Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mak0rz posted:

I'd love to consolidate everything because I really hate being dependent on two separate services like this, and always have.

I've been in a similar situation but unless something's changed recently and I hadn't heard about it, Google contacts and calendar events still do not sync properly with other services. Google has no interest in compatibility as far as I've seen, and even their little syncing app for desktop Outlook seems to be deprecated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Win10 ones may have improvements to make them work, I haven't tried those yet. The Win8 calendar definitely didn't, the mail app did but had some weird quirks that I can't remember off the top of my head.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, I already did. It's all apps, though. VLC, YouTube on Firefox, the built in movie player, etc.

Any time I've had weird volume bullshit in Windows, it was because of the setting where Windows reduces volume if it detects "communication activity". Try disabling that (Control Panel -> Sound -> Communications tab).

isndl
May 2, 2012
If I remember right, the Windows disk cleanup utility will give you the list of things you can clean up but not all of it is checked off/selected by default. Maybe you hit 'clean' without actually selecting those temp files for deletion?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I can confirm that you'll never get the popups asking you to upgrade to Win10 if your firewall stops GWX from accessing the internet. Not sure how that works if you've already agreed to updating, though.

Is there a way to allow updates to be downloaded but not force a reboot yet? I'm OK with Windows Update doing downloads in the background during downtime, but I don't want to be pressured into rebooting when I have a bunch of stuff open. All the research I've done doesn't seem to indicate that's an option at all, with deferred updates still allowing critical updates through (and presumably forcing the reboot) and 'notify to schedule' still expecting you to put a hard time down for the reboot. I just want to have it download stuff and tell me it's ready to go for when I do decide to reboot, why is that too much to ask?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I don't know what you mean by 'a bunch of stuff'.

I say "a bunch of stuff" because that's about as detailed as I can be when I'm using a general purpose computing device for anything and everything. Sometimes I have a half dozen documents up, other times a stack of instant messaging windows. I might leave a window open as a soft reminder to deal with something that's not immediately time sensitive. I have apps to log things while I'm AFK. For a while I had a bot I wrote for a game I was playing. Any number of things.

A few months back I was dealing with stability issues involving a failure to resume from idle (which never threw errors for the error log and could only be fixed by disabling the "Turn off display after" setting because ???) and the data loss from that was really frustrating. I made changes to my workflow that mitigates it somewhat but just having to reopen everything I had up before sucks, let alone trying to piece together whatever I was working on before the reboot. Not everything I use can launch back into the exact same state it had prior to being closed.

I'm not opposed to updates, but I want the reboots to happen on my own terms. If Microsoft could figure out how to make updating feasible without reboots that'd be perfect but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

isndl
May 2, 2012

MikusR posted:

Exactly. Thats why they use the shortcut on desktop for internet/word/solitaire.

Is that really that different from the full-screen start menu though? Unpin the stuff they don't use, pin the ones they do, and now they have nice giant buttons for exactly what they want. It'd be functionally the same except they hit the Start button instead of minimizing open windows.

isndl
May 2, 2012

IAmKale posted:

What's going to happen when I turn off Insider Preview builds? I've been having network issues that manifest as intermittent, minutes-long periods of a sudden inabilty to connect to the internet. Ping fails, DNS can't resolve, I can't even ping the router. Meanwhile everything else on the network works fine and connects to the internet without any issues. I've tried updating the drivers for the ethernet adapter, but the problem still persists. The only thing that's really changed on my machine is the latest Insider Preview - before that I never experienced issues like this.

How's your network set up? I get the same type of issue ever since I switched to using powerline adapters, and have to work around it by having a ping -t pointed at the router to prevent it from happening more than once a month or so.

isndl
May 2, 2012
From what I've read, there is an official Microsoft utility for Win10 to force-disable problem updates from installing. It's a separate download from the Microsoft site though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

taqueso posted:

I upgraded a Win7 machine to Win10. Now I have no network access. This PC has 3 Ethernet ports and they are all acting the same - when I try to diagnose the connection, it says 'local area connection doesn't have a valid IP configuration'.

