Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Biodome posted:

I have the education edition and checking for updates isn't showing the anniversary update yet. Annoying. Great to hear about Adblock, though!

I'm having the same problem. The Media Creation Tool for Education doesn't seem to be updated, despite the ISOs reportedly being available in the VLSC, and the Updater that pops up for the main Media Creation Tool doesn't work for Education. I guess they don't want to push it out yet. I don't know if it's in DreamSpark Premium, which is where I originally got it, because my classes don't start for two weeks. (The tool does work, but it still downloads 1511.)

Fake Edit: LOL at them calling the rebrand of Pro "Education Pro".

Hapless IT Guy somewhere: "Let's upgrade to Education Pro and get more features! It's even cheaper than Education Standard! I wonder why that is."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Education editions just went live. Download here if you're impatient. (You'll need your product key.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I'm assuming the hacked executables weren't signed, since the attack was against FossHub, not the developers.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

OgNar posted:

Just found something called FLEXnet Connect Software Manager in my startup tab.
Seems to be connected with installshield.
I havent really installed anything lately that would have put it there.
I wonder if it has been there but hidden and the update just made it visible.

That's probably InstallShield's software update service, although mine is just named "Software Updates".

Ironically, PSI, which is owned by Flexera, will detect the updater itself as outdated, because they use an obsolete version of MSXML.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

With UAC on, administrators start out with the permissions of ordinary users. If an application needs to do something that only administrators can do, it needs to ask for permission first or, if it's a legacy app, be launched with administrator permissions. Both cases cause the UAC dialog to appear. This way, malware or misbehaving apps have to go through the user to do harm beyond the user's own account. This applies to any ACL that only gives permissions to the Administrators group, which includes modifying system files and registry entries as well as a list of assorted operations under User Rights Assignments in the Security Policy.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Arsten posted:

Is there a Win64 port? Or is the original Xorg still 32bit?

There's an X server bundled with Cygwin which is 64-bit. I don't know about other servers, though.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The store is how you install extensions for Edge, so there is that use for it.

Edit: Windows has an API that package managers can plug in to so that Powershell commands can find packages. Chocolatey can use that API.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 6, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

If you downloaded the files directly and paid attention, you might have noticed that the files weren't signed. Chocolatey apparently doesn't check signatures.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That said, I expect not supporting layered OpenType from Google and Chrome since they're only dealing with Windows at all to gather users and hopefully drag them away to Android and ChromeOS, but you'd think Microsoft would adopt their own technology in their own browser.

It seems they added colored fonts on Windows two months ago, so it should be in the Developer branch if not the beta by now.

Also, Edge supports colored fonts just fine. However, its default font is not a colored font, and since colored fonts aren't standardized, Web pages would need to specify "Segoe UI Emoji" to get it to work. It's still an easy fix the Edge team hasn't bothered with for some unknown reason.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

If you really hate it, you can disable updates entirely by disabling the services and scheduled tasks, then re-enable them whenever you're ready to update.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

It's both. It gets rolled out in waves so that Microsoft's servers don't die, but you can install it manually from this site.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

There is also a fork of uBlock Origin that is recommended by gorhill. You'll need to enable Development Mode in about :flags to use it, since it's prerelease and not on the Store.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It also uninstalled the VPN software my company uses to work remotely. :toot:

Cisco, by any chance? AnyConnect seems to be really bad with handling Windows upgrades.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I think Cisco actually charges for your work to update the clients. Hence why they have so much trouble with Windows updates.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Maybe invest in a nice mechanical keyboard. They're expensive, but for typists and some gamers, they're a godsend.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Just shut down the update services and disable the scheduled tasks until you are ready to update.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

OgNar posted:

Yes which is what I will do. But seriouslyy though, Hoops for no reason.

You can make a scheduled task that enables and disables the services for you, then set it to trigger when you write an event to the event log, then make a script that writes the event. After that bit of set up, just put the script on your desktop and run it whenever you want to check for updates. You can even give it to non-admin users to let them update it themselves.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

apropos man posted:

It prevents me from accessing my Windows drive from a different OS. I have to reboot into Windows and shut down properly first.

