Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
For the Search privacy issue: Note that Cortana is uploading the "Basic" diagnostic information mentioned in the privacy settings and downloading a manifest in that screenshot, which is essentially a list of files that it may need in order to work properly. Because it's disabled, it doesn't actually need those files. What probably happened is some engineer figured that since most users will leave Bing turned on, that would be a good time to send the diagnostic information in, since you're going to be making an HTTP request anyway. To keep the code simple, everybody sends in the diagnostic information at the same time, that is, when they use the search bar. It saves lines of code, reduces network traffic for Bing and Cortana users, and eliminates yet another scheduled task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey guys, posted this in the 10 preview thread, but didn't get anywhere with it.

I got the rollout notification, figured "what the hell", backed up my 7 environment, and did an in-place upgrade so I wouldn't have to reinstall all my poo poo.

Everything is working pretty well, still getting used to some of it... but my big issue is this: all of my Start Menu icons are blanks/generics. Any way to rebuild my start menu icons?

The new apps show up fine, but everything else is affected.

Try using Disk Cleanup and selecting Thumbnails, then log out and back in.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

After experimentation, I have determined that if you really, really, really can't stand having any Windows Defender stuff running at all whatsoever, you can disable the services from the Recovery Environment. Of course, you'd have to be a moron or working for one to want to do that. However, if some malware author figures out how to forge code signing certificates and protect his malware from getting killed, you can remove the service that way you're hosed anyway. Hope you've been taking your backups. :byewhore:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

[EDIT: Also I guess this addresses Ryguy005's issue.]

Ooo, that's a rare dialog box.

Upon further review: The certificate the installer was signed with was explicitly revoked (File Properties > Digital Signatures > Details). I don't know if Microsoft broke its certificate database (happened before) or whoever countersigned the publisher's certificate Blew It™ (could happen if someone did bad things under cover of that CA) or what.

Yeah, Admin Prompt/Powershell is a pretty reliable way to do a thing, but whatever happened happened either on the publisher's watch or Microsoft's and definitely wasn't supposed to.

v v v I get the same dialog he got with that file in my Windows 10 Pro environment on that setting.

I think that may also happen for software that Microsoft has tested and found out is very definitely not compatible with Windows 10 and will break horribly and kill your pets. I've had a laptop fall protection driver come up with something similar.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I got a key for Windows 10 Education through DreamSpark Premium. Are there any downsides to upgrading from 10 Pro (using DISM)? Is there some sort of expiration date for the key?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Geemer posted:

I got a free license key for the Education edition through my college's student discount shop and I'm still not entirely sure what the advantages will be over the Pro version I'd get if I just did the upgrade. (Other than obviously having an actual license key and not getting hosed if I ever decide to overhaul my PC in the future.)
Looking at this comparison, it's apparently just Enterprise, but without the option to completely control Windows Updates?

What the gently caress does 'Granular UX Control' even mean? Or Credential/Device Guard? gently caress, what the hell are Windows To Go Creator, BranchCache and AppLocker?

It's not like I'm gonna upgrade before they fix the weird broken poo poo going on right now. I'm fine with Windows 7 for the time being.
By the way, I don't know what y'all are talking about with being forced to update. After reserving my copy I just completely ignored the GWX app and eventually hid the Upgrade to Windows 10 entry from Windows Update once it started showing the button to start the upgrade in there. Hasn't bothered me since, nor has it tried to nag other accounts on the computer to upgrade.

The Education edition is functionally the same as Enterprise. The only real advantage for individuals I see is AppLocker, which allows you to set policies that say which applications are allowed to run or blocked from running. For instance, you can say that no applications should run from users' profiles, which would limit them to running applications that you installed. Later on, they're going to add Device Guard, which prevents applications you don't trust based on their certificates from running. It will use a hypervisor so that if malware does get control of the kernel, it will get erased after a restart. Windows To Go might be useful in edge scenarios; it lets you install Windows on removable media. Other than that, all the extra features are useful for businesses only.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Keep in mind that the policy is, "No Auto-Restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations," If you log out, it's going to restart, regardless of any services you may be running.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

This is a great option. I'd pay a lot of sites a one time fee for ad free browsing. I'm a believer that content creators should be paid, and ads were the way they go about it. I'm kinda sold on an ad blocker though since the creators don't choose what ads are on their site.

