Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Am I missing something?
I have the firewall disabled and it downloads updates just fine. Are people with problems disabling the service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

For the "I use .. erm .. Windoes?" demographic, this is basically the only way they will ever upgrade their OS.
Anyone more competent can just, I dunno, press no?

Not quite sure on the pushback on making upgrades easier, or the option to do so more apparent.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The call process takes about 5 minutes and it's free and painless. The source for most of those eBay keys is stickers from dumped hardware, inspired by this I grabbed an OEM key from some old office hardware and upgraded myself from home to pro effortlessly.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Does anyone else have the thing where numlock is turned on by default in the BIOS, but the moment Windows loads it gets turned off?

I've had this issue since technical preview.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If you hit "create installation media to upgrade another PC" I'm pretty sure you're left with a static USB that won't need to redownload anything; I used the same one on multiple machines without issue. Perhaps if it hits a CRC error it silently voids the USB?

Create USB > reboot > install is the easiest method of getting a clean install.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What do you mean by this?

You generally get less out of exploits on 64bit systems. Address Space Layout Randomization, always-on hardware DEP, kernel patch protection and forced driver signing make the system more robust to buffer overflows and rootkits.

It's mostly a "cost" problem; it takes more effort and more novel exploits to hit 64bit systems, slightly tilting the arms race in the favour of regular patching.

It seems malware authors are catching up now though, given their only options are 64bit for the majority part.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Right, but we're talking win 32 vs win 64, so whether something is actually implemented is more relevant than arguing whether it could be or not.
I personally think hardware DEP for all processes is better than software opt-in which could theoretically be toggled off by some malware to allow further exploitation, but yeah in theory it's been around a while.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DeaconBlues posted:

I spent the best part of three hours this afternoon trying to set up a VPN on my mother's brand new Windows 10 installation. The idea was that I'd use the VPN to pop some mkv/mp4 downloads into her Plex watch folder. She's getting an OLED TV on Thursday and pretty excited about it.

After twatting about with Win 10 firewall and port forwarding 1723 and 47 I gave up. Should I just set up a SpiderOak account for her and use that to sync my movie download directory with her Plex folder? I don't fancy using Dropbox for commercially available stuff. I'm about 4 miles away from her place and use only Linux boxes on my local net.

Bittorrentsync is probably what you want. SyncThing is an opensource alternative that's a little awkwarder to use in practice.
Both go crossplatform with no issues. Both auto-nav across firewalls and include encryption.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm really liking BitTorrent Sync. I've got a movie directory shared between two machines in the house and also updating with my mother's PC whenever she turns it on. It uses local traffic automatically for 'in house' transfers too, which is nice.

Does anyone know if the external (WAN) torrent traffic is subject to ISP's knowing what is being sent? I use a VPN so I'm alright, but I wouldn't want my mother getting an email via Hollywood. Is BitTorrent Sync traffic less easy to identify than a torrent swarmed from Kickass Torrents or ThePirateBay?

You get those letters not from someone doing deep packet inspection (wouldn't work anyway), but from someone simply joining the swarm and logging all the IPs they see send a chunk. The contents of what you're sharing can't be distinguished from, well, anything else that might be there (any file backups, etc).
They could identify the protocol but that's about it. You might still suffer traffic shaping, but they can't send you a letter for simply using the protocol.

You can test it with/without a VPN to see which way yields a better speed.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

Theoretically, no.

Practically, yes.

The Refresh seems to have hosed drivers sometimes because ???.

Does anyone have a clear answer to this? Hitting 'reset my PC' and choosing to keep nothing absolutely does not keep nothing; it seems many (all?) drivers are kept. Three devices on my brother's laptop which aren't available from windows update + the Catalyst control centre were all revived intact.
It seems less a "clean" install than it is a verified-working base state.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Calc is currently version 10.1512.54020.0
That's certainly something.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Lowtechs posted:

Welp I had to :pt: because the start menu would not work any more tried all the on line tips then tried to create a new account but just got that spinning thing on add user that went on for an hour.

Are you using a 3rd party AV? I don't know the exact mechanism, but something about how a lot of them load up and hook in seems to break the start menu. There's pages of threads of people removing their AV and the start menu starts working again.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's because System Restore is depreciated. Reset My PC works better.

Far from being depreciated, it is actually a central option in "reset my PC".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Crashplan is great because even on their free tier, you can do a 3-2-1 backup using a friend / families computer as an offsite backup, and can seed this with an external drive really easily.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is there actually a search replacement that's actually good?
Win 10 search makes me yearn for the days of Google desktop.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Everything works well, thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't do content searches but I guess I can just rely on windows for that when I need it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cycleback posted:

I am just considering general usage to avoid malware and such. My impression is that it also makes removing programs later cleaner. Is this correct?