The network was working fine before Windows 10 and works if I boot from an Ubuntu livecd.

Thanks for any advice.

Possibly relevant - virtual box is installed but the bridge networks seem to have been removed during the upgrade.

I think I remember seeing something before about incorrect network drivers being used post-upgrade. Try downloading correct ones on another machine and transferring them over.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Khablam posted:

Just wanted to say, if the game is available on steam you should be able to 'buy' it by just entering the CDkey, and it will be added to your steam account. No loving around necessary.

Doesn't this only work for old Valve games? When did third-party titles get that kind of support?

isndl
May 2, 2012

fishmech posted:

This probably means that your hardware isn't compatible, or something was misconfigured so that it wasn't detected as compatible (for instance, I have an old Core 2 Duo laptop that the updater refused to accept as compatible because something had gone weird in the 7 install so it thought there was no NX bit support. After I had to reinstall 7 on it due to a hard drive failing, the new install started alerting for upgrade right away).

My desktop never popped upgrade notices, I believe due to some aggressive firewall policies that meant the GWX app was never able to phone home. Entire build was made with new hardware circa ~2013 so it shouldn't have been a hardware compatibility issue.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Microsoft puts way too much effort into maintaining backwards compatibility with older apps to shoot themselves in the foot by making UWP mandatory. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Morter posted:

Time for another dumb question:

Back when I was using win7, and had an HDD primary drive, I'd leave my computer on all the time, and I was used to things like virus scans and maintenance being done overnight.

Now that I have an SSD, I don't mind shutting down, but now I'm wondering if I have to do things like trimming, scanning, and so forth manually? Or is there a recommended way to get such things going so I don't have to really think about them again?

If your computer is merely asleep, scheduled tasks can be configured to wake the PC as necessary.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Morter posted:

No I mean full shutdowns nightly.

Or is nightly sleep-modes more preferable, with the occasional reboot?

You can set all your power buttons etc. to default to triggering sleep instead of shut-down, so the only real difference is whether you care about the tiny bit of power consumption it'll continue to use during sleep mode. Given that you're on a desktop, the answer is probably no.

I'm sure there's a way to automate turning on your PC from full shut-down to install updates and such, but it's way too much of a pain in the rear end to bother. Just stick to using sleep mode with scheduled tasks and it can manage itself. Or leave the PC on, just because you have a SSD doesn't mean you have to shut down nightly.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Morter posted:

It's my first one so I wanna make it last :ohdear:

Modern SSDs are good for years of use even assuming you write a hundreds of gigabytes daily (which you won't as a home user unless something has gone terribly wrong). Don't worry about it.

isndl
May 2, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

So I started using dual monitors because of the olympics, and everytime I come back from the computer sleeping or the lock screen being up the windows are resized and moved. Are there any window management + desktop software or options I can tick so this stops happening? It's pretty annoying.

I'd start by checking your graphics driver settings. It might be your second monitor doing something funky and not sending a "I still exist" signal, but more likely it's the result of your GPU drivers trying to do something fancy like ultrawide desktop resolutions or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Win10 did its forced reboot thing yesterday and now the Mail app force-closes after being open anywhere from four to ten seconds. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I had that happen with Groove on my oldest machine except it closed instantly. Wasn't able to fix it but the thing is basically an expensive file server so... eh. Do Store apps have Event Log equivalents?

I think this is it? "Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1 failed with error: Access is denied. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information."

Seems like poo poo is broken across the board though. My event log has the same error for Cortana, CloudExperienceHost, ContentDeliveryManager, Messaging, WindowsStore, CommsPhone, Photos, etc. 39 app errors logged in the last hour, 790 in the last 24 hours, 1093 in the last 7 days.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Sometimes I start typing on my SP3 and Win10 will pop up a toast saying 'screenshot saved' and clicking the toast will bring me to the screenshot of my currently open windows. I'm not attempting to take a screenshot, and I haven't hit any modifier keys that might lead me to suspect I'm hitting a shortcut (ctrl, alt, win, etc.). It's happened three or four times now and I'm typing too fast to figure out which keys correlate to the screenshot being triggered, but I know that I never had this happen on Win8. Anyone knows what gives? Using a stock Type Cover if that matters, the touchpad is automatically disabled because a mouse is connected.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Flagrama posted:

I know that if you hit print screen it will save a screenshot. You're not accidentally hitting that key? Maybe the take screenshot option in the Xbox app might have something to do with it as well.