I found a "Do not track" option in Edge. Is that similar to a blocker?

Do Not Track is a joke. It puts a header in your requests that says, "Please could you respect my privacy and stop giving me ads for Bad Dragon because I read this thread and your ad server saw the text Bad Dragon there?" Of course, advertisers are completely free to ignore it and try to sell you 24-inch rubber dongs anyway.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The problem is that UEFI Fast Boot delays loading as many drivers as possible until after the OS loads. The more drivers that UEFI loads, the longer it takes to boot. Most people probably won't know how to disable the network drivers in UEFI, and they'll complain that their motherboard isn't as fast as the competitors who have it disabled by default. Why would Microsoft code in a complicated feature that a tiny fraction of their user base would know exists, much less know how to turn it on?

Also, network adapters are one of the most complex drivers because they have to be to handle errors. Better adapters will have better ways of decoding the signals, but the driver will have to handle some of the error correction. Thus, you can't have one "universal" driver. This applies even more to wireless adapters.

True, vendors could store Windows drivers in UEFI, but how many people would take advantage of that feature to justify putting flash memory on the motherboard in addition to all the other components already there?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

Based on 10 seconds of looking at process explorer while clicking the start menu, it's ShellExperienceHost.exe. But that may just be a companion service to explorer. But I'd try killing that guy next time start doesn't work and see.

A side note: you can check in Task Manager as well. In the Details view, right-click the columns, click "Select columns", and check "Package name". Any thing that has something filled in there is a Windows Store app. By default, Search (i.e. Cortana), Windows Shell Experience, and the Store are running. The Start Menu uses both Search and the Windows Shell Experience, and they will be restarted pretty much immediately if you kill them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Karthe posted:

Does Windows 10 Pro still come with the rights to a VM instance of Windows 7/8? Something changed in Powershell between Windows 8 and 10 and I need an instance of 7 or 8 temporarily for some Sharepoint work coming up in the very short-term (basically my scripts produce unexpected output in Windows 10 but NOT in Windows 8).

Microsoft OEM EULA posted:

2. d. (iv) Use in a virtualized environment. This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device, whether that device is physical or virtual. If you want to use the software on more than one virtual device, you must obtain a separate license for each instance.

[...]

7. Downgrade Rights. If you acquired a device from a manufacturer or installer with a Professional version of Windows preinstalled on it, you may use either a Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional version, but only for so long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version as set forth in (aka.ms/windowslifecycle). This agreement applies to your use of the earlier versions. If the earlier version includes different components, any terms for those components in the agreement that comes with the earlier version apply to your use of such components. Neither the manufacturer or installer, nor Microsoft, is obligated to supply earlier versions to you. You must obtain the earlier version separately, for which you may be charged a fee. At any time, you may replace an earlier version with the version you originally acquired.

Emphasis mine. The retail license has these same terms. If you want to use an earlier version with the same license, you must have a prebuilt computer that had a Professional copy of Windows preinstalled, and you have to uninstall Windows 10 first. This doesn't apply to volume license customers.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Important feature for this build:

quote:

Device activation improvements: We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn’t automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings > Update & security > Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup. Refer to the Insider Hub for more information on these activation improvements including requirements.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

God damnit Windows 10! Stop trying to update and restart in the middle of work. :argh:

But that would be reasonable and logical!

(The only way to do this is either to set the time you want it to restart, or disable the Update Orchestrator service, which disables updates entirely.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Or set a policy.

Which policy? The "No auto-restart with logged on users" policy does nothing in Windows 10.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I've never had Windows 10 restart since I enabled that policy.

Or maybe it's that I set auto-download and notify for install in Configure Automatic Updates.

It's restarted on me. Specifically, it woke my laptop up after I closed my lid and restarted despite me having documents open.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Something odd with build 10586.3: I had my onboard NIC, 1394 and Bluetooth Radio all disabled - however Windows 10 has reactivated all of them in the OS and is ignoring the BIOS settings.