Sandboxing the browser is a good idea, and a good use of SB. It only makes "clean" uninstalls better if you only install the program into a sandbox, which is often less reliable than sandboxing an already installed program.
I've installed otherwise garbage apps into SB before to perform the one function I wanted and it's definitely a better idea than just installing every bit of shareware you find normally.

It runs fine on Windows 10, it's fully supported.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

cycleback posted:

(a) Can you expand on why it is less reliable than sandboxing an already installed program?

(b) Do you mean just standard Windows updates require sandboxie to be uninstalled and then reinstalled? That sounds like a pain.

(a) It can sometimes just not work. In particular if the program tries to create or call services, or has any reliance on program components that need to load at startup, or services that relate to copyprotection / licensing.
So for example, winrar, a torrent program, air or java apps will work well installed into it, but a VPN program, Photoshop or Office probably won't.
If your program is already installed, it's just sandboxing the process and most things will work.

It's a good way of keeping your system clean if you have to grab some scrubby shareware from somewhere that you'll probably use once.

(b) No, but yeah. OS upgrades are likely to break it (7 > 10 or 8.1 > 10) but updates probably not. Though a couple have in the past.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

At a basic logical level, by using a tool like that you're essentially saying you've evaluated all the evidence, and have concluded poster "10se1ucgo" is a better arbiter of your privacy than Microsoft. Why then would you trust Microsoft at any level, and run their closed source OS?

I don't subscribe to the logic that using an OS you think is literally spying on you for gain (re: current Win10 hysteria) is made safe by flipping some booleans from "spy" to "no I totes will not" would be a good idea.
I'm saying if you think that tool essential, you should also conclude that the OS itself can't ever be trusted.

I think the hysteria is dumb and lots of people are trying to whip it up for clicks or to sell tools.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

spanko posted:

Am I not finding the option or is there no way to setup automatic system image backups to an external (USB) drive in Windows 10? I do a manual backups for myself but this is for a paranoid person who is bad at computers. If this isn't possible in Windows 10 can anyone recommend a free or cheap, easy to use backup to external drive solution? It needs to be a full system image backup and automatic/scheduled.

If you actually just want to use the Win 7 tool, you can find 'backup & restore (Windows 7)' in the control panel. It allows scheduling, and can include system images.
Macrium reflect is the default recommendation, though incremental backups are a paid feature. Differential are free though, if you can live with that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

The free version of crashplan can do that, and then if they ever want to pay for cloud backup in the future it'd be nice and easy

Crashplan is superb, but doesn't disk image.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TopherCStone posted:

My start menu basically works, but searches still take ages. I used to think that was because my only Windows machine was an ancient laptop, but now that I have a new computer with a fast processor, gobs of RAM, and an SSD it's still way too slow.

Welcome to modern windows search; useful for nothing, particularly searching.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

redeyes posted:

Been using Everything search for years now. How the gently caress can MS have their search engine be so broken and slow. Un-loving-real!

Everything is cool, but it's not hard to understand why something that indexes the file contents is more complex than something that just reads NTFS filenames.
That said it's still possible for this to actually be achieved and their attempt is lovely and weirdly unreliable. The lack of any exposed options is really the problem; it forever says it's indexing but I could happily tell it no recent changes need to be indexed if it'd just expose a way of setting that.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

fishmech posted:

It'd actually be pretty surprising to have missing Windows 10 drivers for things that shipped with Vista. A machine that shipped with XP only when Vista was around sure, because that often meant no drivers were made past XP at all for one or more core components.

But Vista drivers are near 100% compatible with 7 and almost always work with Windows 10 as well - hell I got a pre-Vista IBM PC working with Windows 10 primarily with Vista and 7 drivers.

Huge numbers of mobile radeon / old nVidia chips [vista era] haven't been given Win 10 drivers. Trying to use the old ones anyway can sometimes work but may break external displays and such.
If it's some built in Intel chip it'll probably just pull something from Windows Update and be fine.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The problem with that is there's at least a 2-3 year period after the release of any particular architecture that you're still finding the older one in budget or mid-range laptops. I last bought a laptop in 2010 and remember a lot of budget machines were still shipping with DX9 chipsets.

The second problem is that even if there's a Vista driver, it's probably buggy in Win10. Take any of those cards you're talking about, and google them + windows 10 and you'll find heaps of issues.

I guess this all means nothing anyway and the solution is to just look and see.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

being in Program Files is a good way to break games because games do dumb poo poo like take their mods or even save to their operating directory and this doesn't play well with the program file protection imposed on Program Files.

Don't install Steam in Program Files.