Does anyone know how the other OS (I've only tried it from Linux) knows that the drive is locked and marked as "in use" by Windows? Is there a firmware flag on most hard drives specifically for this purpose? Or does it take advantage of the same flag that prevents you unmounting a drive halfway through a disk write etc.?

NTFS has a flag that says it's mounted. Fast startup doesn't unmount the partition because that would take extra time, and editing a mounted partition in a different OS would make the structures on disk different than those in the kernel image for Windows, which could cause corruption the next time you start. You need to run chkdsk or whatever equivalent Linux has to clear that flag, then Windows should do a fresh boot the next time you start it and see the changes you made.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Fabio Lanzoni posted:

Has anyone here with Windows 10 Education received the anniversary update? It's never showed up in Windows Update for me.

Just use the Education Media Creation Tool. It just needs your product key, and it will upgrade it for you.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

SinineSiil posted:

So this has been happening with increasing frequency lately:

An update gets stuck on 0% and uses up 15-30% of the CPU and it even persists after restarts.

What can do?

This Patch Tuesday was especially hosed. Not even nuking the BITS cache, SoftwareDistribution and CatRoot2 helped. I had to use the Microsoft Update Catalog (that still requires IE for God knows why) and download the update manually. Look for KB3189866.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

They managed to make it worse than Finder. How is that possible?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Didn't it break like every webcam? :v:

Yep. They decided to make a new imaging server so multiple apps can use the webcam at once. Except they only supported uncompressed video.

Most webcams are USB 2.0, which is 480 Mbit/s. In a theoretical ideal situation, a 24 FPS 24-bit 4:2:0 subsampling video with no audio can have 2 megapixels at 480 Mbit/s, which isn't even enough for full 1080p. USB also has extra overhead, so you're talking 720p at best. While that would have been great 10 years ago, nobody nowadays wants a webcam that can't do full HD, so nobody bothers supporting uncompressed video at all unless it's USB 3.0. Which means Microsoft's solution was worthless until they supported compressed video.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 2, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

What does shift do?

If you hold it down while clicking Restart, it brings up the Advanced Startup menu. This obviously has nothing to do with suspend.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

chippy posted:

I just accidentally took ownership of my Program Files directory (I was cleaning up an old drive, stoned, and got them muddled up) . It got about half done before I realised and cancelled it. Windows gave me a dire warning that if it was a mistake, I should re-apply the old permissions immediately. I don't know what they were though, and it was probably a mixture. Have I just hosed my whole world up? Is everything going to poo poo the bed or is this alright?

Permissions are:

Owner: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller

NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller: Full on everything
SYSTEM: Modify on the directory, Full on subdirectories and files
Administrators: same
Users: Read and Execute on everything
ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES: same
ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES: same
CREATOR OWNER: Full

Permissions will be fixed everywhere as soon as you accept the changes, as Windows said. Ownership isn't propagated automatically, unless you clicked the Take Ownership option when you got the Access Denied error (which you might have done). If you did do that, just recursively set ownership of all the directories that come with Windows to TrustedInstaller and all the other ones to Administrators. This will break Steam and other such services somewhat. Pick a different folder to store your games in to fix it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

evilskillit posted:

Try shift-rightclicking on the file? That'll give you an open-with context menu. Is that what you're looking for?

Woah. I never knew there were secret menu options. These are actually pretty useful.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Oh good, they finally fixed the issue with gaming on multiple monitors.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

I'm giving Windows Sonic for Headphones a try, and there's one thing I immediately like:

It only turns on for audio streams with more than two channels.

You would think this would be a pretty simple concept: don't do virtual surround sound if the source is in stereo. Every solution I've tried prior to this has forced it on at all times, which makes stereo sound like garbage.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

NVIDIA drivers do seemed hosed with this update. I haven't had any major problems yet, but I do notice the digital kaleidoscope during a restart right before the system resets, which tells me something's hosed up somewhere.

