Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Jewel Repetition posted:

What's the verdict on Windows 10?

Hung jury. We're going for a retrial in the coming months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Repo Man posted:

I installed Irfanview (I haven't needed that in years, takes me back to installing ACDSee on Win98 and 2000) but you can only scroll through a couple of photos before this happens:

This is from viewing the thumbnails on the camera's memory card, double clicking on one to open it with Irfanview, then clicking the arrow in either direction to view the other images on the memory card.

It looks like when you try to open it, it's caching the photo in IE's temporary internet files folder, which will also contain random files like that .swf file it's trying to load.

EDIT: I don't have any solution, just diagnosing the problem.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Karthe posted:

Why would I want to log in with a pin instead of a password? Windows promoted me to set one up when I reinstalled the other day and my first reaction was, "are you kidding me?"

I get that people hate passwords, and I understand that a number is (probably) easier to memorize, but with as much personal stuff as gets stored on a laptop, wouldn't you want to make it harder for others to log in?

In addition to what Call Me Charlie said, if it works anything like Windows 8, if you enter the PIN wrong around 5 times, you're forced to use the password, so it's not like people have infinite tries.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

The apps that you're having difficulty getting rid of are Microsoft's smart tile apps - the idea being that while provisioned apps are in the image, that doesn't help Microsoft push adverts because they can't just gently caress around with your system image. Instead, they pin tiles to your Start Menu that dynamically stream apps down to the system. The defaultlayout.xml contains a number of these tiles, and that's why they reappear when you try to powershell them away - the app is gone and then the system is like "wait, the Start Menu says I need to install this" and pulls it down again.

Deleting that file both forces Windows to create a true bare-bones default Start Menu of just Settings/Edge/Store, and also prevents these dynamically streaming apps from being pinned and therefore installed and then broken tiled after being manually removed.

Is this something that only happens on like Enterprise (or whatever they're call it now)? I don't recall ever running into any problems like this at all with ads or tiles adding themselves to my Start. No settings being reset through updates either.