Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

awesmoe posted:

Given that I am happy with windows 7 on a desktop pc primarily used for gaming, should I upgrade and if so why?

If you've got an NVidia card, you'll get marginally better framerates on Windows 10 than Windows 7 on pre-DX12 games. The FPS improvement really came in Windows 8, but if you're coming from 7, it's new to you! ATI's drivers are a bit more hit-or-miss, especially in CrossFire setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

robodex posted:

Windows 10 is fine

Except for the start menu and search randomly breaking.

I discovered today that there's even a special dialog that pops up when they break. It actually says "The start menu and Cortana have stopped working. Sign out and sign back in and we'll try to fix it." and there's a button that logs you out.

Yes, seriously.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Microsoft just needs to stop trying to make the Windows Store happen entirely. It's a cesspool.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

ilkhan posted:

Its supposed to be a major revenue driver. It's not going away anytime soon.
Which is fine, because devs and customers aren't coming around anytime soon either.

I know their plan was to make Windows 10 free (and the updated-forever 'last version of Windows') and make up the revenue from the store and the like, but at what point do they accept that's simply not going to work and start drawing up plans for a traditional-retail Windows 11 and push people to it? And will they still have the market power to do so by then?

I mean, not even Apple could make a desktop-OS app store successful. Surely Microsoft has to have already seen the the writing on the wall.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As far as anyone's determined you'll use bash and (tolerate) it. Also it's, you know, Ubuntu.

zsh isn't there by default but it looks like pulling it in from apt works.

The only entrypoint into the Linux subsystem is bash.exe though, which is a tiny executable that looks like it basically just spins up a bash process in the subsystem and redirects its IO to the console window, so you can't enter directly into a zsh session.

But you could have a windows shortcut to do "bash.exe -c zsh" which will get you close enough.

edit: Nevermind, doing "bash.exe -c zsh" launches zsh as your shell without there being a bash process running at all in the subsystem, so there's that.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 7, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

What gives them the right to unilaterally decide that? Microsoft aren't our IT departments.

If you have a competent IT department, your IT-managed install of Windows 7 should never prompt you to install Windows 10.

If you don't have an IT department, then you get what Microsoft wants to give you because it's better that there's someone out there looking out for your system and trying to keep it safe and up to date than nobody doing it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
They need to better promote the fact that there's a setting to have Windows do the first time setup ("your files are where you left them") that you normally have to wait for when you log in after an upgrade automatically in the background after the upgrade without waiting for your log in. I don't mind upgrades nearly as much without the unexpected several minute wait when I log in.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

beuges posted:

Why would this even need to be a setting, as opposed to standard behaviour? I remember seeing in the feedback hub that "your files are where you left them" was supposed to now happen behind the scenes, and first login after upgrade should take you straight to desktop, but I've still had it run that setup process whenever I've logged in after upgrading so I just assumed it was broken, rather than a setting I had to enable.

I suspect it's a setting because in order for it to work, Windows has to store your user credentials so it can log in as you and do the setup in the background after the upgrade has completed. If you're in some high-security type of situation you might not want your credentials being stored, but I agree it should be on by default and disabled maybe through a GPO or something.

ilkhan posted:

Wait.
There's a loving setting for that?!?!

Settings > Windows Update > Advanced Options > "Use my sign in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update."

Probably not there unless you're on insider builds.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

fishmech posted:

What exactly don't you like about the current Windows 10 taskbar?

Having the entries from the Start Menu show up by default (ever since they expanded All Programs by default) is absolutely useless to me and just contributes to screen clutter. They need to hide that away again; or at the very least don't use the Start Menu as its data source since that's been a dumping ground for garbage for over a decade.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Of course all modern apps work fine with high DPI but almost no classic apps.
It is actually the biggest (in my estimation) problem with Windows 10. I can't sell any laptop with over 1080P screens. ARRG!
I don't think I've read they are working on a fix. I also read that MS fired most if not all their beta testers so now the Windows Insiders are the beta testers and it is a loving disaster. :(

What sort of problems are you having with a high DPI screen? I run with a desktop that has a high DPI display and two low DPI displays, and everything works as expected for the most part. I get occasional issues with mouse pointers being too small or too large, but I attributed that to the fact I'm using per-monitor DPI rather than system-level DPI.

Classic apps, ironically enough, have tended to offer the best experience in terms of things that technically aren't high DPI, because if your display scaling is set to 200% or higher, Windows will virtualize the screen DPI such that the application thinks and acts like it's running on a regular 96 DPI screen, then the DWM just stretches the window and its contents without the app even knowing about it. Every app I've seen like this has worked flawlessly.

