Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

I was trying to upgrade my father's laptop, turns out someone installed pirated copy of windows 7 ultimate on it, which is stupid since he has a valid license for home premium that came with the laptop, is there anything I can do to downgrade to a legit version of windows, something that wouldn't involve reinstalling? Or am I SOL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m in the EU so $5 keys sounds great to me.

Thanks.

e: Does the same hold true for Office? Searching for "Office 2016" on eBay shows me a bunch of auctions for things like "Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus Office 365" for 5 GBP which seem also too good to be true.

About that windows 10 key, just make sure that the seller is somewhat reputable.
I bought a key a few years ago and after changing a motherboard it wouldn't reactivate. After a short phone call to MS it turns out that the seller must have sold the same key to lots of other people and they flagged it as pirated.

Edit: it doesn't really change anything though I just can't change some of the personalization options.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Thanks microsoft

https://i.imgur.com/TbjT8mr.gifv

Thankfully fixed itself after restart.

porkinson fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 20, 2019

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

mike12345 posted:

Is it possible to move certain apps (based on name) automatically to a different desktop? I've used an app called dexpot to do this in Win 7, not sure where to get that functionality now.

You might want to look in to Display Fusion. I don't know if it has this specific function but it has an extensive scripting engine so it might be possible to do something with that.

I use it to switch between 2 monitors and a TV while simultaneously switching between different audio devices depending on which screen I am switching to. It's pretty neat.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

This exact thing happened to me just today at work. I was able to fix it by restarting explorer.exe, not much of a help but it's better than logging out I guess.