Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is there any kind of fix for Windows 10 never going into sleep mode? Even if I set it to fall asleep after 5 minutes it never does. I ran a couple of google'd diagnostic commands and everything looked normal. (It did work at one time but quit working after some update from the past couple months) It still fails to work even after clean installs.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Is Windows Defender starting to suck? I'm seeing false positives lately on random poo poo from Steam. One a week ago and another one from tonight. The first time I submitted it to some online scanner and everything but Defender said it was clean. It eventually stopped bugging me about it, I guess they removed the false positive. Now it's bugging me about random files from Dota 2, so I verified the game's integrity just to make sure it was clean and it's freaking out when I redownload the files straight from Valve.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

In my personal experience non-responsive taskbar/start menu means your profile is hosed and migrating to a new user account will fix it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah I can't say I've ever had this problem at all. Can't even remember the last time I was prompted to restart because of an update. It just does it all while I'm asleep.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like an outlier in that I never have problems with Windows 10 other than the oversensitive antivirus.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Did tabbed explorer windows not make it in?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like I inhabit some alternate reality where Windows updates go smoothly, Windows never restarts without giving me adequate prompts, and where all the dumb ad poo poo is ignorable and not something that has to be dug out by the roots.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I swear some people have a mental condition when it comes to Windows Update. It's not that big of an inconvenience, just install the updates.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

SUNKOS posted:

Hopefully not a dumb question but on the File Explorer I clicked the 'Network' tab to drop-down and it showed a PC with some kind of unique identifier, and I have no idea what it is or why it's there?

I tried to Google this and how to remove it because it looks like another PC is somehow connected to mine on the network which is bizarre considering I have the setting to 'public' so that the network is considered untrusted and the PC is presumably hidden and unable to connect to other devices. When I click on this PC-G8HF548 (that's the kind of name it has) there's nothing showing in File Explorer but it still struck me as odd and concerning. I can't gather any useful info from right-clicking and looking at properties and when I tried to Google this for answers it just bombarded me with pages and pages of troubleshooting of how to add devices to a network rather than remove them or why they even show up.

Windows 10 is up-to-date and I'm running ESET Smart Security as my antivirus. It just struck me as odd because I did the same setup when using Windows 7 and no other devices ever showed up under the 'Network' tab so I don't know if it's a weird quirk of Windows 10 or if this is something to be concerned about because it's an actual named device that appears to be connected but I'm unable to see any information about?

It's probably your own PC. To check, search for 'Name' on the taskbar and go to 'View This PC's Name'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm sure there are downsides to enabling disk compression otherwise everyone would be using it. There's probably a performance cost. Some games already have pop-in if they're not on an SSD.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's also probably the case that no one has their bonus tied to work done on any of those things.

Notepad and Calculator are probably the absolute last things I'd strip out of Windows if I could.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Try using a different SATA cable before buying a new hard drive.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Having anything on the desktop is haram.

Then what's the point of it existing?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So are we just stuck with Windows 10 forever now? I guess it's basically satisfactory but it also feels like staying on 10 for years is an excuse to drip-feed updates a few at a time. At this rate it'll be 2030 before they complete the control panel to settings transition.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

There's Windows 10X to look forward to, their next (of many) attempts at making Windows into a Chrome OS-competitor. To soften the PR blow, they first announced it as a dual-screen focused OS (which was obvious bullshit from the get-go), but now it's officially their "future Windows".

There doesn't seem to be much information out there but it sounds like a rerun of what they tried and failed to do with Windows 8. I'll pass.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I could never get used to how things look with blue-light reduction. I end up sitting there thinking 'I have this nice screen and now I'm going to spend the next 4 hours with everything looking like garbage'

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Let me get this straight. You've spent $245 and countless hours of painstaking work to repair a motherboard from 2009. That's insane. you could probably have scrounged a replacement motherboard from ebay or something for less than that; hell for $245 you could have bought a NUC or a PC on a stick. The computer is 12 years old, it passed its reasonable functional lifespan a very long time ago. I'm on my 4th PC in that space of time.

My thoughts exactly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The MCT updates every time there is a major release of the OS but it doesn't include the patches released since then. So right now you'd be looking at the patches released since 20H2.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Your computer doesn't need you to micromanage it anymore in general. It's a hard habit to break though for people that have been using Windows for 30 years.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zadda posted:

Is there an (easy) way to find out which application is causing windows to not shutdown/restart?

In the past I used to get to see the icon of the application when it showed the message "this app is preventing shutdown", but now if it happens it shows a generic icon so I have no idea which one is at fault.

thanks!

Run "powercfg /requests" as administrator on the command prompt.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I don't like this

I'm still made they removed the classic theme and there's no way of briinging it back.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Windows 11's marketshare on Steam actually declined a little bit from last month which surprises me.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

So what’s the trick to getting Windows 10 to stop nagging me about logging it into a Microsoft account?

In fact, any guide for how to completely disable all telemetry would be welcome. I don’t feel like giving them every click I make or every character I type.

There's a program called O&O Shutup10 that can make various tiers of changes to privacy-related things, some of which aren't handled by half-dozen options you get at OS install. I think it works on Windows 11 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Having drives assigned to A: and B: is harmless but it's a pretty good sign you need help from someone more knowledgable because I can't think of a good reason you would have done that.