Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've uninstalled "Get Office" from "Apps & Features" as well as by right clicking on it. It keeps coming back after reboots. This command, run in an elevated Power Shell, is supposed to completely remove the package from the system:
code:
Get-AppxPackage|? name -like *MicrosoftOfficeHub*|remove-appxpackage
So, if you're having this problem too, you could try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lowtechs posted:

Go to the old control panel and select Devices and Printers then right click on the icon for your computer and select Device Installation Settings.

I think it was ThermoPhysical who posted about it first.

Doesn't work. Or at least it's not consistent or guaranteed. I've seen some people say it works, but plenty more saying that they're still getting drivers (myself included). I've had all 7 PCs in the house set to disabled and they're all still pulling drivers.

xylo posted:

I disagree with this.

I agree with this.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.

I had no problems putting the Recycle Bin in my Quick Access list just by opening it, right clicking the "Quick Access" header and clicking "Pin current folder to Quick Access." Dragging and dropping it also worked for me.

Are you talking about some other quick access thing?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

taiyoko posted:

Is there some way to leave enabled hidden files/folders in File Explorer, but not have it show the desktop.ini on my goddamn desktop?

Desktop.ini files are suppressed by the "Hide protected operating system files" setting. Re-enable that and they should disappear.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Let's say you have a Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise machine in use at a business. It is absolutely imperative that it not shut down or reboot EVER, outside of manually handled shutdowns attended by a human when absolutely necessary. Is there any way to configure Windows Update to work in this fashion, or is it simply not possible? From what I can see, even the "notify me to reboot" option still does a automatic reboot if you don't schedule one within a certain time frame.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Gerdalti posted:

I would say you use Group Policy (safe assumption is in use since this is a corporate network) to configure update behavior for this computer and others of its ilk.

Microsoft has said a few times that they aren't loving with businesses ability to control their environment.

I've been running an Enterprise install and playing around with the group policy settings. They don't seem to be 100% effective, and they don't often communicate which ones are going to be ignored by which version of Windows 10. I've set the policy to level "2" and still had the system download, install, and reboot, automatically. It's entirely possible I'm doing something wrong, so if anyone else has played around with this, let me know.

Edit: VVV I'm just using the local policy editor, and they are applying. They're just being ignored, as far as I can tell.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 20, 2015

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

codo27 posted:

One of these days when I open a new tab in Edge and nothing happens when I start typing I'm going to loving burn the whole block down. YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CLICK THE ADDRESS BAR FIRST

Don't use Edge?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Is there a reason copy dialogs insist on showing up underneath every other window? It's kind of annoying to have the only indication that Ctrl-V did anything be the little green progress indicator in the taskbar.
Yeah, this has been happening since Windows 7 (at least) and always drives me nuts. I've googled it a few times over the years and haven't ever found a way to fix it. If someone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

xylo posted:

I thought that was some Ubuntu desktop shot for a second. Glad you were able to get it customized like you wanted.

This, but sincerely (unless you are being sincere). Part of the value of Windows to me is being able to make it work and look how I want. My customizations aren't as drastic as his, but that doesn't make them any more or less valid. I'm glad that Windows can, for the time being, still be configured however you'd like.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Segmentation Fault posted:

This only works if microsoft is the only company you're using a service from. If you're going to freak out over this stuff you might as well stop using consumer electronics in general.

So your only options are all or nothing? You shouldn't take any measures, because it'll never be perfect?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Gunslinger posted:

Anyone else have "Get Office" reinstall itself? I didn't even notice until I started seeing the notification again. Is this going to be a recurring thing? I already own Office :(

Yep. I mentioned it a ton of pages ago. You have to uninstall the appx entirely via PowerShell to make it go away for good, I think. Run these two commands in an elevated PowerShell and it should delete them for good.
code:
Get-AppxPackage|? name -like *MicrosoftOfficeHub*|remove-appxpackage
Get-AppxPackage|? name -like *SkypeApp*|remove-appxpackage

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The changes they made to the Start Menu between 8 and 10 are all good, and it's honestly close enough to the Start Menu I need that I'd probably be happy using it... If it worked reliably. I've gone back to using a Start Menu replacement (Start10) just like I did in 8, for most of the reasons you guys have already said. It's slow, sometimes doesn't come up, sometimes won't complete a search, sometimes doesn't find what I need it to, etc...

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

go3 posted:

KB3081455 broke my Surface's ability to see wireless networks, rolled back and working again. Ugh.

