Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How exactly does the use of a pin make a device and account more secure than the use of a full, strong password? I'm totally not following, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

KillHour posted:

Backups scare the poo poo out of me because nobody ever actually tests the drat things.

It's not a backup if you haven't practiced it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who honestly knows how insider builds are going to work once OS licenses become subscriptions bound to MS accounts and not the hardware, too.

It only gets better with Office 2016 themes + Win10. The semi-customizable "themes" that place theme-specific watermarks in the upper left half of that bar result in artwork that spans the draggable and nondraggable parts with without a seam.

This post is off topic: Fuschia, is there a, um, story behind that avatar?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I've set my region to Canada and my language to Canadian English, but "Cortana is not available" for that combination, even though help seems to indicate that it should be?

Localization isn't working on your system. Look into localization updates / services.

If it was working, the warning would have read "Sorry, but Cortana is not availble."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Which programs are concerned about?

FYI, Microsoft does indeed have the capacity to spy the poo poo out of you, but like Dropbox they do really only use data internally for product research. The app store will know what you search for in Bing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Serious question: What do you use for management?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zero VGS posted:

Spiceworks and Azure AD to inventory, PDQ Deploy to dump a Group Policy folder into everyone's C$, like a dozen flash drives to concurrently clone more workstations, BitLocker by hand, toss everyone's Desktop/Documents/Downloads folders into their OneDrive For Business sync folder as a comprehensive backup plan, buy the same one model of laptop in batches over eBay, and Excel sheets. I'm kinda infamous in the IT threads for being out of my mind, but it's not so bad actually.

Frankly that's sounding pretty efficient.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There are Win 7 Pro OEM keys available on Ebay for $10.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

On the other hand, Raspberry Pis are cheap and Openconnect is extremely easy to set up and use.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yes. Your IT dept can look up how to manage the start menu via Powershell, exporting and importing layout as an xml document.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Do note the bit on Techned about inported FULL menus or imported GROUPS being un-editable. May or may not matter in your use case.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nor will it help with timely bugfixes for games on Linux.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

OSaaS is happening as the options for non-adopter holdouts on Win7/8.1 include:

1) *nix

2) Keep installing Win7 /8.1 on all future hardware. Don't worry, I'm sure Intel will keep making device drivers for new features for Win7 forever.

3) Never upgrade your hardware.

Each of these options removes an MS customer from relevance. Everyone else can proceed with their regularly-scheduled post-patch crashes until one comes out that accidentally kills patching. At which point we get Windows 11.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have fun without DX12 I guess?

What specifically do you think was a communication mess? poo poo was fucky before free upgrades started last year, but about a month in things were clear regarding which specific cases would be covered by the upgrade and who would need to talk to volume licensing. This offer cutoff date has been in the sand for a while, and if you want to use Pascal cards in the future with the architectural changes DX12 brings...

Vulkan will probably be the winner in a five year horizon, but that's your estimated expected existing system lifetime, so are you afraid of anything other than the EULA?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If a linux gaming system plays what you need, then hey, good for you, don't bother with Windows ever again and just wait for more Vulkan adoption. DX12 is the short/medium bandaid developers need to get unfettered access to resources. They'll go Vulkan as time and growing expertise win over.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

E: I'm dumb

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goosing a phone activation has always been a Windows licensing trick for home users and is probably not dependable as either Plan A for your home needs or an example on an internet forum on how tough / lax Win10 licensing is / isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Robo Reagan posted:

just got bash and im hella excited to be disappointed by whatever dumb asterisks involved when they say linux on windows
Windows
Linux
*in*