Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm not really sure what they were thinking with Edge. Like, I want to use it and it has some neat features, and the speed seems noticeably improved from IE 10/11.

At the same time it doesn't support any extensions, which renders it unusable for me.

It also looks like my weird domain issues aren't an isolated occurrence.

Edge is unfinished, that's why. It was supposed to launch with extension support which would have been completed around the time Windows 10 was originally supposed to launch, in October. That all had to be scaled back and added in later because Microsoft wanted to catch the back to school and college kids audience which is why it got released at the end of July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the SSD thread, but I just ordered a new SSD that's due to arrive tomorrow and I wanted to ask if I'd be correct in thinking that I should disconnect my current HDD leaving only the SSD connected, do a fresh installation of Windows 10 on the SSD and then reconnect the HDD to transfer any files I want to keep to the SSD?

I know there's migration tool software but I'd prefer to have a completely clean installation of Windows 10 if at all possible, without losing any of my documents and the like.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

nielsm posted:

Have you done the in-place upgrade dance yet? If you use Win 7, 8 or 8.1 currently and want to use the free upgrade, you currently need to do an in-place upgrade to get your machine marked as eligible for Windows 10.
If you have already done that, or you have a retail Win 10, go ahead with your suggestion, it sounds like the right thing.

If you'd prefer to not do an in-place upgrade at all you can otherwise try getting the ISO for a recent Insider Build version, can't remember the exact build number. But it will accept a Win 7, 8 or 8.1 retail key and get a Win 10 license from that. Just keep in mind that it's then a beta build you're running and there's some extra telemetry forced on.
That feature should appear in a proper update some time soon, though.

Yeah I've got Windows 10 already. Insider build actually, so I figured using the Media Creation Tool to install it to USB and then install from that onto the SSD when it arrives.

It shouldn't be deactivated either, right? That only happens when you switch your motherboard?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

On top of battery use, it also means you gain a nice new permanent file on your system disk that's the same size as your RAM. If you have a lot of RAM in a computer with a smaller SSD as the system disk that's a problem. I'm running 32GB of RAM with a 120GB SSD. Enabling hibernation means over a quarter of my disk is gone.

I've kind of found that Windows boots faster if I disable fast boot because I've got an SSD. Only by a few seconds, but still. I only really see the use for fast boot if you have Windows installed on a non-SSD.