Yeah, I gave Microsoft a month to prove that automatic forced updates and drivers wasn't going to be a problem. I ended up disabling the windows update service. I'll just do updates once in a while, like I did with 7 and 8. Hopefully someone in the meantime can make a tool to replace the old functionality of picking which updates you want BEFORE they get installed. I'd pay $5 for something like that, like a good Start Menu replacement.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

EconOutlines posted:

Biggest complaint so far? Auto-updates and restarting. Heck, I don't mind if it auto-downloads them, just don't restart my PC. I'll know this via mobile if I can't access DropBox, Plex or torrents are seen as a Hit n Run.
I've disabled the Windows Update service and plan on doing them every couple months like I used to. I'm also hoping a 3rd party makes a show/hide update tool that lets you hide them BEFORE Windows Update attempts to force them down.

EconOutlines posted:

I'm not sure if this is a Win10 thing, but having 3 monitors, I could only see video using Media Player Classic on my main monitor. Here, I can move it to another monitor and it'll play fine.
Go into the MPC settings and under "Video" change the renderer. Try EVR, VMR9, System Default. One of them should fix the issue.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I just realized something:

What the hell ever happened to OneGet?

It got renamed (to 'PackageManagement'), but it's still included in the base install of Windows 10. It theoretically supports multiple repos, but right now the only one is Chocolatey. It also has a more limited feature set when compared to choco.exe so you're better off installing that.

Maybe it'll get better in the future, when/if there are more repos to pull from, but for now there's little reason to use it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

nzspambot posted:

well no there are more then one; MS Gallery for example or if you're smart you can roll your own internal nuget feed ;)

And I don't find it any worse than choco; have yet to have any issues with a "limited feature set" and I use it very heavily in combo with DSC
Well, as one example there's no update.

'cup all' or 'cup packageName' upgrades installed packages to the latest version. That's kinda handy, wouldn't you say?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Skarsnik posted:

You did right, insider builds for a dad? You must be insane

Yeah, seriously. That was some nutty advice with a real weird justification.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Unlike every other cloud storage provider out there, Microsoft doesn't provide Encryption at Rest for your data. They've been swearing up and down for years that they're going to add it, so maybe cutting back on all this stuff is them paving the way to finally enable it? I've avoided One Drive like the plague ever since I found out they don't even take that basic precaution.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

redeyes posted:

Just installed the update and it is a full OS upgrade leaving the Windows.old folder in the root. It broke my HyperV machines forcing me to re-establish the physical mappings to the drives it uses.. no idea why that happened. Next it reset my default printer.. not a huge problem but im sure I'll get a bunch of people calling me saying their printer stopped working.

Other than stuff not working, it looks a bit more polished with the color matching title bars.
Are you saying you installed the update via the ISO? Or that your windows update automatically installed and it did a full Insider-style OS upgrade?

Because oh man, if the windows update patch is a full blown in-place OS upgrade... gently caress doing that multiple times a year!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Marinmo posted:

Afaik the only way to get rid of it safely is to use the disk clean-up tool. 19GB for me. It's basically re-installing Windows.

Yeah, gently caress doing this multiple times a year, or hell, even once a year. Windows in-place upgrades are admittedly better than ever, but can still result in some seriously janky results. Plus, if you install or tweak anything outside of a per-user context, all that stuff and some computer level settings are just blown away by the upgrade progress. I've already seen some other threads out there from people who thought they were just doing another typical windows update only to have it take 40 minutes and come back to a dialog box telling them that some of their programs did not survive the upgrade process and will need to be manually reinstalled.

I really want colored title bars, but not at the cost of a complete OS in-place upgrade reinstall.

I'll just do a clean windows install every couple years, and defer upgrades like this. Oh Windows 10... Two steps forward, two steps back.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 12, 2015

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Draup posted:

Unless you are running enterprise you won't be able to opt out of these updates.

I am, but all anyone has to do is disable the Windows Update service. Not that I'm going to recommend anyone do that, but it's possible and super simple.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GokieKS posted:

I'm on W10 Pro so I can use group policy to disable updates altogether, but I don't really want that - I just want the stuff I uninstall to stay uninstalled when an update happens.
From what I've come to understand, the semi-annual major updates are entire in-place OS upgrade reinstalls. There's no way to make your changes survive that. These updates aren't Service Packs, they're entire OS upgrades. Start thinking of them in those terms and you'll understand the situation better. You aren't installing Service Pack 1 into your Win 7 install. You're upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

GokieKS posted:

The difference between a service pack and an OS upgrade is just semantics
Service packs just install some new files into your current OS installation. An upgrade moves your C:\Windows folder to C:\Windows.old and sets up an entirely new OS install. That's what this November update does. It's identical to the process of going from 7 to 8, or 8 to 10. Absolutely identical.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Has anyone figured out an easy way (or even a good way) of creating a default domain user profile? Unlike Win 7 and XP (we didn't do 8) you can't just copy and paste the profile folder and have everything transfer over. It's going to be a loving nightmare if we can't do a good default profile - some of our PCs have over 100 users logging in, and I sure as hell don't want to have to set up each profile with all of the bullshit switches MS makes you go through to turn off crap now.

