Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Esroc posted:

Windows 10 has managed to completely break my WiFi. And based on a Google search I'm not the only one it's done this to, but none of the proposed fixes has worked. It was weird how it happened too as it was a gradual decline. The WiFi was fine for a day or two after the update and then slowly began d/c-ing at random times and simply restarting the connection fixed it , then the d/c's happened more and more often, until today when it d/c'd and now it won't even pick up a signal. Every other device I own works fine and the laptop had no issues at all until I updated.

Edit: Just got it to pick up a signal again after several reboots, but now it just says it can't connect and gives me the finger.
It could be that the OS has reset your power settings; W8 had some dumbass settings for wifi, so see if there's something corresponding to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a way to hide my MS portrait in Edge? It's kind of annoying if I want to do screenshots or stream that it's there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So my Windows 10 reinstall messed up my name, now my dir is C:\Users\ufar. Anywhere I can change this dumbness?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'll just go with my weird folder name, then. It's all %APPDATA% to me anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any idea why my Win10 USB key doesn't show up in the boot menu? I used the media creation tool and everything, but I only see my HDD, when I press F8.

Key and setup program work fine within Windows. Currently running it to see what it might do. EDIT: It just wants me to do a Reset/Refresh, which won't suffice.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 10, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Putting it in a case slot, where there is no USB 3, did the trick. Probably my 6yo mobo's poor USB 3 support.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Downloading now.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

magimix posted:

Okay, two newb questions for this all at home with the anniversary update...

AdBlock, or AdBlockPlus for Edge? I use uBlock on Chrome and Firefox, so I don't have a familiar choice here.
How do you start the new bash shell? I tried' bash' but it didn't find anything.

Edit: I will note that my previous choices with respect to stuff like 'privacy' didn't appear to have been messed up, which is good.
Ad Muncher is a great general desktop app available for free that I really recommend. Saves you from a lot of the trouble of setting up different browsers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Morter posted:

Is there a recommended free antivirus for win 10 or, barring that, a recommended, low-impact paid AV?

Also holy poo poo @ that hack. I'm not at all savvy with classicshell or anything (just installed win10 today) but I noticed the tweet mentioned they 'also compromised audacity'? Like, the audio program? What the heck, I was just about to install that :(
Get Ad Muncher. Filters all traffic across programs, which is really convenient for blocking potential viruses that phone home etc.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone explain why Windows 10 search doesn't use fuzzy matching? It's so weird to have to feed Windows a super specific query for it to return anything useful.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Seem to have survived the Anniversary Update. It did re-install Skype, create a user for me, which it logged me into, and it also changed my default audio device, but other than that, it went without a hitch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How customizable is Bash on Windows? Can I use dotfiles and themes anywhere in any way for instance?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

Windows 10 Anniversary update happened and nothing broke. :toot:

I was scared after reading the thread. :v:
I'd still go through my settings if I were you. Mine only reset a few minor things like my default audio device and some settings stuff.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My Xbox One controller stopped working after the update. I turn the controller on, it blinks a couple times, stays on for a few seconds, then turns off. I tried changing the batteries, unplugging and reconnecting the dongle, and restarting, but no dice. Lol, I love when Microsoft breaks their own poo poo.

Edit: the dongle doesn't even show up in device manager. Or if it does it's not called anything with "Xbox" in the name.
Did you use the same USB port each time?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do I stop this from appearing at startup short of editing msconfig.exe?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thebigcow posted:

Figure out what is running msiexec with no options at startup.
Where can I see this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Filthy Hans posted:

Is there a hivemind consensus on the best free antivirus?
Just get Ad Muncher, and maybe check your UAC level depending on your level of security obsession. Ad Muncher can obviously also block other stuff by accident, but it's great in general.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What's a good CBR/CBZ viewer for W10? I tried the olde CBR Viewer, but it's not served from an HTTPS site, and it bundles some opt-out BS in the installer so I'd rather not go with that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you make iTunes open a song in the background instead of bringing the dumb app in the foreground of everything?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Why do my sound mixer levels keep changing?(!!!)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

isndl posted:

By default Windows does this thing where it adjusts volume when it 'detects communications activity'. Are you getting the issue when running Teamspeak/Skype/etc.?
Discord seems to be the only app that doesn't get its volume adjusted. I understand that it might turn down audio during use, but I'd think it turn the volume back up again. I'll try to turn off Discord attenuation and see if this nonsense stops.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

The point is that there's a Windows setting under sound, on the communications tab as well.
So it's the Windows setting, not the Discord setting, that causes this?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So the best way to manually download the Creators update is by using the media creation tool to download and upgrade your Windows 10 installation?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
After I changed the name of my computer, W10 now tries to log me in on a new account on startup. (It enters a wrong password or something.) The user doesn't show up in Family & other people under Accounts so I have no idea where to delete the thing. What's up?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What does upgrading with MCT even mean? It sounds like it's reinstalling my Windows 10 rather than just updating it judging by the weird language.

I just want the Fall update, man. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
:siren:

If you updated to Fall Creators Update, you've got a 30GB Windows.old. Go to Disk Cleanup and "clean up system files".

Was wondering where all my SSD space went.

It's still being weird about deleting it though, so see if it actually deletes the folder.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I vaguely remember something about an issue with Windows if you picked a username like "user" or "myuser" a while back; has anyone tried setting up a generic username like "me" and the like without any issues?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a specific place to customize the context menu (RMB)?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My W10 installed the update when I turned off the computer before I went to sleep. Which is fine, except it loving restarted and was on for the whole night.

This isn't rocket surgery, Microsoft, c'mon.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I had 1803 for 1-2 days. I manually used Check for Updates though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So what's the latest info on how to upgrade your hardware while keeping your free W10 upgrade license? Was the "digital license tied to your account" gimmick an actual thing, or do I have to buy a new license for this?

E: Windows says my key is tied to my acount. Sounds like all the more reason to not uninstall the license, but that will still create a conflict when I load up my new installation when the key is taken and unreclaimable.

Since I’m installing this on a new drive, I also won’t be doing a reset/format.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 22, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Try microsoft online chat. They reactivated mine when I changed motherboards.
I tried finding it inside Windows but couldn’t; did you go through the website?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I tried finding it inside Windows but couldn’t; did you go through the website?
Sorry to ask again, but after combing over everything, I only get the phone number. I guess I could call, but I just hate customer support over phone, especially since it's some global hotline. I can't even remember how to call those.

The "chat" up to that point was just some chat bot serving as a trumped-up search engine.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yep.

But, the PC listed is named "Desktop", which sounds more like the old computer than the new one. My current computer name, if that's the one listed under CP > System and Security > System is DESKTOP-(alphanumeric salad), so I'm not sure it's the right PC.

And if I select it and hit Next Activate, I just get this supremely useless screen:

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 30, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

This seems to show how to tease the chatbot into showing you the chat to a real person option.
loving FINALLY. I entered `slui` in the command prompt, which popped up a CD key prompt. Entered my Windows 8 Pro key, and it finally got activated. My key differed from the last four digits Windows 10 showed, but I assume that was the Win10-ified key for my Win8.

Thanks a billion, man.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Some people report disabling hardware accelleration (with GPU) fixed it. Might be worth trying.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Windows updates always reset your default playback/recording devices for some reason, can you not change them back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah the Superfish stuff is why I'd never want to buy a ThinkPad again, unfortunately - and this was after they bought the brand and immediately started cutting corners on the keyboard.

I can't remember how far back Superfish was, but I also bought my 2012 MacBook Air in large part due to the fact that it didn't feel like there were any good Windows laptop brands left.