Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

d0s posted:

I swear I'm not an Apple fanboy and they're not perfect but MS really needs to start stealing from them some more

My Win10 desktop

My Macbook Pro

ribbons :argh:
Right-click all the icons you want and select "Add to quick access" - right-click quick access and press S, then right-click again and press N.

Now you have a strip of icons for the cut-down amount of tasks you really want and a menu to access everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Since you don't get a key, does this mean that after July 29th 2016 there will be no way to reactivate? If I buy a new motherboard in 2018, I'll have to choose between paying for 10 or reinstalling 7?

Edit: Having to pay for a license at that point doesn't seem super unreasonable, but I think I'd rather just pay money now and install with that key instead of dealing with the hassle down the road on the day that Windows decides my poo poo's not Genuine anymore.
10 authentication squirts your hardware profile at Microsoft, and that's what it uses to authenticate from then on - on a reinstall it should just dial home and check nothing much has changed then reactivate itself. If you buy a new motherboard, then yes, that seems to be the key component since then it's definitely a 'different computer' - but people have been moving OEM 7 copies from home builds to home builds for ages by calling Microsoft and requesting a reactivation for it.

I don't even think you can buy a key at this point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

She tried using edge, yes. Unfortunately it isn't compatible with her webmail thing. :psyduck: She used IE before, which seems to be gone in windows 10. I got her back into her email so she'd calm down about everything being gone. Then a few minutes later she told me she'd figured out how to roll back to windows 7 on her own.

Everything has been quiet for a while, so I guess it's going well. Or she's left the house on a murder spree. Either way, op success.
IE is still around, it's just 'hidden' so that people stop using it - you can type Internet Explorer into Start to get a shortcut/launch it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Does anybody know how to add things to This PC's weird totally-not-libraries or quick-access 'Folders' section?

All of the default libraries are there already, but I want to add just one extra library. Which means I have to turn Show Libraries on, which is a huge waste because it's just a complete duplication of all the This PC items that aren't drive letters plus one extra folder. I'd rather just add my thing straight to the user folders in This PC and keep libraries off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MikusR posted:

Edit: I misread your question. There seems to be a utility to add arbitrary folders called "This PC Tweaker" http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.213.
This did the job awesomely, thank you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Any ideas?

Another problem (this time a bug, presumably): I can't seem to make Windows 10 pick a folder for the wallpaper slideshow. I'm able to browse to it, but selecting it doesn't do anything. The folder isn't actually added to the list and it doesn't read any images from it.
I had the same issue and solved it in the most Windows 10 manner possible.

Run "control.exe /NAME Microsoft.Personalization /PAGE pageWallpaper" and you'll get the old Desktop Background settings dialogue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly find it hard to believe not only that Windows 10 already requires 18 gigs of updates, but that someone even managed to accidentally file-share 18 gigs of updates through satellite internet since release.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

No, those are just the numbers from the news article - an "up to $600" bill, based on a $50 plan for 3.5gig and 4c a meg thereafter.

SouthLAnd posted:

My one and only annoyance with W10 is that the realtek audio manager seems to not work. It's the program that has the EQ settings and without it, my audio quality with my headphones is pretty lovely. I think I found the .exe in the realtek folder, but trying to launch it does nothing, and the icon is absent in the system tray.

Is there no other way to adjust the audio settings in 10? I've reinstalled what I believe is the latest driver package. I have an EQ extension in Chrome that works good, but I had been using Firefox exclusively for the last month and honestly like it better.
My Realtek HD Audio Manager worked straight out of the box - I don't even think I had it installed when I upgraded. It says it's version 6.0.1.7535 if that helps. I don't have a tray icon either, but it pops up whenever I plug something in and on a Start search.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Rurutia posted:

I don't think it's intended behavior. On my computers, as long as I don't touch the notification that appears in the notification center it'll let me wait as long as I want. Once I touch to reschedule, it will reschedule automatically at a time where I don't use my computer.
Yeah, I had a notification in my tray since Thursday for "Schedule restart to apply updates" with my computer set to Always On, but I didn't bother responding to it until Sunday night when I needed to restart anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

All of a sudden Windows 10 has decided it can't restart automatically for updates. I've scheduled it at multiple times in the past couple of days but I always come back to find "Whoops, we couldn't install updates please schedule updates" and it hasn't restarted. All I can find in Event Viewer is "The description for Event ID 0 from source gupdate cannot be found." at the right timestamp, and of course searching Google just gives me results of people complaining they can't stop it restarting.