Does \\domain\NETLOGON\Default User.v2 not work anymore?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

MikusR posted:

It won't. LTSB gets only security updates.

Yeah, that's the entire point of LTSB. It doesn't get any upgrades, ever.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
From what I can remember of my limited testing last summer, all of my UPGRADE installs of Win10 enabled IIS (despite it not being active in the current OS) but all of my CLEAN installs did not. I ran into it on every upgraded PC because one of the apps set to autorun at start (XBMC/KODI) tried to use port 80 and naturally barfed an error.

I fixed it in the short term by opening up services.msc then stopping and disabling the IIS service. I fixed it in the long term by doing clean installs everywhere for other reasons.

All I can think is that something in the upgrade process itself requires IIS running, and then it's never re-disabled after the fact.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which got rid of everything. Are you telling me it'll all come back when I do a Windows update or whatever?
The next time they push out a quarterly upgrade (not an update, which happen weekly/monthly) and it does the whole "installing windows" thing, yeah, they will all come back.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

el_caballo posted:

Is there seriously no way to prevent Windows 10 from changing my Synaptics touchpad to a PS2 mouse? Every single update I need to reinstall the driver.
Disable the Windows Update service or roll back to Windows 8.1.

I think those are kinda the only options right now.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Given that Windows will happily let you run an .exe file from your own desktop or mydocs, making a folder or part of a folder in Program Files "Full Control: Everyone" is absolutely meaningless. Now, if you're in a corporate environment and use Software Restriction Policies to lock down running of executables to a whitelist of locations, then yep, it becomes a problem.

Everyone in here who sets up Software Restriction Policies on their home PC raise their hand. Looks like that's zero of us.

This isn't to say that Steam isn't "doing it wrong" if you go by the letter of the law. They absolutely are, and that's why most games installers (like MMOs and poo poo) that require user-initiated updates, install to ProgramData and not Program Files.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

ilkhan posted:

Press: Windows updates are a mess and a pain in the rear end. When will MS get their poo poo together?
MS: Introducing Windows 10! Upgrades are free! Simple, no mess updates and new features and everyone will be up to date and secure.
Press: Windows updates are a mess and a pain in the rear end. When will MS get their poo poo together?

The "press" wasn't wrong either time. It's possible to gently caress things up in different ways.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Windows 10, in 2016: "This folder contains filenames that are too long for the Recycle Bin."

Sure, okay. That seems like a reasonable thing to run into still.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Sometimes the program you just installed won't show up either, and might show up hours/days later? The Win10 Start Menu is a hot mess.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I keep it pinned to the task bar, since having a jumplist is super handy for RDP. Pin your most used ones at the top, and then let the lower group cycle recents.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Gunslinger posted:

So the start button continues to "break", necessitating a reboot. Anyone else experience this? I've seen this at work and at home now, makes it a real pain when you want to lock a workstation or etc.

Also I have to say that the latest upgrade trick they pulled was pretty despicable, that's some poo poo I expect from malware.
Windows Key + L to lock your workstation. Faster than using the Start Menu, even when it does decide to work.

I personally gave up on the stock Start Menu and installed a replacement. Check out: Classic Shell, Start10, StartIsBack.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Fast Ringers: How is the anniversary update shaping up as compared to Build 10240? I haven't budged from that yet, but I was thinking about sucking it up and upgrade-installing when there's an ISO available with the new summer build.

What's new/good/fixed? What's worse? Have even more control panels disappeared into the Settings app, never to be heard from again? Is it possible to shuffle backgrounds yet without using regedit or digging up a link to the old-style Desktop Background control panel?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

xamphear son, how have you managed to stay on that build?
LTSB. I don't want to do full upgrade installs more than once a year, tops. Even once a year is pushing it. Upgrade installs have certainly gotten a lot better over the years, but they still result in a bunch of effort after the fact. With any luck the anniversary upgrade will have stopped stealing default program associations and I'll have completely sidestepped that minor shitshow.

VVV: ok? thanks?

xamphear fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 29, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
All of the positive comments about the upgrade installs have been interesting. I'll give the anniversary update a spin as planned, then reconsider running them more frequently in the future based on that experience.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't handle this
What is your problem-nya~

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Unhelpful nonsense that we were all ignoring until you quoted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

stevewm posted:

This shouldn't need to exist....
Yeah, with SSD speeds these days, the tool might as well just initiate a reboot. Shouldn't take longer than a minute!