Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Question to anyone who has been using windows 10 for a bit.

The first thing I did after install was to go into the privacy options and turn off as much ~stuff~ as possible, including setting each 'modern' app to not run int the background. After a few days, it seems that several of these programs have re-enabled themselves to run in the background. I noticed this today when a desktop notification popped up telling me that i could get a month of free office from the 'Get Office' app.

Is there any way for me to actually turn this poo poo off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Depends. Some of it, like Defender, can only be turned off for a little while since there's no compelling reason not to run it or an alternative. What specific ones are you having trouble keeping off?

I know defender is special, I meant things in this section of settings: http://i.imgur.com/Xqy3KtU.png

The two that turned on today were 'Get Office' and 'Photos'.

I've uninstalled get office because that seemed fairly worthless, but lacking another image viewer I can't really get rid of Photos. I'll keep an eye on it now and see how long it takes to re-activate itself.

Edit: get office reinstalled itself after a reboot, I cannot escape :negative:

Rahu fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 11, 2015

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ILikeVoltron posted:

Can anybody explain what's going on here?

code:
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-AppxPackage | Measure-Object

Count    : 52

I'm also getting this with most, but not all, things i install. They are in the start menu but search just can't find anything :iiam:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have my windows update set to check automatically and let me choose when to download/install update.

The windows 10 thing was a big screen I had to click through to get past to show the real update list instead of just the windows 10 upgrader. Then when i clicked it "Windows 10 Pro Upgrade" was listed as an optional update and automatically checked.

The updates marked "important" were still there but unchecked by default.

:bravo:

e: Which update do I have to uninstall to get rid of the win10 upgrader icon? I don't trust it to do nothing anymore.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok quick followup.

I removed KB3035583 per instructions I found on google.

But the windows 10 icon is still there. I can't escape it.

E: After contacting MS support, I guess i had to uninstall it with WUSA because uninstalling it through the normal windows update interface doesn't actually uninstall it.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 16, 2015

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just installed windows 10 on a laptop, updated itm and configured some basic system settings.

When I just came back to the laptop after leaving it alone for a few hours I found that Windows had helpfully automatically downloaded and installed Candy Crush Soda Saga and Farmville 2. Is there some way for me to stop this sort of nonsense from happening in the future?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, I'm back with the same question I've asked before because the answer keeps changing.

What is the best way to disable start menu web results in 1903?

I've tried setting these registry keys:
pre:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
"BingSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000
"AllowSearchToUseLocation"=dword:00000000
"CortanaConsent"=dword:00000000
And these group policy settings:
pre:
Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Search/
	- Allow Cortana to Disabled
	- Do not allow web search to Enabled
	- Don't search the web or display web results in Search to Enabled
And also blocking outgoing connections from "Cortana" in windows firewall.

At this point it fails occasionally, but it still frequently pulls up a bing search page whenever I type anything into the start menu.

Is there anything else I can do here? Googling just gives me outdated info that doesn't work anymore.

e: Ok it stopped, I'm not sure why but a few searches got through but now it stopped showing up entirely.

:iiam:

Rahu fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

recently the taskbar keeps getting stuck on top of fullscreen web content. restarting the windows explorer task fixes it, but it's annoying. it would always occasionally happen, but it feels like it happens much more often now. any possible remedies?

(don't know if it matters, but i have my taskbar set up vertically)

When this happens you can ctrl+shift+right-click a running program in the task bar to fix it without restarting explorer.