I am too lazy to restart for you Microsoft. :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wow, so I guess it's true that Avril is big in Japan.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can only rent it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

No, it's fairly common. It's due to how Microsoft have Fast Startup work, theoretically run shutdown /s /t 0 to cold shutdown and force a slow boot, or go into Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Advanced Startup Restart to get in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You don't need the upgrade offer to make an iso - just download the tool to make a usb then when you get the PC, install your current Windows on there, authenticate it as usual, then plug in your usb and do an upgrade.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 9, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To my knowledge, since you're building a new machine, your only path to an activated Windows 10 is through the upgrade. The upgrade has to be done on the machine in question, so you have to install a previous Windows on it.
If you can't fit an optical drive in there then you'll have to source/make an iso to put on usb for that as well.

You can't upgrade your current machine then 'move' the license to a new machine because there's nothing to move except a database entry on Microsoft's servers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Except for the start menu and search randomly breaking.

I discovered today that there's even a special dialog that pops up when they break. It actually says "The start menu and Cortana have stopped working. Sign out and sign back in and we'll try to fix it." and there's a button that logs you out.

Yes, seriously.
I've never had the start menu or search break or misbehave in the slightest.

I don't want to say I think it's because both Cortana and Online Search are disabled in my region, but it's definitely that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WinAero Tweaker includes an option to re-enable coloured titlebars.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

That they hid it is dumb and I hope some folks still on the insider track are reporting it as something that needs to have a UI so it shows back up in the regular release without needing to open a command prompt.
I don't think it's hidden so much as it's fallen into the cracks during them moving personalisation into the Settings panel rather than the Control Panel. I reported it ages ago but I doubt it's a high priority.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Why would you even have WSUS if you're going to let people check for Microsoft updates.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Is there anyway I can ensure this thing is fingerprinted correctly for a free license without being able to finish the upgrade, then do a clean install? I'm worried if I wipe it now I'll be stuck without any valid OS despite having a legit OEM key.
There's an Insider Build (10565) that will take earlier Windows keys during the clean install process. You'll either need to sign up for Insider Preview, or wait for them to update their Media Creation Tool to that version. If you have the sticker key though you should still be able to authenticate with a regular Windows 7 ISO.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

We have a lovely home ADSL connection so each attempt takes several hours as the Microsoft guys have never heard of catching downloads.
Have the media creation tool make a USB drive.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Also the old Photo Viewer is technically available - you just have to chuck some entries in your registry to allow it to be selected from the Open With dialogue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

So I have a problem where every time an update is applied in Windows, this turns back on.

Any clues as to why? I don't need notifications for my audio driver. I know when I plug or unplug audio devices for fucks sake.

e: I also tried disabling the icon in notifications. But it still comes back every time Windows applies updates. I'll try reinstalling the driver, but I won't know if it's fixed until next time Windows 10 has some update that requires a restart.
Have you tried turning off the notification in the Realtek Audio Manager itself?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Phoenixan posted:

There's no option for it in the program itself, other than to try hiding its icon in the tray. It only started doing this on the past month or so.

I'd also like it if notifications obeyed the system sounds level in the mixer and weren't so loving loud.
Weird - mine has like three different Settings screens, but the one in the bottom right with the Wrench icon has "Disable auto popup dialog, when device has been plugged in" and that's how I got rid of it. Says my version number is 6.0.1.7535.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Does anybody know how to disable the login screen after the lock screen?

I have no password on this computer because it's not intended to be secure, but the more recent update has decided that after click/swiping on the lock screen to get back in I now have to also click on a "Login" button. So it takes two clicks to dismiss what is essentially a screen saver, and I otherwise actually like the lock screen so I don't want to turn it off if I can get rid of the useless intervening screen Microsoft have decided I need.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

So, Windows 10 installed some updates last night. It decided Edge needed to be my new default PDF reader. It also decided to unpin everything I had pinned in the start menu and remove the custom sections I had created and placed them in. Thanks, Microsoft!
Updates have an unfortunate regularity of resetting any changes you make to its default programs. It's a pain in the rear end because while Edge is a decent enough reader, I've got Acrobat Pro which obviously does more, thanks Microsoft.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MikusR posted:

It happened once with the November update.
That's unfortunate.