It's the apps that tell Windows they support high DPI displays (and thus end up disabling the built-in stretching behavior) when they don't actually support high DPI that give me the most problems.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

dissss posted:

Blurry as hell but at the correct size is hardly 'working flawlessly' in my books

It's not blurry, it scales up by straight pixel-doubling. The result basically ends up looking like you just don't have a high DPI monitor for that one app. I see basically no visual difference between the app showing 1:1 on one of my low DPI screens and what it looks like when I drag it to the high DPI screen and it gets scaled up automatically (except that Windows draws the window frame, things like the window title, in high DPI).

See this example of a scaled app on top of a native high DPI app for an idea of what it looks like:

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 9, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tab8715 posted:

This application scales correctly but others don't. Outlook, Visual Studio, Powershell ISE will have fuzzy text.

Powershell ISE, VS2012, VS2013, and VS2015; I don't have Outlook on this PC to open and check. I'm not seeing what you're talking about with fuzzy text. There are blurred toolbar icons in VS2012 and the ISE (which I can forgive for VS2012 because it was made before high DPI displays on Windows was really expected to be a reality, but it's shameful for the ISE as a newer application) but the text itself is fine.

VS2012 also has some dialogs that render weird at high DPI.

This is also at 200%, and I know a lot of new behaviors kick in at that level. It may be that 150% doesn't scale nearly as well.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 10, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Tab8715 posted:

Essentially, if you have an application on the Primary HiDPi Display everything looks fine until you move it over to a monitor that's normal DPI.

Oh, yeah that I've definitely seen. I think it happens because High DPI forces the text rendering to be the non-Windows style of unhinted, truer to the font's letter forms, since that's what works better at high resolution; and in order to preserve the overall metrics of the window it has to continue using that style when you move the window to a low DPI screen.

Blame Windows' history of using heavily hinted fonts to make them look good at 96 DPI for that, I suppose.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Probably. UWP apps are a dumpster fire. I have a ludicrously overpowered PC and even still when I had the calculator app open earlier this evening, it couldn't keep up with me sizing its window after completely failing to scale resolution properly when moved between a high DPI monitor and a low DPI monitor. Weird, random issues are the expectation with everything UWP.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Khablam posted:

The overwhelming majority of laptops sold are still on 'spinning disks' and mid-range laptops are still pretty much the default purchase for most people (see: all back-to-school laptops). It's not a waste of time to optimise boot-times for them.

It feels a lot like ReadyBoost: a complex feature that provides marginal improvements in some specific situations and will be completely obsolete within 24 months.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there anything in Windows 10 that lets you set up alarms? Like a notification that comes up at a day and time you predetermined.

As already mentioned, Cortana. Just hit the Windows key, then type "timer 5 minutes" or "reminder tomorrow at noon". Or talk to it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

The Gunslinger posted:

At some point I used to be able to click the date/time in Windows to see the monthly/annual calendar. I don't know quite when this stopped working but it doesn't seem to anymore. Any way to get this behavior back? It's handy on machines without Outlook installed in case you're on the phone trying to setup a meeting or etc.

It should still work; and as far as I know there's no option to disable/enable it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Spek posted:

Anyone have any idea why Windows would start complaining (and sometimes force closing applications) that I have low RAM whenever I have less than half my RAM? I've got 16 gigs so having Windows start closing poo poo, or at the very least popping up nag windows, when I have just under 8GB left is pretty damned obnoxious.

It's been happening since Windows 8 I think. I've kinda just been hoping a Windows update sometime would magically fix it. But that hasn't happened yet and it's starting to get rather old.

Did you apply some 'super performance tweaks' that might have disabled your swapfile?

Programs are dumb and always ask for more memory than they actually need. Windows (and other OSes too) know this and assume programs are lying when they say they really need all that memory, so they won't actually allocate the memory to the process immediately -- but the OS does need to keep track that the process had asked for it, so they can provide it as needed if the program actually starts trying to use it. This is called 'overcommit'. This might be why Windows is saying memory is low when it doesn't appear to be, because if it really had to make good on all those promises it made to processes, it'd run out of memory. This is really why you want to have a swapfile even though you have plenty of RAM; because it provides a ton of space to act as insurance against those overcommits.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 27, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Spek posted:

At one point I had a 128 gig SSD as my primary and had disabled the pagefile, is that the same as the swapfile? Either way I've long since re-enabled the pagefile after upgrading to a 512GB SSD but I cloned the install over, and done a windows 8 and then 10 upgrades since then, and so maybe some weird old hidden away setting I'm not aware of is screwing with it?

