Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Might've figured out the reason my mouse cursor keeps disappearing. Dunno.

I actually don't have a mouse. I use Joy2Key to turn my joystick's input into mouse and keyboard actions. I also use windows' keyboard-numpad-to-mouse function for more minute control, if I need it, which I toggle on and off with the num lock key.

The mouse disappears whenever I turn mousekeys off, and since the computer doesn't think I have a mouse plugged in, maybe it goes to tablet mode? I can still interact with things if I guess the mouse's position.

Sorta weird. I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

At the very least, better than Windows ME.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Ah! Cortana stopped responding when I yelled at her through my microphone. I think I may have hurt her feelings.

Anyway, is there a way to get her to set a timer? Tried to cook a pizza for 22 minutes, she just sent me to google.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Starts faster than 7 for me. The quad-screen snapping and digital desktops are really handy. Cortana would play music just by asking, but she's still sulking.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

thechosenone posted:

I heard it has windows defender built in. Is that all one needs, or does one need greater protection than that?

Defender is okay, but it's bare bones. Fine for regular browsing, but if you plan on downloading dubious things, it is better to have more protection.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Downloaded the most recent update. All of my language packs are broken,.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Marinmo posted:

Honestly not trolling, but aren't like, everyone?, using shift+delete which bypasses the recycle bin and just deletes the file immediately?

I've learned something today!!!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

MohShuvuu posted:

What happens if i use it over a network?

You tear the borders of our dimension asunder and an old one will emerge from your screen to rule over our world and minds.

Alternatively, you'll have a watermark on your desktop. Either, or.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I can only really stand the white if I accent it with pink. Not sure what that says about me.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

All of my chrome extensions seem to have disappeared. I'm annoyed.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Stanley Pain posted:

Please show us a log

Truga posted:

Windows 10 is the best

It's -okay-. Linux is better.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

She's still sulking at me, so

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

D. Ebdrup posted:

Does anyone know if Windows 10 Home can backup to UNC paths (network paths, specifically) like Windows 7 (and newer) Pro can? It's the one major feature that's always been lacking in Windows 7 Home.

You're probably kidding, but I dual-boot FreeBSD 10.2 and Windows 10 on my workstation - takes 28 seconds to restart and boot to either OS. Windows for gaming, FreeBSD for everything else.

That's a great idea! I should do that!

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Google Chrome becomes unresponsive whenever I lock it to either side of the screen. Dunno what's up.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Snap it to the side then resize it a tiny bit smaller from a bottom corner. No idea what's going on or why that works

Snapping with the windows key hotkeys also works. That might narrow it down.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Jan posted:

So, two things:

1. The memory compression thing has in fact been live since RTM was pushed out. It's definitely what's happening.
2. My issue with Chrome tabs going inactive seems to be a tangentially related feature of Chrome where it automatically discards backgrounded tabs when memory usage grows. I'm willing to bet Chrome doesn't take into account the compression store memory and just starts killing off tabs left and right despite that memory being "available". That issue page has a command line option to disable auto discard, so I did.

Thanks a bunch! I'll try that when I get home.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

JohnnyCanuck posted:

What are you guys using to easily switch audio playback devices on 10?

Right click volume icon in taskbar, press the P key, press down either once or twice, tab twice, enter.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

The progress bar hasn't moved since yesterday.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

I've run across issues like this before. You might have to kill and restart the update process via command prompt. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-update-stuck-downloading-updates

It worked! Thanks a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Is it possible to have a different wallpaper for each virtual desktop?