But really, it's happened at least twice on my work computer - though probably because it's on Insider builds - and it probably seems like more to me because I kept getting "oh yeah, I open with this now" prompts for like a month and I'm running 10 on two computers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

MikusR posted:

It happened once with the November update.

It just happened again for me with the December one :smugjones:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

GreenNight posted:

That's just an rear end in a top hat thing to say. "Use a different OS". OK yeah let me quit my Windows admin gig and go full linux because I dislike how Microsoft is pushing loving Candy Crush down on each user without me having to gently caress around with the registry.

They're just making sure you have enough work to keep your job.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

hooah posted:

I could have sworn that Windows 10 allowed you to scroll in background windows if the cursor was over them, but that doesn't seem to be happening now with my laptop (home edition, no sort of preview version). Did some setting get turned off somehow?
The setting is in Settings->Devices->Mouse & Trackpad as "Scroll inactive windows when I hover over them".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

hooah posted:

Once you've snapped a window to a location, is there an easy way to get it back to its original size/location? For example, if I snap a window to the left half of the screen, I have to snap it up twice (once to go to the upper-left corner, once to maximize), then snap down to get back to the original location and size.
The snap hotkeys, Win+Right/Left Arrow, will unsnap back to the original location. You can even use them to 'scroll' through locations on multiple monitors - starting on the left monitor Win+Left will do the following in order: Snap to left Monitor 1, Snap to right Monitor 2, unsnapped in original location but on monitor 2, Snap to left Monitor 2, Snap to right Monitor 1, unsnapped in original location on monitor 1.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The last Nvidia drivers are completely hosed, with people complaining about all kinds of problems all the way up to bluescreens. Do a clean uninstall and go back to March 1.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Arsten posted:

I just wish they'd pick Metro or Classic for their configuration UIs. Several times I've had to jump back and forth (And sometimes they don't even tell you the same thing between both UIs!)
My favourite one is like display or personalisation under Settings where it has a link called "Advanced Settings" and all it does is boot up the Control Panel interface.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Download the media creator - https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Use "Create installation medium for another PC" and it will prompt you for a USB.

From your installation USB you can perform a clean install and just put your 7 key in when prompted.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick with the Windows 10 upgrade is to tell Microsoft you want Windows 10 then instead of ignoring its popups for months on end telling you that it's ready, just make time to install it overnight or something. If you don't want Windows 10 don't tell them you want it. It's not rocketry.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Are Nvidia's drivers in Windows 10 problematic? I ask because I installed the newest certified drivers and I'm still getting weird stuff happen like my 660Ti running at full clock speed at the desktop when I'm not running a game and when I do run a game the boost clockspeed on the GPU won't engage. Rebooting seems to fix it at least for a while anyway.
GeForce drivers have been pretty hosed since March across every Windows.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Depending on your Explorer settings it could be skipping system directories. In addition, the file system itself consumes space, both the master file table and logs have an overhead associated with them that Used Space will report but File Size won't. Finally, the cluster size will dictate how much actual space a file takes up (default will be a multiple of 4KB) - Explorer will lie by omission saying a text file is 5KB but that 5KB takes 8KB of space to store.

Internal maintenance on the NTFS logs and defragmentation reducing the footprint of files can account for the fluctuating size of the discrepancy. I think Used Space will also account for your Pagefile, while Explorer won't.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

fishmech posted:

Er, if that were the case then the Size on Disk would just be very large and there would be very little discrepancy between the space used and size on disk figures. You seem not to have noticed but the actual size on disk was smaller then size of files, because I keep a bunch of stuff compressed. Also explorer definitely accounted for the pagefile.

As it turns out it was the Search database being in a not-default-accessible folder and somehow growing to 60 GB. So if anyone else suddenly is missing a lot of space, follow the last set of instructions from this Microsoft page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2838018

It says it's for 8 and Server 2012, but it also applies to 8.1 and 10.
Okay so Explorer was skipping a system directory, glad to help you out fishmech.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The graphics usually aren't very good, and the gameplay is often rudimentary in hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How on earth did they gently caress up something as fundamental as search
It's never worked at any level but perfect for me, but I 100% attribute that to Cortana not being available in my country and therefore it not using some Bing-based algorithm.