Really don't think this has been an issue since pre-SP1 vista; changes to program files happened so long ago that just about everything knows it needs to get permissions and does so.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Do you have examples? I haven't seen the behaviour you're describing in basically forever. Steam guy is for sure performing a workaround without first gauging whether there's even a problem; I guarantee the overwhelming majority of users install in the default location and never have an issue.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Never turned it off, pal.
You have something wonky there then, because if you are running a standard account and run the tool, it prompts for admin rights under UAC and works fine.
(Unless this is new behaviour since TH2, where I did exactly the above to upgrade some family PCs)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The sticker looks genuine, if that's your question?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

MediumWellDone posted:

Hi, would someone mind helping me out?
I currently have Win7 installed on my computer and am planning to buy a new MOBO and CPU before upgrading to Win10. My current install is an upgrade from Vista. Would it be possible to do a clean install of Win10 from a bootable USB and the above link using my Vista->Win7 upgrade key as the product key? Or should connect my Win7 installed SSD to the new MOBO and do an in-place clean install?

Try using the key installing into a VM that's not connected to the internet. If you get past it, just ditch out then do a clean install. That's the quickest/safest way I can think to test it. I can't think why it wouldn't work, but MS licensing is a hot mess so who knows.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Cyberghost, and it's on my home desktop, nothing to do with my workplace at all.

Don't use free VPNs. You are the product, blah blah blah.

e: This includes any VPN with a free tier, too, as you are essentially beholden to the same EULA even if you pay and they stop throttling / showing ads.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Okay, but I have 11 months left on a subscription as it was half price, so I'd quite like to fix it.

Seems they do a poo poo load of filtering / block particular services based on the server its on (torrents / P2P) based on protocol inspection so at a guess, they're not allowing those connections for some reason. Possibly a false positive, possibly "protecting you from tracking".
The issue isn't Windows [10] but a bad VPN.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Manky posted:

Use ninite to install it, as mentioned. I think I've used the normal installer recently and it didn't forcibly install crapware, but I'm not 100% on that because I do normally use ninite.

This is the answer. Ninite pull programs if there's no way to completely opt out of crapware.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

There's some baffling bugs and inconsistencies left over that have been somewhere between irritating and downright painful to deal with, but I'm actually mostly okay with 10. Having Pro helps, since I don't get the "we're restarting now, gently caress you" and instead get to tell it to restart at a more convenient time in the future. I imagine if I had Home, I'd be livid after the first time it just decided to restart.

It doesn't do this, on home it will suggest a time to restart but you can defer the restart for a number of days.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bieeardo posted:

A friend of mine is still on XP, and my housemate (a loving technical writer, of all things) probably would be if I didn't tell her flat-out that it wasn't available for her new machine.

Said friend refuses to upgrade unless C&C Generals will run under 10 (which it apparently will, thank God), and believes that responsibility for securing an OS is passed on to antivirus providers when the manufacturer stops supporting it. I don't enjoy doing tech support for him.

Gaming wise 10 > 8.1=7
They all perform within a margin of error, but 10 will get DX12 and push it ahead.

I can tell you that all C&C games run on 10, but you need to do manual config edits for widescreen in Generals.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does Tiberian sun and RA2 run on 10? I know on 8 they were pretty broken.

A Google-search has people clammering for a fix + posting workarounds, but I have played RA2 + expansions on Win 10 having done nothing than set the resolution in the .ini, so YMMV. The various 'fixes' look merely like a way to force a certain display resolution/buffer so this may have been solved in driver patches since those posts were up.

If it matters the versions working for me all come from the 'First decade' collection.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Don't use beta software if you don't like bugs. It's not something for nothing.
I'd be more than tempted to just do a reset / clean install if I was trying to go back from the preview builds.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Was page 74 glitching out for anyone else? This page is much better.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

It wasn't glitching out. Firefox just doesn't handle the new ability to embed tweets very well. Pressing ALT+D then Enter after the page finishes loading will move you where you should be.

I'm using Chrome. But it does seem to be embedded tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm not going to effort post this, but most of the privacy stuff around 10 is complete horseshit. If you read the EULA of any major OS / web service with the same sceptical eye as 10's you would make all the same conclusions. The only reason people think 10 is literally the stasi is because "10 ways Windows 10 steals all your data, you won't believe number 6!" gets clicks. "Web search EULA includes terms that let it send your search to a webserver" just isn't a clickbait draw enough.

That said it probably talks too much out of the box. You can however turn it all off and they make it a required action to choose either way during install. They're pretty transparent. One of the major myths around Win 10 upgrades is any of this being 'secret'. It's not. They [being lovely tech blogs] deliberately use vague terms to make it seem like a more credible threat.