This is a full OS upgrade, so it will re-enable all devices. Windows should ignore the BIOS setting because those settings are for preboot only.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

So there are people on ebay selling Win10 Pro keys for $24-30. Is this legit? Not just individuals selling 1 key but people who are selling 100s of keys at this price. If it is legit, where are people getting these keys?

They're almost certainly Software Assurance keys they stole from work or MSDN keys they paid students a few bucks to give them.

ah forget it posted:

Is Enterprise version also supposed to get the fall update through Windows Update?

No. Enterprise gets upgrades through Software Assurance.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Walked posted:

Question is there a way to stop automatic updates (specifically reboots) on 10 Pro? I have obviously googled and gotten some varied responses and some claims that previous methods now don't work.

Basically thinking about updating my workstation to 10, but I run a lot of VMs on it, and I'd really like to avoid forced reboots as a result.

Disable the Update Orchestrator service. This will stop all updates, including Windows Defender definitions. You cannot disable automatic restarts without disabling all updates.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Walked posted:

Does Win10 handle high-DPI scaling any better than 8?

I have a retina MBP, but once windows is installed via Bootcamp it is a freaking shitshow in the sense that "hey, everything is tiny as can be" and I can adjust the scaling to an extent; but random things end up super crazy tiny.

Windows 10 itself handles scaling fine. Old Windows applications might not. I've noticed that Java apps in particular have problems. It's a consequence of Windows having to support almost everything from Windows 95 on, and it will probably only get better as legacy code dies out.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I just discovered the new Environment Variables dialogue, which has been massively improved. I don't think they've changed that in 15 years.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The Update Orchestrator service is what's doing it. It reenables the scheduled tasks that wake up and restart the computer. You have to disable it, which disables updates entirely. It's stupid. No, Group Policy doesn't help.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just deleted everything and hit next without partition and here's what it's telling me:

"Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

DId you select the empty drive and select "Format"?

Disk partitioning screens on OS installation wizards are pretty much universally obtuse garbage.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The only driver issues I would expect would be the forced updates (a fair criticism), or lovely installers that see a 10 in the version instead of a 6 and panic. I have not heard of any major changes to the kernel that would break driver compatibility.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Does this effectively eliminate the need for putty?

In that it provides yet another way to run SSH on Windows? Yes.

If you don't like putty, you could always use Cygwin. SSH works fine with it, and it would be virtually the same experience as Microsoft's approach.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

beuges posted:

Regarding the Linux on Windows feature, does anyone know if :
a) this can coexist with/replace Cygwin completely and seamlessly
and
b) they're planning on integrating an X-Windows client directly into windows so the Linux subsystem can run GUI applications as well as cli ones?

I use an application that currently depends on Cygwin for installing cross-compiling tools, so I don't want to have that break by having the Ubuntu toolset creating conflicts. If I can uninstall Cygwin completely that would be great too, even if it means tweaking the Linux environment a bit.

I'm hoping we'd be able to use mobaxterm or similar for x-windows applications still, but it would be great if windows had an X client built in.

a) Both Cygwin and WSL live in their own private areas. The file system Cygwin sees is separate from the file system WSL sees, and both are separate from the file system Win32 sees. Although all three do have access to the other file spaces, it would take a massively misbehaving user or application to cause any sort of interference (i.e. don't type "rm -rf /" and expect to have a functioning system). Also, Cygwin applications are actually just Win32 applications that use a special DLL. This makes them a bit unique: you can write a Cygwin application that uses both Win32 and Cygwin filespaces, which is impossible for plain Win32 or WSL.

b) You'd need an X server to do that, not a client. The clients are the applications that want to draw to the screen. You should be able to run Cygwin's X server and have the WSL applications draw to it, if you know how to set your shell exports correctly in WSL.