Yeah, pagefile and swapfile are the same thing for this discussion. You can check your current settings by opening the Settings app, going to System, to the About page, clicking the "System Info" link at the bottom, then going to the "Advanced system settings" link on the left. In the dialog that opens, on the Advanced tab, click the Settings button under the Performance section, go to the Advanced tab, and check "Total paging file size" under the Virtual Memory section; make sure it's not zero or some other incredibly low number.

You can go into the Change... button and verify that at least one drive (that's not full or near full) has it set to "System managed".

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 27, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

PerrineClostermann posted:

"Please close programs to free up memory"

What is even going on

Overcommit. Programs are dumb and will ask for massive amounts of memory they never use because it's a lot easier to write that way. The operating system, knowing that programs do this, will happily commit to telling the program that "sure, you got all that memory, have fun" and will not actually allocate the memory to the process until the program actually starts using it.

This is why you should always have a pagefile configured, even if you think you have plenty of physical RAM (and given the fact you're getting that message you're either running out of disk space or you've manually configured the pagefile to a fixed size instead of system managed). Because the OS needs to keep track of all those promises it made to programs for memory. And even though the space those programs asked for but haven't started using yet show up as 'free' memory; it will stop honoring future requests for memory from that and other applications if it doesn't have a way of actually fulfilling all those crazy requests in the event those programs all want to use the memory that was promised to them. A pagefile provides ample memory-of-last-resort so the OS can continue to honor memory requests being confident that should the unlikely happen and all that requested memory needs to be used, it has storage it can use to fulfill it.

Notice the Commit 30.5/30.9 GB entry in the screenshot. 30.5 GB of memory has been 'committed', but there's only enough space (RAM + pagefile space) for 30.9 GB.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 27, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure why I keep letting myself getting dragged into these stupid discussions, but elsewhere someone tries to convince me that the Windows 7 and 10 kernels are practically the same, because security vulnerabilities span multiple kernel generations and because applications are backwards compatible.

Well I mean the DNA of a human and the DNA of a housecat are 90% identical, we can both eat mostly the same sort of food, and there are some zoonotic diseases that can affect both cats and humans; so really if you think about it humans and housecats are practically the same.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Chrome does not like when the video driver restarts for any reason. But in my experience when that happens, you can fix it by just dragging the tabs out into a new window. It's only whatever windows were open at the time that are broken. Windows that were minimized when the driver restarted and new windows will work just fine.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

MikusR posted:

1. Make their user account a standard user and not administrator.

This is basically the answer. Also, don't give her the administrator password. I did the same thing for my parents and their computer has successfully remained completely unfucked for years.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Flagrama posted:

I run Twitch steams and YouTube videos on my computer almost literally 24/7. At what point should Windows decide to update?

In about seven days or so when you die from lack of sleep.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I love how you misread the question as the opposite of what he asked, but still got the right answer.

But to be more clear, Remote Desktop, by design, is tied to a login session. When you log out of RDP, that session goes away and Windows has no choice but to lock because there's no display for the desktop to remain active on. You want something like VNC instead.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dylan16807 posted:

You can disconnect without logging out. A single session can go back and forth between local use and remote use.

You, also, apparently misread the question. The question wasn't about logging out. The question was about locking.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dylan16807 posted:

Huh?

I think I did misunderstand what you were saying, but if you're just talking about the RDP 'logout'/disconnect, then I don't know why you're saying it locks at the end, because it locks the screen at the start of RDP connecting. Which is what nielsm said.

Yes, but the question was this:

PRADA SLUT posted:

How do I keep windows from auto-locking when I disconnect from Remote Desktop?

Which has nothing to do with locking when you connect and everything to do with locking when you disconnect.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Oh boy, it's going to throttle current & active programs isn't it?

It shouldn't. The feature only works on Intel Skylake and newer processors; and basically what it means is that if an application in the background starts trying to do work on the CPU, it won't bring the CPU out of a low power state and into a high power state for that work unless that application is doing something user-visible, such as playing music or video or if you've been interacting with it recently. Otherwise, only the foreground application is allowed to bring the CPU into high power mode. Basically, it means poo poo running in the background is limited in how much it can burn down your battery.

If you have your power profile set to "High Performance", it's disabled entirely. I think it's disabled entirely if you're not running on battery power as well.

You can check to see if a program is currently being throttled in the Task Manager, under the details tab, by showing the Power Throttling column.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Ruflux posted:

e: What the gently caress I just realized the taskbar menu is a hackjob laid on top of the regular Win 98 style menu. Why??? :psyduck:

Compatibility. Lots of stuff hook into context menus, so basically any context menu that existed in Windows 7 or before can't really be changed over to a new-style menu without breaking poo poo. (Same reason why there's *still* a hidden progman window on your system, for compatibility with apps that interacted with the Windows 3.1 Program Manager shell).

