if the start button isnt working in a preview build it's not going to hit the public windows 10 release because that's kind of the entire purpose behind having an insider program, to catch that poo poo before it get released.

Yes, except none of the buttons work, so I can't actually report this bug. As far as they know everything is fine. :toot:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Captain Novolin posted:

You can post on the insider forums from a web browser. If they can't find a workaround it's likely to get noticed by someone who can check it out.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum?auth=1

Nice. Thanks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh, well that is lovely. That fucks me completely on building my grandparents a new PC later this year.

Just teach your grandparents linux. :razz:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I miss windows 3.1. Whenever windows was being a butt I could just boot into DOS and fix it from there.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I got tired of the nagging so last week I finally said yes, upgrade me, do it. And Windows thanked me for reserving my upgrade and said it would notify me when my upgrade is ready. And then nothing for a week. If I go to the little windows icon it just thanks me and tells me my notification is coming soon. WTF windows?

Windows 10 is totally ghosting me. :mad:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skarsnik posted:

Just download the media creation tool and run it from within windows, you don't have to actually create any media

Thanks for the tip, that worked great!

And then windows 10 killed my ethernet connection . . . somehow. I assume something about drivers, but I couldn't look it up because I had no internet connection. Rolled back to windows 7 and my computer said nope, gently caress you, ethernet still doesn't work. Tried a rollback to last week, no dice. Rummaged through the bin of old computer stuff (hooray for hoarding) and found a wifi dongle to save the day. Except my computer apparently didn't know how to use a wifi dongle, and the software was on a mini-CD and I didn't bother to install a CD drive on this computer. Luckily I still have my two previous desktops in the closet, so I just ripped the CD drive out of one of them and . . . nope, new motherboard doesn't even have he right kind of connector for that . . . . Okay, the other old computer has a CD Drive with a SATA connector which will work. And yay everything worked and I got back on the internet so now I can repair the LAN drivers and get my ethernet connection back. What's that, Windows 7, you say my drivers are up to date?
Okay then. :ughh: I still have no idea what is wrong with my ethernet connection, but other than that everything seems fine. I guess I'll try upgrading to windows 10 again next week.

That's my Windows 10 story, thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PerrineClostermann posted:

People suspend their desktops?

They sure do! :v: