Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to get a copy of the digital entitlement from the Win10 upgrade? A type of "proof of purchase" if you will? If I ever switch motherboards and have to reactivate I'd like to have something better than a screenshot of "Windows 10 is Activated" from my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GrizzlyCow posted:

So, uh, I did something wrong. I upgraded to Win10, but I for some reason all I get is a black screen when I try to log on. Is this a common issue? Will I have to refresh all the way back to Windows 8.0?

You can Google that one, there's various possible solutions. For me I was able to open task manager then close and rerun explorer to get the desktop to reappear, then further Windows updates fixed it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have any computer I upgrade from Windows 7 or 8, to 10, using the official windows updater.

Then, I do a fresh install using the official Windows 10 ISO, generated from the official media builder and turned into a bootable USB drive (or, alternatively, I use Acronis True Image to image Windows 10 onto a PC).

Windows 10 will at random:

1) Activate as soon as it goes online

2) Activate after an hour

3) Activate after two days

4) Activate after a week

5) Never activate

All in roughly equal proportions. I've seen this behavior across dozens of PCs and about 4 different Windows 10 clone images (Acronis True Image).

So, what the gently caress. Now, after a couple days and some prayer, eventually a Windows 10 image might start activating each new PC instantly, and once it starts doing that it continues to work instantly. If I change absolutely anything on the ghost image, the process of "You must connect to the internet to activate Windows" and "This product key is blocked" errors begin again, only to disappear again just as mysteriously.

Microsoft made it pretty clear that I'm free to do clean installs after the initial upgrade, but what in the hell is happening behind the scenes where both clean ISO installs and Acronis images are rolling the dice? Are the Win10 activation servers still this loving swamped or something?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

Are there any risks with going back to windows 8 after upgrading to 10?

No, it just puts back your Windows.OLD folder, so should appear exactly the same as it was.

Kurtofan posted:

Also is there a way to disable headphones' jack on windows 10? Mine's are busted and I can't get sound from the speakers because of it (computer think headphones are always on).

Right click on the speaker icon near the clock at the bottom right of the screen. Click "Playback Devices". Right click on the headphone port and click Disable.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

I don't get the option to disable the headphone port, I've only access to Speakers, Microphone and Audio Mixing.

Well, it should be one of them. You might have to install any old audio drivers if you upgraded from Windows 7/8, I've seen old audio drivers screw up the Win10 image we made at work so we had to uninstall them and let Win10 auto-find it's own driver instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, only a few options left:

1) Try some canned air on the headphone jack, might have some poo poo stuck in it that's tripping it off

2) Realtek control panel sometimes gives an option to turn off auto-detection of plugged in devices

3) Ask your motherboard maker if they can cross-ship you a replacement, if they have really good service like EVGA they might

4) Grab a soldering iron and desolder the old jack and put a good one in

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

hyperbowl posted:

Really dumb question. My parents bought a new HP desktop with windows 10 preinstalled. I want to do a clean install, but don't have a product key. The microsoft website says it's probably embedded in the motherboard and I won't be asked to enter one during installation. Does that sound right?

That's how they've been doing OEM product keys since Windows 8 so it should activate fine. If it doesn't, it's on HP to figure it out for you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Ah, well sure. 10 is pretty nimble! If only the start menu wasn't donkey balls.

http://www.classicshell.net/

Go there, install it, it is free, works great, feels pretty much just like Win7 with the same menu placements and everything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
What I don't get is how they weren't able to handle unlimited data. I mean, there's deduplication, right? They have gigantic Azure datacenters, right? Unless people were what, uploading a few petabytes of completely encrypted :filez: blurays? They really couldn't manage just cutting off the top 1% offenders?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lowtechs posted:

It was rolled out to the fast ring last week. I have it and there is no build number at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

Has anyone seen it for the non-Insider builds yet? I'm on Windows 10 Pro without "defer updates" checked.

redeyes posted:

I just got an Intel Compute stick for 130 with the Windows 10 license. Quite frankly this is a wicked good deal for a decent computer. If you get one update the BIOS right off and install the latest 10 drivers from Intels website. After doing that stuff the thing performs just great.

Another really good deal right now is this Kangaroo PC, it is Skylake Atom processor, so faster than the compute stick and fanless: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001

I used a NewEgg coupon to get a pair of them for $90 each and they include Win 10 Home. They are made from an established projector company and are reviewing very well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So, you know how they said that the Fall Update would detect if you had a Windows 8 OEM Key in the BIOS and would activate automatically?

Yeah, that's not actually true... every time I ghost a new laptop, I have to actually open up Produkey, copy the Win8 key out of the BIOS, and paste it into the "Activate Windows" wizard.

That's certainly a gently caress of a lot more convenient than before but jesus, Microsoft, even your front-and-center new features won't work as intended.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MikusR posted:

Who and when said that? It was only about you being able to activate Windows 10 by manually entering Windows 7 and 8 key.

Someone reported it that way, damned if I can find the link right now.

Still, let's assume there's no link. If you have a PC that shipped with Windows 8 and needs a clean install of Window 10 from Microsoft's official bootable drive making app, and you install Win 10 Fall Update, it will not automatically activate (I confirmed this myself), and the *consumer* has to go and rip the Windows 8 key out of the bios and manually enter it. You don't think that's loving stupid of MS when they could have made the Fall Update go and check for the bios key itself?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

Activations are always on the honor system. They arn't going to question you.

He's saying he's replacing the motherboard he's already activated Windows 10 to.

If you still have the Win7 key lying around it will probably work fine if you punch it into the Win 10 Fall Update.

If you don't have the key, good luck, you might be able to convince them. Lemme know if that actually works.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Came in here to ask, does anyone know what the gently caress KB3118754 does? It's a new cumulative update for 1511, and changes the build number. I can't seem to find any release notes and the patch didn't explain anything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dpbjinc posted:

They're almost certainly Software Assurance keys they stole from work or MSDN keys they paid students a few bucks to give them.

Or, they could just be selling Windows 7 Pro OEM keys and calling them Windows 10 Pro, since after the Fall Update media builder version of Windows 10, you can punch those in and they'll activate identically.

The only other possibility is, they could be upgrading a pirated Windows 7/8 to 10, which still creates a permanent digital entitlement for 10 which is bound to that motherboard, then calling up Microsoft to say "hey I need to replace the motherboard, I need a new key". I have no idea if that would actually work buy a lot of those third-world eBay key sellers have a lot of time on their hands.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rusty! posted:

Use a keyfinder to get your product key.

I used to use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder but Produkey seems to work better.

Also, for the person with the Vista PC...

If it came with Vista, this new Skylake PC is probably faster, includes Windows 10 Home, runs on 5 watts, is pocket sized and fanless, and is $99 (less if you find a newegg coupon): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883722001&FM=1

I bought two to test out for work and after working with them a few days I'm bulk ordering a dozen for various light-duty things.

But yeah it's a very good PC with Win 10 included for about the same cost as buying a license.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 21, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Glad to hear this recommendation; I saw this linked a week or so ago somewhere and was contemplating getting one to replace my parents' ancient Athlon 4350e desktop that's slowly degenerating. Hard to beat that for the price, all I have to do is figure out a bit more storage for them. I had replaced the hard drive with an SSD, what's a good enclosure to put one in?

You can expand the 32gb of storage they have with the included Micro SD card slot, SanDisk has 128gb Micro SDs on Amazon for $50.

For a 2.5" SSD enclosure you could just get the cheapest USB 3.0 enclosure you can find on eBay/Amazon and Velcro it to the PC, they're both the same form factor so it'd make a nice little stack.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

That Kangaroo thing looks cool but the fact that they couldn't get anyone to proofread their marketing spiel makes me pretty wary.

It's made by InFocus who has done projectors for decades, it has Microsoft and Intel seals of approval on the box, 1 year warranty, and the build quality is fantastic on the two I got, they're just thick aluminum bricks. I can't really fault them for not paying proofreaders, I'm not sure there was much budget left for marketing after hitting that price point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Yeah sorry, I missed that post. Talk about loving annoying. This whole product key business sucks.

I finally caught a break with it. I made a Windows 10 image for my company from a clean 1511 ISO right before they revoked it, and with Produkey I'm able to grab the Win8 key out of the BIOS and paste it straight into the Activation tab to get these all upgraded now. Still have another couple hundred laptops at work to go through but it beats the previous slog of doing an in-place Win8 upgrade to 10, then reimaging to the pre-configured 10 image then praying that it would magically decide to activate some time over the next few days.

Imagine an alternate universe where Microsoft said "free Windows 10 for everyone, here's the ISO, it's pre-activated!" Would that have been so horrible?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

You have that many workstations and no KMS?

We have 500 workstations and no domain. Don't worry though, I know what I'm doing :clint:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Serious question: What do you use for management?

Spiceworks and Azure AD to inventory, PDQ Deploy to dump a Group Policy folder into everyone's C$, like a dozen flash drives to concurrently clone more workstations, BitLocker by hand, toss everyone's Desktop/Documents/Downloads folders into their OneDrive For Business sync folder as a comprehensive backup plan, buy the same one model of laptop in batches over eBay, and Excel sheets. I'm kinda infamous in the IT threads for being out of my mind, but it's not so bad actually.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Diovanti posted:

I have a laptop with 2 hard drives. It's currently running Windows 7. I'm getting a message offering a free upgrade to Windows 10. Can I install that Windows 10 to the second hard drive, keeping my Windows 7 install intact? If so, will this still be considered to be properly licensed by Microsoft?

It's going to upgrade it onto the one with your current partition, and turn your Windows 7 "windows" folder onto a "windows.old" folder so you can revert or dig anything up.

You can of course wipe the second drive and use something like Macrium Free to clone the first drive over, verify it boots, then upgrade that. That's a sound way to go about things. And yes, that would be properly licensed as long as you only boot from one drive at a time on that one PC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Little Mac posted:

Really? At this point I'd eat the $100 I already gave to MS and just pay $35 more for a Pro key. Where at?

All I have is a thumb drive. My actual HDD is 1TB and only has about 100GB left. :/

There are tons of Windows 7 Pro keys on eBay for $35 or less which will fully activate Windows 10. They are almost always OEM; as opposed to "full packaged product" which are retail keys and are officially transferable, OEM technically have to stay with the original PC. But a lot are sold with a single stick of RAM which seems to fit the definition as far as eBay is concerned, and Microsoft has allowed every one of them to activate without any issues, as long as the key hasn't been like triple-dipped activating multiple PCs at once.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

I would trust an ebay key about as far as I could throw your mom

Cool, go buy one from the Microsoft store for $200 like a big idiot then.

Or spend $9 on an eBay key, here's a guy who's sold 300 of them with positive feedbacks for all: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Pro-COA-Windows-7-Professional-COA-RAM-COVER-Phone-Activation-/181947244712

Microsoft's not going to go and and revoke your Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. Don't try this at a company where you can be audited, but for home use, technically the keys come with part of the computer so it's still OEM. If it was illegal for sure, Microsoft could have asked eBay to block them, like they did for selling the key without an additional part of the PC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Dominoes posted:

Does anyone else have trouble with windows 10's startmenu search? It finds my programs, but can't find any files. My index settings are set up properly.

It takes 10 minutes or so if you're just immediately trying it after an update before it shows results, that's how it's been for me on all my work PCs, and all those have solid state drives so yours might be even longer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Yeah that's been known.

It did that to me too, only for CPU-Z, and there was immediately a newer compatible version on their site. I guess that's actually convenient in a way to let you know, but still kinda hosed up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Eletriarnation posted:

I don't think there is a Windows 10 Enterprise, just Pro. Could be wrong but my company is upgrading from 7 Enterprise to 10 Pro. The actual server version will be Windows Server 2016 and isn't out yet.

There's a Windows 10 Enterprise but you need an SA or an Enterprise Agreement to purchase it, there's no online/in-place upgrades for it.

It's still just a different product key that unlocks Applocker, Windows-to-go USB creator, etc. so there's no way it's going to mess with gaming at all.

It's also not something you'd wind up with accidentally, you'd have to be trying to game on a work-issued PC.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rusty! posted:

Yes, crap for PIN unlock

I set up pin unlock for a few dozen people and Windows just stopped asking a few of them and now only gives the password option. I mean, that was a lot of nagging if it's just going to go "eh, nevermind" later on.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
My answer to all Win10 start menu insanity is to just install Classic Shell since it's still more comfy and usable. You can always uninstall it in a few seconds if you don't dig it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

So how do I fix this on my Win10 Pro laptop, not phone, not RT, local account only:

I've never seen that one before. Are you signing in with a pin, or a password? Have you tried the other? What about the self-service reset on Microsoft's site?