The closest they can get to making the taskbar menu "new" without breaking poo poo is just styling the existing menu to look more like the new style. Not entirely sure why they didn't restyle the desktop context menu in the same way, though.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yeah really the goal it looks like they're shooting for is to allow the loaded registry data to be able to benefit from all the memory features they've built for user processes (including compression) that isn't available to data that's sitting in a buffer in the kernel paged pool. This apparently only recently became possible because of the new type of minimal blank-slate processes (Pico Processes) they created recently that they use in the Linux subsystem.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

phosdex posted:

How is that regedit in a tabbed window? Mine isn't like that.

Insider builds of Windows have it as a feature, no need for Groupy.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Large pages in NT smell very suspiciously like a bespoke feature that was added at the request of one specific Microsoft customer that had one very specific use case; and if you're using them in a way outside of how that very specific case uses them, you're off into uncharted and largely untested territory.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Just waiting for someone to claim that being able to postpone for 7 days is not enough because they absolutely need to use their consumer-level PC with its consumer-level OS without interruption for 7 days straight and how dare Microsoft get in the way of such an incredibly common use case.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
That's literally not a problem if you're using anything other than Windows 10 Home, because Windows 10 Pro and up allow you to configure Windows to require the user's permission before restarting for an update, and allow it to be put off for up to the maximum delay -- which is 7 days by default, and can be turned up to 14 days. And if 14 days isn't enough for your video encoding, you can even go beyond that and explicitly, proactively elect to pause updates for 35 days.

If Windows is rebooting unexpectedly for you for updates, it's either because you're running the version of Windows intended for home users who don't know how to operate a computer (in which case you should probably get the edition of Windows that isn't intended for that use case); or it's because you haven't bothered to actually configure it the way you want it.

If you're still configuring it via "Active Hours", then you haven't configured it correctly. Active Hours is superceded entirely by the greater control you can exert through gpedit.msc or through registry settings.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Dylan16807 posted:

That sounds great! What exactly do I do to set it up, and when did they introduce that? I have Pro, and the last time I tried to make it ask the user before restarting it failed entirely. The mix of functional, semi-functional, and non-functional group policies is a giant pain. In the end I put it on "ask to install" mode, but that's not ideal.

Run gpedit.msc. Go to Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update and then change these policies:

• Set Configure Automatic Updates to 4-Auto download and schedule the install.
  • Enable No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.

Once those settings are changed (you may need to reboot before it takes effect, not sure) Windows will no longer automatically reboot unless 1) you've given it explicit permission to, 2) there is no active user session (a locked desktop counts as an active user session), or 3) unless you've ignored the notification for 7 days. If 7 days isn't enough, you can change the Specify deadline before auto-restart for update installation policy to any value between 2 and 14 days instead.

With that pair of options, you'll get a notification telling you there's an update waiting, with buttons to install now, install the next time the computer is idle, or to open up the Settings app to schedule a time within the deadline period.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 18, 2019

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I have two problems with the Edge Beta that are keeping me from ditching Chrome entirely and using it as my main browser:

1. Occasionally, playing a Netflix video bluescreens the entire PC. I suspect some fuckery is taking place in Microsoft's DRM stack.

2. When you're playing DRM'd content, you can't take a screenshot of the browser. Not with Print Screen, not with the Clipping Tool. gently caress that.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

but in the meanwhile use Greenshot?

Unsurprisingly (considering Greenshot uses the documented methods for capturing the screen), it doesn't work.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Considering that, to the OS, it looks like you literally pulled the signal cable from the monitor, it's a sensible behavior and I'd rather have that than users getting confused about applications opening on a display that no longer exists except virtually, because it was plugged in once two weeks ago.

I have a similar problem with monitors that unfortunately don't have a configuration option to fix their presence behavior when they sleep. In my case, at least, Windows is the one telling the monitor to go to sleep. It should have the smarts to understand that "I just told that monitor to sleep and it disappeared entirely, maybe I should assume the monitor's still actually there -- at least until I tell it to wake up and discover that it doesn't respond".

It's infuriating beyond belief; and I haven't even found a way to make the registry editing to force the monitors to appear to be present work either, since I have a mix of 4K and standard resolution monitors, and as far as I can tell the virtualized monitors don't work right in that situation.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

baka kaba posted:

could also be some dumbass patent preventing people from doing normal and good things

It was probably a dumb Steve Jobs thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Start > type "sign in options" > Change the value of "Require sign-in" from "When PC wakes up from sleep" to "Never". Yes, your PC isn't going fully to sleep just from the screen turning off, but it's covered under the same setting.

That will make it so just the screen turning off won't require a sign in. Then you should be able to separately configure your screen saver interval and configure the screen saver to require a sign in after it activates.