Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to get a Windows 10 license with my Windows 8.1 install, without actually installing Windows 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

If you don't want to install Windows 10, you will have to buy a Windows 10 upgrade license as you would have bought an upgrade license for any other Windows release (or just regular Windows 10).

Does imaging the drive, upgrading, and restoring the image work, then?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Yes, the license will remain valid for that hardware configuration.

Eletriarnation posted:

You can also disconnect your current drive[s], attach a spare, install 10 using your 7 key (with a November or newer image only), and then swap back to the original drive[s] if that's easier. The hardware signature that determines if your previous activations remain valid isn't tied to which drive you use at all.

So it's tied to the hardware, nontransferable? drat, that means I need to actually build this computer soon...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nielsm posted:

Your Win10 license is a "digital entitlement" tied to your hardware ID, that entitlement should be valid to the end of time, for any number of reinstalls, as long as the hardware doesn't change too much.

Your Win7 OEM license also should still be valid to reinstall with, but to comply properly you have to wipe the Win10 install.
If Win7 won't activate, call the activation phone and explain that you had to downgrade manually from 10 for whatever reason. That should be a valid reason.

How much is "too much"? I mean, if your motherboard were to die...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, that doesn't help much if it's an old machine where the motherboard isn't really produced anymore...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Weird, my Vista computer had an OEM install and my Gigabyte board died, was replaced with an ASUS P5Q Premium and I didn't need to reactivate.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rusty! posted:

The start menu is fine, but the search is crap:

http://imgur.com/In9PGmj

Literally the reason I'm still on Windows 8.1

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snow Fire posted:

Search has worked perfectly well for me, haven't had any problems with it not finding stuff instantly, guess I should count myself lucky-nya~

Why this

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't handle this

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"The Year of our Lord"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At this point I just want Vulkan to take over so I can switch to Linux.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never said it would, but it would definitely help.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

necrotic posted:

Not as long as game devs keep using DirectX.

Well, yes. This is why in my original post I wanted Vulkan to take over.

Was that unclear somehow

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Eletriarnation posted:

My bet is that they won't deliberately extend it because anyone who hasn't upgraded already is either hell-bent on avoiding it or never turns their computer on, so what's the point? Extending it sets an expectation that the deadline won't be real for Windows 11 either if they decide to go through this whole song and dance again, and the biggest immediate effect of another month extension will probably just be more gamers being able to activate their new Skylake rigs with grey market Windows 7 OEM keys.

There won't be a Windows 11, iirc.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arsten posted:

I played with that a month or two ago. The support is very buggy.

VLC? Buggy?

What a surprise

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Windows 10: I have no idea what that error is

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine a world where goons can communicate and understand each other.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what happens if I name my PC "Theseus"?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. Only time I had excessive boot times was when I had a ton of external wd greens hooked up.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What were the programs people used to make search not lovely?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
UWP is the devil.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/sda

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ what is going on in here? You know we have a security thread right?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Microsoft would never move to shut out competition, control platforms, and act anti-competitively.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So am I reading correctly that I'll have to toggle all the dumb privacy/telemetry/screenshotting bullshit off again after updating?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not too enthused

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Will I get native weechat?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who is this thurrot?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"gently caress you, got mine. Git gud."

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People suspend their desktops?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wolrah posted:

Do you not?

I like saving power and reducing the heat output in my house while also retaining my system state. Hibernation and lots of RAM aren't exactly best friends, so sleep/suspend it is.

No. What's the point of a desktop if you're using it like a laptop? Just plug one in to the monitor.

Mine runs plex and a few other services 24/7, as does my old e6750 which acts as a NAS. It also hasn't been hit by mandatory updates and restarts. Maybe I somehow disabled that. My uptime is usually on the order of months.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NFX posted:

Wait, people turn their stoves off? What's the point of a stove if you're using it like a camping stove? Just hook one up to your gas line.

TIL Computers are an excessive fire and suffocation hazard.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

>dat excess cabling

You gotta consider cable management, yo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

xamphear posted:

It's 2016 and people are still disabling their swap files. With Microsoft so eager to remove control from the end user, why haven't they removed that from the system properties control panel? Just leave the option for people to pick which drive it lives on, and keep everything else as automatically managed.

Because Windows 10 is an operating system, not an embedded device.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how long until microsoft turns Windows into a platform-agnostic set of APIs and is done with it?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redeyes posted:

I have to tell about 5-10 people a DAY to reboot holding shift to fix whatever Windows 10 suspend fuckups are going on. Drives me loving crazy. Thanks MS!

What does shift do?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A good poster posted:

Shrink it through GParted in Linux, or through Disk Management in Windows?

I'd say do it through gparted. Disk management doesn't like to move things around in order to shrink them in general, and hates resizing the system partition.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Please close programs to free up memory"

What is even going on

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
But it is set to system managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably Chrome then. It's been running for a few weeks.