Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

What's the verdict on Windows 10?
Marginally better than Win8.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a Radeon on Win8.1, did the in-place upgrade to Win10, then switched to a GeForce. For some reason, Win10 is still complaining about being unable to update some Radeon drivers, even though I've run the clean uninstall utility: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16748/

And no, I don't have any Radeon software/drivers listed in Apps & features.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had a Radeon when I upgraded from 8.1 but I've since gone Nvidia. I've run Display Driver Uninstaller but this still comes up:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Geemer posted:

Well, gently caress. I prefer my browser windows ~60% instead of 50%, which is just too narrow on 1080p. Hope there's an option to turn that snapping off, then.
Get a higher res display you pleb. :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

effika posted:

My husband gets a $199 discount on Windows through his school, and they have 7, 8.1, and 10 available.

His primary use for the computer is gaming and composing music. (Has a fancy Creative soundcard for it.)

I just built him a new machine-- should we throw 10 on it clean, or get 7 or 8.1 & upgrade? His current machine has 7 on it and works fine.
I've run Win7, 8.1, and 10, and I would pick 10 any day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Well this is great. I reinstalled Win10 because my 8.1 -> 10 upgrade wouldn't stop bugging me about updating Radeon software even though I haven't had one since a couple days after the upgrade, and now my WiFi is incredibly slow. When I run Speedtest from my iPhone 6 from my desk it's the right speed, but for whatever reason, the PC is stuck around 2.5Mbps. I would assume a driver change is to blame, but the PCIe WiFi card is a few years old with Realtek RTL8192CE chip so the Windows 10 built-in driver is the latest.

edit: I went to the card manufacturer's website and went through the old Have Disk process to install a Win8 driver from 2012. Seems to have fixed things for now...

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 16, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

It's going to deactivate, and while you can phone MS and try to convince them to do a phone activation, the Windows 10 license you agreed to expressly bound that license to your then current hardware, and when you replace that hardware, you are obligated to buy a new license.

You could just reinstall 7, activate it, then do the upgrade again, which will 'bless' your new hardware.
But the latter option expires July 2016.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Yeah maybe free's too far? but I don't know it just seems complicated
It's not complicated. You just have to pay for a new key when you get a "new" computer.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

For the moment you don't though - what you do need to do is jump through some extra hoops (install and activate 7, upgrade that to 10)
If you want to get a free upgrade on a new machine, yes. That seems fair considering you're getting a $130 operating system for free.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

nielsm posted:

Installed by the system, pretty much.
Windows App Model packages (as I think they're supposed to be called) are supposed to be perfectly isolated, so software installed through one can't break things that aren't its own, and when you uninstall it, it's truly gone.
Not more dll's?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Perhaps the newish CEO can turn things around.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero Gravitas posted:

I'm in the process of putting together a shopping list for a new PC build and I'm wary of Win10. I'd save a chunk of money by using my Win7 disc on the new machine and upgrading, but I'm hearing a lot of bad things about Win10 in terms of privacy and stability - and I dont have the guarantee that a lot of programs I need to use are as stable on 10 as they would be on 8.1

Is win10 as terrible as its cracked up to be?
Win10 is great, but you get a free upgrade from Win7, so if that's cheaper, you could just buy that.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When I manually turn off a monitor, Windows doesn't detect that it's off, but it'll still try to display things in that desktop space. This occurs over DVI and HDMI but not DisplayPort. It's annoying because when I get into bed and want to watch something, I'll turn off the secondary since I'm not using it, and I don't want to deal with having to drag windows from the off monitor to the on monitor.

I want to say this started happening when I upgraded from Win 8.1. Thoughts?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Local search has been a joke since Windows 8. I can't believe there's still no way to have it always search your local stuff first without doing to a web search. At least in 8 you could hit Winkey + F or whatever for local files.

It's tempting to install Start10 since it gives the option of the Windows 7 search behaviour, which does the trick every time.
Just upgrade to Win10 already. It's so much better than Win8.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Win10 calc has been problematic since launch for me.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is there a free, lightweight PDF viewer that will let me view facing pages?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MikeJF posted:

drat, I'm a sucker for visual refreshes and glass effects and was looking forward to this, but until they let me put my taskbar on the side and turn off grouping I'm sticking with 10. Let me use the space on a widescreen sensibly, damnit!
For many years I’ve put the taskbar at the top bc research shows that most of your mousing is in the top half of the screen, but given 16x9 monitors, I wonder if I shouldn’t be putting it on the left. :thunk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

the worst part about TPM is the module for my motherboard went from $24 to $200 overnight
My old rear end ASRock Z77 Extreme4 desktop doesn't even support TPM. I think the only computer I have that supports TPM is a used Latitude 7490 I bought off a goon in January. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

redeyes posted:

I stopped selling Surfaces like 4-5 years ago. They are buggy pieces of poo poo. I'd take an Ipad pro 10/10 over MS underpowered surfaces.
Aren't the surface laptops pretty decent (as opposed to the tablet)?