Also, I got a weird issue where my SD card reader gave Code 10 errors in Device Manager despite working correctly. Reinstalling the root USB hub fixed it, but it was a bit strange.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Good one stop shop for all the places you need to set to disable ads:

https://betanews.com/2017/04/10/disable-ads-windows-10-creators-update/

The important ones are all in the \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager key. Set the DWORDs SoftLangingEnabled, SubscribedContentEnabled, and SystemPaneSuggestionsEnabled to 0 to turn it off. If you do this for the Default hive (the one you load from %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Default\ntuser.dat, not .DEFAULT), you can also disable the pre-installed apps. This is, ironically, more convenient than going through Settings.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My internet works fine, but somethin' ain't right here.

Looks like a missing MUI file. Try running sfc /scannow and see if it fixes things.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dolby Atmos for Headphones is finally available for testing. Sounds pretty drat nice, even with stereo content. Probably gonna spring the money for it ( :| )

I tried it, and it seems to be a more subtle effect than Windows Sonic. Whether it's worth $15 or not over Sonic, I'm not sure yet, but you get a month free to test it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

redeyes posted:

Off hand I'd blame RAMS. The 'creators' update is very minor and no drivers changes should occur.

That's not really a driver. It's part of the Win32 API's kernel interfaces, which certainly would have changed.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

It's worth noting that Ubuntu isn't really bringing anything unique to the table. Unity is dead, Mir is dead, their mobile efforts are dead, Upstart is dead, they can't compete with Red Hat for support, they can't compete with Arch for documentation, and they can't compete with SUSE for administration suites. The only thing they have going for them is ease-of-use, and Linux Mint does that better, so they're basically only useful as an upstream for Mint. And since Mint already has LMDE, they could probably switch over to Debian with some effort.

So if Microsoft bought Canonical, the only value they'd be getting out of it would be for WSL, and they probably know it would end up like SUA if they did that.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Device Encryption is BitLocker with the key stored with a Microsoft account. If you don't want to risk the :nsacloud:, you can switch to normal BitLocker. You can set that to use TPM, a USB drive, or both, plus a hand-printed or saved recovery key. TPM by itself is the bare minimum and doesn't involve any user accounts; as long as you don't touch UEFI setup or the bootloader, it will decrypt automatically.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Windows 10 S is a subset of Windows 10 Pro, just like Windows 10 Home but with different features. It has the same button to upgrade to Pro that Home has. It's basically for bad IHVs making Internet of poo poo devices they will never, ever provide updates for (and college students are a great market for them!).

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Node posted:

The latest W10 update added a yellow ! to Windows Defender, which directs me to Apps and Browser Control, and it says my device might be vulnerable since it is set to Off instead of Warn or Block under Check Apps and Files. Is this something I should set to Block/Warn or is it something like UAC that mostly just gets in the way?

You disabled your antivirus. Of course it's going to warn you.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

AV, yes. UAC, no. Turning UAC off means you're running everything as admin. Even if you live in a magical fantasy world where you are perfect, software will still have bugs worms can exploit. Running as admin means those worms can do anything as opposed to just loving up your user profile. You also can get compromised software that will suddenly need admin access; UAC appearing is a pretty big indicator something is wrong there.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

That exact thing just happened to me. I only have US International, so the icon shouldn't even be there, but it put US regular on until I restarted. It could have been a game for me as well.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Why are you YOSPOSting in a gray forum?

If you read the update, you'll find the answer is, "Use the feedback button, you dolt, and stop trying to make the phone technicians do it for you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Harik posted:

It happens because some people's jobs involve computers doing computations while they're not using them. Rendering, simulations, stress analysis, neural networks all involve setting something up then leaving it overnight to finish. I get where you're coming from - unless I'm doing a full build of android (which can be restarted, anyway) a reboot won't kill me. Unfortunately, it does gently caress up a lot of people's work.

If an important task can't handle being paused and started again, that's the fault of the application developer. That stuff should be done in a service, not in the console.

If you're running important network services that need 99.99999% availability, you shouldn't be running them on Windows 10.