Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lum posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Win10 tablet/hybrid machines being sold with only 2GB RAM, such as the Asus Transformer Book series.

Am I right in thinking that Win10 with only 2gb is going to be utter poo poo and I should be looking at 4gb minimum?

Obviously depends what you're gonna use it for. I picked up a T100 and I haven't had any issues having 6-10 Chrome tabs, Vsphere Client (with two or three console views up), Visio and Skype running all at once. I'm pretty impressed, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hooah posted:

For some reason, every time I wake up my laptop, the Realtek HD Audio Manager icon shows up in my system tray. I don't use it much, so I hide it behind the ^. Any idea why it forces itself to show up when the laptop wakes?

I just set it to not start in Task Manager's statup tab. It doesn't do poo poo other than give me notification that I plugged something in, so no great loss.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nielsm posted:

Speaking of lock screen issues, my small tablet that was upgraded from 8.1 to 10, sometimes when I push the hardware Start button to bring it back from sleep, I just get a black screen. Backlight is clearly on, but nothing gets displayed. Windows also shows the little "touch trails" if I try to use the touchscreen.
But if I then pull out a Bluetooth keyboard, already paired to the tablet, and press Ctrl-Alt-Del, I get the unlock screen.
Happens a few times a week.

Yeah, I get this sometimes on my T100. Annoying, but it doesn't happen too often.

My only other issue with W10 is that it doesn't like FreeNAS' SMB. I don't think it's ever shown up in Network. If I browse to \\server it works sometimes, but other times it'll just not find it. \\server.local seems to always work. I have no idea, it's probably just as much a FreeNAS\samba issue.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

Good troubleshooting

They're both definitely set to 'WORKGROUP' but it just doesn't seem to appear in Network ever. Lately it's been responding to just its hostname fine so..knock on wood, I guess. I did notice its hostname was appended with .local (but NETBIOS was just the main hostname) so I changed that.

I upgraded my desktop to Win10 last night. Went fine, everything seems to work (aside from one game needed DX9 reinstalled to stop causing access violations when launching). Also my Bluetooth dongle actually works in W10, I could never get it to connect to anything in 7, so that's a nice bonus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

how do i get rid of this auto-flight-awway mode thing. i'm using a desktop.

I uhh..almost want to say that's some vendor software and not something that came from Microsoft. But I could be wrong.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

me your dad posted:

I can't get my Surface Pro to stop requiring a password when waking.

When I run netplwiz I see two User Names which are the same. Is this a duplicate, and could it cause problems? What would happen if I removed one of them?

I'm pretty sure one of those accounts is for the Microsoft account sign-in, so you shouldn't touch them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Khablam posted:

Really don't think this has been an issue since pre-SP1 vista; changes to program files happened so long ago that just about everything knows it needs to get permissions and does so.

I mean, you'd think so, but..

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

isndl posted:

Doesn't this only work for old Valve games? When did third-party titles get that kind of support?

It can vary pretty hard, but: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

It was pretty nice when Dark Souls PTD came out on Steam some time after the retail release and I could just plug my key in and get it there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's been some rumor that Steam will no longer work due to UWP or someshit in 5 years and MS will force everyone to download from the Windows Store. It's kind of funny.

That 'rumour' was from the head of Epic Games, who is apparently a huge loving moron.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Grog posted:

Besides the UI changes (some of which are kind of annoying), it broke the ability for programs/drivers like DS4Windows and InputMapper to use their "exclusive" modes without workarounds that need to be done after every login. Apparently the same kind of thing happened with some of the preview and initial builds for 10 and it's an issue that Microsoft likely created accidentally. Other than that, haven't really done enough testing to notice anything else.

Apparently the SCP DS3/4 drivers exclusive mode works, so at least there's an option there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

but anyone willingly using OneNote gets a big-rear end "bitcoiner" label appended to their contact info.

This is an incredibly dumb thing and I'm at an utter loss as to how you actually conflate these two things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

FLV is a container for a weird early 2000s codec, like I said. What are you even getting new FLVs from in 2017?

OBS defaults to it for DVR recordings, I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I just disabled the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration scheduled task and that stopped it. Office itself is still working, for now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Ever since the Creators Update, my tablet's been doing that stupid 'plugged in, not charging' thing where I have to go in device manager, delete everything under battery and restart for it to actually run off of AC.

Is there something else I can do to fix it?

My T100 seems to be doing it a lot more too, though I just have to replug it as far as I've found.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's almost like different people want things to work different ways, to suit what is best for them personally. Weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Volguus posted:

And that's exactly what I don't want. And it takes hdd space, where especially on portable devices is at a premium. For example the $1000 CAD Microsoft Surface Pro Core M 4GB 128GB has (as the name implies) 128GB SSD.

The hiberfile on my i7 Surface Pro with 8GB of RAM is 3.3GB. The 4GB won't be losing any real space.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's definitely something hosed up with the upcoming Windows 10 update. Whenever the computer idled for too long, it doesn't seem able to use Direct3D anymore. Yesterday I played some GTA, shortly after a reboot for whatever reasons, thing idled overnight, now it can't initialize the DirectX device. I had that with another game before, too.