I can't be accidentally hitting the key because this keyboard doesn't have a Print Screen button. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012

phosdex posted:

Then I would guess it's some special hotkey for surface pros. A search says one is fn-win-spacebar. Maybe you're hitting that?

Tried it, seems to be something different as that shortcut dims the screen for a second instead of popping up a toast notification. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Twibbit posted:

are you double clicking your eraserbutton on the surface pen?

Definitely not, the pen is sitting off to the side since I'm using my SP3 as a temporary desktop replacement. In any case, double-clicking the pen button dims the screen for the screenshot and then opens OneNote, without the toast notification that these random screenshots have.

e: One clue might be these random screenshots being saved to OneDrive\Pictures\Screenshots while regular screenshots go to Users\Pictures\Screenshots?

e2: Apparently the app Microsoft uses to sync OneDrive has a feature to automatically push screenshots to your OneDrive folder, but that feature keys off the PrintScreen button which I don't have. :confused:

isndl fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 22, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012

Saukkis posted:

That function seems to be behind Fn+Space on Surface Pros.

Cool, this looks like exactly the effect. Still don't know what's triggering it since it's near impossible to be fat-fingering it (I've typed entire phrases or sentences before the screenshot hits as is evidenced by the screenshots themselves, at least half the time I'm pretty sure my next keypress is going to be Enter), but now I know what to try and look for next time it happens. Thanks.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Alright, so it turns out if I'm typing fast enough, I can trigger the screenshot by hitting N + S + Spacebar in succession. For example, I hit a screenshot when typing 'turns out' in the previous sentence. :iiam:

e: 'AB ', 'SN ', 'DM ', and 'F, ' all trigger it, but mixing it up for something like 'AN ' or 'SM ' or 'DB ' doesn't. Something to do with the tracing of the keys maybe? :psyduck:

isndl fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 23, 2016

isndl
May 2, 2012
Yeah I'm aware of n-key rollover, but I haven't run into any modern keyboard that didn't simply drop the key when hitting the rollover. And it was looking like the Type Cover handled rollover pretty well too, if I use the double-Shift test I only lose the X out of the standard alphabet.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you tried swapping the keyboard? It might just be faulty.

Probably the only real solution, but I'm like a year out of warranty and a new Type Cover is pretty steep. I can probably work around the issue by disabling automatic screenshot pushing in OneDrive anyways.

dpbjinc posted:

Maybe invest in a nice mechanical keyboard. They're expensive, but for typists and some gamers, they're a godsend.

Find me a mechanical keyboard as portable as the Type Cover for use with a Surface Pro and I'll do it. :allears:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Kazy posted:

I've got an old type cover 3 if you're interested in buying it for cheap. It's a warranty swapped one that I only used for a few months before upgrading to the one with the fingerprint reader.

Traveling right now so it's hard for me to get a delivery. Thanks for the offer though. :)

In other news, trying to troubleshoot why all the Metro apps are failing, and it seems that application packages no longer have permissions to use the WindowsApps folder. After manually adding that back, the mail app now fails to start instead of crashing after being open for a short time. :confuoot:

isndl
May 2, 2012
Everything exploded and now anything that uses the new app model is hosed. This includes things like the Start Menu and Settings app. File Explorer works until I right-click anything, Control Panel is fine until it tries to kick me into the Settings app.

