Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is annoying. Windows 10 Pro isn't accepting my retail Win 7 Ultimate key. I hope I won't have to do the upgrade dance...

E: Eh tried a few more times and then it worked.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Clone your existing drive to your new SSD, then unplug all other drives from the system.

Boot up windows, and do the upgrade install. This will 'sign' your hardware as licensed for windows 10.

Either use the reset option to make windows 'like new', or format the SSD and install windows again from usb. you won't need a license key in either case.

Reconnect any other drives, and copy your files and stuff over from your original drive.

Or if you have a retail or upgrade version of Windows 7, you can use the product key from that for installing Windows 10 on a blank disk.

Although apparently the process for MS to accept keys from 7/8/8.1 for Win 10 upgrades can be a bit flaky, as I experienced myself today. (Had to install without a key first, then try several times to enter key + activate after installation.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get these apps from showing up in my start menu?

Contact Support
Cortana
Windows Feedback

There is a GPO for disabling Cortana. I believe the app tile also disappears when the function is disabled. At least it doesn't appear for me since MS doesn't support Cortana in my locale yet.

The other two can perhaps be blocked by AppLocker.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cryolite posted:

Does anyone know if it will be possible to do GPGPU programming with the new Ubuntu subsystem announced for Windows 10? Will I be able to install CUDA and use theano/tensorflow easily?

Unlikely.
It's specifically not virtualization (they say) and Windows is definitely in full control of the hardware. You wouldn't be able to use software that requires special access to any hardware.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

track day bro! posted:

Anyone know how to troubleshoot a wdf01000.sys bsod something about driver_less_equal, only appears occasionaly when playing games. I'm assuming its a driver issue but I dont know how to pin it down.

Apparently WDF = Windows Driver Framework, in this context, and that file is a shared runtime library for kernel mode drivers. So getting faults in wdf01000.sys would generally indicate you have some other kernel mode driver that's doing bad things.

If you can get stack traces from the faults it might be possible to trace it to a specific driver, but otherwise there isn't much to do other than uninstall drivers/remove devices one by one and do thorough testing after each removal to test if that one may have been the culprit.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

redeyes posted:

As far as I can tell, on the insider builds the start menu now lives as shortcuts located in c:\programdata\somethingiforget. This should mean no more goddamn buggy bullshit not finding apps.

You aren't just thinking of \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\, right? Because it's sort of been there since NT4/95, although the exact folder name/location of the user profile shared data has changed. (I'm also not seeing any modern apps in that folder.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sounds like Microsoft is following through with having just one year for free upgrades. I don't have any reference for it right now, but you'll probably have to pay for a full version after July 29th 2016, if you have Windows 7 or 8 and haven't taken the upgrade by then.
Hopefully they'll also remove all the GWX nagging then.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jeoh posted:

Win 7 retail converts to Win 10 retail just fine. As long as it's done before July 29th. You don't even need to 'upgrade' from Windows 7, you can directly enter the key into Windows 10 and it'll work. That's what I did for my current build.

Nah, Win 7 retail converts into Win 10 "digital entitlement". The Win 7 retail license is generally okay to install on entirely new hardware, as long as you only use the license on a single computer. The Win 10 "digital entitlement" is strongly hardware-bound, has no associated product key, and will never activate on anything but the hardware it was obtained with.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gunder posted:

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a while back, then used the rollback feature to restore my windows 7 install because 10 was causing all kinds of system instability issues. I've since done a complete wipe and fresh install of 7. Do I count as having "ownership" of 10? Will I need to pay if I don't upgrade again before the deadline?

If your Windows 10 install activated properly, then you should have a valid "digital entitlement" as long as your hardware doesn't change too much. You can then just reinstall Windows 10 on a blank disk (or upgrade again), and skip the product key step.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you guys think of Windows 10 for businesses? Has anyone here done it, and how did it go?

I feel pretty neutral about it overall (Bitlocker seems good in case someone leaves their laptop on a train) but we have about 80 machines on Windows 7 and I'm wondering whether we should take the free upgrade before it goes away.

Are you on a domain and use GPO and/or other central management?
In that case, it seems like you should not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but should really instead get a Software Assurance deal and run Enterprise edition instead. Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

timn posted:

My desktop abruptly shut down and upgraded to Windows 10 despite me declining to schedule it previously, and now I'm having activation issues. I was running Windows 7 Pro with a key I got from an MSDNAA program at my college several years ago. Windows 10 Pro refuses to activate with it saying it's the wrong edition, error code 0xc004f210.