I had that happen last night, but I'm on 1709/16299.371.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

You happen to use NVidia hardware and run the latest driver?

Ayup.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

In favor of Totally Legit Antivirus We Swear?

Probably in favour of seeing Defender is the culprit.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Xik posted:

Since this update:

DNS is apparently case sensitive:

:psyduck:

I'm only running one server on my home network, so I'm updating my putty session to uppercase and calling the problem solved.

Curiously, trying to ping my RPI3 (retropie) sees this issue, but my FreeNAS11 box and both W10 PCs don't seem to have the same issue when being pinged, any case will do for them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Incidentally, does creating that thing affect the computer in any way? Don’t wanna get in trouble

Nope.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Oh Windows :frogbon:

One logout later...

dunno if the battery icon is imgur being weird though...

I've noticed the battery being blurry like that on my Surface since the last big update. I can't tell if it's only sometimes or if I've stopped noticing it, though :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/07/11/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-17713/

....anyone else get this sudden sinking feeling? Like, "this is going to gently caress up my workflow immensely" sinking feeling? Like, "they probably put diagnostic hooks into it that have the unfortunate side effect of acting as a keylogger"?

No.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sininu posted:

Uhhh, mine's especially weird:
pre:
u - Uninstall tool (For Autodesk stuff)
p - Check for updates
d - Discord
a - Discord
t - Discord
e - Discord
s - Check for updates
No idea how it picks Discord

It's because Discord's target path is "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Discord\Update.exe --processStart Discord.exe" and uh..I guess having a D in there makes it more likely to pick Discord? I dunno.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The "tooltip on task bar icons persisting after moving the cursor away" bug that's persisted since Win7 is my favourite.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

isndl posted:

If that's the one I'm thinking of, at least there's a simple fix of shift-right click. Still haven't figured out how the bug is triggered though.

Yeah, that fixes it but sometimes it happens again within like ten minutes, other times maybe a day. It's just such a baffling bug.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I don't think anything's up to Myth II's level yet where if you installed it to C:\ the uninstall would wipe as much of your hard drive as Windows would allow.

There was an patch for Phantasy Star Online 2 that deleted a bunch of files (including stuff in System32) if you had the game installed to a non-default directory. They pulled it within an hour, but it hit over 20k people before they did. That was a fun one.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Laserface posted:

I got a new laptop to replace my surface pro 3. Is there any way besides cloning the ssd in the surface to migrate everything, apps, files, settings and all, to the new machine?

Why hasn't Microsoft figured this out yet?

If you sign in with your MS account, settings can transfer, Onedrive can do your documents if you've set it up for that, MS Store stuff should go over too. Standard Windows apps though, lmao if you think that will ever happen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's easy for me to say "well I haven't used Explorer's ZIP functionality since XP", but..that's not really the case for the vast majority of home users I don't think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Well, I'll miss Edge being the only browser that doesn't annihilate my Surface Pro's battery, I guess.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Have you actually tried this out or are you just parroting MS marketing?

Yes, Chrome definitely razes the battery way faster than Edge does on my 2017 Pro. Naturally everyone's use cases are different, but if I wanted to watch Youtube poo poo for few hours, Edge was definitely the better choice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Youtube is a different case to normal web browsing because it serves avc to Edge and vp9 to Chrome. If you force avc in Chrome using h264ify the gap will close.

Ah sorry, that was just an example - even general browsing or whatever get the same results for me (also h264ify never actually worked for me, but that's a different issue :v:)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Atomizer posted:

How do you know h264ify wasn't working (did you check the Stats for Nerds?)

Well, it apparently works now so I guess I won't complain about that but yeah when I tried it before Stats for Nerds always showed VP9 in use and /html5check showed it supported it. Oh well, problem solved a bit, I guess!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Should I just set it to Never Notify and be done with it?

Nnnnnoooooo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

IIRC my ASUS T100 had an Atheros NIC and that thing had a very specific hate for my college's wireless network that I could never quite figure out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Javid posted:

Jdownloader is great for :effort: ripping video or audio from YouTube, anyway. No need to use an extension.

I don't disagree, but that's not really the point

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Log readers like WhoCrashed can often point out if it's a specific driver that's causing it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It's pretty vague, yeah..

If I had to guess, some driver is maybe really misbehaving with Hibernate and crashing the HAL pretty bad?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I hope not :( I really like the square windows of 10. I thought Aero was very garish and ugly, and would always grab square themes when possible. I wish Windows was able to be themed as well as XP as. There were some amazing set ups for that OS.

The XP theme was the best thing to come out of the Zune existing, it's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't forget the ones that do actually fix the issue, but is either a YouTube video with no commentary and a dubstep soundtrack, or is in article form but prefaced with a thesis on how Windows is a popular OS and hey, did you know that sometimes it has bugs, and the one you have is a common issue that we're going to learn how to fix today?

You forgot the part where they type narration into Notepad very slowly