If you want native X support, you're probably out of luck. Windows uses a compositing window manager, which means each application draws itself somewhere in memory, and the window manager puts that drawing somewhere on the screen. X doesn't work that way; it just provides applications with a single screen and lets them draw on that screen. There are ways around it; for instance, you can start up a virtual X instance for each application and have it draw to that, but that's a hacky solution. Native Linux systems have their own window managers that sit between X and the applications and handle compositing, but each distribution does their own thing, and Microsoft probably doesn't want to restrict themselves to Ubuntu. X is a dying protocol, anyway, so why bother putting such effort for a feature most people will see only marginal benefits from when there's already a functional solution?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Don't forget that Microsoft still has to support XP until 2019 due to POSready.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

What, exactly, is not available in 10 that small businesses would care about? The only thing I know about is AppLocker.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

timn posted:

My desktop abruptly shut down and upgraded to Windows 10 despite me declining to schedule it previously, and now I'm having activation issues. I was running Windows 7 Pro with a key I got from an MSDNAA program at my college several years ago. Windows 10 Pro refuses to activate with it saying it's the wrong edition, error code 0xc004f210.

A 3rd-party utility identifies my key as being "Windows 7 All Volume Editions Volume:MAK". Info on the Microsoft website suggests this is an Enterprise edition and I need to go to the Volume Licensing Service Center for help. Attempting that goes nowhere because it wants a business email which I presume is really for whoever at my old school was managing their volume licensing with Microsoft.

So, what the gently caress? Am I completely SOL without paying out of pocket for my own retail key now?

Are you sure it was MSDNAA? Those keys shouldn't be volume license keys.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

timn posted:

Just to close the loop for posterity, I got in touch with Microsoft support. They identified my MSDNAA key as being for Windows 7 Enterprise and generated me a retail Windows 10 Pro key to use instead. Hooray!

They didn't give you Windows 10 Education? That's what I would think you would get from 7 Enterprise with MSDNAA. (It has all Enterprise features, but it has a watermark so the licensing police can tell if you're not licensed properly.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I would guess that the Education version is exclusively for volume licensing agreements.

I got my copy from DreamSpark Premium (what they renamed MSDNAA to), so I don't know.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

plushpuffin posted:

I believe you're thinking of the winsxs directory.

Either that, or SoftwareDistribution.

WinSxS holds all system files, but it also has backups in case you need to revert an update. You can do a full clean with the command "dism /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase". This will delete all the backups and make it so you can't uninstall updates without doing a system refresh.

SoftwareDistribution is the temporary directory for updates. You can shut down all the Windows Update services (Windows Update, Windows Modules Installer, Windows Installer, and BITS) and delete everything in the directory. Then, just restart the services and check for updates to rebuild it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

necrotic posted:

Wait, what? We haven't even gotten an SP for 10 yet... is the anniversary update a "full upgrade" like installing 10? That's loving dumb.

There's already been one of these late last year, from 10240 to 10586. If you didn't notice, that's a sign that Microsoft is doing something right.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

necrotic posted:

Ah, I didn't upgrade until after that release!

Fair enough. If you want to see how the upgrade will work, install a VM with an Insider Preview on it and switch to the Fast Ring. They're updated fairly frequently, and the upgrade process for them is the same as for Windows 10 upgrades.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Im_Special posted:

Does anyone actually have a clean error free Event Log?

Clean installed Win10 on 3 different machines and they all show in the Event Viewer;

Event ID 10016 - The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160} and APPID {9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}

I get that error as well. I have no idea what it is, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Arsten posted:

It will sync your Windows settings and you need one if you end up subscribing to Office 365. Otherwise, there's no particular reason you need one....yet. I'm sure more stuff will come along at some point.

You can use a local account with Office 365. You just sign in when you start the app for the first time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

How about instead of debating this on the Internet, you e-mail Microsoft and ask them?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Regarding Microsoft limiting the policies controlling telemetry to Enterprise:

Can anyone running the preview check if disabling the Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service works? I would guess you can obtain the same results that those policies produced by doing that (except disabling the Store apps entirely, which I doubt very many people actually do or need to do).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Sounds like a good way to get audited.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

How do you go about purchasing Enterprise, anyway? Do you just walk in to a partner's office and say, "I need x copies of Enterprise," or is it more complicated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

hooah posted:

Is the Anniversary Update a staged rollout of some kind? Neither of my computers says it has an update waiting.

Yup. You have to wait for Microsoft to bless you with the upgrade.

Also, the Media Creation Tool hasn't been updated (at least for Education). If you try to use it, you'll just reinstall and delay the upgrade for yourself for a month.