A 3rd-party utility identifies my key as being "Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:MAK". Info on the Microsoft website suggests this is an Enterprise edition and I need to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center for help. Attempting that goes nowhere because it wants a business email which I presume is really for whoever at my old school was managing their volume licensing with Microsoft.

So, what the gently caress? Am I completely SOL without paying out of pocket for my own retail key now?

You should have a downgrade option somewhere, to roll back to your Win 7.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sion posted:

Doesn't that do a clean install rather than an upgrade?

Nope, can do either. It can just do the upgrade right away, or you can make a bootable media to clean install with, your choice.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'd think the "digital entitlement" license doesn't work for VMs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Use the media creation tool and mount the ISO or create a bootable USB drive with it.

Run it on another computer that does have the needed space free, I think it may still need some space on the system drive for whatever reason.

Also, a Windows 7 install shouldn't take up 35 GB. There has to be something that can be removed from there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Also I'm a bit rusty on OS installs, so is there any quick list for dummies of firmware, drivers, other things, I should grab and put on a usb stick before doing the upgrade.

Here's a complete list of drivers and similar you need to prepare in addition to the OS install media, for a successful installation:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Awesome! How did you get it to prompt you for the key? Did it just do it automatically on boot after the hardware change?

You should always have the option to Change Product Key in the System control panel, under the Activation heading. If nothing else you get the option to enter a new during activation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Your Win10 license is a "digital entitlement" tied to your hardware ID, that entitlement should be valid to the end of time, for any number of reinstalls, as long as the hardware doesn't change too much.

Your Win7 OEM license also should still be valid to reinstall with, but to comply properly you have to wipe the Win10 install.
If Win7 won't activate, call the activation phone and explain that you had to downgrade manually from 10 for whatever reason. That should be a valid reason.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

How much is "too much"? I mean, if your motherboard were to die...

Yeah that's the downside of custom built PCs with Microsoft OEM licenses. In that case you're supposed to replace the motherboard with one as similar as reasonably possible, I think. If you can keep all other components the same you can't really say it's a (significant) upgrade or system replacement, and they will probably grant you a new activation on the phone...

OTOH if it's a major brand machine, the OEM is supposed to replace the part with another one that will still grant the OEM auto-activation, at least on the original OS. On a Win10 upgraded machine, you would still have to do the phone call.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Or you can buy Windows 10 retail and get a real product key and ability to activate it on new hardware without trouble.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

hooah posted:

My laptop can't see my cousin's wifi network, but my Android phone can just fine. I set up a connection with the correct information anyway, but it didn't matter. What the hell is this about?

Maybe the network is only available on 5 GHz band and your laptop doesn't support that.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Microsoft released a tool to troubleshoot the Start Menu in Windows 10.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/21/fix-windows-10-start-menu/

That's gone in the OP, thanks!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

No idea, but CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} resides in C\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe, and does reference that APPID.

What the Runtime Broker is exactly, no clue.

However the full log message is a bit more interesting:

quote:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
and APPID
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.
It's trying to activate it as the SYSTEM account, and my guess is that Runtime Broker has to do with the WinRT stuff and isolation between apps. It does sound like something that shouldn't really run as SYSTEM, the question is just then what is causing that activation attempt.

In my case, the event seems to get logged when I put the machine into sleep mode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

So my Windows 10 reinstall messed up my name, now my dir is C:\Users\ufar. Anywhere I can change this dumbness?

Safest is to create a new (temporary) local-only user, log in with that, delete your badly named profile, then create a new profile (also local-only) with the right name, then log in with the new one, and then delete the temporary profile. After confirming your new user profile has the right profile folder name, you can then link it to an MS account if you prefer that.

It may be possible to hackishly rename your user profile folder, but it's very likely all kinds of things will break.
Create a temporary user account. Reboot computer, log in with temporary account. Rename badly named user profile folder. Open Regedit, find your main user under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList, update the ProfileImagePath value. Reboot again, log in with your main user. Enjoy breakage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

fishmech posted:

You've literally made up everything in this post: the free upgrade for Windows 10 does not grant an OEM license, and buying a new Windows 10 OEM license (which you have been able to do for nearly a year) does not convert another license to a Windows 10 OEM license - you simply have bought a second license for Windows 10 specifically.

Please stop lying to people about Windows licensing, you're just confusing people for no reason.

