Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I do wish people would stop posting those lovely tinfoil 'guides'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well i don't see lots of red boxes and pictures of nazis, so yes that one works for me :)

Stick it in the OP maybe?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How are people out there surprised that an entirely new OS is 3GB?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've had terrible battery problems on my phone recently and its probably because I installed win 10 on my pc

:argh: windows 10!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Truga posted:

I really really don't get why people are defending this. There's plenty of good things in windows 10, but this isn't one of them, just get over it already.

Mostly because its true?

Someone post the thing with Nazi's again

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You appear to be mistaking defending Microsoft with calling out bullshit tinfoilhattery

Why do you feel the need to reinforce it?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No, sorry

Burden of proof is on you for this one, how about how you explain how Microsoft is stealing all your data and the reasoning behind you wanting to create a tinfoil hat?

Bonus points of it includes pictures of nazis

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Truga posted:

See, this is what I'm talking about. Either microsoft can do no wrong, or microsoft is literally nazi :godwin:
Show me, where I posted about how "microsoft is stealing my data".

The matter of the fact is, however, by default, windows collects user data:

You can opt out, but certain updates now silently opt you back in. Why am I getting attacked over this? Why is a guy who just wanted to disable this again getting told "this is all bullshit tinfoil hattery"? Why is our not wanting data getting sent to microsoft suddenly the same as invoking nazis?

Advising someone how to turn off the add tracking etc using the options provided during install and within windows, that's all good.

Linking someone to this:
https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking

Which does, something? That's you making a tinfoil hat, and encouraging others to do the same

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Truga posted:

It does "something" in that it's a python script that disables all the scattered things in 1 click. But no need to believe me, the source is right there on the page I linked, you can check it yourself!

nah, that's OK

I'll have a look once you can show me what all this data that's being sent to microsoft contains, and how it will affect me in a negative way

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Truga posted:

Nice strawman.

Where did I say it affects you in a negative way? And why does it matter how it affects you? A guy just wanted to turn it off, so I pointed him to the easiest solution I knew about. A lot of people in here, however, seem to take issue with that? Why?

Because spreading misinformation doesn't do anyone any good

Guy comes in asking how to disable 'privacy bullshit', and you link a tool that disables a whole load of random stuff, but you don't really know what it does, or what exactly it is stopping Microsoft sending.

Inverness posted:

That "spying bullshit" is itself mostly bullshit conjured by people that can't see past their tinfoil hats.

This is the issue people have, and you are making it worse

I shall chill now

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BattleCattle posted:

Google Chrome becomes unresponsive whenever I lock it to either side of the screen. Dunno what's up.

Snap it to the side then resize it a tiny bit smaller from a bottom corner. No idea what's going on or why that works

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BattleCattle posted:

Snapping with the windows key hotkeys also works. That might narrow it down.

I've just tried and it looks like the problem is fixed anyway, i cant get it to go non responsive at all

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You don't need an optical drive to install windows

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

wookieepelt posted:

Is there a reason to use ad blockers from a security standpoint? I know that a lot of sites only function because of ad revenue, and I haven't used an ad blocker because of that. I'm not trying to be contrary or anything, just curious as to why ad blockers seem to be such a big deal that people don't use Edge because of the lack of ad blocking.

Security aside most websites are an assault on the eyes with ads

The few times I have to go without I'm amazed anyone can deal with all that poo poo. It makes the internet an unpleasant experience

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can you not just hit skip when it asks for it?

E: just saw you mention that bit

So it gives no option but entering a key? Odd

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

SpazRobot posted:

Since OneDrive isn't un-installable, I've set it to not launch at startup.

But whenever I accidentally click it in an Explorer window, it launches the whole drat app. Is there some easy way to remove its icon from Explorer too?

You can definitely uninstall it, and remove that icon

There are plenty of guides online

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I also had sleep crashing issues with the intel ME, but switching to the ones installed by windows update and ditching the older intel ones actually fixed it for me

The intel installer wouldn't let me go above version 9.5 of the MEI drivers, whereas windows update installed version 11

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its just that those of us with no problems don't come post to post about it much :shrug:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just download the media creation tool and run it, you don't need to wait

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

During the first month where there were so many updates requiring restarts coming through, it was annoying to be fair

Now its settled down I think i'm down to around 1 restart a week looking at the install history. It also seems to have figured out well when I'm not using the computer, so I've not noticed the restarts at all

I can understand the dislike for it, but then if it means less unpatched PCs owned by idiots out there then I'm willing to deal with it

The vague patch notes (in relation to security anyway) is getting fairly industry wide these days unfortunately, is it any different on 7/8 now?

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 1, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You did right, insider builds for a dad? You must be insane

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

KillHour posted:

Have you ever tested those backups, though?

Like, would you format your computer right now and rebuild from backup and be confident about it?

Backups scare the poo poo out of me because nobody ever actually tests the drat things.

Get crashplan and you don't really need to worry any more

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Something was waking my PC up all the time. Turns out the latest version of spotify is setting a wake timer for exactly an hour after the pc sleeps for some reason

(not my pic)

Great job guys

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No real reason aside from getting a free upgrade

If this was some kind of sneaky way around getting a free upgrade of windows that someone had discovered, no one would have a problem jumping through the hoops.

Just because it's an official microsoft solution being offered, and they've made it pretty clear what exactly you are being given, it's the worst thing in the world

Goons

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EugeneJ posted:

Just updated my HP Stream 7 and it works super!

Question - how do I disable Windows 10 requiring a password while it's plugged in to charge/after it's plugged in to charge?

I already disabled the password screen after it wakes from sleep, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the password requirement after it's been charging.

Do I need to use a Local account and not a Live account?

Yes, or switch to a pin which is a bit less annoying

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If the bios can't see it either I don't think it has much to do with windows

Any way of trying it on a different machine?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah its usually a hard drive order thing, you take out the usb stick and suddenly the drives all move up a place and confuses windows

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Splode posted:

No matter how many hidden check boxes I untick, my computer turns itself on in the middle of the night by itself. This OS sucks.

Are you sure its windows doing it?

Spotify would turn on mine in the middle of the night until that version got fixed.

Not saying that is your issue particularly, but you may want to look elsewhere for blame and even a fix

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The free version of crashplan can do that, and then if they ever want to pay for cloud backup in the future it'd be nice and easy

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ah yes, didn't see that bit

He should probably get it anyway

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spasticColon posted:

One more question: Do I have to install the Intel storage driver in Windows 10 for TRIM to work on my SSD?

Nope

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Curse you Microsoft for smoothly upgrading my pc with no issues :argh:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just download the media creation tool and run it from within windows, you don't have to actually create any media

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If it doesn't work in 7 either that would suggest a hardware issue and its just a bad coincidence, nothing to do with 10

Or a bad cable?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://twitter.com/JmeBBK/status/742402316838522880

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Looks like its regional as not getting it in the uk

I don't really care enough to download it outside of WU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

magimix posted:

I don't know how they dole it out, or how granular things might get within a given region, but I started pulling it down just after 6pm; snobby South Coast goon as I am.

Edit: It went through a good three restart cycles, but it went from 'download starts' to 'all installed and good to go' in around 45 minutes.

I am in the Wales, so who knows

Clicking 'learn more' about the latest updates within the WU dialog box sent me to a page with a direct download to it that started the update

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now thats a proper virus

Non of this stealing your passwords or botnet stuff, just gently caress up poo poo and leave a message

Nostalgic as gently caress

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you had the anniversary update yet? You can set times when you don't want it to restart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

on a whim I just tried installing 10 on an old laptop using a win 7 key, it accepted it and activated fine