One desktop app is telling me that it can't write to a C:\Users folder, which is weird but everything looks correct at a glance and I don't think I touched anything there. I'm just going to suck it up and do a refresh, which I didn't want to do because I'd have to reinstall apps. Luckily I can still log in for the BitLocker recovery key since there's no way to initiate the refresh from inside Windows right now.

isndl
May 2, 2012

dud root posted:

Is there a way to keep the File Explorer pinned to the taskbar? It gets replaced with the window it opens making it hard to launch another file explorer (an extra right click but still)

My old school method is to create a custom toolbar that has a shortcut to My Computer or wherever. Also works for any other program you sometimes need multiple instances of.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Well, simply refreshing Windows didn't fix all the issues I was having, as the Store was completely gone for some reason and manually installing it through PowerShell wouldn't make it work. Error log still had a ton of random events occurring. Guess I'm doing a full reset.

Everything was running fine until the forced update reboot hit too. :mad:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I dunno, if it was my desktop I could point to all sorts of unusual customizations but I've been leaving my tablet mostly stock to avoid this sort of thing; I don't want my only PC out of commission while traveling. All I know is that apps were working, reboot happened, apps stopped working, attempted fixing was only a partial fix until it broke worse and refresh didn't fix it completely. :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012
So after a full reset the notifications button is to the right of the clock instead of to the left, what gives? Doesn't appear to be any way to move it.

I also have a mysterious 'defaultuser0' in my user folder and some quick googling says it's caused by the Anniversary update. Thanks, Microsoft.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Jewel Repetition posted:

So I just got this mouse with Windows 10:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D68ZVY8/

And I like it's because it's probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever used in my life. But that blue windows logo button just brings up the start menu. Is there a way to hack that button to do something less completely useless?

Some quick Googling says the blue button is treated as hitting the Right Windows key, so remapping that button in Windows should let you do whatever it is you want. A lot of keyboards don't even have a Right Windows key anymore so you might not be able to hit that key otherwise.

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So how do you prevent windows 10 from restarting while you are typing and using a computer with no warning dialogue box?

Seems like a really easy fix.. if typing restart = no

If you disable the reboot task in the task scheduler, Windows will say it's going to restart in the action center but never actually reboot. Good for letting you choose when to allow it to happen.

isndl
May 2, 2012

quote:

In the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, we added active hours and improved the control capabilities for our customers.

Who actually thinks the Anniversary changes to updates made things better? :raise:

Enterprise, maybe? Home users certainly got hosed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I've been using it and it's been working fine for me. Are you sure you disabled the Reboot task under the UpdateOrchestrator tab and not something under the WindowsUpdate tab?

See this guide to double check and make sure you're not missing anything. I just used the first hit on Google but it looks to be approximately what I did originally.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Something keeps disabling AdBlock in Edge; is there any way of telling what? About the dodgiest site I go on is mangareader, so I'm at a loss. Defender and Malwarebytes are turning up nothing.

Quick Googling suggests this is because Edge won't automatically run 'unrecognized' extensions. I assume you're using a beta build which is not signed or whatever it is Edge expects.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Walked posted:

Here's one:

Wherever I leave my computer locked; about 30% of the time when I come back to it, the lock screen will either display black with a cursor only, OR the background image but no password prompt. Re-locking or typing the password blind is a no-go.

I've reinstalled windows, updated drivers, checked event logs and nothing.

I'm leaning hardware, possibly motherboard as I've had other issues with this motherboard, but open to thoughts.

I use this for with daily so I do need a stable system that I can leave locked.

Any thoughts?

I had a very similar issue on my desktop (Win8.1, would intermittently have the black screen with cursor when resuming from idle,, never had the background image version). My best guess from digging around was that it's caused by the GPU getting dropped to a low power state when the PC goes idle and failing to resume later without any errors logged, and the only effective workaround I found was to disable something in the power settings (I think it was the 'turn off display after x minutes' but I could be wrong).

PerrineClostermann posted:

But it is set to system managed.

You have processes using unusual amounts of memory and you should figure out which one(s) it is. There's very likely a memory leak on a long-running app somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

ufarn posted:

Why do my sound mixer levels keep changing?(!!!)

By default Windows does this thing where it adjusts volume when it 'detects communications activity'. Are you getting the issue when running Teamspeak/Skype/etc.?