Isn't Atomizer saying that a Windows 7 OEM key is good for any number of installs of Windows 10, even on hardware that Windows 7 OEM key was never activated on? I don't read anywhere that says you get a Windows 10 OEM license. Rather what he says is that buying a Windows 10 OEM key is more restrictive than buying a Windows 7 or 8 OEM key and using that to install/activate Windows 10. If you use a Windows 10 OEM key, that key will only ever activate on the hardware it was first bound to, but if you instead use a Windows 7/8 OEM key to activate 10, you can use that key on multiple hardware configurations. Thing just is, doing that is against the word of the EULA.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Geemer posted:

Windows has been showing those folders as the local translation since Windows 7.
For instance going to C:\Gebruikers\ is just as valid as going to C:\Users\ in a Dutch install. It's just transparently redirected.

Maybe Windows 10 broke some of this behavior.

This. The physical folder names are supposed to always be the US English version, with applications using various standard APIs being able to show a different localized name.
If you open a commandline (cmd or PowerShell) and list the directories there, what names do you see? That should only ever show the true names.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YF-23 posted:

Ok, a real issue seems to be that my user account's name (and thus folder name) is in non-latin script. Looking stuff up for changing the username I see as recommendations either manual registry editing to do the switch or making a new account and switching everything over to that. Is there really no other way of going on about it?

Renaming your profile folder is extremely risky, all sorts of things can break. By far the safest is to create a new user account.
Was also brought up a few days ago.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

If I have a business/enterprise edition Im assuming it free upgrades to the appropriate equivalent, allowing for the same number of multiple machines to be free upgraded? Or it just upgrades one machine, loving up the multi-license key for the other Win7 machines?

Enterprise editions aren't eligible for upgrade, supposedly. Unless you have them on an SA agreement that allows free choice between any Windows version for each client.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

Is there a way to have Windows 10 output audio to two separate devices at once? My PC is hooked up to PC speakers and to my television, but only one is ever in use at a time. Is there a way to set it up so I dont have to change the default playback device every time?

Nothing built in, you have to use something like VoiceMeeter or Virtual Audio Cable to get a virtual output device, that then fans out to the actual outputs you want. Also be aware that this may introduce some delay on the audio.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

wolrah posted:

It's not so much a translation layer as another "personality" of the system. Windows NT has always supported multiple personalities through subsystems. The POSIX subsystem, its replacement the subsystem for Unix-based applications (SUA), and the OS/2 subsystem are the most well known alternatives to the main Windows API subsystem everyone knows. The new stuff is called "Windows Subsystem for Linux".

And the funny thing is that you're specifically not running Linux, the kernel, at all, when using WSL, you're just getting an ELF loader and a compatibility layer that looks like Linux from the outside.

Let's all congratulate Stallman on the best implementation environment for GNU/NT yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

jeeves posted:

I have been upgrading about a dozen computers that my work will be donating to employees or such since we don't use them anymore. I've been upgrading them from Win7 -> Win10 using the company Win7 license so that we can give away Win10 machines while also getting back those Win7 licenses.

My process:
- I've been upgrading from Win7 -> Win10
- Then I log in via a temp account, to verify Win10 activation
- I manually delete the roll back data (C:\Windows.bak\ or whatever)
- Then doing a System -> "Reset this PC" without saving personal data from within Win10 (emulating a clean install)
- Once that is done, I leave it at the initial "welcome to Win10, make a user account now" screen and turn the machine off.

Since I already logged in once as the temp user before doing a system reset, the computer is good and activated in Win10, right? Or will people who make a new account after the end of this month get hit with activation problems because they didn't log in to their new post-system reset account BEFORE then?

If the latter is the case, I will log into each and make a dummy temp account and leave it at that because jeez thanks Microsoft.

Accounts have no bearing on activation or digital entitlements (digital licenses, as they're apparently now called). The system hardware is fingerprinted and that's all that binds the license.

After the Anniversary Update comes out, you will be able to link a digital license to a Microsoft account (not a Windows user account) to have better chance of getting a re-activation in case of a major hardware change, but that currently seems like it will be an additional action you have to take.
You have to actually go into the activation settings page and click "link this license to my account" while logged in with an MS-account-linked local administrator. After you have done that, you get an extra option if activation fails.