Did you leave a local admin account on the laptop other than the primary account? I'm assuming this is something to do with getting locked out of a Microsoft Account specifically.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Installing Win10 on the old spinner drive can take hours though. Faster method that I've done on piles of work laptops:

1) Install Produkey on your old hard drive to find the Windows 7/8 25-character key
2) Write it down, switch the old hard drive with the new SSD
3) Boot with the creation tool and clean install Win10
4) Get the PC online, go to the activation wizard and punch in your old Win7/8 key and it'll activate instantly

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

Does Win 10 also have issue with not waking up from sleep by mouse/keyboard input? Or is it my new laptop's fault instead?

I've more often seen the opposite, waking up in the middle of the night with no input.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Only with an Enterprise license. By the way, if you remove those, they get pushed down automatically. You need to block them via local GPO.

Yeah it's hosed.

And if you have Win 10 Home, there is no local GPO :)

Maybe you should just give up and play Candy Crush

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

By Microsoft Decree, Candy Crush joins the pantheon of Windows bundled games, along with Solitaire, Minesweeper, and the pinball game they borrowed from Maxis.

I feel like Ski Free is due for a comeback.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have any insight to fixing "kernel_security_check_failure" blue screens in Windows 10? Googling I found some people suggesting it was due to overclocking so I removed my overclock and it still happens every couple days, some people say it's NVidia drivers but I have AMD, and another suggestion was viruses but I have a pretty much stock installation and Windows Defender doesn't see an issue.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Factor Mystic posted:

See if BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html can tell you which driver.

Thanks for the suggestion; I took a look and I've gotten ten random "kernel_security_check_failure" crashes over the last month, and NIRSoft seems to be flagging my Xbox One controller driver every time? Each entry has this highlighted:

Guess I'm hosed because it happened a month ago when I only had a normal Xbox One controller, and this month with my Xbox One Elite controller I just snagged on refurb.

It might specifically be my Xbox One Wireless Receiver Dongle for PC, I can take that out of the equation and see how it goes using only wired USB. It could also be that I'm routing my audio through the 3.5" headphone jack on the controller.

Edit: I'm realizing I've crashed even more than that too because I often hit the reset button before the log finished writing. Good thing my PC reboots in 4 seconds...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

brylcreem posted:

I bought a (supposed) Windows 10 Pro License key on the equivalent of ebay here in Denmark.

He just sent me a picture of a sticker, that says "Window 10 Pro for OEM Software" and then the key.

(the key has been removed, of course)

If I change product key via settings, it takes it, and then wants me to activate, but then gives me an error:

0xC004F014

There a lot of solutions for that online, but before I try any of them, I just want to know if I need to track the guy down and break his kneecaps, or if the key looks legit?

I did the same thing, bought $5 eBay OEM key, gave me that error, so I tried the activation hotline and that didn't work either. Then I called the Microsoft Answer Desk, dude from India remoted into my PC and said "key is legit but isn't working for some reason", generated me an entirely new key, made sure it activated, then emailed me the key in a ticket in case I ever needed a proof of purchase. Pretty cool and I did it two more times since then with that method.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

thebigcow posted:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the media creation thing, create media, boot from media, plug in Windows 7 key when it asks for a key.

Media means an 8gb USB drive, in this instance, and you'll need a seperate working PC to download the media builder software and set it up.

You can buy Windows 7 COA stickers on eBay for around $5-$10 and they will activate, sometimes you might have to reboot or call the Windows 10 Answer Desk to get the key to take, but that's some nice savings.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Your recovery partition is too small, that's why it's failing and reverting. You have to use something like Easeus to bring it up above 500 gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Do you mean 500MB? Because both of my Windows 10 machines are running on SSDs that don't have 500GB of space between them and they update just fine.

Uh yeah that's what I meant, I was posting in bed.

Upgrades from Win 7/8 and sometimes just reimaging 10 can cause automatic resizing of the recovery partition, but if it is below 500mb the upgrade will fail.