Also, your Windows 7 product keys don't become invalidated because you use them to install Windows 10 and get a digital license for the hardware. However the license text forbids you from having active installations of both at the same time. (I'm not sure what the stance on dual-booting between them would be, but running one in a VM on the other is out.) This isn't enforced via activation, but if your business gets audited they will probably ding you for it.
And using the Windows 7 key to install a wholly different machine, then using both, that's definitely not allowed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deviant posted:

Well, I got a fresh windows 7 key. So now I have to go

Clean install 7 -> Activate 7 -> Upgrade to 10 -> Get my 10 key from my 10 install, and this should set a digital entitlement onto my Microsoft account for the current hardware? -> Clean install 10 without key, will pull existing entitlement from my microsoft account?

Am I understanding this right?

No.

Your license does not get bound to any account. Your license get gets bound to your hardware ID, so if you install on the same hardware again you can activate without a key.

With the Anniversary Update, this changes, and your digital license (digital entitlement) will get linked to your MS account, it seems automatically. (It has happened automatically on the machine I have running on slow ring insider builds.)
I assume you cannot get one license linked to multiple accounts, but maybe you can move it to another account.
The account linking also is irrelevant as long as the hardware stays the same, it only matters if you need to re-activate after a major hardware change.

You can see what the actual circumstances on your machine are on the Activation page in the Settings app.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't think WSL is intended to be a replacement runtime environment for critical services. It probably will give better performance, or at least better responsiveness, than a full virtual machine running real Linux, but not as good as real Linux on real hardware. Also, since it isn't actually Linux, you don't get the Linux driver stack or anything, just a virtualized file system.
It really is just meant as a developer environment, for working on software that will in the end probably be hosted on a real Linux system.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

Does that work in Windows 10's bash?

It shouldn't, no. I very much doubt they virtualize the hardware like that, and even then even when you're "root" in the environment, you still only have the permissions you launched the process under from Windows.
I.e. if you actually want to edit C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts from the WSL environment, then you need to run "bash.exe" elevated as an administrator, but then I'm not sure if you actually need to be the "root" user.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does anyone want to make a new thread for the anniversary update + stuff? I don't really care for keeping for OP updated any longer, so if noone makes a new thread I guess this one will just go stale.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

The controls for those are still in PC Settings as of the Anniversary Update. In fact, they have been since the start of Windows 10.

It's seems quite clear that MS wants to remove a large part of the enterprisey controls from the Pro edition to force orgs that want those onto the Enterprise edition, meaning some sort of Software Assurance agreement.
The result becomes that the Pro edition is more like Home Plus...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Windows 10 For The Disabled and Small Businesses

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Windows 10: Still Free for Cripples

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

plushpuffin posted:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program "what's the difference between a license and an entitlement?" If you missed the last five hundred posts on this topic, stay tuned for them to be repeated nearly verbatim.

Good news: On Tuesday you will be using a "digital license" instead! In fact, if you're running an insider preview you will already see the wording changed to "digital license" in the Activation settings page.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DevCore posted:

Missed out on this drat Windows 10 update. Wish I had seen this thread earlier. Didn't know about it until the day before and I was slammed from the time I went to work till the time I got up the next morning.

Anyways, some questions with this Windows 10 Assistive Technologies version:
- Will it have a larger install footprint than just Windows 10 Pro
- If I have Windows 7 Pro, will I get WIndows 10 Pro
- Can I turn off/remove all the Assistive Technologies features once it's installed
- Should I just not worry about it and keep my Windows 7 Pro

Nothing points to it being a special edition at all, it's still the regular Home or Pro edition.

Yes, Pro upgrades to Pro.

If you wait until after August 2nd you'll probably get the Anniversary Update version directly, rather than getting the previous version and then go through another upgrade a few days later.

Maybe the installer will refuse to work if you don't have some assistive software running, if that's the case you can try just running the Magnifier tool that's built in to Windows 7.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Deviant posted:

Okay, so I'm seeing that a bunch of stuff can't be turned off in Anniversary Edition, then I'm also seeing articles that say "Yes it can, it's just in a different spot".

Can anyone explain to me, in plain loving English, what the update is going to turn on, and if/how it can be turned back off if necessary.

For what it's worth, the "Occasionally show suggestions in Start" setting, which is the "show advertisements for Store apps as tiles in Start" setting, still exists in the current slow ring insider build. If it isn't taken out there it's very unlikely to disappear in the final Anniversary update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

WTF is dashline and why does Microsoft want me to have it? Also, isn't McAfee garbage?

What would be good programs for antivirus?

uBlock Origin is a good virus defence.
If you also want something to scan for older things, just leave Windows Defender there, it's generally just fine.